The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Foster the People (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49139)

johnnystorms 11-10-2011 04:10 AM

Foster the People

this is odd. BUT, am i the only one who thinks "Pumped up Kicks" could be a Fleetwood Mac song (specifically from Mirage era)? disregard the lyrics... the bass line sounds VERY John to me, as well as the harmonies, the chugging guitar, am i totally off-base? listen to it again before you reply....!

KarmaContestant 11-10-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnystorms (Post 1026988)
this is odd. BUT, am i the only one who thinks "Pumped up Kicks" could be a Fleetwood Mac song (specifically from Mirage era)? disregard the lyrics... the bass line sounds VERY John to me, as well as the harmonies, the chugging guitar, am i totally off-base? listen to it again before you reply....!

I don't think it sounds anything like Fleetwood Mac, but it's a great song! The lead vocalist has a very annoying quality to his vocal when singing live, but I like it anyway.

The Chain 11-10-2011 07:53 PM

I thought the exact same thing when I first heard the song.. There is something very Macish, (or John McVieish anyway) about that bassline.

MikeInNV 11-10-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

You're definitely not the only one. Entertainment Weekly did a story about the song, focused on how most people are oblivious to the sneakily violent chorus. They said, "In a perfect piece of California cultural synergy, the harmonies in the chorus came from a Fleetwood Mac obsession, but the words were pure Tupac."

mylittledemon 11-10-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

I thought I heard a similarity, if only slight, with the chorus and maybe "Hold Me"

MacMan 11-10-2011 11:52 PM

Don't Stop, Don't Stop, Don't Stop - There's your FM connection

TerraRhiannon 11-11-2011 01:57 AM

I thought it was very Fleetwood Mac-y as well. There's something about it. Maybe the chorus or the MOOD about it. That whole album is pretty great by the way. Houdini is my favourite song they've done. :thumbsup:

On Ice 11-11-2011 10:49 AM

I knew there was a reason I liked that song. I agree that the bass line is very John McVie and it does have a Hold Me vibe to the chorus. (I think Hold Me is Christine McVie's shining moment).

UndoingTheLaces 11-11-2011 11:42 AM

I have to agree with you on this. I heard this the other day and had to buy it on iTunes. I couldn't figure out who it reminded me of but you're totally right, it's so Mac Mirage era. Very cool.

On Ice 11-11-2011 11:48 AM

It would be so cool to hear Christine singing lead on this with some Lindsey/Stevie background and interplay, the second verse being Stevie's....wow.

bangdrum 11-11-2011 02:45 PM

This song reminded me a lot of Tusk Lindsey the first time I heard it...

johnnystorms 11-19-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces (Post 1027137)
I have to agree with you on this. I heard this the other day and had to buy it on iTunes. I couldn't figure out who it reminded me of but you're totally right, it's so Mac Mirage era. Very cool.

i have my moments.

HejiraNYC 11-22-2011 03:54 PM

I don't hear Fleetwood Mac at all in PUK :shrug: . There is something vaguely Motown-y about it; maybe it's all of the reverb.

Okay, on the subject of songs that capture the Fleetwood Mac sound (Rumours album-era, specifically), I think Richard X. Heyman's "Falling Away" is a prime example. I've been a fan of his forever... he is one of those underground power pop geniuses (still working today) who just never made it to the mainstream. It's long out of print, but his 1991 album Hey Man! is an unheard classic.

IMHO, this has Rumours written all over it:

PenguinHead 11-27-2011 12:17 AM

I saw them playing on some talk show, and they really caught my interest. I bought their debut album. It's really good.

Having so much media, and so many artists that I love, it's rare instance that I would allow another addition to the family. I think the last additions were the Scissor Sisters, Amy Winehouse, and Vampire Weekend (who I'm on the fence with).