The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Over & Over / The Ledge (1979 Tusk Rehearsals) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58377)

cbBen 11-30-2018 01:04 PM

Over & Over / The Ledge (1979 Tusk Rehearsals)

Perhaps a few of the songs, such as "Over & Over," should have been produced Rumours-style. The quirkier songs could have received quirkier production, and all concerns would have been satisfied.

And the record would have been better.

One of their best songs. Starts at 0:42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_elPn9pyQ ("The Ledge" starts at 6:41, with Christine on acoustic guitar.)

cbBen 11-30-2018 01:13 PM

Sisters Of The Moon too

Should have received this kind of production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTVGhbxvVE

fleetwoodguy79 12-03-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1244794)
Should have received this kind of production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTVGhbxvVE

I don’t know, I think that SOTM from the original Tusk album is haunting and truly unsettling. I think the production is excellent.

This song used to terrify me as a 13 year old listening through headphones blaring at night.

Also might be the best live song during the Tusk tour, especially during that first run. I’ll never forget when I saw the first 7 minutes of the Tusk Doc...

KenB 12-03-2018 09:57 PM

The production on "Over and Over" is breathtakingly perfect, a gorgeous masterpiece of understatement.

Conga 12-04-2018 02:27 AM

I wouldn't change this song for the world. Not only is it one of my favourite Mac opening tracks, it's also one of my favourite Christine tracks for sure. The way it builds slowly, unfolding patiently and the beautiful backing vocals when they finally come in too. A lot of people seem to love the version on the live album much more, but like I said, wouldn't change this for the world.

kenzo 12-04-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB (Post 1244961)
The production on "Over and Over" is breathtakingly perfect, a gorgeous masterpiece of understatement.

^ Completely agree.

jbrownsjr 12-04-2018 08:39 AM

Over and Over is such a beautiful song. I love it.

I also love that Christine was a multi-instrumentalist. Chair, Piano, Guitar, snare drum, accordion, organ, cello, viola, maracas, tamborine (she's actually playing it an not just pretending) .. and I think I've seen her with a trombone...

DownOnRodeo 12-04-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1244982)

I also love that Christine was a multi-instrumentalist. Chair, Piano, Guitar, snare drum, accordion, organ, cello, viola, maracas, tamborine (she's actually playing it an not just pretending) .. and I think I've seen her with a trombone...

lol for listing "CHAIR" first, even before piano :laugh:

Maybe you could elaborate on your idea a bit, cbBen?
To me, Tusk songs like "Over & Over" or "Sara" are Rumours-ish enough on the production front, and in my mind exceed it. Lindsey really went to a lot of effort to make them sound beautiful. And, taking these two tracks as examples, Stevie's and Christine's vocals are absolutely perfect, with lovely backing choruses as well.

Ever since you asked about whether the "Offical Music Video" for "Sara" uses the album version of the song or not, I've been doubting just how familiar you are with these tracks...!
"Over and Over" and "Sara"--after listening to these album tracks to death on headphones back in the day, I feel like I know every inch of them. Every flicker of a guitar string, every vocal whisper.

I'll maintain my stance that any issues with "Sisters" are not to do with which style it was produced in, but just the content itself. It is a "pale shadow" indeed of the lyrical poetry of "Gold Dust Woman" and "Rhiannon." But yeah, the album music is haunting and those live performances are compelling.

DownOnRodeo 12-04-2018 11:37 PM

lol at Stevie walking away from the mic at the end of this rehearsal of "The Ledge." She's not a fan. :laugh:

sodascouts 12-05-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1245026)
lol at Stevie walking away from the mic at the end of this rehearsal of "The Ledge." She's not a fan. :laugh:

Neither am I - but to be fair, she walks off immediately after her part is finished in "Over and Over" as well, and that was before the song was even finished! She just wanted to spend as little time as possible out front, apparently. Maybe there was something offstage she wanted to hurry back to.

On Ice 12-05-2018 09:36 AM

Awe, the glory days of just the five of them, ok, maybe Ray Lindsay on acoustic guitar was way better than the cast of thousands. Stevie did have a bit of an "attitude" going on during the Tusk shows but for the most part did sound amazing on most of the shows. She did leave the stage frequently and was probably having to powder her nose:rolleyes: I still think Over and Over is Christine's best song, the production, the vocals arrangement is all so amazing, she has never topped it. The Ledge also sounds good and should have been a concert staple but did not come to pass. Overall though, I love those old videos and reminds me of my fandom back in the day.

aleuzzi 12-05-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1244982)

Yes, the tabloids did spot her with a trombone back in the late 70s but she was quick to explain away the rumours and insisted they were just friends.

jbrownsjr 12-05-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1245053)
Yes, the tabloids did spot her with a trombone back in the late 70s but she was quick to explain away the rumours and insisted they were just friends.

..........one time at band camp....

sands of time 12-05-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1244793)
Perhaps a few of the songs, such as "Over & Over," should have been produced Rumours-style. The quirkier songs could have received quirkier production, and all concerns would have been satisfied.

And the record would have been better.

One of their best songs. Starts at 0:42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_elPn9pyQ ("The Ledge" starts at 6:41, with Christine on acoustic guitar.)

Pity you weren't there at the time to tell them. :rolleyes:

cbBen 12-05-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sands of time (Post 1245055)
Pity you weren't there at the time to tell them. :rolleyes:

True enough, but they probably wouldn't have listened to me anyway.

I'm listening to the album again in light of all the great comments above.