The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Straight Back SS (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58850)

BLY 02-02-2020 07:18 PM

Straight Back SS

So...I finally updated my 5.1 stereo system today. The first track I listened to was Straight Back from Mirage. OMG! I love these discs. I so wish there was some pre Buck/Nicks albums released on the 5.1 surround sound format. It takes these masterpiece albums to a higher level.

Macfan4life 02-02-2020 08:03 PM

Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.

BLY 02-02-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1256164)
Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.

Yes..yes..yes...

jbrownsjr 02-05-2020 07:56 AM

If there was ever a McVie/Nicks collaboration, this was it.

cbBen 02-05-2020 02:02 PM

I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.

BLY 02-05-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1256194)
I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.

I hear mostly Stevie on all harmony vocals with Christine on the SS version.

cbBen 02-05-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1256201)
I hear mostly Stevie on all harmony vocals with Christine on the SS version.

Thanks. What is SS?

BLY 02-05-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1256202)
Thanks. What is SS?

The 5.1 Surround Sound version.

desertangel 02-06-2020 01:09 AM

I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.:shrug:

BLY 02-06-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertangel (Post 1256205)
I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.:shrug:

White album, Tusk and Mirage versions were released with the box set collection.

desertangel 02-08-2020 06:36 PM

Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.

HomerMcvie 02-08-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertangel (Post 1256247)
Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.

Well, I think these packagings are Rhino's specialty. I doubt they would see the light of day without Rhino producing them.

desertangel 02-08-2020 08:16 PM

I guess I could be a bit more specific... I scooped up How the West Was Won and Pet Sounds in DVD-a from Best Buy when they were in the blow out bin years ago. After having bought Rumours and SYW in the same format, I had enough material to compare sonic qualities. My #1 is Rumours just due to isolation of tracks amongst the collection of speakers. #2 SYW only because thereÂ’s not as much separation. Pet Sounds #3 due to not much separation at all and #4 Led Zep due to no separation. 3 and 4 were engineered by label staff from what I can tell. Obviously I enjoy hearing multi- track separation, the more the better. I have amassed quite a collection of various recordings of Mac material over the years, much of which hasnÂ’t seen the light of day in a long time. I have vowed not to spend any more hard earned money on these recordings unless I can be assured they will be pleasing to my particular taste. The last I bought were the Nicks remasters, BD and WH... which while not 5.1, still a bit underwhelming to me... thatÂ’s when I took the vow.

If these Rhino Mac 5.1s have killer multi-track separation amongst many 5.1 speakers, then I would buy. Wonder if they have any demo cut down discs up for grabs.

HomerMcvie 02-08-2020 08:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have Rumours 5.1, and I never thought there was that much separation of tracks. Maybe I didn't have my receiver set right? I've not listened to it for years, but I might give it another go tomorrow.

When they repackaged White, Rumours, and Tusk in 2003, I swore off purchasing them ever again. And I haven't. I've probably bought a dozen different Rumours in my life. That's enough for me.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256251)
Thanks for clearing that up.

That's enough for me.

You always walk a thin line when you say you're never going back again.