The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shrine '69's version of Rollin' Man (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=38454)

slipkid 12-19-2008 01:35 AM

Shrine '69's version of Rollin' Man

I sent this song via e-mail to a friend who loves late 60's blues guitar. As one who plays the drums, I don't have the technical knowledge of a guitarist, so I need to ask:

My friend thinks that "Rollin' Man" at the Shrine is done via the wah pedal. He thinks the "'Clapton woman tone" early in the song is a wah in one position, and the later tone is the wah in the opposite. I thought it was the bridge pup on, and then both pups of equal volume out of phase. So to answer, was Green using a wah pedal in 1/69 just for effect control??? I think my friend's head would explode if he realized it was just a Gibson Les Paul with a reverb box into an first gen. Orange amp. I need an answer before the end of next week. :)

Wouter Vuijk 12-19-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipkid (Post 789272)
I sent this song via e-mail to a friend who loves late 60's blues guitar. As one who plays the drums, I don't have the technical knowledge of a guitarist, so I need to ask:

My friend thinks that "Rollin' Man" at the Shrine is done via the wah pedal. He thinks the "'Clapton woman tone" early in the song is a wah in one position, and the later tone is the wah in the opposite. I thought it was the bridge pup on, and then both pups of equal volume out of phase. So to answer, was Green using a wah pedal in 1/69 just for effect control??? I think my friend's head would explode if he realized it was just a Gibson Les Paul with a reverb box into an first gen. Orange amp. I need an answer before the end of next week. :)

I believe it starts with the neck p.u., then as you say, goes into both p.u.'s equal volume but out of phase. Second part of the solo just the bridge p.u. Last solo (up-temo) just the bridge p.u. again.

Anybody (dis)agree? :confused:

Wouter Vuijk 12-19-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 789309)
Last solo (up-temo) just the bridge p.u. again.

I mean the neck p.u. here at the end. :sorry:

slipkid 12-19-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 789309)
I believe it starts with the neck p.u., then as you say, goes into both p.u.'s equal volume but out of phase. Second part of the solo just the bridge p.u. Last solo (up-temo) just the bridge p.u. again.

Anybody (dis)agree? :confused:

Thanks Wouter, that's what I thought. My friend remembers the Clapton interview while in Cream about how one can achieve so many tones with a humbucker SG (Les Paul at the time) while incorporating a wah pedal. I don't think Green started using a wah until late '69/early '70 with Rattlesnake Shake, then later for Green Manalishi?? So it's the neck pup that provides more of a bass tone?