The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New Fleetwood Mac box set 1969-1974 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58978)

BLY 07-23-2020 10:22 AM

New Fleetwood Mac box set 1969-1974

Fleetwood Mac’s early rise to fame takes centerstage on two upcoming Rhino releases that spotlight the group’s deep-blues roots.

On September 4, FLEETWOOD MAC 1969-1974 will be available as an 8 CD boxed set that includes remastered versions of all seven studio albums the band recorded between 1969 and 1974, several bonus tracks, and an unreleased 1974 concert recorded just a few months before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band. The set covers a five-year span that encompasses several different band lineups, from founding members Fleetwood, Green, McVie and Spencer, to later additions like Danny Kirwan, Christine McVie, Dave Walker, Bob Welch, and Bob Weston.

FLEETWOOD MAC 1973-1974, also available on September 4, includes the unreleased 1974 live album, along with ‘Penguin’ (1973), ‘Mystery To Me’ (1973), and ‘Heroes Are Hard To Find’ (1974).
All the albums are pressed on 140-gram vinyl and presented in replica sleeves made to look like the original pressings. The set also includes a 7” single with “For Your Love” (Mono Promo Edit) on one side, and the previously unreleased “Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)” on the flipside. A limited edition, colored-vinyl edition of FLEETWOOD MAC 1973-1974 will be available exclusively from www.rhino.com. The studio albums, live recording, and 7” single will each be pressed on a different colored vinyl: ‘Penguin’ (yellow), ‘Mystery To Me’ (orange), ‘Heroes Are Hard To Find’ (gold), ‘Live from the Record Plan 12-15-74’ (white), and 7” (blue).

Preorder yours now:
8CD: https://lnk.to/FM6974
4LP/7”: https://lnk.to/FM7374

jbrownsjr 07-23-2020 10:42 AM

Miracle upon Miracles!

BLY 07-23-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1258898)
Miracle upon Miracles!

I’m thrilled for this. I already placed my order for the 8 CD set. I Can’t Wait!

SteveMacD 07-23-2020 12:31 PM

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

This was my second biggest wish, just after Christine coming back.

The only way it could have been better is if they had gone with the more recent deluxe version of “Then Play On,” with the original track listing, but I just ordered one of those.

Mr Scarrott 07-23-2020 12:54 PM

And Purple Dancer appears as a bonus track on Kiln House...:)

Good Things is also a bonus on the MTM CD, which is a relief...I've never heard of "Stone" a bonus on Future Games, though...

soul_drifter333 07-23-2020 01:17 PM

This is pretty exciting and these desperately needed remastering. The Live Album sounds interesting. It was done right at the time Bob left. Has this been shared before as a bootleg? Was it done as promotion since it was done at the Record Plant? Hopefully there is a book or good liner notes.

Mr Scarrott 07-23-2020 01:26 PM

this is the live Record Plant broadcast, from two weeks before you-know-who joined...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5VI6w-NcO0

SteveMacD 07-23-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1258904)
This is pretty exciting and these desperately needed remastering. The Live Album sounds interesting. It was done right at the time Bob left. Has this been shared before as a bootleg? Was it done as promotion since it was done at the Record Plant? Hopefully there is a book or good liner notes.

It’s been widely circulated over the decades. However, it might be much better sound quality.

Here’s a link for the whole show.

jbrownsjr 07-23-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1258899)
I’m thrilled for this. I already placed my order for the 8 CD set. I Can’t Wait!

I've been so sick of post McVie/Welch/Kirwan/Green era.

Plus, I've already been listening to these albums already. (And a little bit of the 1975 White album Deluxe concerts which has a few of these tunes.)

BLY 07-23-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1258908)
I've been so sick of post McVie/Welch/Kirwan/Green era.

Plus, I've already been listening to these albums already. (And a little bit of the 1975 White album Deluxe concerts which has a few of these tunes.)

I have also been listening to a lot of pre 1975 recently. I plan to listen to the entire box sets of the 5 post 1974 MAC because it’s been a while but I’m really looking forward to this box set. I hope the packaging is decent.

aleuzzi 07-23-2020 09:22 PM

HONK MY HOOTER!!!! I’m totally getting this!!!!!!!

aleuzzi 07-23-2020 09:33 PM

My only wish is that “Start Again”—the original (and to my way of thinking far superior) version of “Morning Rain”—was included.

Also, I’m not sure most of the music is remastered. It appears only the items that have already been remastered from previous reissues (THEN PLAY ON and several singles from the DON’T STOP compilation). But hopefully I’m wrong and the songs are remastered. Also curious about “Stone.”

jbrownsjr 07-24-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1258926)
My only wish is that “Start Again”—the original (and to my way of thinking far superior) version of “Morning Rain”—was included.

Also, I’m not sure most of the music is remastered. It appears only the items that have already been remastered from previous reissues (THEN PLAY ON and several singles from the DON’T STOP compilation). But hopefully I’m wrong and the songs are remastered. Also curious about “Stone.”

The Rhino Site leads me to believe everything is re-mastered.

Murrow 07-24-2020 08:03 AM

The real holy grail in this box is Stone, a previously unissued track on the Future Games disc.

Also of note:

Five out of the eight Future Games tracks appear in alternate forms here.

Penguin has no bonus tracks.

The Purple Dancer is finally out of the wilderness.

Straightback 07-24-2020 10:29 AM

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/w..._cdbox_big.jpg

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...4/#more-159948

aleuzzi 07-24-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1258928)
The Rhino Site leads me to believe everything is re-mastered.

I just saw that. Awesome!

GJK 07-24-2020 03:35 PM

The Box Set!!!

I bet the release will be postponed a few times but this makes me very happy and impatient. 'The purple dancer' has been my favourite FM song since 1979 and FINALLY it is going to be released on CD!!!

Track Listing

Then Play On (1969):
Coming Your Way
Closing My Eyes
Show-Biz Blues
My Dream
Underway
Oh Well
Although The Sun Is Shining
Rattlesnake Shake
Searching For Madge
Fighting For Madge
When You Say
Like Crying
Before The Beginning

Bonus Tracks
Oh Well Pts I & II
The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)
World In Harmony

Kiln House (1970):
This Is The Rock
Station Man
Blood On The Floor
Hi Ho Silver
Jewel Eyed Judy
Buddy’s Song
Earl Gray
One Together
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Mission Bell

Bonus Tracks
Dragonfly
Purple Dancer
Jewel Eyed Judy (Single Version)
Station Man (Single Version)

Future Games (1971):
Woman Of 1000 Years
Morning Rain
What A Shame
Future Games
Sands Of Time
Sometimes
Lay It All Down
Show Me A Smile

Bonus Tracks
Sands Of Time (Single Version)
Sometimes (Alt. Version)
Lay It All Down (Alt. Version)
Stone
Show Me A Smile (Alt. Version)
What A Shame (Unedited)

Bare Trees (1972):
Child Of Mine
The Ghost
Homeward Bound
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Bare Trees
Sentimental Lady
Danny’s Chant
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Dust
Thoughts On A Grey Day

Bonus Tracks
Trinity
Sentimental Lady (Single Version)

Penguin (1973):
Remember Me
Bright Fire
Dissatisfied
(I’m A) Road Runner
The Derelict
Revelation
Did You Ever Love Me
Night Watch
Caught In The Rain

Mystery To Me (1973):
Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Just Crazy Love
Hypnotized
Forever
Keep On Going
The City
Miles Away
Somebody
The Way I Feel
For Your Love
Why

Bonus Tracks
For Your Love (Mono Promo Edit)
Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)

Heroes Are Hard To Find (1974):
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Coming Home
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Come A Little Bit Closer
She’s Changing Me
Bad Loser
Silver Heels
Prove Your Love
Born Enchanter
Safe Harbour
Bonus Tracks
Heroes Are Hard To Find (Single Version)

Live From The Record Plant (12-15-74):
Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)
Angel
Sentimental Lady
Future Games
Bermuda Triangle
Why
Believe Me
Black Magic Woman/Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake
Hypnotized

Neb-Maat-Re 07-28-2020 05:38 AM

Released the day after my birthday, too!

How wonderful.

LesPaul7 07-28-2020 11:32 AM

I hope they got the track listing of Then Play On wrong on that list.

Murrow 07-28-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul7 (Post 1259090)
I hope they got the track listing of Then Play On wrong on that list.

The Then Play On disc can go in the recycling bin for most of us either way since (a) a lot of us have already got it and (b) if Amazon UK is anything to go by, the set's selling at pretty much the price of a four disc set anyway.

BLY 07-28-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1258939)
I bet the release will be postponed a few times but this makes me very happy and impatient. 'The purple dancer' has been my favourite FM song since 1979 and FINALLY it is going to be released on CD!!!

Track Listing

Then Play On (1969):
Coming Your Way
Closing My Eyes
Show-Biz Blues
My Dream
Underway
Oh Well
Although The Sun Is Shining
Rattlesnake Shake
Searching For Madge
Fighting For Madge
When You Say
Like Crying
Before The Beginning

Bonus Tracks
Oh Well Pts I & II
The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)
World In Harmony

Kiln House (1970):
This Is The Rock
Station Man
Blood On The Floor
Hi Ho Silver
Jewel Eyed Judy
Buddy’s Song
Earl Gray
One Together
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Mission Bell

Bonus Tracks
Dragonfly
Purple Dancer
Jewel Eyed Judy (Single Version)
Station Man (Single Version)

Future Games (1971):
Woman Of 1000 Years
Morning Rain
What A Shame
Future Games
Sands Of Time
Sometimes
Lay It All Down
Show Me A Smile

Bonus Tracks
Sands Of Time (Single Version)
Sometimes (Alt. Version)
Lay It All Down (Alt. Version)
Stone
Show Me A Smile (Alt. Version)
What A Shame (Unedited)

Bare Trees (1972):
Child Of Mine
The Ghost
Homeward Bound
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Bare Trees
Sentimental Lady
Danny’s Chant
Dust
Thoughts On A Grey Day

Bonus Tracks
Trinity
Sentimental Lady (Single Version)

Penguin (1973):
Remember Me
Bright Fire
Dissatisfied
(I’m A) Road Runner
The Derelict
Revelation
Did You Ever Love Me
Night Watch
Caught In The Rain

Mystery To Me (1973):
Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Just Crazy Love
Hypnotized
Forever
Keep On Going
The City
Miles Away
Somebody
The Way I Feel
For Your Love
Why

Bonus Tracks
For Your Love (Mono Promo Edit)
Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)

Heroes Are Hard To Find (1974):
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Coming Home
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Come A Little Bit Closer
She’s Changing Me
Bad Loser
Silver Heels
Prove Your Love
Born Enchanter
Safe Harbour
Bonus Tracks
Heroes Are Hard To Find (Single Version)

Live From The Record Plant (12-15-74):
Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)
Angel
Sentimental Lady
Future Games
Bermuda Triangle
Why
Believe Me
Black Magic Woman/Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake
Hypnotized

There is no reason for this release to be postponed, it should be released as scheduled.

jbrownsjr 07-29-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1259102)
There is no reason for this release to be postponed, it should be released as scheduled.

Let's hope not. Why announce it for months ahead, only to delay?

Macfan4life 07-29-2020 11:28 AM

This is really something and definitely going to order this. Its worth the 1974 live studio concert on CD alone.
Now dont call me greedy but having heard Bare Trees concert with Danny or something with Bob Weston.

I love the Bob Welch era but when you listen to Weston live, he adds so much more power to the live show. Speaking of which. Is the only live "Why" with Weston is the Midnight Special? If my memory is correct, the Mystery To Me tour had just started when Weston was fired and the tour cancelled. Are there any live recordings of these shows before he is fired? Mystery to Me is probably my favorite Mac album. Heroes is almost just as good. I cant imagine what what album would have been like with Weston.

Murrow 07-29-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1259112)
This is really something and definitely going to order this. Its worth the 1974 live studio concert on CD alone.
Now dont call me greedy but having heard Bare Trees concert with Bob Weston, I would have so wanted to have some more live stuff especially that concert.

I love the Bob Welch era but when you listen to Weston live, he adds so much more power to the live show. Speaking of which. Is the only live "Why" with Weston is the Midnight Special? If my memory is correct, the Mystery To Me tour had just started when Weston was fired and the tour cancelled. Are there any live recordings of these shows before he is fired? Mystery to Me is probably my favorite Mac album. Heroes is almost just as good. I cant imagine what what album would have been like with Weston.

Didn't know Weston had played any of the Bare Trees shows. Was Dave Walker there too?

Macfan4life 07-29-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrow (Post 1259120)
Didn't know Weston had played any of the Bare Trees shows. Was Dave Walker there too?

I just got back from vacation today and was up since 1:30. I had a brain fart and typo. You are correct, Weston was not part of Bare Trees. It was Danny and that is who I meant. I should have said, I would have loved a concert with Kirwin or with Weston but the package is still impressive.
Fleetwood Mac guitarists are sometimes hard to keep track of ;) Each is so impressive.

jwd 07-31-2020 06:52 PM

And to think I'd never buy another Fleetwood Mac record again..... This is too good to pass up. Especially the remastered cd versions of all these fantastic songs. Peter, Danny, and Bob, RIP my brothers. Never forgotten. Your music lives on forever.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

BLY 07-31-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1259187)
And to think I'd never buy another Fleetwood Mac record again..... This is too good to pass up. Especially the remastered cd versions of all these fantastic songs. Peter, Danny, and Bob, RIP my brothers. Never forgotten. Your music lives on forever.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

You are welcome.....I’m so excited for this set!

jwd 07-31-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1259197)
You are welcome.....I’m so excited for this set!

I really wouldn't have known about it unless I saw your post. :angel:

Definitely excited. I feel like it's our FM crown!!!

SteveMacD 07-31-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1259112)

I have the Record Plant set, but I hope this is significantly better quality.

The ‘74 Record Plant show has “Why.” I only thought they did “Miles Away” and “Believe Me” on Midnight Special. Didn’t know about “Why.”

HomerMcvie 07-31-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1259204)

The ‘74 Record Plant show has “Why.” I only thought they did “Miles Away” and “Believe Me” on Midnight Special. Didn’t know about “Why.”

Same. I've had it for years, from trading.

Is it during Sentimental Lady? Someone hands Bob something(or whatever) right before he starts singing, and he says "thanks" right before the vocal starts. I always add "thanks" right before singing along. Imma dork.

SteveMacD 08-08-2020 02:49 AM

The one thing this set is missing that would have made it perfect is Jeremy’s solo album with the aborted EP as bonus tracks.

lazy poker 08-08-2020 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1259279)
The one thing this set is missing that would have made it perfect is Jeremy’s solo album with the aborted EP as bonus tracks.

that's a nice idea indeed! and it also raises the question why they didn't jump at that chance with the 2015 reissue of jeremy's album - maybe for the very same unknown reason?! same with "purple dancer" - why hadn't this been included on the earlier "kiln house" re-release (as this would've been an obvious choice anyway)?!
:shrug:

Macfan4life 08-09-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1259204)

I was half right. The Mac did perform Why on the Midnight Special but it was 1976 with Stevie and Lindsey. They did do the Midnight Special in 1973 but Why was not performed or recorded :(

I had the 74 studio concert recorded from the radio in late 1983 or early 1984. Believe it or not but the entire concert was aired on a top 40 radio station late one Friday or Saturday night. IMHO, I believe they may have aired it by mistake thinking its Fleetwood mac with Lindsey and Stevie. The top 40 radio station would never have played vintage Mac songs let alone a live show. But I always enjoyed it. So many highlights: Bermuda Triangle, Hypnotized, Why, Sentimental Lady, etc.

Call me greedy but I wish we could get another live show on this package either Bare Trees or elusive few Mystery to Me shows. Does anyone know if any recordings of the brief Mystery to Me tour exist? If I could go back in time, this is the Mac show I would have sold my soul to see.

HomerMcvie 08-09-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1259310)
I was half right. The Mac did perform Why on the Midnight Special but it was 1976 with Stevie and Lindsey. They did do the Midnight Special in 1973 but Why was not performed or recorded :(

I had the 74 studio concert recorded from the radio in late 1983 or early 1984. Believe it or not but the entire concert was aired on a top 40 radio station late one Friday or Saturday night. IMHO, I believe they may have aired it by mistake thinking its Fleetwood mac with Lindsey and Stevie. The top 40 radio station would never have played vintage Mac songs let alone a live show. But I always enjoyed it. So many highlights: Bermuda Triangle, Hypnotized, Why, Sentimental Lady, etc.

Call me greedy but I wish we could get another live show on this package either Bare Trees or elusive few Mystery to Me shows. Does anyone know if any recordings of the brief Mystery to Me tour exist? If I could go back in time, this is the Mac show I would have sold my soul to see.

And for the first time in history, actually RAISED the key(before they were geriatrics). The original was in D, and they were doing it live in E, with Lindsey and $tevie.

The Bob Welch years are so underrated! I'd love to have a time machine to go back and see one show from then!

jbrownsjr 08-13-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1259312)
And for the first time in history, actually RAISED the key(before they were geriatrics). The original was in D, and they were doing it live in E, with Lindsey and $tevie.

The Bob Welch years are so underrated! I'd love to have a time machine to go back and see one show from then!

That Bare Trees Concert alone gave me chills. I'd love to go back in time, too!

nicepace 08-13-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1259310)

Okay, you're greedy. (lol) Me too! I have been waiting for years for a live recording to surface from the 'Mystery To Me' shows, but nothing. I just love that record so much; I think it's my favorite FM album of all time, although 'Bare Trees' is right up there with it.

HomerMcvie 08-13-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1259382)
Okay, you're greedy. (lol) Me too! I have been waiting for years for a live recording to surface from the 'Mystery To Me' shows, but nothing. I just love that record so much; I think it's my favorite FM album of all time, although 'Bare Trees' is right up there with it.

It's every bit as good as Rumours and Tusk.

For a long time, it was my summer album. Every day around noon, I'd put it on and lay by the pool for an hour, before I'd actually accomplish anything for the day!:lol:

Murrow 08-21-2020 10:10 AM

What's kind of annoying is it's not being made available on download by the looks of things. No preview on iTunes or anything. Would've been nice for those who just want the bonus tracks initially. The all or nothing deal has Mick written all over it...

jbrownsjr 08-21-2020 11:57 AM

Wow, that's a bit weird. I have to download all the songs from the cd?

soul_drifter333 08-24-2020 03:13 PM

I'm sure these have already been shared before but in case someone doesn't have them.

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=4919

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2262