The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tom Petty (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57493)

gldstwmn 10-02-2017 03:12 PM

Good lord. This is a huge loss. My condolences to his family and friends especially Stevie who is sure to be devastated by this horrible news.

TheWildHeart67 10-02-2017 03:15 PM

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

This story is developing.

michelej1 10-02-2017 03:17 PM

And you think to yourself ... I mean I saw Walter Becker on stage and he looked so unhealthy, so it wasn't a surprise to me. I thought that was coming. But with Tom Petty I just thought he'd be going strong for another 20 years, no matter how unrealistic that sounds. That's what I thought in my head, if I ever thought about it.

TheWildHeart67 10-02-2017 03:17 PM

I am devastated. Just so upset.
First, the Vegas shootings. Then one of my fave musicians of all time suddenly is dead.:distress:

ricohv 10-02-2017 03:19 PM

I bet Stevie is distraught right now! :distress:

ViscountViktor 10-02-2017 03:21 PM

Too soon.

Stevie will be devastated.

Jondalar 10-02-2017 03:22 PM

Can't believe this - awful!!!

Newzchspy 10-02-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricohv (Post 1217075)
I bet Stevie is distraught right now! :distress:

Yeah, between Vegas and TP, what else??? Sad day all around!!

estranged4life 10-02-2017 03:28 PM

Tom Petty, Rock Iconoclast Who Led the Heartbreakers, Dead at 66

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...200300164.html

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

----------------------------------------------------

Man, this October is already starting to suck. Reminds me of the past 40 Octobers... :distress:

TrueFaith77 10-02-2017 03:28 PM

I also thought of Stevie. :(

You don't have all the time in the world. What a reminder.

wilsonmac 10-02-2017 03:32 PM

Terrible news; one of the great songwriters. Worth mentioning that he and Lindsey were friends as well. Produced songs for the She's The One soundtrack with him and some tracks on The Last DJ, and the Johnny Cash Unchained album. RIP

Jondalar 10-02-2017 03:34 PM

I'm really upset over this. He was such a solid character and great artist. I never thought of him dying this young. This is a complete shock.

lilyfee 10-02-2017 03:47 PM

I feel crushed. Who could have seen this coming? Poor Stevie. I can’t imagine what she’s going through. Last summer’s festival comments take on new gravity. He meant so much to her. We have lost such a legend. RIP Tom Petty

Dreamz19 10-02-2017 03:48 PM

Wow I'm stunned by this. This day has been full of tragedy. I feel for his family and friends right now. I know Stevie is devastated. She absolutely adored Tom. :(

SNicksed 10-02-2017 03:52 PM

RIP Tom. I am in shock! :eek: