The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Pre-Rumours MacNuggets (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42847)

vivfox 01-27-2010 11:27 PM

Pre-Rumours MacNuggets

Jan. 27, 2010
Premier Guitar recently conducted an interview with AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Premier Guitar: You were influenced by Jeff Beck and Jimi Hendrix specifically, but how did Peter Green fit into the equation?

Perry: A lot of English bands came to Boston before they hit New York back then. I guess they wanted to warm up first there. I had a friend who got a lot of free tickets to the Boston Tea Party club. FLEETWOOD MAC took up residence at the Tea Party for weeks on end, and I must have seen them thirty times or more. I saw them on great nights, terrible nights, nights when they were all drunk. Peter Green's style, attitude and sound really got to me. These guys didn't care about being rock stars. It was all about the music for them. I became a big fan of FLEETWOOD MAC. I guess you could say I was most influenced by the second wave of British bands, like THE YARDBIRDS, MAC and THE WHO.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=134164

vivfox 01-27-2010 11:29 PM

Name: Terry Nash Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

I am currently a single heterosexual male living with a neutered male cat that is healthier and happier than I am, and I like to post on Internet message boards. If I would have known this is how I was destined to turn out ten years ago after graduating University, I would have stabbed myself in the head with my gift graduation pen then and there.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fleetwood Mac
Ultrasonic Studios
Hempstead, NY
10-08-74

Old school Mac. God bless Peter Green - that crazy born again bastard.

http://tofuplanktonmeatloaflive.blog...c-studios.html

vivfox 01-27-2010 11:34 PM

Its music is the real allure for the band Girls
Although singer Christopher Owens has an interesting backstory
By ANDREW DANSBY Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Jan. 27, 2010, 10:32AM

Christopher Owens' phone goes straight to voicemail. “I'm busy right now or something …” it says, capturing an off-kilter duality that makes his band — essentially a duo with guitarist Chet J.R. White — so interesting. The “or something” speaks to a ruffled slouchy vibe to Girls, in no small part due to Owens' often disheveled appearance and his openness in interviews to talk about drug use. Further, the band's debut album (called Album) isn't a polished thing. The recording has many of the bits of rough-hewn color that are the mark of an apartment-made masterpiece.

His first guitar, pictured on Album's cover, was given to him by Jeremy Spencer, a member of Children of God who was also a member of Fleetwood Mac for several years.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/6836672.html

vivfox 01-28-2010 08:26 AM

The Blue Horizon Records label is reactivated by the orchard and the warner music group.
January 27, 6:58 PMMusic Industry ExaminerMark Cope

Now this is cool…except what’s the deal with the catalog? One of THE premier blues labels, Blue Horizon Records, is about to be revived by Seymour Stein, the man that started Sire Records, and Richard Gottehrer, producer and founder and chief creative officer for The Orchard.The deal was announced on Jan. 25th at the MIDEM conference in Cannes. The revived U.K label will be based in the New York City office of The Orchard,

Blue Horizon Records was the UK’s most influential blues label. In but a short life span, in excess of seventy singles and sixty albums were released. Blue Horizon had more chart success than all other blues related labels could muster collectively. The name Blue Horizon has become synonymous with the blues boom of the '60s and '70s. Blue Horizon, which was distributed by CBS under exclusive contract, was in operation until the '70s. The label's repertoire is currently released by Sony Music Entertainment and the new label will not have access to the old catalog.

Blue Horizon Records was the home for blues artists like Otis Spann, The Fleetwood Mac Blues Band (awesome stuff), Chickenshack (Christine Perfect (McVie)’s first band), Champion Jack Dupree, Bukka White, Mississippi Joe Callicot & Furry Lewis, Eddie Boyd (Get the “Dust My Broom” album), Ansley Dunbar, Elmore James, and the amazing “Fleetwood Mac In Chicago.”

It’s too bad that the new Blue Horizon Records won’t have access to the catalog since this is a very special label. The recordings that Fleetwood Mac released were all stellar and heavily blues oriented. The band included Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Peter Green, and Jeremy Spencer. One will find the original version of the Santana hit, “Black Magic Woman,” which was written by Green. Along with the classic song “Albatross,” also penned by Green. If you haven’t yet discovered Peter Green, find the Blue Horizon recordings or any 60’s Fleetwood Mac albums as quick as possible and you will realize what a great guitar player he is and how tight this band was to play the blues. British record producer Mike Vernon founded the original Blue Horizon company. Sire later took a 50% stake and went on to take control of the company, although Sony has the catalog.

Seymore Stein, VP of Warner Bros. Records, joined Gottehrer in Cannes for the announcement. Gottehrer has stated that the label will look for new talent to distribute through The Orchard, while Warner Music Group will have the opportunity to participate in releases in Europe and the U.K. Physical product will be released "where necessary" but the label will initially focus on digital releases, on a global basis. It has not announced any band signings yet. "The real reason for doing this is both Seymour and I want to get back to functioning in a creative way (together) and discovering and working with artists," Gottehrer told Billboardbiz.com. He added, "we both work at great companies" (Warner Music Group and The Orchard). WMG will "have the opportunity to step in and bring it to a wider audience," says Gottehrer of Blue Horizon signings, although the major label group has no equity stake or formal relationship with the label. Again, it's too bad that they didn't get the catalog.

http://www.examiner.com/x-29591-Musi...er-music-group

vivfox 01-28-2010 05:08 PM

Revolver - An albumguide to the rock history (not complete yet ...
By hbrattbakk
Fleetwood Mac - Love That Burns Fleetwood Mac - Need Your Love Tonight Fleetwood Mac - Trying So Hard To Forget Fleetwood Mac - Sara - Edit Version Fleetwood Mac - Think About Me Fleetwood Mac - What Makes You Think You're The One ...
Share Spotify Playlists at ShareMyPla... - http://sharemyplaylists.com/

vivfox 01-30-2010 12:58 AM

FRIDAY, Jan. 29, 2010

Forty years ago this weekend, the Grateful Dead and Fleetwood Mac co-headlined the opening of a concert venue at 1820 Tchoupitoulas Street called A Warehouse. By the standards of today, the 1850s-era cotton and coffee warehouse’s brick walls, wooden support columns and cement floor represented an especially raw, no-frills space. But over its 12 year run, the Warehouse endeared itself to a generation of New Orleanians with dozens of landmark performances, from early ZZ Top and Allman Brothers gigs to the final performance of The Doors.

The building was demolished long ago, but fond memories remain. Tonight and Saturday, the far more luxurious Harrah’s New Orleans Theatre hosts a celebration of the Warehouse’s 40th anniversary. An all-star band of locals — including keyboardist Larry Sieberth, guitarists Jimmy Robinson and Cranston Clements, bassist Matt Perrine and drummer Doug Belote — will perform music by Talking Heads, the Who, Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Elton John, Chicago, Foghat and other acts that played the Warehouse. A preview of an upcoming documentary about the Warehouse precedes the show.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/...ry_a_radi.html

sjpdg 01-30-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 867475)
Name: Terry Nash Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

I am currently a single heterosexual male living with a neutered male cat that is healthier and happier than I am, and I like to post on Internet message boards. If I would have known this is how I was destined to turn out ten years ago after graduating University, I would have stabbed myself in the head with my gift graduation pen then and there.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fleetwood Mac
Ultrasonic Studios
Hempstead, NY
10-08-74

Old school Mac. God bless Peter Green - that crazy born again bastard.

http://tofuplanktonmeatloaflive.blog...c-studios.html

I don't mean to sound rude in any way, shape or form, and I don't want this to be seen as an attack because that is not the spirit in which my comment is made, but I honestly fail to see why this particular post is really relevant.

vivfox 02-02-2010 11:35 AM

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Early Fleetwood Mac Live

Originally posted on August 19, 2008

Fleetwood Mac. They are a household word (or, actually two words). Perhaps no band except the Stones has had such a long and varied history, from a heavily musically endowed blues band to rock titans.

There is a CD lurking around, cheap if you can find it, that documents the original band rather well. Fleetwood Mac Live—Early Recordings (MBH) does not list the personnel, date or location of the recording on the disk, and the sound quality is not first rate, but it shows off the early incarnation at their raw best. This is electric blues at the core, and what sounds like Peter Green is doing some great lead work. It is nice to hear and time has been kind to this lineup. Nothing sounds dated.
Posted by Gapplegate at 6:41 AM
Labels: blues rock, early fleetwood mac

http://gapplegateguitar.blogspot.com...-mac-live.html

vivfox 02-02-2010 06:25 PM

In case you don't already know this...

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1969 - When John Mayall's Bluesbreakers lost Eric Clapton, Mayall said he found a guy who was better to replace him: Peter Green. Peter Green then founded and named Fleetwood Mac after his rhythym section he took from the Bluesbreakers: Mic Fleetwood & John McVie. After outselling the Beatles at the time, he joined a commune, started taking acid, and wanted to give all of Fleetwood Mac's money to charity. He then disappeared from the band.

http://bigdanblogger.blogspot.com/20...eb-2-2009.html

vivfox 02-05-2010 05:07 PM

Playing at the Marquee shortly once, in 1963 was the man destined to become the Godfather of British Blues… John Mayall…. John’s famous band, The BluesBreakers went onto fame and fortune as many musicians joined and left in quite a procession over the next few years. John celebrated his 70th Birthday a couple of years ago and is enjoying plus ever. This offers deceive the notion that life is over at forty and its all downhill from there on. The list of John’s protégées is a who’s who of the music Business; a good proportion of whom are still playing today. John McVie, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, Mick Fleetwood, Jack Bruce of Cream, Eric “Slowhand” Clapton, Peter Green, Aynsley Dunbar, Mick Taylor and many more.

http://www.sevenmusicinc.com/uncateg...ues-in-britain

vivfox 02-12-2010 12:01 AM

Love LYRICS Fleetwood Mac-Blood On The Floor
Written by Jeremy Spencer.

Well goodbye world
It’s sad but true
Got a date with the hangman
I have to leave you
I shot my Darlin’
Three times of more
The reason I’m goin’
Is blood on the floor

The nights are so lonely
The days are so long
I’m in the jailhouse
Cause they say I’ve done wrong
I don’t say I’m sorry
I just say I’m sore
The reason I’m goin’
Is blood on the floor (blood on the floor)

Well I came home one night
She were lyin’,
With her legs around
Another mans bod
She saw me, stared laughin’
But she cried, when she saw my gun

Goodbye world
I guess we must part
They’re taking my life
Cause I shot my sweetheart
I don’t say I’m sorry
I just say I’m sore
The reason I’m goin’
Is blood on the floor
Oh the reason I’m goin’
Is blood on the floor
Oh the reason I’m goin’
Is the blood on the floor

Posted on February 11, 2010 at 10:00 am by admin · Permalink
In: Lyrics

http://www.lovelyrics.info/21104-fle...the-floor.html

vivfox 02-12-2010 12:03 AM

Founder of Fleetwood Mac Peter Green playing again in the Midlands
2:08pm Thursday 11th February 2010
By Adam Smith »

One of Britain’s greatest guitarists and Blues performers is coming to Birmingham’s intimate Glee Club for one of the gigs of the year.

Hot on the heels of his triumphant concert at The Robin at Bilston in December Peter Green and Friends return to the Midlands on Monday February 22.

As a teenager in the 1960s Peter was at the vanguard of the British Blues scene and at 19-years-old he replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

A year later he founded Fleetwood Mac and within three years they were the biggest Rock band in the world outselling the Beatles and the Stones.

Hits like Black Magic Woman, the achingly beautiful Man of the World and the million selling Albatross broke new ground and brought the band critical and commercial acclaim.

However, as well as being arguably Britain’s finest exponent of the Blues Peter also became one of our country’s first casualties to the drug taking celebrity lifestyle.

Already showing the signs of the pressure during an ill fated trip to Munich in 1970 Peter had a life-changing mind-altering night on acid and subsequently decided to quit Fleetwood Mac.

He then suffered with several mental health issues and consequently dropped out of the public eye.

Despite only a short time at the top Peter Green is still regarded as a legend in the music world with BB King and Carlos Santana lavishing praise on the Londoner.

In 1998 he was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and recently was included in the Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

And now with his new incarnation, Peter Green and Friends, he is enjoying performing before crowds again and is enjoying his music.

His set will include a few of his classic compositions and fresh renditions of his very own blues, R&B and soul favourites.

Tickets to see Peter Green and Friends at the Glee Club on Monday February 20 are £25.00 and are available from 0871 472 0400 or www.glee.co.uk.

http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/newsx..._the_Midlands/

vivfox 02-12-2010 01:41 PM

Love LYRICS

Fleetwood Mac-Night Watch
Written by Bob Welch.

Go on, you know you’re only one
Set me free
You take me up and turn around
But let me in
Take this shadow from my eyes
And tell me everything
Take the desert from my soul
And lift me up from down below
Let me take some pride in your creation

Cause I have lived alone in castles that were lonely
And I have cursed the dawn and wondered why I do
Well I have wondered why I live
Now I know you must forgive
Let me stand inside your magic shadow

The night is coming faster
And you’re feeling all unchained
In the north there is a jungle
Where rockets are aflame
And I hope that in the desert
There are ships and there is noise
And above the greatest city
There will shine a magic shadow
And a voice

It’s taking long but I’m getting strong as I grow old
Please believe me let the magic reach me and I will unfold
I’ll step aboard with you onday
And see my dust just melt away
And then I’ll step inside your magic shadow
dreamers…

ooooh…ooooooh…ooooooohhhhhhh
magic shadows

ooooh…ooooooh…ooooooohhhhhhhh

Have you seen, have you seen
Have you seen, have you seen magic shadows
Have you seen, have you seen magic shadows…
ooooh…ooooooh…ooooooohhhhhhhh…

Posted on February 12, 2010 at 8:20 am by admin · Permalink
In: Lyrics · Tagged with: Bob Welch, castles, Creation, dawn, desert, Everything, jungle, magic shadows, ooooh, Ooooooh, ooooooohhhhhhhh, pride, rockets, Set, shadow, shadow dreamers, ships, soul

http://www.lovelyrics.info/21186-fle...ght-watch.html

vivfox 02-15-2010 12:51 AM

Listen: Big Towne, 2061 (Mono) / Paris

While going through the library for my previous Mica Paris post, I couldn’t resist also listening to her alphabetical predecessor, Paris – the band.

Baffling how this post-Fleetwood Mac then ‘just prior to successful solo artist’ era Bob Welch group hardly gets a mention. Almost as though they never existed.

Firstly, nowhere near enough credit is afforded to the Fleetwood Mac/Bob Welch chunk of albums. Being just prior to their Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham skyrocket, it’s sadly dwarfed. As with the Peter Green era just before it, all top with must-have singles.

I was a serious Glenn Cornick fan, for ages considering him the best bassist out there. From seeing Jethro Tull’s first US show at The Fillmore East, I was in. THIS WAS and STAND UP, keepers for life. That band just plummeted downhill once he left. Replaced by a very stiff someone or other, all the band’s soul was robbed.

Therefore, with much interest did I approach Paris. BIG TOWNE, 2061, the album oddly didn’t register with FM radio – a strange twist given the Fleetwood Mac and Jethro Tull history. Not to mention it’s quality. Seemed Capitol didn’t care, never do recall much press or visibility. Add bad timing to the equation: this preceded punk by less than a year, so in no time, the tasty picking was passe.

Still, a good single. I forced it on everyone around for ages, which clearly didn’t really help the big picture at all.

http://www.somanyrecordssolittletime.com/?p=5223

vivfox 02-20-2010 11:53 PM

Fleetwood Mac Poster From Fillmore West On 11 Feb 71: 21 3/16 X 28 3/16
February 20th, 2010
Fleetwood Mac Poster from Fillmore West on 11 Feb 71: 21 3/16 x 28 3/16 Jake Pierres Medieval vision advertised Fleetwood Mac Steppenwolf and Its A Beautiful Day in three separate concerts sharing the Fillmore West and Winterland. Pierre was not a frequent poster artist and took the opportunity to sign his name front and center an unusual touch on Graham posters.

Average Price :$585

Buy Fleetwood Mac Poster from Fillmore West on 11 Feb 71: 21 3/16 x 28 3/16

http://surprisemusic02.dnsalias.org/...-16-x-28-3-16/