The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Out of the cradle (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57130)

Stormwind 04-28-2017 08:25 PM

Out of the cradle

I made this post about what I consider Lindsey's best solo work: Out of the cradle is his masterpiece. But, leaving aside its musical brilliance for a moment, I love it more for a personal thing. I wasn't even born when the album was released, I'm barely twenty two, but I can surely say that this album has changed my life. Lindsey often says that this album gave him a new hope, confidence in his abilites. He found a warmer, open place to express himself after the Mac years. And yet he expressed his pain: the loss of a loved one, his loneliness. It helped me years ago when I felt alone, lost.
If I could ever meet him, I'd thank him for his music of course, but also for being the voice who seemed to understand. Have you any stories about the album to share?

I can't barely listen to the album nowaday, because it has so much power on me :lol:, kinda Paul McCartney cryiin for God Only Knows.

Dr.Brown 04-28-2017 09:49 PM

IMHO, Out of the Cradle is not only Lindsey's masterpiece but is by far the best solo work put out by any member of Fleetwood Mac, with brilliant production and overall musicianship which unfortunately largely fell on deaf ears at the dawn of the grunge era.

Macfan4life 04-29-2017 06:29 AM

Yes Out of the Cradle is some of his best work. The critics loved it too. I had the cassette tape and would play it all the time in my 1985 Pontiac Grand Am :eek:

AlexD 04-29-2017 10:20 AM

Stormwind I'm only 20 too. It's nice that FM music has caught on with younger generations a lot over the past few years.

Stormwind 04-29-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexD (Post 1208515)
Stormwind I'm only 20 too. It's nice that FM music has caught on with younger generations a lot over the past few years.

Yeah, here in Italy FM and Lindsey are not so famous, but I was lucky to get into the music anyway.

OOTC is a brilliant piece work and the bootlegs from the tour of the same year are phenomenal. Songs like "You do or you don't" were even better live (his guitar there is speakin...). Unfortunately he didn't play songs like Countdown except for his tv promos at the late show.

BLY 04-29-2017 08:20 PM

Out of the Cradle is got to be my all time favorite Lindsey album. It is a masterpiece. It was a shame it didn't get the air play it should have. I think if it was released in 1989 only a couple of years after Tango in the Night things might have been different.

elle 04-29-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1208562)
Out of the Cradle is got to be my all time favorite Lindsey album. It is a masterpiece. It was a shame it didn't get the air play it should have. I think if it was released in 1989 only a couple of years after Tango in the Night things might have been different.

once i learned about OOTC, that's exactly what i thought. he sat on it and noodled around way too long. in the long run, yeah maybe it wouldn't have been as perfect as it is, but it would have reached more ears.

that kind of album being released as the grunge was just peaking? made no sense whatsoever. right now it certainly stands the test of time, but the relase timing was pretty horrible. glad 2000s brought us new LB, much less burdened with worries about any commercial success or legacy, not sitting on his new stuff anymore and just releasing it as he's making it! :blob1:

aleuzzi 04-30-2017 11:26 AM

When I first heard OOTC I was floored by it. The first two solo records were strong but nowhere near this level of consistent excellence. More than 20 years later, OOTC still excites me.

It's the best solo album by any member of the Mac, and that includes Bella Donna. I know some people will argue about that but for me, as a unified artistic statement, OOTC wins the pools.

But then, for me, the second greatest Mac solo album is In the Meantime, so why would anyone listen to me?

sodascouts 04-30-2017 11:46 PM

His best album by far, IMHO. Not a weak song on there. I especially love "Soul Drifter." I remember playing that as I drove away after my college graduation in 2000; it felt like my anthem as I started a new chapter of my life. There was a real emotional depth to a lot of those songs that hadn't really been explored as much in his other solo albums. We got a lot of frustration in Go Insane and the title track for that album is very revealing of his emotional state at the time, but it's not quite the same kind of introspection and vulnerability conveyed in many OOTC songs. Forget Law and Order which is overall quite shallow and does not really appeal to me. His more recent albums continue the trend of emotional maturity and I like them better than his 80s material, but they do not reach the heights of OOTC.

It's his most melodic work and his most natural work. Gimmicks, studio tricks, and tech manipulations are kept at a minimum; this is Lindsey at his most raw, and I love it.

Stormwind 05-01-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1208562)

I guess Lindsey was still healin his wounds, dealin with his feelings about Stevie, the band, his father, fame, etc. And I don't see him tryin to catch the success on the tail of TIN album. I remember seeing his interview at Letterman's after he played Countdown and when Dave say'd that the perfomance made him think of the live FM, Lindsey was not that amused ahah. He tried hard to make himself and his music viable as a solo artist, but he tried at his own terms. Unfortunately those terms weren't the same of a broad audience.

dreamsunwind 05-02-2017 09:07 PM

Yes! I love this album so much. It's the perfect 'Lindsey' sound. It has all his style and production without being too much, which I think is what a lot of his later stuff has been.

Lee 05-11-2017 10:31 AM

I have to say that out of the three solo Lindsey albums that I have, this one is my favorite. Gift of Screws is a close second.

Lee :)

button-lip 05-11-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 1209361)
I have to say that out of the three solo Lindsey albums that I have, this one is my favorite. Gift of Screws is a close second.

Same here. I always compare Lindsey's OOTC to Stevie's Bella Donna in terms of perfection. Not a bad song, you are always on the mood to listen to them and it's a pleasure to do it. :)

Murrow 05-21-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 1209361)

I've got all of them except Go Insane and I have to say OOTC and Gift of Screws are easily my top two as well.

I hold onto my physical copy but I also treasure my download where at least the intros and songs aren't going to crop up separately on track shuffle.

Murrow 05-21-2017 03:05 PM

I've been a Mac fan since Tango came out but didn't get OOTC till around 2005. The song Turn It On, written after the death of Lindsey's brother Greg, gave me strength at the time as my mother had not long since died. It taught me that she would want me to go on and do positive things with my life even after she'd gone. Within a couple years I was going to university at the age of 33.