The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Boston show (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56590)

SisterNightroad 11-10-2016 06:53 AM

Boston show

This article is centered on The Pretenders but it's nice nonetheless:

Chrissie Hynde is ‘Alone’ on new album, but sharing a tour with Stevie Nicks

Every once in a blue moon, stars align to align stars on an epic tour.

The 1986 True Confessions Tour with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, for instance. Or Billy Joel and Elton John in 2010.

Next week, it happens again: This time, the forces that be have given us Stevie Nicks and the Pretenders.

You can’t just pick up the phone and call a mate, and say, ‘Let’s go out next month’ — a whole constellation of things have to work,” said Chrissie Hynde, 65, longtime Pretenders frontwoman and face of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band.

The Akron, Ohio, native and poster girl for punk cofounded the band in London in 1978 with drummer Martin Chambers, the late Pete Farndon, and the late James Honeyman-Scott.

Hynde is the only original band member on the new Pretenders album, “Alone,” which dropped Oct. 21. Melding Hynde’s distinct smoky voice with a “Rubber Factory”-esque thump and gritty guitar by the Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach, who also produced the record, it has a vintage Pretenders sound while also borrowing a bit of the Black Keys’s pop-rock vibe.

Hynde and Chambers — along with guitarist James Walbourne, bassist Nick Wilkinson, and Eric Heywood on pedal steel — play with Nicks Nov. 15 at TD Garden. Hynde spoke to the Globe by phone from London, as the tour began.

Q. So the Pretenders have had quite a few incarnations over the years. You’re the only original Pretender on the new album, “Alone.”

A. Yeah, when I made this new album, it started as a solo album. The album was made very much as Auerbach’s project; I see it as a collaboration with Dan more than anything else. . . . I’m not a solo artist, and therein lies the conundrum of me.

[Performing solo] is not that much fun; touring solo would be boring. In a band, as the singer, my job is to set up the guitar player. . . . It’s the closest thing I get to playing a sport — you set the other musicians up for a goal.

Q. “Alone” seems to be almost a celebration of that state. On the title track, you sing: “Nobody tells me I can’t . . . No one to say, ‘You’re doing it wrong’ . . . I like being alone.” Another song goes, almost happily, “Never, never/We’ll never be together.”

A. That’s tongue-in-cheek, I guess. A celebration of being alone would be an exaggeration. . . . It’s more a resignation to being alone and being OK with it. I mean, I didn’t set out to make a concept album. When you go in to write a song, it’s like painting — you stab at the canvas and a painting emerges.

The guys in the studio were talking about what they did over the weekend, and I said, “I do most things on my own. I go to the cinema alone, restaurants alone; I do most things on my own.” Dan said, “Write a song about it.” So I went back to my hotel room — alone — and scribbled. . . . Therein lies how most of my records are put together. My songs are more autobiographical, to get it off my chest, with no concept.

Q. Auerbach is also from Akron. Is that one reason why you sought him out?

‘Touring solo would be boring. In a band, as the singer, my job is to set up the guitar player. . . . It’s the closest thing I get to playing a sport — you set the other musicians up for a goal. ’

Quote Icon
A. I don’t really think, “This is a producer I want to work with.” I totally go by vibe. I saw him play; I dig what he does. I love the Black Keys. I said, I can work with that guy. I like to think I inspired him to be the best he could be just like he inspired me.

Q. Did you always want to be a musician?

A. I’ve wanted to be a musician since I was 16, when I really got into radio. [But] I didn’t ever think, “I want to play guitar in a rock band.” When I was a little kid, I wanted to be a cowgirl. . . . Then I was in London in the mid-’70s when the whole punk thing happened. The whole attitude of punk was non-discrimination. I would’ve been too shy [to play guitar in a rock band], but the thing with punk was you didn’t have to be good — it was pure attitude. You could slip through the net.

Q. Your memoir, “Reckless,” released last year. What sparked your decision to write it then?

A. I didn’t have anything to say before. I didn’t want to write a memoir, but you feel like you need to to move forward in your life. It’s a way of turning the page and getting some stuff out of your system. When you’re in show biz, you get asked a lot of [the same] questions. . . . You think, “[expletive] it, I’ll write it down and never have to talk about it again.” But it doesn’t work out that way. You have to talk about it even more after that.

THE PRETENDERS with STEVIE NICKS

At TD Garden, Boston. Nov. 15, 7 p.m. Tickets: $44.50 and up. 800-745-3000, www.ticketmaster.com

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mus...w7I/story.html

olive 11-15-2016 11:31 PM

Boston.. my 100℅ honest review

Where has she been hiding this. ...and why?

Animated ,& engaging, swearing and honest .... I am floored.... So glad I went.

Danielle 11-15-2016 11:32 PM

I am so happy to learn you had a good time, Olive.
Did you happen to film anything? I'm dying for a video of the band intro as she mentioned their zodiac signs. :lol:

olive 11-15-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1196420)
I am so happy to learn you had a good time, Olive.
Did you happen to film anything? I'm dying for a video of the band intro as she mentioned their zodiac signs. :lol:

For the first time I sat back and watched no pics either but she did do zodiacs.. No big to do with Vincent she said hi... She did have a hard time getting here the weather was horrible. And she said SH1T and pissed off. And the bass drum ...any one have a good picture of it ?

AliceLover 11-15-2016 11:54 PM

It was out of this world. Forget Fleetwood Mac, she was in top form. I never thought she would sound that good. I have videos of Bella Donna, Moonlight, and Stand Back. Will do my best to upload.

olive 11-16-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 1196426)
It was out of this world. Forget Fleetwood Mac, she was in top form. I never thought she would sound that good. I have videos of Bella Donna, Moonlight, and Stand Back. Will do my best to upload.

It was everything I hope she would do. And I hope she will expand her set knowing she was lied to and people love her songs no matter when they were written or which album... I kind of wish she had dropped Gold Dust Woman for either trouble in Shangri-La a real psychedelic version of it maybe or something from Street angel

sue 11-16-2016 03:40 AM

Aaaaah....you have no idea how jealous I am...

I ache to be at one of her shows...they sound amazing..
I'm so glad she is on top form.
Please , for all who cannot get to a concert, keep posting reviews..
Especially the quirky bits.

blackcat 11-16-2016 05:32 AM

That's great to read! So glad you guys had a great time! I do hope Stevie makes it to you sue.

wheart 11-16-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1196419)
Where has she been hiding this. ...and why?

Animated ,& engaging, swearing and honest .... I am floored.... So glad I went.

Sweet! so glad you enjoyed it. Now I'm even more excited to see her on Sunday!:]

SisterNightroad 11-16-2016 07:02 AM

Stevie Nicks wows with ‘24 Karat Gold’ show

Stevie Nicks doesn’t need Fleetwood Mac.

I’m so happy she has the Mac, because they’re amazing. But Nicks’ solo catalog does fine filling two hours — as she proved last night at a packed TD Garden.

The golden goddess in gossamer has huge, instantly-recognizable hits. In the ’80s she had ten Top 40 singles (not including her Mac smashes). But last night proved her “forgotten” works have equal force and beauty.

For this run of shows, she dug up brilliant pop nuggets “Bella Donna” and “If Anyone Falls,” gone from her live set since 1981 and 1983 respectively. She debuted “Wild Heart” — how had she never played that on a jaunt she dubbed “The Wild Heart Tour?” Even “Crying in the Night,” from the long-deleted, 1973 “Buckingham Nicks,” got the love it always deserved.

But Nicks went deeper. The singer devoted much of the evening to tracks from “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” made up of recently re-recorded demos. A little too polished on record, the material got nicely roughed up by the eight-piece band. The best of the bunch, “Starshine” dated back to 1979, when she stopped by Tom Petty’s house to have the Heartbreakers cut it with her.

I showed up with Hershey’s powder in case I wanted to make chocolate milk,” she said. “And my guitar.

Nicks also told stories: making records with Petty and Lindsey Buckingham, writing songs for Waylon Jennings that turned out to be duets with Don Henley, the value of high quality silk for your capes

The songs and stories made the night unique. The hits made it perfect. As she said herself, “‘Rhiannon’ has been with me at every show since 1975.” And last night “Rhiannon” was joined by “Edge of Seventeen,” “Stand Back” and — as a duet with opener Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders — “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”

Hynde and her band kicked things off with a tough, tight set true to their raw, rock ‘n’ roll legacy. But after a few ragged numbers, Hynde slipped in the most tender tune in her catalog: “Hymn to Her.” After the mystic moment, she quietly added, “That was for Hillary.” A few minutes later, she followed it up with new song “Holy Commotion” saying, “It’s about how white surprises aren’t Christians. So do what you want with that.” Lovely to see Hynde remains equal parts punk and pop.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...arat_gold_show

lulu28 11-16-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1196441)
Stevie Nicks wows with ‘24 Karat Gold’ show

Stevie Nicks doesn’t need Fleetwood Mac.

I’m so happy she has the Mac, because they’re amazing. But Nicks’ solo catalog does fine filling two hours — as she proved last night at a packed TD Garden.

The golden goddess in gossamer has huge, instantly-recognizable hits. In the ’80s she had ten Top 40 singles (not including her Mac smashes). But last night proved her “forgotten” works have equal force and beauty.

For this run of shows, she dug up brilliant pop nuggets “Bella Donna” and “If Anyone Falls,” gone from her live set since 1981 and 1983 respectively. She debuted “Wild Heart” — how had she never played that on a jaunt she dubbed “The Wild Heart Tour?” Even “Crying in the Night,” from the long-deleted, 1973 “Buckingham Nicks,” got the love it always deserved.

But Nicks went deeper. The singer devoted much of the evening to tracks from “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” made up of recently re-recorded demos. A little too polished on record, the material got nicely roughed up by the eight-piece band. The best of the bunch, “Starshine” dated back to 1979, when she stopped by Tom Petty’s house to have the Heartbreakers cut it with her.

I showed up with Hershey’s powder in case I wanted to make chocolate milk,” she said. “And my guitar.

Nicks also told stories: making records with Petty and Lindsey Buckingham, writing songs for Waylon Jennings that turned out to be duets with Don Henley, the value of high quality silk for your capes

The songs and stories made the night unique. The hits made it perfect. As she said herself, “‘Rhiannon’ has been with me at every show since 1975.” And last night “Rhiannon” was joined by “Edge of Seventeen,” “Stand Back” and — as a duet with opener Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders — “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”

Hynde and her band kicked things off with a tough, tight set true to their raw, rock ‘n’ roll legacy. But after a few ragged numbers, Hynde slipped in the most tender tune in her catalog: “Hymn to Her.” After the mystic moment, she quietly added, “That was for Hillary.” A few minutes later, she followed it up with new song “Holy Commotion” saying, “It’s about how white surprises aren’t Christians. So do what you want with that.” Lovely to see Hynde remains equal parts punk and pop.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...arat_gold_show

That first line, though!! I'm so glad that this tour is a huge success and people realize that she doesn't need the Mac. This girl can stand on her own two feet! Best review ever! :nod:

SisterNightroad 11-16-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulu28 (Post 1196445)
That first line, though!! I'm so glad that this tour is a huge success and people realize that she doesn't need the Mac. This girl can stand on her own two feet! Best review ever! :nod:

Yes, all these positive reviews she's getting are very exciting!

olive 11-16-2016 10:27 AM

this was the show sitting away from the fist 10 rows was the best the whole stage is amazing the lights the graphics , I find it hard to believe this Show was just thrown together

SisterNightroad 11-16-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1196453)
this was the show sitting away from the fist 10 rows was the best the whole stage is amazing the lights the graphics , I find it hard to believe this Show was just thrown together

Coincidentally I've just posted on the Nuggets thread an article about the graphics and lightning directors, seems this time they put extra effort to do somenthing more modern.

olive 11-16-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1196454)
Coincidentally I've just posted on the Nuggets thread an article about the graphics and lightning directors, seems this time they put extra effort to do somenthing more modern.

I can only imagine what she will do next , she is getting positive responses to all of it from the audience and she should tour with anther well know female it was just a great night ... and I secretly want her to quit Fleetwood Mac and do another record and spectacular tour with more songs that never got to be heard before on stage now that she knows everyone loves them