The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie Nicks songs to be used in American Horror Story: Coven (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52634)

Deeshere 09-18-2013 01:32 PM

Stevie Nicks songs to be used in American Horror Story: Coven

Found this on Twitter:

Ryan Murphy ‏@MrRPMurphy
Thank you Ms. Stevie Nicks for letting us use your music in COVEN! You rock and I love you.

https://twitter.com/MrRPMurphy

For those of you that do not know what American Horror Story is, here are some links to the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...r_Story:_Coven

http://www.fxnetworks.com/ahs

kak125 09-18-2013 02:00 PM

ooh nice! that is one of my favorite shows!!

michelej1 09-18-2013 02:57 PM

Charmed used her songs too. So, I guess the witches ate keeping with a theme. Michele

louielouie2000 09-18-2013 04:00 PM

Ahh, and just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited about this new season of American Horror Story!! :]

I mean, it has the following: Witches, New Orleans, Kathy Bates, and Leslie Jordan :D

Maxd9 09-18-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1103686)
Ahh, and just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited about this new season of American Horror Story!! :]

I mean, it has the following: Witches, New Orleans, Kathy Bates, and Leslie Jordan :D

Me too! I've loved all of the trailers so far (LOVED Jessica Lange in the black chiffon number) and now Stevie's songs are in I AM PUMPED! :]

jkmaletic 09-18-2013 05:50 PM

I used to like movies like AHS, but I've become a real p*ssy as I've gotten older about watching stuff like that. I wanted to watch AHS, but once I saw just the beginning credit part it was a no-go for me. :(

seanthompson 09-19-2013 05:20 PM

It must be New Orleans...or Rhiannon...or Sisters of the Moon...

Jondalar 09-20-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanthompson (Post 1103812)

I don't know. It could be Nightbird or some of her gothier, atmospheric stuff-Kind of Woman, Outside the Rain, Battle of Dragon. He didn't say anything about Fleetwood Mac. Sisters of the Moon would probably be perfect though. I would like gothy Rock A Little or Candlebright or Crystal.

sleepless child 09-20-2013 06:07 AM

Yes!!!! this is too awesome. I love this show and I'm so excited about this new season. The promos have been great.

michelej1 09-20-2013 07:15 PM

It could be anything really. They used Crystal for Practical Magic and that's not a particularly witchy song on the surface.

Plus, I love the way she says "strange" on Moonlight. That sounds spooky.

Michele

Dex 09-21-2013 08:16 AM

Louie, you make AHS sound so enticing on paper! But the word "horror" is such an automatic turn-off for me. I have what you might call an "active" imagination and am just no good at handling the scary. Is this show one that actively tries to scare its viewers, or is it more just dark/goth-y in its aesthetic? I can deal with the latter much more easily. And I enjoy seeing Kathy Bates do just about anything.

Regardless, I'm curious to see what songs they will choose for inclusion in this as well. I found the use of Soldier's Angel in that tv-advert a few weeks ago to be quite effective, even as on-the-fence as I am about that song.

vivfox 09-21-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanthompson (Post 1103812)

These selections would be nice but they'll probably end up with Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind or Just Like A Woman.:lol:

michelej1 09-21-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1103941)
Louie, you make AHS sound so enticing on paper! But the word "horror" is such an automatic turn-off for me. I have what you might call an "active" imagination and am just no good at handling the scary. Is this show one that actively tries to scare its viewers, or is it more just dark/goth-y in its aesthetic? I can deal with the latter much more easily. And I enjoy seeing Kathy Bates do just about anything.

The show loves to use gruesome images to actively try to scare it's viewers. The first season I got my fill of mangled bodies and fetuses in the first episode. Although, it was quirky and kind of funny and some of Jessica's lines ("Don't make me kill you again," ) kept me tuned in, so I did keep viewing.

I didn't see the second season, though.

Michele

MikeInNV 09-21-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1103962)
The show loves to use gruesome images to actively try to scare it's viewers. The first season I got my fill of mangled bodies and fetuses in the first episode. Although, it was quirky and kind of funny and some of Jessica's lines ("Don't make me kill you again," ) kept me tuned in, so I did keep viewing.

Michele

I didn't see the first season, but I loved Season Two. Not really gruesome, but very spooky and creepy. I'm going to give Season Three a try; are you?

michelej1 09-21-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1103969)
I'm going to give Season Three a try; are you?

Yes. I've enjoyed the promos that I've seen for it. Atmospheric. I am going to tune in, at least for the first two or three episodes.

The first season had a lot of severed or burned bodies and aborted babies.

But it was intriguing too. There was this one person who looked like an older, matronly woman, a senior citizen, to most people, but, through sorcery, to Dylan McDermott she looked like a hot young french maid and the ensuing encounters between them were very amusing.

Michele

Neal 09-21-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1103950)
These selections would be nice but they'll probably end up with Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind or Just Like A Woman.:lol:

Now that would be hilarious! But we all know if Ryan Murphy had asked to use those Stevie's reply would have been "Maybe Love what...?" "Just like a who...?" :confused:

Remember, 1987-1996 doesn't exist anymore... ;)

Jondalar 09-22-2013 12:51 AM

Today I went to Comic Con in Columbus Ohio. For some reason I played Sable and Blonde all day and thought about how Stevie really fits right into Comic Con. It was full of elves and superheros and horror items.

I waltzed around with Sable in Blond in my ear, very surreal and had a blast.

I wish she would have her own comic book or novels, something like that. She is sooo cool. American Horror Story and Stevie, what a great combination.

P.S. I finally got Linda Blairs' photo and autograph.

Dex 09-22-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Michele

Thanks for clarifying. I still feel torn about it, but realistically I'll probably give it a miss.

louielouie2000 09-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1104087)
Thanks for clarifying. I still feel torn about it, but realistically I'll probably give it a miss.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture2-2.png

Tell me now you won't be watching it. :D

Dex 09-22-2013 10:13 AM

Damn you're good.

Jondalar 09-22-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1104103)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture2-2.png

Tell me now you won't be watching it. :D

Nobody can play a bitch like Kathy Bates.

michelej1 09-22-2013 01:38 PM

They have had some good cast members. I know someone who loved Friday Night Lights and I think one reason he stopped watching is that he didn't like how AHS used Connie Britton. But they do lure you in.

Michele

Jondalar 09-22-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1104158)
They have had some good cast members. I know someone who loved Friday Night Lights and I think one reason he stopped watching is that he didn't like how AHS used Connie Britton. But they do lure you in.

Michele

It certainly is great to see Angela Basset again. She has always had one of the strongest presences on screen.

michelej1 09-22-2013 02:49 PM

But if you're squeamish, don't think it's going to be an easy ride.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...psdf613885.jpg

vivfox 09-22-2013 02:59 PM

^^^^Gross.

michelej1 09-22-2013 02:59 PM

The fact that they can't get musical rights keeps a lot of television from making it to DVD. That's what held up Ally McBeal's release for so long, just because they used to frequent this bar where Vonda Shepard (married to our producer Mitchell Froom) performed frequently. They couldn't get the rights to have her music in those scenes for the DVD. Of course, that's why many variety and talk shows don't get to DVD in their entirety too. The music.

I have Charmed on DVD and I think Stevie's songs were used twice in the show, but on the DVD version, it's replaced with generic music.

Michele

KarmaContestant 09-23-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Michele

I haven't either, though I recorded the whole thing. I like that each season is really a miniseries, unrelated to previous seasons. I'm eagerly awaiting season 3!

TheWILDheart 09-23-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1104177)

I have Charmed on DVD and I think Stevie's songs were used twice in the show, but on the DVD version, it's replaced with generic music.

Michele

I have all the "Charmed" DVD's. The 2 occasions that Stevie songs appear are very much included. Season 3, Episode 19 (The Demon Who Came In From The Cold) uses "Planets Of the Universe" just after the opening titles and Season 4, Episode 1 (Charmed Again part 1) uses "I Miss You" in the same slot, although for the purposes of the DVD, this episode was merged into 1, so "Charmed Again part 2" has no opening credits.

The "Charmed" producers had a habit of including music in the show that was current at the time and making an impact. They had some right stuff over the years - Goo Goo Dolls, The Cranberries, Tori Amos, Pink, Goldfrapp, Paula Cole, Third Eye Blind. The list goes on. Both these episodes were 2001, so "Trouble In Shangri-La" was making a small splash at the time.

michelej1 09-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWILDheart (Post 1104274)
I have all the "Charmed" DVD's. The 2 occasions that Stevie songs appear are very much included. Season 3, Episode 19 (The Demon Who Came In From The Cold) uses "Planets Of the Universe" just after the opening titles and Season 4, Episode 1 (Charmed Again part 1) uses "I Miss You" in the same slot, although for the purposes of the DVD, this episode was merged into 1, so "Charmed Again part 2" has no opening credits.

The "Charmed" producers had a habit of including music in the show that was current at the time and making an impact. They had some right stuff over the years - Goo Goo Dolls, The Cranberries, Tori Amos, Pink, Goldfrapp, Paula Cole, Third Eye Blind. The list goes on. Both these episodes were 2001, so "Trouble In Shangri-La" was making a small splash at the time.

I don't have those songs on my dvd sets. I bought each season separately as they were released. When the shows rerun on tv, I hear the songs (plus they are listed in IMDB) so I knew where they appear and I was on the look out for Stevie and her songs, but they are not on my dvds.

Michele

louielouie2000 09-23-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1104271)
I haven't either, though I recorded the whole thing. I like that each season is really a miniseries, unrelated to previous seasons. I'm eagerly awaiting season 3!

I thought the second season was pretty terrible... I stopped watching it about half way through, and truthfully wanted to stop long before that. I kept trying to give it a chance to redeem itself, but it just didn't. The second season seemed to be about nothing more than shock value- there were interesting aspects of it, but the way it was woven together seemed very feeble and too focused on gore.

I LOVED the first season, though. I thought it was so cool you never knew who was alive or dead until the very end. It was pretty thought provoking learning about 1 building's inhabitants over several generations. Makes you wonder what stories & secrets each and every building you enter might have to tell.

The fact that each season is a stand alone mini-series implementing the same actors in entirely different roles is pretty groundbreaking in my eyes. I cannot wait to see what this third season holds. :nod:

TheWILDheart 09-23-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1104277)
I don't have those songs on my dvd sets. I bought each season separately as they were released. When the shows rerun on tv, I hear the songs (plus they are listed in IMDB) so I knew where they appear and I was on the look out for Stevie and her songs, but they are not on my dvds.

Michele

That's odd, Michele, they're on mine. Maybe something to do with the US and UK releases? I also bought the original sets as they were released.

michelej1 09-23-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1104281)
I thought the second season was pretty terrible... I stopped watching it about half way through, and truthfully wanted to stop long before that. I kept trying to give it a chance to redeem itself, but it just didn't. The second season seemed to be about nothing more than shock value- there were interesting aspects of it, but the way it was woven together seemed very feeble and too focused on gore.

I'm glad you said that about the 2nd season. You relieved me of any idea I might have had about going back and watching it. I saw the first season and will just skip right to the third, without any nagging doubts.

Michele

kak125 09-23-2013 03:31 PM

i thought the 2nd season was fantastic!! i mean it was really f-ed up in so many ways but for some reason i liked that part of it and it kept me watching. jessica lange should have won the emmy again this year because she was freaking amazing. i liked how it ended as well so maybe give it another go, it gets better as each episode goes on.

Macfanforever 09-23-2013 04:48 PM

This is another show I probably miss out do to dumping the extra cable channels.

I have to check TVFreeload for it.

Its not worth paying $80 for a couple of good cable channels that I only watch.

michelej1 10-10-2013 12:18 AM

[From an interview with the executive producer Ryan Murphy]

Can Misty use her regenerative power to bring herself back to life?

Murphy: Of course. I love her character. Her character is obsessed with Stevie Nicks. The season really is an allegory or metaphor for any minority in the country where you feel alone. She's a girl who has never known other witches. The only witch she's ever known is Stevie Nicks, so I reached out to Stevie Nicks and asked her if we could use her music. Lily has an amazing Stevie Nicks shawl twirl scene in Episode 3. We used like eight Stevie Nicks songs this year.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/archive/x13...#ixzz2hIFbPxu7

WildHearted 10-10-2013 12:21 AM

I'm really curious as to which Stevie songs they are.

Also wondering whether they are all solo or if it's a combo of solo/FM stuff.