The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Live Gold Dust Woman (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=26135)

DavidMn 03-30-2006 12:35 PM

Live Gold Dust Woman

I jut thought I'd start this cause I was listenint to the version from Baton Rouge, 8-30-78 that's over 10 minutes long, and it's far and away the best live version of this song I've ever heard. Any of you have your own favorite live versions of GDW?

chiliD 03-30-2006 12:41 PM

Favorite Fleetwood Mac version: From 1994...I LOVE that incarnation's take of the song

Favorite Stevie Nicks version: From Sheryl Crow's "Live In Central Park"

Favorite Non-Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks version: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson's cover

DavidMn 03-30-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
Favorite Fleetwood Mac version: From 1994...I LOVE that incarnation's take of the song

Favorite Non-Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks version: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson's cover

Waylon and Willie? Wow, I never knew that. Sounds interesting.

strandinthewind 03-30-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

. . . Favorite Stevie Nicks version: From Sheryl Crow's "Live In Central Park"

She positively smoldered and smoked in that rendition. AND - I love that she did the studio version of GO HOOOOOOO OOOMMMEEEEE OOOHHHHOOOHHHHHOOHHHOHMMIUUUUUMMMMMMEEEEEEEE

chiliD 03-30-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn
Waylon and Willie? Wow, I never knew that. Sounds interesting.

Waylon also covered "Rhiannon".

chiliD 03-30-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind
She positively smoldered and smoked in that rendition. AND - I love that she did the studio version of GO HOOOOOOO OOOMMMEEEEE OOOHHHHOOOHHHHHOOHHHOHMMIUUUUUMMMMMMEEEEEEEE

I just wonder why she doesn't even come close to doing that with Fleetwood Mac? I think the reason why I like that version the best (of ALL) is because Sheryl's band PLAYS it like I wish Fleetwood Mac would play it (the dynamic quality, I mean). Fleetwood Mac has really smoothed out the peaks & valleys of the dynamics of the song (beginning with The Dance version)

strandinthewind 03-30-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

and it was pretty good - it was sort of weird though to hear that song in a literal sense or at least from a smoewhat literal singer.

DavidMn 03-30-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

?!?! I guess I need to crawl out from under the rock I've been under!:laugh:

strandinthewind 03-30-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

I just wonder why she doesn't even come close to doing that with Fleetwood Mac? I think the reason why I like that version the best (of ALL) is because Sheryl's band PLAYS it like I wish Fleetwood Mac would play it (the dynamic quality, I mean). Fleetwood Mac has really smoothed out the peaks & valleys of the dynamics of the song (beginning with The Dance version)

I know. Interestingly, I think in the Tusk live outtakes, she does the same sort of smoldering version, except she is more in a trance and sort of hunched over the mic. and singing in this impossibly high for her voice.

For me, the problem with all of The Dance was the songs were slowed down to accomodate IMO the age of the band, etc., and GDW, which to me is a song of great nuance, suffered from that perhaps the greatest, though GYOW was a tad painful to these ears as well.

DavidMn 03-30-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

I know. Interestingly, I think in the Tusk live outtakes, she does the same sort of smoldering version, except she is more in a trance and sort of hunched over the mic. and singing in this impossibly high for her voice.

For me, the problem with all of The Dance was the songs were slowed down to accomodate IMO the age of the band, etc., and GDW, which to me is a song of great nuance, suffered from that perhaps the greatest, though GYOW was a tad painful to these ears as well.

And then of course, they didnt do GDW on the Tusk tour.

strandinthewind 03-30-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

And then of course, they didnt do GDW on the Tusk tour.

Then it must have been the Rumors tour, but the footage is in the Tusk live outtakes. I am confused. It was def. one of the Japanese performaces - the one where La Nicks is WASTED backstage and CM makes the hysterical, friendly crack about if you want to know what it is like to be a sex symbol, you should ask Stevie Nicks laugh laugh laugh :cool:

DavidMn 03-30-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Then it must have been the Rumors tour, but the footage is in the Tusk live outtakes. I am confused. It was def. one of the Japanese performaces - the one where La Nicks is WASTED backstage and CM makes the hysterical, friendly crack about if you want to know what it is like to be a sex symbol, you should ask Stevie Nicks laugh laugh laugh :cool:

If I'm not mistaken, that was Japan '77, but I could be wrong. All I know about that show is that I've NEVER seen Stevie as high as she was that night.

David 03-30-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

What tickles your little pretty about that one? All I hear is just a big bland backup & a listless, boring Stevie Nicks vocal typical of her Third Period.

It's indistinguishable from countless other GDWs on the 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004 & 2005 tours. I think you're just being perverse -- but you're not being perverted! :blob1: :blob1: :blob2: :blob1:

JazmenFlowers 03-30-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, that was Japan '77, but I could be wrong. All I know about that show is that I've NEVER seen Stevie as high as she was that night.

and it was f*ckin fabulous. that's my girl workin it out. my idol.

and you must post this 10 min version of GDW.

DavidMn 03-30-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
and it was f*ckin fabulous. that's my girl workin it out. my idol.

and you must post this 10 min version of GDW.

You've never heard it? it will GIVE YOU CHILLS! Unfortunately my computer at home isnt working at the moment so I'm at the library. But maybe someone else will post it for you.:)