The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   25 Years ago:The Chain (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57661)

guillamene 12-23-2017 04:54 PM

25 Years ago:The Chain

I'm sure that this has been up before, but it's hard to believe that it is 25 years since The Chain Boxes set came out in 1992.
Any memories of getting it,first impressions, favourite tracks etc?
I'll star with mine.
Remember going into my local record store in early December and the owner telling me that it had come in and she had pat it aside for me.Thrilled! Couldn't wait to get home and play it.
LOVED -and still love- Paper Doll,Love Shines,Heart of Stone, exetended Gypsy and (for me) my first Silver Springs. HATED Make me a Mask,Teen Beat etc!
Couldn't figure out the non chronological order of the tracklisting or why there were so few unreleased live tracks. Not sure about the blues material, but as it was 25 years I guess they had to include them.
Booklet was disappointing : too many pics and not enough text. Obviously little imput from the band, which is not surprising given the fragmented state it was in at the time.
How was it for you?

FuzzyPlum 12-23-2017 05:48 PM

I loved Love Shines (and especially the accompanying video) and Heart of Stone. I was still a teenager and hadn't discovered a lot of the back catalog, so whilst I was familiar with a lot of the blues-era material it was my first introduction to the Bob Welsh era music. Loved and still cherish the likes of Why, Heroes Are Hard and Come a Little Bit Closer. In retrospect its pretty disgusting more of Bob Welsh's material wasn't included.

My greatest memory is hearing Trinity. Love, love, love that song. Love you Danny, old boy. To this day one of my favourite Fleetwood Mac songs.

FuzzyPlum 12-23-2017 05:52 PM

PS
I can't understand why The Purple Dancer was not included.

jcalzaretta 12-23-2017 08:36 PM

I loved this because it was the first CD with Silver Springs. Loved extended Gypsy. Loved Paper Doll. I actually liked Make Me a Mask. Not a fan of Teen Beat. I liked Love Shines. I loved live Standback. And I really loved Disc 4. I adore Come a Little Bit Closer. This was such a great set.

Hungieman 12-23-2017 10:41 PM

Goodbye Angel became and is still is my favorite Mirage era song.

HomerMcvie 12-24-2017 03:29 AM

By the time the box set came along, I was in college, and had really walked away from my FM fandom for a few years(after being told in my freshman year, that it was really UNCOOL to like them. Although I DO remember being privately in love with BTM - Do You Know will forever be tied to a big heartbreak...pardon the reminiscing!).

Anyway, I found my boxed set in a pawn shop, probably 95-96. It was okay. I loved Love Shines and Teen Beat, and even Paper Doll! Love Shines makes every greatest hits disc I've ever made.

If any Nashvillians are reading this, the 4 discs(no box, no booklet) have been at McKay used books for a few months now. I haven't checked the condition of the discs(since I have it), and I think they're $9 per disc.

sleepless child 12-24-2017 08:10 AM

I still have it. the cassette box. thank goodness I still have a cassette player. I remember taking a train ride from Connelsville pa to Washington dc and playing it the whole way down and back.

Macfan4life 12-24-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1219359)
I still have it. the cassette box. thank goodness I still have a cassette player. I remember taking a train ride from Connelsville pa to Washington dc and playing it the whole way down and back.

Hey there. I am from Westmoreland county too. I bought my Behind the Mask cassette tape and Greengate Mall, Greensburg :)

ricohv 12-26-2017 04:20 PM

Having the extended-Gypsy on CD was great! Love Shines & Heart of Stone were pure Christine brilliance! Make Me A Mask=uggh! :shocked:
But the order of the songs & the booklet left a lot to be desired (another missed opportunity that left me frustrated).