The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey's Facination with the Stones (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=23407)

AliP 10-24-2005 03:17 PM

Lindsey's Facination with the Stones

The GOS Survivor made me realize how many Stones covers Lindsey has done. Yes, The Rolling Stones were greatly influential and had some amazing songs, but I just find it odd that Lindsey keeps covering their songs. They just seem to be a little too mainstream for Lindsey's tastes.

I don't know... maybe some of the musical experts on the board can provide me with a little insight as to why they think Lindsey is fascinated with the Stones??

David 10-24-2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliP
I don't know... maybe some of the musical experts on the board can provide me with a little insight as to why they think Lindsey is fascinated with the Stones??

I don't know, Ali. Maybe the crux of the matter is akin to the painter of still life who isn't so much fascinated by the bowl of fruit in front of him as by what he intends to make of it.

Gazza 10-24-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I don't know, Ali. Maybe the crux of the matter is akin to the painter of still life who isn't so much fascinated by the bowl of fruit in front of him as by what he intends to make of it.

Lindsey? Is that you?

shackin'up 10-24-2005 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza
Lindsey? Is that you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks gazza, I'm really pissing my pants over here laughing!!!

danax6 10-24-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Lindsey? Is that you?

LMAO! :laugh:

Imagine that.

sodascouts 10-24-2005 04:46 PM

I heard Cheri loved the stones and initially, he did Blue Turns to Grey and She Smiled Sweetly for her. However, doing so many other ones long after he and Cheri had crashed and burned is inexplicable to me. Indeed, I find it pretty lame.

At first I thought "Well, these are demos. He's having some fun. He surely wouldn't put them on an album." However, remember when SYW was going to be a double album, and Mick said something about including a "tribute to the Stones"? I wonder how many covers they would have included to warrant that term? One is excusable, but a "tribute" implies more than one. I would hope they would be embarrassed to do that but it sounds like they were planning on it. And Lindsey's inclusion of "I Am Waiting" on Soundstage - an ADDITIONAL Stones cover beyond the GOS ones - makes that implication even more likely.

Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd." Seriously, guys, let's try to think of another major band/artist that's released a studio album containing even two covers songs originally recorded by another single band (excluding theme albums that consist entirely of covers). Not too easy, is it?

UnwindedDreams 10-24-2005 05:44 PM

The next mac tour should end with Satisfaction!:]

AliP 10-24-2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Granted, I can't say that I have heard the orginal versions of the songs to compare, but still....did Lindsey really do something so brilliant with these songs that would make people stop and go, "wow, how magnificent!" I don't think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts
There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd.

I agree with Nancy. I just don't understand what Lindsey finds in The Stones that is so facinating. There really isn't anything *that* special in the songs he did cover. The lyrics are ok and there is nothing great as far as the guitar work goes, imo. And as far as LB looking up to Mick Jagger or Keith Richards...I find that hard to fathom.

David 10-24-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Granted, I can't say that I have heard the orginal versions of the songs to compare, but still....did Lindsey really do something so brilliant with these songs that would make people stop and go, "wow, how magnificent!" I don't think so.

Wouldn't such brilliance -- if it be reached -- be in the eye of the beholder? Neither is every artistic goal reached satisfactorily. Who's to say whether Lindsey himself either had something to say or felt he said it well by reconceptualizing these old songs, howsoever miniscule the degree?
Quote:

I just don't understand what Lindsey finds in The Stones that is so facinating.
He'd need to tell us for us to know -- & even then we may not know completely. He worked up several of these old Stones songs, & submitted several of them to fellow producers & label heads, intending them for inclusion on a solo album at one point. Judging by that, he seemed happy with what he did -- or at least happy enough.

Maybe he was in a Stones sorta mood.

David 10-24-2005 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts
Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers.

To someone who considers himself primarily an arranger (in its deepest sense) & a sonic painter, does it much matter who pens the lyrics & the chord progression?

AliP 10-24-2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't such brilliance -- if it be reached -- be in the eye of the beholder?

Well what do YOU think, David? Do you think they are brilliant or crap? I'm assuming you've heard the originals, unlike myself.

Lindsey Jr. 10-25-2005 02:52 AM

Quote:

Lindsey? Is that you?

LFMAO

I like the stones :wavey:

David 10-25-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

Well what do YOU think, David? Do you think they are brilliant or crap? I'm assuming you've heard the originals, unlike myself.

No, I haven't heard the Stones renditions. I don't think Lindsey's renditions are earthshakingly brilliant, no, but they're pleasant enough. My point, really, was that Lindsey possibly thought that those Stones songs had something for him to draw on, something to build his own statement on -- but he doesn't necessarily think they're the world's greatest songs, any more than he had to consider any of Christine's or Stevie's material great in order to fashion it into a personal studio statement for himself -- or at least for Fleetwood Mac.

You originally asked why Lindsey was so fascinated with the Stones or with these Stones songs, to which I suggested that he wasn't, necessarily -- but he may have been fascinated by the possibilities of reworking them.

chiliD 10-25-2005 12:20 PM

I just find in ironic that Lindsey did relatively faithful arrangements of ALL the Stones tunes he covered, yet just majorly f***ed up the George Harrison song.

DavidMn 10-25-2005 12:34 PM

How many Bob Dylan songs has he done? I know about Love Minus Zero/No Limit.