The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This Is An Outrage-Buckingham Departure (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57761)

WatchChain 04-09-2018 07:04 PM

This Is An Outrage-Buckingham Departure

For approximately 5 minutes after hearing the news of Lindsey's departure, I was in shock. This is certainly a curve ball from left field that I NEVER expected. Shock has turned to anger. Quite frankly, this is an outrage! I waited YEARS for the return of Christine McVie to have the Rumours lineup together again, and now THIS! I'm sorry, but these folks are spoiled brats! I've grown so tired and weary of this saga that I don't care to spend another dime on these pampered, indulgent divas! GROW UP! I would LOVE to boycott this tour! The thought of seeing the Mac live without Buckingham's energy (think Burnett/Vito) is abominable.

I've had enough. Rant over!

Macfan4life 04-09-2018 07:17 PM

I feel your pain.
A miracle happens and Christine returns and now this? Its frustrating that a band member who tours with the band but refuses to record with them is not fired. This band member keeps extending their solo tour thus delaying Fleetwood Mac but they don't get fired. The creative genius of Fleetwood Mac who put the band ahead of his solo career time after time gets fired.
Its sad
Its pathetic
Its an outrage

BLY 04-09-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1221983)
I feel your pain.
A miracle happens and Christine returns and now this? Its frustrating that a band member who tours with the band but refuses to record with them is not fired. This band member keeps extending their solo tour thus delaying Fleetwood Mac but they don't get fired. The creative genius of Fleetwood Mac who put the band ahead of his solo career time after time gets fired.
Its sad
Its pathetic
Its an outrage

I agree. It's a real shame this is how the Fleetwood Mac story may end.

elle 04-09-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1221976)
Quite frankly, this is an outrage!

you are not the only one. apparently 99% of the world agrees that Fleetwood Mac just ceased to exist, with their decision to fire Lindsey.

WatchChain 04-09-2018 07:23 PM

You are right on! It's ridiculous. I'm so tired of Lindsey and Stevie playing games. Stevie was wrong not to record new music with The Mac. A small part of me now feels that Lindsey was going to teach them a lesson by holding out on a tour. Then, the remaining 4 turn around and move forward without him! I'm disgusted! This is what happens when spoiled "rock stars" are stuck in Peter Pan syndrome and refuse to grow up.

jbrownsjr 04-09-2018 07:25 PM

$he told Mick, it's him or MEEEEEE.

$he got the guy that got her in... FIRED! AND.... got her friends to join the band. Surprised $he didn't get Sheryl, too.

HomerMcvie 04-09-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1221989)
you are not the only one. apparently 99% of the world agrees that Fleetwood Mac just ceased to exist, with their decision to fire Lindsey.

I hope that NOBODY attends this next tour. F*ck this bunch of children!

WatchChain 04-09-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1221994)
I hope that NOBODY attends this next tour. F*ck this bunch of children!

I'm calling for a complete and total BOYCOTT of this tour! No money to these brats!

elle 04-09-2018 07:38 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...P=share_btn_tw

Lindsey Buckingham parts ways with Fleetwood Mac before tou
The longstanding member will be replaced by the Tom Petty guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House’s Neil Finn

Guardian music

@guardianmusic
Mon 9 Apr 2018 16.34 EDT Last modified on Mon 9 Apr 2018 17.58 EDT
View more sharing options
Shares
Lindsey Buckingham.
Lindsey Buckingham. Photograph: Cindy Ord/Getty Images
Lindsey Buckingham has parted ways with Fleetwood Mac months before they are scheduled to embark on a live tour.

In a statement, the band announced: “Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour. The band wishes Lindsey all the best.”

Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham: ‘I said to Christine, ‘You can’t leave again’
Read more
It’s been revealed that Buckingham will be replaced on tour by the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House’s Neil Finn. “Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents,” Mick Fleetwood said. “We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it’s got the unmistakable Mac sound.”

Finn said in a statement: “Two weeks ago I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band. A few days later I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can’t wait to play.”

The band’s Facebook page has since changed its profile image from one of the band to an illustrated picture.

Fleetwood Mac in 1975: John McVie, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and Lindsey Buckingham.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Fleetwood Mac in 1975: John McVie, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham. Photograph: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
Buckingham originally joined the band in 1975 and played with them until 1987. In this incarnation, featuring Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks, they released 1977’s Rumors. The album sold over 40mcopies. Buckingham rejoined the band in 1997 and last year released a duet album with McVie.

His most recent performance with the band was during a concert in January honoring Fleetwood Mac as MusiCares Person of the Year. The Fleetwood Mac tour is to start in June. Last week, the band re-entered the US charts with Dreams after it was used in a meme.

elle 04-09-2018 07:59 PM

interesting - "Co-founder Mick Fleetwood also released his own statement, clearly in an attempt to calm fans' complaints about the departure of one of Fleetwood Mac's three main songwriters."

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/ne...ey-buckingham/

Fleetwood Mac have parted ways with long-time band member Lindsey Buckingham

Lindsey will go his own way.

Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, and John McVie of Fleetwood Mac

© Steve Granitz/Getty Images
By Justin Harp
9 April 2018

Fleetwood Mac have announced that they will be parting ways with singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.

A joint statement from the band released on Monday (April 9) confirmed that Buckingham will be replaced on their upcoming tour by Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House.

"We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family," the band told Rolling Stone.
Fleetwood Mac

© Steve Thorne/Redferns via Getty Images

"With Mike and Neil, we'll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we'll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honouring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Co-founder Mick Fleetwood also released his own statement, clearly in an attempt to calm fans' complaints about the departure of one of Fleetwood Mac's three main songwriters.

"Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents," Mick said today.

"We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realise that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it's got the unmistakable Mac sound."
John McVie, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, and Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac pose onstage during NBC's 'Today'

© Getty Images D Dipasupil

This disappointing turn-of-events comes several months after Christine McVie announced on The One Show last year that the classic line-up of Fleetwood Mac would be touring in 2018.

At that time, McVie was promoting a collaborative album with Buckingham, which the duo toured on their own. McVie only reunited with Fleetwood Mac in 2014, after a decade away.

Buckingham and Stevie Nicks first became members of Fleetwood Mac together in 1974, and would usher in the band's most successful period as the classic Rumours-era line-up.

There has yet to be any comment from Buckingham on news of his sacking.

Frankenstein 04-09-2018 08:12 PM

So the new guys have already been playing with the 4 remaining FM members. And Christine of all people is seemingly okay with it. Sad.

NotonRodeo 04-09-2018 08:13 PM

I am so damn furious at this band that I haven't slept since last night (other side of the world) despite having taken enough sedatives to take down an elephant.

Mick's statement about how the new lineup will still have the "unmistakeable Mac sound" is a further insult to our intelligence. Does he think he could bamboozle us into believing the Heartbreakers or Crowded House actually sound like Lindsey Buckingham?

iamnotafraid 04-09-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1221996)
I'm calling for a complete and total BOYCOTT of this tour! No money to these brats!

More effective to go to the show with
goat shirts and boo the whole time.

Wonder what she'd think if she saw the
front row filled with goat shirts? Would
she get it?

WatchChain 04-09-2018 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=iamnotafraid;1222042]More effective to go to the show with

she get it?[/QUOTE

No, that would be cruel and uncalled for. It's a much stonger statement to just refuse to buy a ticket and sit this one out.

iamnotafraid 04-09-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1222044)

No, that would be cruel and uncalled for. It's a much stonger statement to just refuse to buy a ticket and sit this one out.

That was Alec's idea.

They weren't going to get my money anyway.
Though if I were forced to pick, I'd pick team
Buckingham.

bombaysaffires 04-09-2018 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=WatchChain;1222044]
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1222042)

she get it?[/QUOTE

Hit them where it really hurts--- the wallet. Keep your money in your wallet.

They could give two hoots what your shirt is, they'd still be laughing all the way to the bank to deposit your money in their accounts.

FuzzyPlum 04-09-2018 08:38 PM

[/QUOTE]

No, that would be cruel and uncalled for. It's a much stonger statement to just refuse to buy a ticket and sit this one out.[/QUOTE]

A nasty message targeting Stevie might be uncalled for but an 'I STAND WITH LINDSEY' placard or banner would be good.

Lola 04-09-2018 08:46 PM

I've seen "Justice For Lindsey" on the internet too. That Anoro commercial just came on while i'm typing...

WatchChain 04-09-2018 08:48 PM

As a Fleetwood Mac fan of 40 years, I am just HEARTSICK. No one has died here, so I cannot compare this to the death of John Lennon, but it certainly comes close.

I have a deep sense in the pit of my stomach that this is the END. I think whatever brought about this conflict was the final straw for all involved. I DO NOT see the Rumours lineup EVER recording or touring together again. It's a sorrowful day. This band was given an opportunity to record a final album and give its fans a proper Farewell Tour, but they chose to take the low road.

As Don McLean proclaimed, "the day the music died" is upon us. I'm just heartsick.

aleuzzi 04-09-2018 08:51 PM

I won't be seeing them perform live, though if new Christine material gets recorded, I'd buy it. That's really all I care about from the current lineup.

As for Lindsey, I'll continue to buy his solo material BECAUSE IT'S CONSISTENTLY VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT.

So sad: Lindsey and Christine have this incredible partnership and now, so hard on the heels of that, he is ousted and rightfully claims he will have no connection to further Mac activity.

BLY 04-09-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1222064)
As a Fleetwood Mac fan of 40 years, I am just HEARTSICK. No one has died here, so I cannot compare this to the death of John Lennon, but it certainly comes close.

I have a deep sense in the pit of my stomach that this is the END. I think whatever brought about this conflict was the final straw for all involved. I DO NOT see the Rumours lineup EVER recording or touring together again. It's a sorrowful day. This band was given an opportunity to record a final album and give its fans a proper Farewell Tour, but they chose to take the low road.

As Don McLean proclaimed, "the day the music died" is upon us. I'm just heartsick.

Well said. 😂😫

FuzzyPlum 04-09-2018 09:17 PM

Billboard:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...plit-questions

5 Lingering Questions From Fleetwood Mac's Split With Lindsey Buckingham
4/9/2018 by Melinda Newman

When Fleetwood Mac announced Monday (April 9) that the legendary band had replaced guitarist Lindsey Buckingham with Crowded House’s Neil Finn and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ Mike Campbell for its upcoming tour, its statement brought up more questions than it answered.

Here are a few of those lingering questions:

What went south?
Prophetically, the last song that Fleetwood Mac performed together was “Go Your Own Way,” when the band was honored Jan. 26 as MusiCares Person of the Year. But at that gala, held at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, all seemed well with the band. While receiving their award, Buckingham acknowledged the dysfunction that fueled so many of the band’s hits, but added, “Not very far below the level of dysfunction, what we are feeling more than ever in our career is love.” After artists, including Lorde, Keith Urban, Juanes and Little Big Town, saluted the band, the quintet took the stage to close the evening with energetic performances of “The Chain,” “Little Lies,” "Tusk,” “Gold Dust Woman” and “Go Your Own Way.”

Why Mike Campbell and Neil Finn?
Longtime friends Campbell and Stevie Nicks go back nearly 40 years. Campbell played on Nicks and Tom Petty’s 1981 duet “Stop Dragging My Heart Around.” More recently, “I Don’t Care,” a song the guitarist co-wrote with Nicks, appeared on Nicks’ 2014 album, 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault, a collection of newly recorded versions of demos that Nicks initially recorded between 1969 and 1987. Less obvious is the Finn connection, but drummer Mick Fleetwood and Finn have a history, if not one as deep as that of Campbell and Nicks. Fleetwood told an Australian newspaper in 2016 that he was playing on Finn’s next album, referring to Finn as “a new music friend…I invited myself to play in Auckland so I am going down there first to work on his next album, as a friend.”

When did this all go down?
Regardless of the circumstances -- whether Buckingham jumped or was shoved -- his departure seems to be a very recent development. On April 4, guitarist Billy Burnette, who replaced Buckingham when he left Fleetwood Mac in 1987, tweeted, “Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out, but I’m not in.” Burnette quickly deleted that tweet, but it’s possible that he already knew that Finn would be coming in, as Finn was already woodshedding with the band. After the news broke on Monday, Finn said in a statement that he was invited to join Fleetwood Mac two weeks ago -- that would be March 26 -- and that “a few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac.”

What does this mean for the setlist?
When Christine McVie stopped touring with the band -- from 1998 to 2014 -- Fleetwood Mac largely dropped her songs from its live repertoire, with the exception of “Don’t Stop,” on which Nicks sang McVie’s part. While it’s easy to imagine Finn singing Buckingham’s co-lead on “Don’t Stop,” it’s much harder to envision his taking over Buckingham-fronted “Go Your Own Way,” “Big Love” or “Tusk.” According to the statement, Fleetwood Mac, who is co-managed by Suretone’s Carl Stubner and CSM’s Sheryl Louis and booked by CAA, will announce tour dates soon, presumably for fall of this year. Fleetwood told Rolling Stone last August that he and Nicks had discussed delving deeper into the band’s catalog beyond the hits.

What’s next?
The question remains whether Buckingham is out for good -- and what that even means for a band that has not put out an album with all five primary members (Nicks, Buckingham, McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood) since 1987’s Tango in the Night -- or if this is a temporary split. Given that he, Nicks and Christine McVie have left and come back before, the final chapter is far from written. With Fleetwood Mac, the words from another band known for its dysfunction seem applicable: “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”

jkmaletic 04-10-2018 07:55 AM

As disappointing as this is that it happened, are any of you Lindsay fans excited about the possibility that he is now free? He'll be able to record as many solo albums and tour them at least for the foreseeable future.
:shrug:

kenzo 04-10-2018 09:31 AM

Well, yes, because for me LB is still an artist, and the rest of FM are mostly just well-paid performers now... but I still mourn the special magic that the Rumours Five can make.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1222206)
As disappointing as this is that it happened, are any of you Lindsay fans excited about the possibility that he is now free? He'll be able to record as many solo albums and tour them at least for the foreseeable future.
:shrug:

JohnL 04-10-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1222042)

she get it?

So you are crucifying the rest of the band for being immature and peter pan like...and you want to do this? Come on....it is pretty obvious who is at fault here since the rest of the band is standing together.

And the immediate assumption that this is all because of Stevie is getting a little old. My bet is that the big mouth egotistic asshole that is Lindsey Buckingham opened his big, holier than thou mouth one too many times to one too many people. Put the blame where it belongs. At that point, if he said something nasty to her, I would not blame her if she said it is him or me. Crucify me if you like...I dont care as you know.

HomerMcvie 04-10-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnL (Post 1222226)
So you are crucifying the rest of the band for being immature and peter pan like...and you want to do this? Come on....it is pretty obvious who is at fault here since the rest of the band is standing together.

And the immediate assumption that this is all because of Stevie is getting a little old. My bet is that the big mouth egotistic asshole that is Lindsey Buckingham opened his big, holier than thou mouth one too many times to one too many people. Put the blame where it belongs. At that point, if he said something nasty to her, I would not blame her if she said it is him or me. Crucify me if you like...I dont care as you know.

Stevie Nicks could drop a Hot Carl on you, and you'd still praise her up and down.

SorcererJP 04-10-2018 11:31 AM

Why crucify the band? FM is not a bunch of friends/musicians anymore. It's a company, a business. I bet laywers and managers negotiated for weeks (thats why we are waiting for tourdames for ages) ... Lindsey wants to record and tour with new material, while the rest (blame them, they are all 70+) want to tour while they can with material they can play with their eyes shut ... grab the money and have fun.

The media used the word ' fired', I guess they just separated and both went their own way. Agreed to disagree ... LB doesn't own the band or the rights to exploit the band. So the rest of them just continued. I guess they fell as sad as he does.

Think of the song ' Come' : 🎶 ... and the band ... played ... on ... 🎶

The Chain 04-10-2018 11:55 AM

I was hoping it wasn't true, but it became more and more obvious with each day.. Can't believe I'm saying it, but f*ck them. This is wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves. They just lost the only true artist left in the band. May he continue his incredible late-career solo prolificness. They have turned themselves into what 99% of dinosaur rock bands are at this point in their careers- an oldies cash-grab act that has abandoned integrity. I realize they have been on that path for quite sometime, hell, mostly already there.. but with Linds on board, there was at least a constant push for new material, to be artists.. Now they've gone full shill on us. And after Chris returned, against all odds, for what should have been the graceful closing out of their legacy, with the classic lineup intact. You couldn't pay me to go see them now. And I've paid thru the nose to see them, 5 times. Hopefully this means I'll get to see my 4th Lindsey Buckingham solo show soon, though!I will be at every performance I can make, monetarily/schedule permitting.
I will always love the 5 fireflies, what they did at their peak, who they used to be.. Lindsey’s just the only one who cares about creating anymore. He’s the backbone & the brain behind this era, and this is coming from someone who loves all three songwriters equally. He brought out the best in all of them, musically speaking of course:lol:. His arrangements & playing are the template of this lineup, the Fleetwood Mac sound. They’re a cover band without him.
I may or may not have had some Team Lindsey : Never Break The Chain shirts custom printed for my Mac fan friends and I :laugh:

DreamIsOver 04-10-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorcererJP (Post 1222232)
The media used the word ' fired', I guess they just separated and both went their own way. Agreed to disagree ... LB doesn't own the band or the rights to exploit the band. So the rest of them just continued. I guess they fell as sad as he does.

I've read somewhere speculation that they band signed contracts a couple years ago for this tour so presumably they would not have been able to just agree to go their separate ways. All reports are that he did not quit and CNN says a rep for Lindsey referred all questions to the band - which obviously gives the impression that Lindsey wants it known that it was not his decision to leave without saying himself yet. His contract would have to be terminated which also may explain why the statement by the band only speaks to this upcoming tour.

JohnL 04-10-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1222227)
Stevie Nicks could drop a Hot Carl on you, and you'd still praise her up and down.

There was absolutely nothing in that post that praised her.

gldstwmn 04-10-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1222050)
That was Alec's idea.

It looks like Alec and Rusty's chickens finally came home to roost.

GavinBrown 04-10-2018 12:14 PM

What I wonder is this...

1. Do we get a Buckingham/Mcvie 2?
2. Does the band record an EP/album with this new lineup?

Either way, AWKWARDDDDDD.

gldstwmn 04-10-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GavinBrown (Post 1222245)
What I wonder is this...

1. Do we get a Buckingham/Mcvie 2?
2. Does the band record an EP/album with this new lineup?

Either way, AWKWARDDDDDD.

I think anything is possible at this point. It's a good thing no one's made
Fleetwood Mac - The Movie yet. :o

iamnotafraid 04-10-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnL (Post 1222226)

I've done no such thing.

And it's pretty obvious who is at fault.
It's the one who's wrapped up in at
least twenty layers of chiffon.

The band is only standing together for
$$$.

After one successful tour they'll be back
to what they were before without Lindsey.
Just another sad ole dinosaur band.

iamnotafraid 04-10-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1222241)
It looks like Alec and Rusty's chickens finally came home to roost.

Alec's maybe. But not good ole Rusty.

gldstwmn 04-10-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1222267)
Alec's maybe. But not good ole Rusty.

Hmm... I’m suspicious of that Barry.
Jesus I feel like I’m at a funeral. :distress:

dontlookdown 04-10-2018 01:57 PM

Not sure it’s an outrage, but it certainly is shocking and hugely
disappointing.
I have mixed feelings.
I was looking for a legitimate farewell tour; but I’m also not a big fan of the tired rote greatest hits sets.
The news feels like a weird deja vu from 1987.
But Mike Campbell will bring a lot of energy and personality to the sound - in a way that Rick Vito and Billy Burnette weren’t capable of.
I honestly can’t think of a better replacement for Lindsey Buckingham ‘s sound - especially in the context of big arenas.
Mike is an amazing player and a superb songwriter. He will bring a lot to the tour in ways that people aren’t expecting. Neil Finn is a great singer; but I’m not as enthusiastic about him because it feels like it was a choice made out of convenience. I guess they needed someone with pipes given how shaky Chris’s vocals have become.
In any event, I guess it just feels like a knee jerk band aid fix rather then a considered
thoughtful crafted project.

I wish it was presented as a different band / project instead of a salvage Fleetwood Mac tour.

At the same time, I’m not sure this whole story came out of a scenario that was dramatic in the way that the press is presenting it.
It could have been that they just couldn’t agree on a schedule.
People in their 70’s should be able to make decisions at will.
They don’t work for us and they don’t owe us anything.
I would have hated to know that a tour was put together and Lindsey didn’t want to be there.

I’m sorry that the end result of all of this is that we have a nostalgia act cobbling together what they can to prop up a tour - - instead of a group of five artists who really wanted to commit to making this a final goodbye to the 5 decades worth of fans.
I’m sorry for all of us. But I also respect people for asking for what they want and need rather than going through the motions because they think they’re supposed to.
Much respect to the whole band for giving everyone the freedom to come and go as they please.

It’s shocking and it’s unexpected and it hurts.
But I think if people can put aside the drama machine and make an effort to not write the narrative for this band that probably never happened; we might find that we can allow ourselves to enjoy Mike Campbell’s jaw-dropping guitar playing.
He’s no Buckingham, but he is quite possibly the most gifted player I’ve ever heard in an arena setting.

SisterNightroad 04-10-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown (Post 1222282)
Not sure it’s an outrage, but it certainly is shocking and hugely
disappointing.
I have mixed feelings.
I was looking for a legitimate farewell tour; but I’m also not a big fan of the tired rote greatest hits sets.
The news feels like a weird deja vu from 1987.
But Mike Campbell will bring a lot of energy and personality to the sound - in a way that Rick Vito and Billy Burnette weren’t capable of.
I honestly can’t think of a better replacement for Lindsey Buckingham ‘s sound - especially in the context of big arenas.
Mike is an amazing player and a superb songwriter. He will bring a lot to the tour in ways that people aren’t expecting. Neil Finn is a great singer; but I’m not as enthusiastic about him because it feels like it was a choice made out of convenience. I guess they needed someone with pipes given how shaky Chris’s vocals have become.
In any event, I guess it just feels like a knee jerk band aid fix rather then a considered
thoughtful crafted project.

I wish it was presented as a different band / project instead of a salvage Fleetwood Mac tour.

At the same time, I’m not sure this whole story came out of a scenario that was dramatic in the way that the press is presenting it.
It could have been that they just couldn’t agree on a schedule.
People in their 70’s should be able to make decisions at will.
They don’t work for us and they don’t owe us anything.
I would have hated to know that a tour was put together and Lindsey didn’t want to be there.

I’m sorry that the end result of all of this is that we have a nostalgia act cobbling together what they can to prop up a tour - - instead of a group of five artists who really wanted to commit to making this a final goodbye to the 5 decades worth of fans.
I’m sorry for all of us. But I also respect people for asking for what they want and need rather than going through the motions because they think they’re supposed to.
Much respect to the whole band for giving everyone the freedom to come and go as they please.

It’s shocking and it’s unexpected and it hurts.
But I think if people can put aside the drama machine and make an effort to not write the narrative for this band that probably never happened; we might find that we can allow ourselves to enjoy Mike Campbell’s jaw-dropping guitar playing.
He’s no Buckingham, but he is quite possibly the most gifted player I’ve ever heard in an arena setting.

Thanks dontlookdown for your mature and thoughtful reflection with whom I agree wholeheartedly

Tango 04-10-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1221976)
I'm sorry, but these folks are spoiled brats! I've grown so tired and weary of this saga that I don't care to spend another dime on these pampered, indulgent divas!

"You know I think all of us have some inner demons that we struggle with. We all have them, and there's been times when we let them get the best of us probably as well. I think its just important to remember that no one falls into a simple set of labels, and its even more important, I think, to learn from your mistakes and to fight for the positive choice."-Lindsey Buckingham

aleuzzi 04-10-2018 04:52 PM

A friend on FB earlier was wondering if the band will do a "Don't dream it's over"-"Dreams" medley. He was enthusiastic. As irrational as it sounds, his enthusiasm upset/offended me. When I pointed out that firing Lindsey was quite possibly the result of a Stevie "him or me" ultimatum, he responded: "I think it’s pretty clear now that FM isn’t a going concern when Stevie is not involved." Again, this, however true and obvious this was, it upset me. I always knew Stevie wielded her celebrity power like a weapon against him and the band, but I never thought the band--ie: Fleetwood and the McVies--would let him slip through their fingers a second time. He is simply too valuable. Period. They've made a colossal mistake. An embarrassing mistake. All for the sake of money. I can't get over this. Yet. But I will be the first person to gladly eat my words if the band actually sounds good in this new configuration. I am, putting it mildly, doubtful.