The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   strange, weird (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=33153)

aleuzzi 06-29-2007 07:56 PM

strange, weird

Okay, just for the heck of it, I'll throw this one out there:

What's the strangest/weirdest song you think Chris ever recorded?

I'm not sure. I think I'd go with "Bad Loser", which I love but is atypical.

Dr.Brown 06-29-2007 10:19 PM

For strange/weird by Christine's standards it's got to be "Ricky" TITN b-side which sounds like the bastard child of "The Chain" and "Tusk". Love it!!!

macfan 57 06-30-2007 05:41 AM

Christine McVie is not known for strange/weird songs.:D But, I've got to go with "Ricky" as well. It sounds weird, but sexy to me. I love the song, by the way.

I think "Bad Loser" is atypical of Chris' songs, but I don't think it's strange or weird.

chiliD 06-30-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57 (Post 701292)
I think "Bad Loser" is atypical of Chris' songs, but I don't think it's strange or weird.

"Bad Loser" just sounds like Chris singing a Bob Welch tune. (Just as "She's Changing Me" from the same album sounds like Bob Welch singing a Christine McVie song). :shrug:

"Ricky" surely qualifies, as is; but, if they'd actually FINISHED the song, would it have been as "weird" as what got put on that B-side? Just look at some of the outtakes of her later "Behind The Mask"...some of those are odd sounding, but when the song finally was released as the title cut of the album, it pretty much was in the "normal Christine type song" parameters.

Richard B 07-01-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Brown (Post 701259)
For strange/weird by Christine's standards it's got to be "Ricky" TITN b-side which sounds like the bastard child of "The Chain" and "Tusk". Love it!!!

I think Ricky is not very weird at all and fits the whole TITN Christine period. It would have fit nicely on TITN actually, sequenced right after Isn't It Midnight. I like getting 2 servings, back to back of Christine on any FM album.

I think her weirdest song is her cover of Kirwan's 'When You Say.'

fmfanatic 07-01-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57 (Post 701292)
Christine McVie is not known for strange/weird songs.:D But, I've got to go with "Ricky" as well. It sounds weird, but sexy to me. I love the song, by the way.

I actually haven't heard the song "Ricky" or at least, I can't recall how it goes..... :o I feel so embarrassed! LOL

Is there any way someone can share it.... ;)

Andrea :)

Aisling 07-01-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmfanatic (Post 701860)
I actually haven't heard the song "Ricky" or at least, I can't recall how it goes..... :o I feel so embarrassed! LOL

Is there any way someone can share it.... ;)

oh ricky (won't you come out tonight?), i could wax poetic for hours on how much i love this song. but since that wouldn't really contribute anything to the thread, i won't.

http://download.yousendit.com/BD9B3C4A078064D6

honestly i'm kind of impaired right now and not sure if i uploaded the right song (too lazy to check), so if you don't hear the word "ricky" in there, let me know and i'll try again once sober!

Betsy 07-02-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling (Post 701923)
oh ricky (won't you come out tonight?), i could wax poetic for hours on how much i love this song. but since that wouldn't really contribute anything to the thread, i won't.

honestly i'm kind of impaired right now and not sure if i uploaded the right song (too lazy to check), so if you don't hear the word "ricky" in there, let me know and i'll try again once sober!

Thanks for the download and I gotta tell ya...I like your humor!

Sahara 07-02-2007 05:31 PM

Ricky is so interesting! Especially because it's Christine, and it's not what one expects from her. There's something a little bit twisted about it....

fmfanatic 07-02-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling (Post 701923)

Yep, I assume that was "Ricky" -- but is it just me, or does it sound like Lindsey singing lead and not Christine???

Thanks for sending this, BTW!

Aisling 07-02-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy (Post 702146)
Thanks for the download and I gotta tell ya...I like your humor!

any time. . .and thanks! i certainly do try! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara
There's something a little bit twisted about it....

this is probably why i like it so much. i agree with macfan above, there is something really sexy about this song. i think that about lot of the songs on tango. . .there's a certain something strangely cool to the touch, detached, yet enticing at the same time. does that make any sense at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmfanatic
Yep, I assume that was "Ricky" -- but is it just me, or does it sound like Lindsey singing lead and not Christine???

i'm fairly certain it's chris on lead, but i can hear lindsey backing her on the echoes ("bye bye", "please please", and also "tell me tell me" etc.)

Chrislit18 07-02-2007 08:14 PM

I always thought it was LB on lead. It really doesnt sound like Chris to me :shrug: Unless this version is different than the one I have [I got mine off of Buckinghamnicks.net...]. It really is a funky song though. I like it once in a while.

macfan 57 07-03-2007 05:30 AM

It's definitely Chris on lead vocals with Lindsey in the background.

Richard B 07-03-2007 10:04 AM

I also think 'Heroes Are Hard To Find' is very weird. That horn section is just really bizarre for a Christine song. Funky.

Sahara 07-03-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling (Post 702217)
this is probably why i like it so much. i agree with macfan above, there is something really sexy about this song. i think that about lot of the songs on tango. . .there's a certain something strangely cool to the touch, detached, yet enticing at the same time. does that make any sense at all?

That makes perfect sense! The suaveness of the atmosphere is probably what makes it my favourite album, though I hate Mystified...!

*listens again* It does actually sound like Lindsey! It is Christine, but probably put through some digital trickery like what Lindsey used to do.