The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What old stuff would Neil Finn sound good on? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57769)

Murrow 04-11-2018 05:52 AM

What old stuff would Neil Finn sound good on?

Personally I can only imagine him doing Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch stuff. Campbell would probably do all the Greeny material.

bwboy 04-11-2018 02:16 PM

I'm not familiar with much of the pre-Rumours era, but I think Neil Finn could sing Sentimental Lady and Man of the World, both of which are on the Chain 4 CD box set. And Crystal reminds me of Don't Dream It's Over in some ways. Also, it would be wonderful if he would sing I Don't Want to Know with Stevie and Hold Me with Christine.

Murrow 04-11-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1222593)
I'm not familiar with much of the pre-Rumours era, but I think Neil Finn could sing Sentimental Lady and Man of the World, both of which are on the Chain 4 CD box set. And Crystal reminds me of Don't Dream It's Over in some ways. Also, it would be wonderful if he would sing I Don't Want to Know with Stevie and Hold Me with Christine.

I can imagine Hold Me. Stevie doesn't like IDWTK so I don't see that one happening.

bwboy 04-11-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrow (Post 1222622)
I can imagine Hold Me. Stevie doesn't like IDWTK so I don't see that one happening.

Are you sure about that? I know she was angry FM took Silver Springs off Rumours and put I Don't Want to Know on in it's place, but I never took that to mean she didn't like the song itself. It's one of my favorites and I think she and Stevie could sing it well.

Macfan4life 04-11-2018 04:50 PM

Hold Me is a tough song to do live because of the overdubs. They perfected it on the Buck/McVie tour. It sounded pretty good but it works because its a duet with Lindsey. It will sound terrible sung by anyone else. No shame to them but you cant imitate Lindsey. It just sounds bad. You don't try to replace people literally and do all their songs and parts. Hold Me is unique because the entire song is a blend of Christine and Lindsey's voice.
Here is my prediction: The Crowded House guy will sing The Chain with Stevie and Lindsey, World Turning and do Man of the world. Man of the world is Christine's all time favorite song.
You guys can reward me for being right in a few months. I don't ask for much. Maybe a free breakfast at Dennys.

Murrow 04-11-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1222637)
Are you sure about that? I know she was angry FM took Silver Springs off Rumours and put I Don't Want to Know on in it's place, but I never took that to mean she didn't like the song itself. It's one of my favorites and I think she and Stevie could sing it well.

I do seem to remember her saying it was a song she didn't like - this was 1991 when she had got the hump with Mick over the whole Silver Springs thing. Mick's words were "It's either I Don't Want to Know or you only have two songs on the album."

ryan4136 04-16-2018 08:28 AM

I'd think it's possible the Pre-Rumours stuff will include, Oh well, Albatross, Black Magic Woman, why, then maybe things like Future Games, and Hypnotized (of course not all need Finn to sing)

Mr Scarrott 04-16-2018 01:20 PM

Neil's having a think and learning some new songs

Neil's updated his twitter

http://www.neilfinn.com/news/

I know I've gone a bit quiet, been gathering thoughts, learning songs, improving punctuation and buying some new clothes. We'll talk soon.

Hey Neil... in case you need any ideas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB22ceQcoFw

and good luck to you! There have only been nine guitarists before you in this band. No pressure...(but I think you'll be fine).

FuzzyPlum 04-16-2018 01:48 PM

Man of the World (if they want to play it. Its a bit depressing)
Station Man
Sentimental Lady
Hypnotized
Did You Ever Love Me (with Christine)
Need Your Love So Bad (would they still play this cover?)
Like it This Way

I've got a feeling they'll try Oh Well, Black Magic Woman and Green Manalishi. Maybe they could use co-singers. I can envisage Neil singing Oh Well with Stevie.

bwboy 04-16-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1223454)
Man of the World (if they want to play it. Its a bit depressing)
Station Man
Sentimental Lady
Hypnotized
Did You Ever Love Me (with Christine)
Need Your Love So Bad (would they still play this cover?)
Like it This Way

I've got a feeling they'll try Oh Well, Black Magic Woman and Green Manalishi. Maybe they could use co-singers. I can envisage Neil singing Oh Well with Stevie.

I would be fine with most of these, though I don't think I've heard Like It This Way. In particular, I would love Sentimental Lady, Hypnotized, Man of the World, and Did You Ever Love Me. Black Magic Woman is a good idea, it's well-known and Mike Campbell would kill it.

Ench 04-22-2018 07:03 AM

Leaving aside what is politically or morally correct, I think that Neil could do a marvellous version of 'I'm So Afraid'. However, I think it's incredibly unlikely that he would actually do so.

Bubz 04-25-2018 10:45 PM

I think he would sound spectacular on any Welch tunes. If they are going to dig in to the history (Nicks said Rattlesnake Shake, Station Man, Oh Well, in the Rolling Stone story), the least they can do is try something like Sentimental Lady, Bermuda Triangle, or any of the killer Bob-era. How fun would that be in the mix...

SteveMacD 04-25-2018 11:06 PM

I can more easily hear Stevie doing a Bob Welch song (especially Hypnotized) than Neil.

Neil is eerily close to Danny Kirwan, IMO. The song that would destroy, although is too obscure by Fleetwood Mac standards, is “Something Inside of Me.” Neil and Mike would tear the bejeuss out of that one.

SpyNote 04-26-2018 11:47 AM

Neil's been writing a lot of ballads lately, so he would be comfortable on the slower stuff. But his biggest hits (with Crowded House) have been on the pop side, so I think he'd sound the best on Christine's songs, like "Don't Stop" and "Hold Me."

dontlookdown 05-01-2018 01:31 PM

He's a great harmony singer.
But I wouldn't expect much pre-1975 songs other than Oh Well.
Station Man would be fantastic, but not holding out hopes for that.

I hope they don't do Go Your Own Way -- or any other Buckingham songs aside from World Turning and Don't Stop.