The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Songs they rehearsed for The Dance... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52106)

Ulpian 05-25-2013 12:11 PM

Songs they rehearsed for The Dance...
 
I was watching the Destiny Rules DVD recently and saw, once more, that they rehearsed YMLF without Christine in 2003. That set me thinking...

I've always wanted to compile as definitive a list as possible of the songs which the band rehearsed, even if briefly, for The Dance, but which didn't make it either onto the DVD or the tour set list.

I heard they tried As Long As You Follow, Little Lies and Twisted. Does anyone have any idea what was tried out?

:D

Edit: maybe ignore my post! I just found this thread from 2004... http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/archiv...p?t-15373.html

vivfox 05-25-2013 01:19 PM

Rehearsals for The Dance April 18th, 1997

The Chain
Dreams
Big Love
Say You Love Me
Second Hand News
Where Were You
Rhiannon
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows Of Love
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Landslide
Songbird
Little Lies

I have never heard the 3 songs I highlighted.

MacShadowsBall 05-25-2013 03:19 PM

Poor Little Lies, even with two rehearsals ;) it still didn't get on the setlist!

There's a recording of Oh Daddy from the Dance tour on youtube. I'm at work can't do youtube. :cool:

mitzo 05-25-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1094021)
Rehearsals for The Dance April 18th, 1997

The Chain
Dreams
Big Love
Say You Love Me
Second Hand News
Where Were You
Rhiannon
Little Lies
Twisted
Never Going Back Again
Brown Eyes
Forbidden
Shadows Of Love
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Landslide
Songbird
Little Lies

I have never heard the 3 songs I highlighted.

Yeah what are those songs, who wrote them?

Ulpian 05-25-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1094030)
Yeah what are those songs, who wrote them?

There was speculation on that 2004 thread I linked to that Where Were You might be an early version of Temporary One.

bethelblues 05-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 1094026)
Poor Little Lies, even with two rehearsals ;) it still didn't get on the setlist!

There's a recording of Oh Daddy from the Dance tour on youtube. I'm at work can't do youtube. :cool:

It's a shame that Little Lies has never been performed live with the Rumours lineup. I love The Dance version of Everywhere. It's too bad they didn't have time to set a version of Little Lies that they felt comfortable performing for the album or tour. Not even once. Or like the case of Oh Daddy, just for the tour. It'd be wonderful if they updated this song from the obsolete world of 80's pop.

One thing I'd like to stress is that the band really prepared and thought out their setlist for The Dance. It was a hugely important time, and they wanted to do something great for their reunion. I wish this rehearsal time and high level of effort was put into each of their recent tours. Maybe then we'd see more new takes on very old songs and more thoughtful arrangements: perhaps the re-emergence of the acoustic version of Gypsy people have been calling for, an updated Little Lies that fits Buckingham Nicks, a Sisters of the Moon that actually rocked and wasn't dead on arrival, a Lindsey version of Albatross (one of Fleetwood Mac's most celebrated and singular songs), etc. The songs are so good, just the simple re-worked intros to Rhiannon and Say You Love Me were hugely welcome changes for me and breathed new life into the songs.

vivfox 05-25-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094061)
The songs are so good, just the simple re-worked intro to Say You Love Me was a hugely welcome change for me and breathed new life into the song.

(Hope you don't mind that I rewrote your quote to talk about one song instead of two)

Normally I would agree with you or anyone else that suggests an updated new arrangement of a song. But SYLM is so perfect exactly as it originally is that I was actually disappointed that it was the only updated classic. I didn't mind the banjo arrangement but I did not love it either.

bethelblues 05-25-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1094063)
(Hope you don't mind that I rewrote your quote to talk about one song instead of two)

Normally I would agree with you or anyone else that suggests an updated new arrangement of a song. But SYLM is so perfect exactly as it originally is that I was actually disappointed that it was the only updated classic. I didn't mind the banjo arrangement but I did not love it either.

Wait, were you disappointed in SYLM or disappointed that they didn't update more songs? Not sure I'm getting what you mean in your second sentence.

I definitely understand your point on the banjo. I liked it, but I agree SYLM is a perfect pop song. Actually, the importance of the song to the band was underlined in their choosing of it for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction performance. It absolutely belongs in the top 10 Fleetwood Mac's most iconic songs, over Everywhere, Little Lies, Hold Me, even You Make Loving Fun. I tried to make this point in that other thread. It's one of the songs the band will be most remembered for.

vivfox 05-25-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethelblues (Post 1094064)
Wait, were you disappointed in SYLM or disappointed that they didn't update more songs? Not sure I'm getting what you mean in your second sentence.

It absolutely belongs in the top 10 Fleetwood Mac's most iconic songs, over Everywhere, Little Lies, Hold Me, even You Make Loving Fun.

I wish they had updated other songs.SYLM is fine as it is. Rhiannon will never be as good as any performance of it from 1975-1982.

bethelblues 05-25-2013 11:41 PM

Gotcha. Yeah, I think that updating Rhiannon though helped compensate for your point that it will never capture Stevie's 1975-1982 performance; it provided a new version of the song, speaking to 1997 Stevie. Not as hardcore, but emotional in a different way.

I think I would count Everywhere as an updated song. As I said before, I'm still hoping they do something more exciting with Gypsy, as great as the one acoustic performance was. Gold Dust Woman, The Chain, and You Make Loving Fun were fine. I'm a fan of The Dance version of Dreams, which was great. I find I don't have many qualms with the classics in that set. The band really took the rehearsals and preparation seriously. But by now, following three more tours, I understand why some people feel certain songs have begun to sound stale; that definitely wasn't the case in 1997. That's why I wish the same effort was put into the planning this tour, where I have the feeling not as much time was spent in rehearsals, especially since Stevie was spending some of that time promoting her documentary.

KenshiMaster16 05-25-2013 11:57 PM

It really is such a shame they didn't add more to the set. I would've liked to have seen only one new song per member (sorry, Lindsey, but I much prefer Bleed to Demon), no outside solo hits, and drop Farmer's Daughter (never liked that song either). Anyways, this is what I would've liked to have seen on the tour or the special....

01 The Chain
02 Dreams
03 Everywhere
04 Gold Dust Woman
05 I'm So Afraid
06 Temporary One
07 Bleed To Love Her
08 Gypsy
09 Oh Daddy
10 Big Love
11 Landslide
12 Say You Love Me
13 Sweet Girl
14 Little Lies
15 Tusk
16 Sara
17 Isn't It Midnight
18 Not That Funny
19 Rhiannon
20 Second Hand News
21 Silver Springs
22 You Make Loving Fun
23 Go Your Own Way
24 Sisters Of The Moon
25 Don't Stop
26 Songbird

Now THAT, in my opinion, would be one hell of a comeback setlist especially while Stevie's voice still could've possibly handled Sisters miles better than she can nowadays.

Straightback 05-26-2013 12:32 AM

I remember being completely floored and blown out of the water with Lindsey's acoustic version of "Big Love." I wish now he would do a 180 and blow us away with a full-blown rockin' version of the song with the whole band.

vivfox 05-26-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straightback (Post 1094071)
I remember being completely floored and blown out of the water with Lindsey's acoustic version of "Big Love." I wish now he would do a 180 and blow us away with a full-blown rockin' version of the song with the whole band.

We all want that. But it ain't never gonna happen.

bethelblues 05-26-2013 01:03 AM

It would be great if the band had more contact with their fans, and reached out to learn what the fans want. It's impossible to do that when the band makes few if any attempts to reach out to fans. Do kind of like what the Rolling Stones did for their tour this year: a fan request through Facebook.

elle 05-26-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1094073)
We all want that. But it ain't never gonna happen.

no we do not.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved