The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Manchester By the Sea (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56712)

Jondalar 12-22-2016 02:43 AM

Manchester By the Sea

so this film has been getting great reviews... So me and my brother went to see it because of all the great reviews and awards it's been nominated for.

So we kind of liked it but let me tell you, it unfolds at a snails pace, there is hardly any plot, and the ending is open ended. It's one of those movies where the film maker is full of himself. Scenes are extended over nothing - bouncing balls, unsignificant dialogue, just extra crap we don't need. Even though we kind of liked it, we felt it was wasting our time.

Casey Affleck definitely did a great job and probably deserves to win the oscar. Michelle Williams does not deserve to be nominated. She is barely in the movie.

olive 12-22-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1198562)
so this film has been getting great reviews... So me and my brother went to see it because of all the great reviews and awards it's been nominated for.

So we kind of liked it but let me tell you, it unfolds at a snails pace, there is hardly any plot, and the ending is open ended. It's one of those movies where the film maker is full of himself. Scenes are extended over nothing - bouncing balls, unsignificant dialogue, just extra crap we don't need. Even though we kind of liked it, we felt it was wasting our time.

Casey Affleck definitely did a great job and probably deserves to win the oscar. Michelle Williams does not deserve to be nominated. She is barely in the movie.

really I liked it aside from it being the feel good movie of the year ;)

it is not for anyone who enjoys big budget Hollywood movies aimed at teen-aged boys

it is the story of a family and the struggles and turmoil because of the action of one and how it effects all of them just a slice of life Michelle Williams was amazing tell me you did not cry

Plus I have a small part ( no lines ) in it

paleshadow 12-23-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1198573)
really I liked it aside from it being the feel good movie of the year ;)

it is not for anyone who enjoys big budget Hollywood movies aimed at teen-aged boys

it is the story of a family and the struggles and turmoil because of the action of one and how it effects all of them just a slice of life Michelle Williams was amazing tell me you did not cry

Plus I have a small part ( no lines ) in it

I thought it was very good. I did cry several times during the movie, but the part that got me the most was when Lucas Hedges breaks down at the freezer. By that part I had sort of forgotten the conversation that happened earlier (don't want to post a spoiler). Then when Casey Affleck finally gets him to talk and he explains why he was upset it really hit me.

I think the movie did an excellent job of showing the impact of loss on different people.