The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Buckingham Mcvie outsell 24KG? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57060)

James89 04-11-2017 05:22 PM

Will Buckingham Mcvie outsell 24KG?

Just an interesting question. How many of you think that the Buckingham Mcvie album will sell more than Stevie's 24KG in week 1 in the US?

I know it seems a tedious question but I think it's an interesting one. It'll show how many die hard Mac fans there are, how many fans don't care very much for Stevie's input (or vice versa), and if Stevie's solo career is bigger than the other two main people in FM put together.

Stevie's 24KG came out in October 2014 but frankly the music business and album sales have not changed since then. It sold 33,000 copies in one week with hardly any promotion. Can Buckingham Mcvie beat that? Well I don't know. I think it'll be close but I think Stevie might just edge it.

Thoughts? Btw, this is pure speculation and I for one am so excited for the new album.

SteveMacD 04-11-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James89 (Post 1206271)
Just an interesting question. How many of you think that the Buckingham Mcvie album will sell more than Stevie's 24KG in week 1 in the US?

I know it seems a tedious question but I think it's an interesting one. It'll show how many die hard Mac fans there are, how many fans don't care very much for Stevie's input (or vice versa), and if Stevie's solo career is bigger than the other two main people in FM put together.

Stevie's 24KG came out in October 2014 but frankly the music business and album sales have not changed since then. It sold 33,000 copies in one week with hardly any promotion. Can Buckingham Mcvie beat that? Well I don't know. I think it'll be close but I think Stevie might just edge it.

Thoughts? Btw, this is pure speculation and I for one am so excited for the new album.

LB/CM is a new entity, and neither were especially viable as solo artists. SN is established as a solo artist. If they had released it as FM, then the poll would be a little more valid.

AncientQueen 04-11-2017 05:49 PM

I think not, but I also think that if the album has good songs, the Buckingham McVie album will eventually sell more than 24KG worldwide.

button-lip 04-11-2017 06:31 PM

I voted yes, just because I want them to succeed as a duo, after their need to create and share with their fans their hard work. :thumbsup:

FuzzyPlum 04-11-2017 06:40 PM

No, it probably wont outsell 24kG, but I don't care.
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie will probably struggle to break the top 20, but I don't care.

aleuzzi 04-11-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1206291)
No, it probably wont outsell 24kG, but I don't care.
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie will probably struggle to break the top 20, but I don't care.

Exactly. They're not doing it for the money. I'm hoping the music is really good. That's what I want.

justcrazylove 04-11-2017 08:18 PM

I could care less how many copies it sells. Sales are not a barometer for the success of this record. I only care about the quality of the music, that is how I and all fans should be assessing this record. :)

WatchChain 04-11-2017 09:50 PM

There is a major factor at play here as to which album will sell better. First and foremost, I think it's important to note that "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" was the LAST album that Stevie owed Warner/Reprise to complete her contract. The album was only recorded with the imposed deadline to complete her obligation to the label and bring her contract to an end. That being said, Warner/Reprise had no intention of launching a huge promotional push to sell the record. Thanks to Warner's lackluster promotion, "24 KG" was intentionally dead on arrival. This is sadly a common practice in the world of major label deals. When a label sees that it has nothing more to gain from an artist, they usually cut their losses and complete the contract with no promotion for the last record.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the NEW Buckingham/McVie record will be released by Atlantic Records. Thus, I'm assuming that Atlantic signed the duo to some sort of NEW deal. I'm not sure if the label thinks it will get to release any future Fleetwood Mac projects. Maybe they are hoping this "pet project" by the duo will turn into something greater.

My point is that the new Buckingham/McVie album will benefit from greater promotion from the label. This will surely translate into better sales. However, if this duo's record was up against a new Stevie album with full scale promotion from a major label, there's no way they would outsell Stevie, especially without the Fleetwood Mac name.

elle 04-11-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James89 (Post 1206271)

I know charts and sales are something that interests you, but honestly? Who cares!

Also, pitting different members of FM against each other is something we had so many uproars against on this board recently, and this poll does exactly that, so it's really unhealthy imho, even if you didn' mean it that way.

Macfan4life 04-12-2017 03:52 AM

This is a troll of a thread :eek:
I don't know why some fret over chart listings and sales. Stevie solo records have routinely sold better than Lindsey or Christine solo records. Stop pitting the members against each other like its a board game!
My answer to the poll: Who cares?

Jondalar 04-12-2017 03:57 AM

Dumb thread. They are a new entity and are not getting special promotion or a World tour to help sell it.

James89 04-12-2017 04:58 AM

It's just for speculation! You don't have to vote. :lol:

Fannymac 04-12-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1206315)
There is a major factor at play here as to which album will sell better. First and foremost, I think it's important to note that "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" was the LAST album that Stevie owed Warner/Reprise to complete her contract. The album was only recorded with the imposed deadline to complete her obligation to the label and bring her contract to an end. That being said, Warner/Reprise had no intention of launching a huge promotional push to sell the record. Thanks to Warner's lackluster promotion, "24 KG" was intentionally dead on arrival. This is sadly a common practice in the world of major label deals. When a label sees that it has nothing more to gain from an artist, they usually cut their losses and complete the contract with no promotion for the last record.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the NEW Buckingham/McVie record will be released by Atlantic Records. Thus, I'm assuming that Atlantic signed the duo to some sort of NEW deal. I'm not sure if the label thinks it will get to release any future Fleetwood Mac projects. Maybe they are hoping this "pet project" by the duo will turn into something greater.

My point is that the new Buckingham/McVie album will benefit from greater promotion from the label. This will surely translate into better sales. However, if this duo's record was up against a new Stevie album with full scale promotion from a major label, there's no way they would outsell Stevie, especially without the Fleetwood Mac name.

Bingo! If they had gone with Warner Brothers, I would have said no way....it's just going to be tossed out there, with dire results.
Atlantic, on the other hand, still works their acts, and they seem to have a plan for this album....there's a single out this week, the pre-order is up (Warners has gotten VERY lazy with their pre-orders, often waiting until just four to six weeks before the release date to put them up)....if radio gets behind the single (and that's a tall order these days!), they just might pull it off!
A good video would also help!

Fannymac 04-12-2017 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1206315)

One other thing that I don't think has ever been mentioned/addressed.....on three or four albums SINCE the release of 24KG, Stevie is still given a courtesy credit of WB/Reprise.
If she were a free agent, as should be the case, after wrapping up her current contract with 24KG, this wouldn't be necessary....she might get a courtesy credit of (making this up here!) Welsh Witch Productions.....or, more realistically, nothing at all.
Has anyone heard of her (sadly!) reupping with WB?

TrueFaith77 04-12-2017 07:08 AM

#15 based on one day of pre-orders. Is that a good sign?

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-..._dp_ts_music_1