The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nominations for presenter—Stevie at the Hall of Fame (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58249)

David 10-22-2018 03:39 PM

Nominations for presenter—Stevie at the Hall of Fame

Have we thought about who we want to present Stevie's induction?
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Mike Campbell
  • Lady Antebellum
  • Haim
  • Chrissie Hynde
  • Billy Corgan
  • Courtney Love (is she still alive?)
  • Ryan Murphy
  • Dave Stewart
  • Adam Levine
  • Lindsey Buckingham

BombaySapphire3 10-22-2018 03:59 PM

Sheryl already inducted Fleetwood Mac ..I dunno how about the ghost of Bob Welch:shrug:

bwboy 10-22-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1241911)
Have we thought about who we want to present Stevie's induction?
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Mike Campbell
  • Lady Antebellum
  • Haim
  • Chrissie Hynde
  • Billy Corgan
  • Courtney Love (is she still alive?)
  • Ryan Murphy
  • Dave Stewart
  • Adam Levine
  • Lindsey Buckingham

Your last suggestion nearly made me fall off the couch :laugh::laugh::laugh: Funniest thing I've seen in a while! But the rest of your list sounds really plausible, especially Adam Levine, Courtney Love, and Billy Corgan. Maybe Harry Styles is another possibility?

I think it would be awesome if Christine McVie presented the honor- first, I think it would be touching, because Christine avoids the limelight but would probably do it for Stevie and second, it would be fabulous to see Christine doing something like that.

jwd 10-22-2018 05:46 PM

IF Stevie gets in this time, I'd say it will be Mick.

He's her biggest cheerleader. He's been her lover and her friend. He's worked with her in FM and her solo career as well. Her partner in crime. They are inseparable. I wonder what he'd say about the GDW?!

reebokandlace 10-22-2018 05:54 PM

Natalie Maines
Sarah McLachlan
Joan Baez
Vanessa Carlton

FM77 10-22-2018 05:57 PM

None of the above...most likely Jimmy Iovine.

lovethemac1 10-22-2018 08:19 PM

I vote for Don Henley and Joe Walsh together :lol::lol::lol:

StreetAngel86 10-22-2018 09:29 PM

+1
Lindsey Buckingham.

i will fly there myself to laugh at this happen :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethemac1 (Post 1241956)
I vote for Don Henley and Joe Walsh together :lol::lol::lol:

Lindsey. Don AND Joe

#dead

Storms123 10-22-2018 09:30 PM

I am hard pressed to think anyone from FM will be involved. Mick will probably go b/c he loves/wants/needs the publicity she helps bring to FM, but I think they will largely stay away. I agree on the Jimmy Iovine angle given he helped launch her solo career, which is what this would be honoring.

DownOnRodeo 10-22-2018 09:37 PM

Mick is her footman

(Assuming she "wins"), Stevie and her minders will ensure that the presenter is the person with the biggest name value and cache. Don't like your chances, Mick.

lovethemac1 10-22-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 (Post 1241965)
+1
Lindsey Buckingham.

i will fly there myself to laugh at this happen :lol:

Lindsey. Don AND Joe

#dead

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I will join you, because that would be pretty entertaining.

Fannymac 10-22-2018 10:59 PM

I would have said Sheryl, Chrissie or HAIM, but I doubt they would have Sheryl do it again, and as much as Chrissie has bonded with Stevie, she had to be dragged kicking and screaming to her own induction, so I just don't see it!
So.....in addition to attracting a younger audience....I would go with HAIM!

gldstwmn 10-23-2018 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1241933)

I think it would be awesome if Christine McVie presented the honor- first, I think it would be touching, because Christine avoids the limelight but would probably do it for Stevie and second, it would be fabulous to see Christine doing something like that.

Christine gets my vote.

gldstwmn 10-23-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FM77 (Post 1241938)
None of the above...most likely Jimmy Iovine.

Love this idea. Also I think Grace Slick would be an excellent choice.

FuzzyPlum 10-23-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1241984)

You've got more chance of sh***ing in the Queens handbag.
Why you would want to though...I don't know.

FuzzyPlum 10-23-2018 08:30 AM

Dave Grohl?
Florence Welch?
Haim or Sheryl Crow most likely though.

Feather Blade 10-23-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1241984)

Didn't Grace have some nasty things to say at one point about how awful she thought it was for rock bands to still be playing when they got older?

gldstwmn 10-23-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1242026)
Didn't Grace have some nasty things to say at one point about how awful she thought it was for rock bands to still be playing when they got older?

She did. I know she's one of the few females left that Stevie has said influenced her early on. I figured they could just cut the mic if she starts talking about Germany. :lol::lol::lol: But Jimmy Iovine for the win. That's going to be great.:lol:

David 10-23-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1242048)
She did. I know she's one of the few females left that Stevie has said influenced her early on. I figured they could just cut the mic if she starts talking about Germany. :lol::lol::lol: But Jimmy Iovine for the win. That's going to be great.:lol:

Iovine and Dave Grohl are two very obvious, apt choices I just totally spaced on. They're both industry heavies, much loved, status guys who would very willingly induct Stevie. Henley would also be an obviously good choice. (If Frey were still alive, he and Henley together would have been a remarkable pair to induct Stevie. I can almost hear them now, kidding around a bit and being genuinely proud of her.) Harry Styles, too.

What about Jessica Lange and Ryan Murphy?

gldstwmn 10-23-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1242074)
Iovine and Dave Grohl are two very obvious, apt choices I just totally spaced on. They're both industry heavies, much loved, status guys who would very willingly induct Stevie. Henley would also be an obviously good choice. (If Frey were still alive, he and Henley together would have been a remarkable pair to induct Stevie. I can almost hear them now, kidding around a bit and being genuinely proud of her.) Harry Styles, too.

Henley would make an incredible speech. It would be cool if she and Dave did that Hendrix flavored version of GDW they did for the Sound City mini tour. I think she will only do solo hits for her performance which would be a great reason to see it live. I would watch Jessica Lange in just about anything but I think she and Ryan Murphy are relatively new acquaintances.

Storms123 10-23-2018 08:27 PM

Or the entire Coven from AHS?
Personally, for any creditability for her solo work, which she is potentially getting inducted for, it should be Iovine on his own inducting her. Grohl, Crow, Lady Antebellum, Miley, Haim, Vanessa.....sing her classics out loud and proud. I think anyone associated with or playing in any version of FM should stay away. Iovine should induct her solo. It gives her more credibility, especially now. She was always pretty vocal about separating the 2, and her crew here (right now) is slightly diminished.

jwd 10-26-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1242074)

Harry could nominate and duet with Stevie on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around".

Anyone else think Pat Benatar had a more successful solo career than Stevie? Is she in yet?

The song that beat Stevie's "Stand Back" for a Grammy.

BombaySapphire3 10-26-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1242387)
Harry could nominate and duet with Stevie on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around".

Anyone else think Pat Benatar had a more successful solo career than Stevie? Is she in yet?

The song that beat Stevie's "Stand Back" for a Grammy.

Benatars last top 10 Billboard album was 1982's Get Nervous.:shrug:

jwd 10-26-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1242403)
Benatars last top 10 Billboard album was 1982's Get Nervous.:shrug:

"Invincible" and "We Belong" went to the Top 10 in '85. :shrug: In the same time period, early to mid 80s where Stevie and Pat were most successful, I believe Pat was more successful than Stevie solo.

FuzzyPlum 10-28-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1242405)
"Invincible" and "We Belong" went to the Top 10 in '85. :shrug: In the same time period, early to mid 80s where Stevie and Pat were most successful, I believe Pat was more successful than Stevie solo.

I'd say they had remarkably similar solo success both in terms of singles and albums. Perhaps Benatar had a slight edge. Stevie is more enduring and influential though.

gldstwmn 10-28-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1242405)

Perhaps but she doesn't have Stevie's songwriting capability.

jwd 10-28-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1242501)
I'd say they had remarkably similar solo success both in terms of singles and albums. Perhaps Benatar had a slight edge. Stevie is more enduring and influential though.

If there is anything Stevie has over Pat is that she is indeed more influential and relevant today, even though Pat is still out there touring and sounding good. Bottom line is that these are two very strong women, both of whom have survived a male dominated business. Both of whom deserve to be in the RRHOF, and neither are, yet.

jwd 10-28-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1242524)
Perhaps but she doesn't have Stevie's songwriting capability.

Linda Ronstadt didn't write any of her songs to the best of my knowledge. I'd say Pat had a stronger hand in writing some of her biggest hits than Stevie had in hers'. Examples, SDMHA and "Talk To Me" weren't written by Stevie. Anyway, not sure if songwriting is one thing "The Hall" looks at when nominating and voting an artist in.

Fannymac 10-30-2018 01:57 PM

Hopefully Pat will get in in the next few years, but only after Carly Simon and Carole King!

jwd 10-30-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1242724)
Hopefully Pat will get in in the next few years, but only after Carly Simon and Carole King!

I think she will, and they will. Geesh Carole King isn't in yet?!! I love Carly Simon too! Seems like R&R is still giving women the back seat. I brought up Pat because she and Stevie are so similar in when they attained great success as solo Rock women. Here's another good clip of Pat on Oprah with Avril Lavigne. Stevie and Joan Jett are mentioned at the end of the segment. Pat and Avril do "Love Is A Battlefield" together. Excellent!

BLY 10-30-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1242724)

Amen to Carly Simon. She is my all time favorite female singer. Great albums, lyrics and vocal range.

Storms123 10-30-2018 07:52 PM

Stevie has definitely stayed relevant in a more balances way--she's also transcended other genres and art forms in a way Pat Benatar has not. I also think Stevie's eclectic song writing style gives her a bit of an edge (I understand we aren't talking about the songwriters HOF). But the fact these 4 women aren't in yet....jeez. Carly Simon and Carole King give me goosebumps in ways no other artists can. As an aside, The Billy Joel Station (I believe it was the FM station a few months back) did a show with Billy playing the songs of the songwriters--and he spoke so highly of Carole and Carly. It amazing to hear artists fan girl over each other.

gldstwmn 10-30-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1242534)
Linda Ronstadt didn't write any of her songs to the best of my knowledge. I'd say Pat had a stronger hand in writing some of her biggest hits than Stevie had in hers'. Examples, SDMHA and "Talk To Me" weren't written by Stevie. Anyway, not sure if songwriting is one thing "The Hall" looks at when nominating and voting an artist in.

I don't know. Pat was certainly a wonderfully trained singer in the classic sense. She even wrote some of her songs.
Someone once said that it sounds like Linda's voice cries a little when she sings and I think that description nails it. She sang folk, pop, rock Broadway show tunes and fronted Nelson Riddle's orchestra. Her voice is the product of a god given talent like that of being struck by lightning. They both belong there but for different reasons.

DownOnRodeo 10-31-2018 01:25 AM

At the 0:40 mark of the We Belong video I thought she was clapping together two pieces of lettuce.

What about Cyndi Lauper? Maybe it's the look or the voice but she seems more "rock n roll" than Carole King or Pat Benatar, to me. (Obviously not intended to dismiss Carole King--who deserves something better than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anyway, such as the Gershwin Prize she's already pocketed.)

cbBen 10-31-2018 04:32 AM

What About Dave Stewart?

producer and co-writer

FuzzyPlum 10-31-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1242797)
producer and co-writer

I thought Stevie had some sort of falling out with Dave. Or have I got that wrong?
Anyway, I don't think she'd see him as a big enough name to do the honours. He;s not really what you'd consider to be a big heavyweight within the rock world.

jwd 10-31-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1242791)
At the 0:40 mark of the We Belong video I thought she was clapping together two pieces of lettuce.

What about Cyndi Lauper? Maybe it's the look or the voice but she seems more "rock n roll" than Carole King or Pat Benatar, to me. (Obviously not intended to dismiss Carole King--who deserves something better than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anyway, such as the Gershwin Prize she's already pocketed.)

I'm assuming you were under the influence, or just making a lame attempt at being funny, but I'd say she wasn't clapping two pieces of lettuce together, without even re-watching the video. :laugh:

Cyndi Lauper is more ROCK than Pat Benatar?! Now that's funny!

What do ya got Cyndi? Hit me with your best shot!

DownOnRodeo 10-31-2018 11:56 PM

It just happens in a split second so I had to attempt pausing the video quite a few times to confirm that it wasn't lettuce. (It was long green gloves by the way.)

dreamsunwind 11-01-2018 03:14 PM

Probably Jimmy Iovine. But if Tom Petty was still alive it would've been him.

Mr Scarrott 11-01-2018 07:59 PM

Stevie is so full of it these days that I wouldn't be surprised if she inducts herself.