The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How are you different from every other ledgie? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25846)

David 03-08-2006 03:41 PM

How are you different from every other ledgie?

What what thing about your Fleetwood Mackiness do you believe makes you different from every other ledgie?

In my case, I would say that my disturbing yet all-encompassing love of "The Derelict" (that's off the "Penguin" album for those of you who haven't a clue) by short-termer Dave Walker is what sets me apart from every other ledgie who ever lived.

So what is it in your case?

ontheEdgeof17 03-08-2006 03:54 PM

I have an obnoxious personality.

Street Angel is my favorite album.

JazmenFlowers 03-08-2006 04:21 PM

that's a good question. I'll have to think about it, unless someone has some ideas.

I have OCD.

I think it's safe to say I'm the only one, or one of the only ones, who defend Stevie no matter what and I don't hate anything she's ever said, done, sang, written, worn, etc. I may not like it as much as other things, but nothing I don't like. :o

Jyqm 03-08-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I have an obnoxious personality.

No, Curtis, the question was what makes you different from most other Ledgies?

EDIT: To answer for myself (though I know there are at least a few others here who feel this way as well): I could give two ****s about the soap opera or "personal" aspects of the band and its music. I don't care about any of their personal relationships, I don't care how Lindsey and Stevie feel about each other (or whether they were getting together on whatever tour), and I think the question "What real-life person or event did Stevie/Lindsey/Christine write this song about?" is stupid and meaningless and rarely anywhere close to the point. None of that has even the slightest thing to do with why I listen to Fleetwood Mac, and the endless "theories" about all of that kind of crap drives me up the wall. (And, I will admit, I think obsessing over all those sorts of things is a poor way to go about listening to and appreciating music. Any music, not just Fleetwood Mac's.)

amber 03-08-2006 04:24 PM

I never saw Stevie until way after I fell in love. Never ever.

wondergirl9847 03-08-2006 06:12 PM

Me either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyqm
I could give two ****s about the soap opera or "personal" aspects of the band and its music.

I don't care either. I just wanna hear the dang music. :nod:

Not sure what makes me different from other Ledgies. I guess, what I just said and also I'm a Lindsey fan first and foremost and prefer just to see him in concert from now on and never see FM again, but that will NEVER happen. :(

Not sure how many Ledgies love and adore Danny Kirwan. I would be one of those. :)

Lala 03-08-2006 06:13 PM

Umm...

I think Mirage is a pretty good album (except for Empire State) and I listen to it a lot. I'd go as far as to say that it's better than Tango (ducking now)

I'm fascinated by the BN history, but I'm not a 'shipper who thinks that Lindsey and Stevie are secretly married or anything.

I think When I See You Again is haunting (It wouldn't be if Lindsey didn't come in at the end).

I enjoy live versions of Gypsy

Can't think of anything else. On a non-Mac topic, I'm 17 and don't live with either of my parents.

chiliD 03-08-2006 06:17 PM

I was a fan BEFORE the band was formed (meaning, I was a Peter Green fan before he formed Fleetwood Mac)

I think the Rumours album was a travesty for the band..the album, the phenomenon, the "soap opera".

I think BOTH Lindsey & Steve should've quit at the end of the Tusk tour.

I think The Dance album & tour was the worst thing that Fleetwood Mac could've done at that point in their history. It basically killed the band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
I think it's safe to say I'm the only one, or one of the only ones, who defend Stevie no matter what and I don't hate anything she's ever said, done, sang, written, worn, etc. I may not like it as much as other things, but nothing I don't like. :o

Read Jyqm's reply to Curtis...ditto here. :laugh: You're not really alone in that...the bus is VERY crowded with your type. :thumbsup:

bretonbanquet 03-08-2006 07:06 PM

I think "When You Say" is a great song - I must be fairly unique in that :laugh:

I too couldn't care less about the Stevie/Lindsey situation - to me they both have to continually justify their places in the band - as long as they keep doing that (just) then they're OK with me.

I also think Jeremy Spencer is greatly underrated - hey, I actually know who he is, which sets me apart from some Ledgies :rolleyes:

mylittledemon 03-08-2006 07:37 PM

I'm different............

When ChiliD says ridiculous things like "The Dance killed the band"...I laugh, instead of being apalled like most Ledgies.

I actually play guitar LIKE Lindsey. My first introduction to guitar was fingerstyle so it just progressed into electric playing when I discovered Fleetwood Mac. BoBo and I went round and round with this one. I think most of the musicians on here that play guitar use picks.

I secretly think anything thats been released after The Dance is no longer classic Mac, or really Fleetwood Mac at all. (whoops...how do I tell them that because of the unfreezing process I have no inner monologue. I hope I didnt say that out loud just now...)

PenguinHead 03-08-2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyqm
No, Curtis, the question was what makes you different from most other Ledgies?

EDIT: To answer for myself (though I know there are at least a few others here who feel this way as well): I could give two ****s about the soap opera or "personal" aspects of the band and its music. I don't care about any of their personal relationships, I don't care how Lindsey and Stevie feel about each other (or whether they were getting together on whatever tour), and I think the question "What real-life person or event did Stevie/Lindsey/Christine write this song about?" is stupid and meaningless and rarely anywhere close to the point. None of that has even the slightest thing to do with why I listen to Fleetwood Mac, and the endless "theories" about all of that kind of crap drives me up the wall. (And, I will admit, I think obsessing over all those sorts of things is a poor way to go about listening to and appreciating music. Any music, not just Fleetwood Mac's.)

AMEN! Your words are my feelings exactly. The never-ending soap opera that some fans like to perpetuate does detract from the music (and I fault the band, mostly Stevie, for pandering to the past). Granted, they are interesting people, but some can get carried away with obsessive tabloid theories. My theory is that, relatively speaking, their lives are more boring and mudane than we imagine. And the business about finding hidden meanings/secrets in their lyrics? Also imagined! Stevie changes the meanings of her songs through the years...which means they mean nothing other than what's in her gobbled hippy mind at any given time.

Yes, those rock gods we follow and sometimes worship are really just humans with the same pretensions and failings as everyone else.

David 03-08-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon
When ChiliD says ridiculous things like "The Dance killed the band"...I laugh, instead of being apalled like most Ledgies.

Nah, nobody should be appalled. Chili likes the same group we like, all in all. He just wants to break through the monolithic & somewhat oppressive tunnel vision for the Nicks & Buckingham years of the group with a rhetorical stance that counteracts the wholesale swallowing of material & achievement from the public favorites. Remember that he spent some of his hard-earned cash (I assume it was hard-earned!) to see ten thousand shows on the Rumours Tour, & more hard-earned cash to see three or four shows on the 1997 reunion, so you have to put his "travesty" epithets into context.

He's just trying to break through the monolith. A lot of us do that in our own ways: I do that by acting goofy & throwing out all my Fleetwood Mac memorabilia. Others do that by leaving the Ledge or committing suicide. Still others do that by committing crimes, such as kidnapping, assault, & putting kosher dill pickles on a Caesar salad.

David 03-08-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead
...which means they mean nothing other than what's in her gobbled hippy mind at any given time.

:laugh: :laugh: I like your wording!

madformac 03-08-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I think most of the musicians on here that play guitar use picks.

Well I don't play with a pick and neither does seteca and we are both primarily electric players so I'm not so sure on that one.

Okay....

Hmm, let me see.

I've shaken Peter Green's hand. If you think that's no big deal, just ask him.. :)

I pushed Lindsey out of the way to play his guitar in London :shocked: and if that wasn't bad enough made him miss his cue on "Come" in Manchester.. :eek:

I started by liking the Buckingham Nicks line up but I'm now firmly in the Peter Green camp. Not many can say that!

goldie 03-08-2006 09:45 PM

In high school in 1988, I wore a string around the collar of my shirts because that is what Christine wore in one of the pics in her 1984 solo album (that I discovered in 87-88). :o