The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Live 1980 Box set (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58957)

BLY 06-02-2020 09:08 PM

Live 1980 Box set

It would be great to release the live 1980 album as a box set to complete the set of all the Mac albums by the fab 5. There are versions of Fireflies as a Buckingham Nicks duet that I don’t have plus any other gems we are missing. I would love this for my collection.

HomerMcvie 06-02-2020 10:50 PM

I sincerely doubt Live will ever happen. It wasn't a good seller back then, and FM ignores things that weren't popular.
Behind The Mask
SYW
Time
The Bob Welch years.

Personally, I've always loved Live. And Fireflies. But there's no accounting for taste...

BLY 06-03-2020 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258386)
I sincerely doubt Live will ever happen. It wasn't a good seller back then, and FM ignores things that weren't popular.
Behind The Mask
SYW
Time
The Bob Welch years.

Personally, I've always loved Live. And Fireflies. But there's no accounting for taste...

I doubt we will see anymore of these sets unfortunately.

jbrownsjr 06-03-2020 07:41 AM

That would be amazing. 40 year anniversary. FM Live Deluxe

Macfan4life 06-03-2020 08:46 AM

The Live album was not very successful. Everyone was against it especially Warner Brothers. The band just made a double album that many considered a flop at the time. Why would you put out a double live album a year later. However, this live album was Mick's determination. He pushed and pushed and made it happen. Probably Mick's best idea since hiring Lindsey. The live album is a real treat. However, there are a few oddities about it. A boxed set with more songs would definitely peak my interest.
The live album has the best live (touched) version of Sara, Over My Head (although not from the tusk tour), I'm so afraid, Oh Well, and the incredible Over and Over. IMHO, the best live version of Rhiannon also but I also don't believe its from the Tusk tour.
I don't know how but I wish they included no "new" songs so we could get The Chain and Sisters.

jmn3 06-03-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258395)
The Live album was not very successful. Everyone was against it especially Warner Brothers. The band just made a double album that many considered a flop at the time. Why would you put out a double live album a year later. However, this live album was Mick's determination. He pushed and pushed and made it happen. Probably Mick's best idea since hiring Lindsey. The live album is a real treat. However, there are a few oddities about it. A boxed set with more songs would definitely peak my interest.
The live album has the best live (touched) version of Sara, Over My Head (although not from the tusk tour), I'm so afraid, Oh Well, and the incredible Over and Over. IMHO, the best live version of Rhiannon also but I also don't believe its from the Tusk tour.
I don't know how but I wish they included no "new" songs so we could get The Chain and Sisters.

That live Rhiannon is amazing but it's definitely from 1977 and not from the Tusk Tour. Some incredible stuff on the album including Rhiannon, Over and Over, Fireflies, Don't Let Me Down Again, Sara, and that killer Go Your Own Way (I can't drive to Cleveland without yelling out "CLEVELAND!" in my best 1980 Buck-mimic when I see the first sign for the city.

I don't see any chance this would ever happen. I think one of the misses of the album was that we didn't get a proper Tusk era full concert since Live was made up of things from '76-'80, not to mention the 'new' songs. That was rectified with the Tusk Deluxe release. As much as I love me some Live, that version of Sara on the Deluxe release was even better. The Chain, and especially Go Your Own Way from Wembley is the best version ever IMO. Just incredible playing.

Macfan4life 06-03-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1258396)
That live Rhiannon is amazing but it's definitely from 1977 and not from the Tusk Tour. Some incredible stuff on the album including Rhiannon, Over and Over, Fireflies, Don't Let Me Down Again, Sara, and that killer Go Your Own Way (I can't drive to Cleveland without yelling out "CLEVELAND!" in my best 1980 Buck-mimic when I see the first sign for the city.

I don't see any chance this would ever happen. I think one of the misses of the album was that we didn't get a proper Tusk era full concert since Live was made up of things from '76-'80, not to mention the 'new' songs. That was rectified with the Tusk Deluxe release. As much as I love me some Live, that version of Sara on the Deluxe release was even better. The Chain, and especially Go Your Own Way from Wembley is the best version ever IMO. Just incredible playing.

I've mentioned this before but here is my list of oddities of the album:

Dreams - I HATE this soundcheck version. Its sung just as Dreams was being released as a single and Stevie is trying way to hard singing it. It sounds like she is auditioning for American Idol. I hate it so bad and never liked it. Worst live performance of the song ever IMHO because of how she is singing in wild ranges.

Don't Stop - I hate this live version so bad. Why in the world did they pick a version where Lindsey breaks a guitar string at the end? You can even hear Christine say "You broke a string, didn't you"

One more lonely night is cute but definitely padding. Give us another live track instead

I like Fireflies but record it in a studio later. Give us another live track

Not That Funny - OMG you know Lindsey made sure this song made the album. He has a fascination about it. And you know what.....its a rocking version and takes the song to a new level.

I may be in the minority but never cared for Farmers Daughter

Can you believe the Chain is not part of this album?

This is really Fleetwood mac unleashed. Its what you got in concert compared to the studio Mac. It needed to be heard and IMHO the Live album is one of their best albums ever