The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christine on the new tour... a back up singer? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58085)

diamondsnake 09-05-2018 08:35 PM

Christine on the new tour... a back up singer?

After the Ellen performance today, I am the most intrigued at how Christine will be incorporated into this new tour. They performed two songs and she didn't really sing in either of them. The fact that neither song included a single Christine solo (musically or vocally) is scary. This has to be purposeful. I did see her on the Buckingham McVie tour and she didn't have much vocal range, but she still had charisma. How will this work for the new tour? It will be quite odd if she isn't given at least 1/3rd of the songs in the set list. What is everyone's thoughts?

I'm sad. This should just be a Stevie solo tour, with guests. Coming from that perspective, this could be joyful. But calling this Fleetwood Mac is a disgrace.

dontlookdown 09-05-2018 08:42 PM

Chris's voice is shot.
I think they will do their best to "lift" her parts with other players, but I remember it sounding very shaky on the Buck/McVie tour.
She didn't keep up with the vocal training like Stevie did, and it shows.

louielouie2000 09-05-2018 08:49 PM

I wouldn’t read too much into the set list from the Ellen show. I suppose The Chain was inevitable, as was a Stevie-penned song. That unfortunately left Christine out... but this is unequivocally the Stevie Show now. The choice of both of these songs truly cements that. The Chain is the band’s anthem and only “group” song- this was the band’s way of legitimizing this new lineup. And there was no way the second song performed would be anything other than a Stevie tune. She’s not just the “star,” she’s now the boss. Hence why she was grinning like an imp the entire time, in spite of the rather sad renditions of each song.

Sugar Mouse 09-05-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondsnake (Post 1235608)
After the Ellen performance today, I am the most intrigued at how Christine will be incorporated into this new tour. They performed two songs and she didn't really sing in either of them. The fact that neither song included a single Christine solo (musically or vocally) is scary. This has to be purposeful. I did see her on the Buckingham McVie tour and she didn't have much vocal range, but she still had charisma. How will this work for the new tour? It will be quite odd if she isn't given at least 1/3rd of the songs in the set list. What is everyone's thoughts?

I'm sad. This should just be a Stevie solo tour, with guests. Coming from that perspective, this could be joyful. But calling this Fleetwood Mac is a disgrace.

I suspect Christine may decide to part ways with the band after this tour. Perhaps she'll join with Lindsey or perhaps she'll simply retire. I am surprised that the band didn't play a 3rd song (Little Lies?) that could have been web-only.

BLY 09-05-2018 08:58 PM

As much as I hate to come to terms with it but it’s over. Yes,Mick can still play the hell out of his drums but Stevie and Christine’s voices are done. Buckingham still has a lot of energy and creativity so his tour will be amazing. He may have pulled the Mac through for the 2018/2019 tour... but after the Ellen show I’m not sure. I think this is the END of the band. All good.

SteveMacD 09-05-2018 09:12 PM

It was two songs on a TV show and the first public performance of the band.

I think it’s way too soon to read into anything or reach any conclusions.

Rewatch that interview with the roadies. They weren’t instantly great with the Rumours band. There were growing pains. Stevie especially struggled early on that first tour.

BLY 09-05-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1235614)
It was two songs on a TV show and the first public performance of the band.

I think it’s way too soon to read into anything or reach any conclusions.

Rewatch that interview with the roadies. They weren’t instantly great with the Rumours band. There were growing pains. Stevie especially struggled early on that first tour.

True my friend but in their 20’s at the time not in their 70’s....just saying.😎

SteveMacD 09-05-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1235616)
True my friend but in their 20’s at the time not in their 70’s....just saying.��

Regardless of age, they still need to find their groove, which takes time and miles. If we had judged LBCM by their initial TV appearances, a lot of us would have missed out on some good shows.

bombaysaffires 09-05-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1235610)
I wouldn’t read too much into the set list from the Ellen show. I suppose The Chain was inevitable, as was a Stevie-penned song. That unfortunately left Christine out... but this is unequivocally the Stevie Show now. The choice of both of these songs truly cements that. The Chain is the band’s anthem and only “group” song- this was the band’s way of legitimizing this new lineup. And there was no way the second song performed would be anything other than a Stevie tune. She’s not just the “star,” she’s now the boss. Hence why she was grinning like an imp the entire time, in spite of the rather sad renditions of each song.

no, the version we have is truly a multi songwriter composition. Stevie wrote the chorus, but Lindsey wrote the verses, and from after the second verse on comes directly off of Christine's song, including the bass line John created and Lindsey's guitar solo. All the keyboards in that second half are from her song.

It's truly a collaboration between the 5, done when they were going through really tough times, and it's about the sticking together and getting through it. That's what makes it sad to hear with other players. I'm guessing they thought the message of sticking together through tough times and carrying on was somehow appropriate to their current situation, but when one of the key architects of the song isn't there it's a bit ironic.

SteveMacD 09-05-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1235625)
no, the version we have is truly a multi songwriter composition.

Reread the quote:

“I suppose The Chain was inevitable, as was a Stevie-penned song.”

In other words, The Chain AND a Stevie-penned song were inevitable.

bombaysaffires 09-05-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1235627)
Reread the quote:

“I suppose The Chain was inevitable, as was a Stevie-penned song.”

In other words, The Chain AND a Stevie-penned song were inevitable.

You're right. My mistake. I read it as "as it was a Stevie-penned song".

Apologies to the original poster.

ryan4136 09-06-2018 10:03 AM

She'll do what Stevie decides apparently. Like the rest.

jbrownsjr 09-06-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan4136 (Post 1235700)
She'll do what Stevie decides apparently. Like the rest.

You'll do as your told!!! :laugh:

Set List:

The Chain
Stand Back
Stop Draggin My Heart Around
Dreams/Outside The Rain
Has Anyone Ever Written with Mike on Piano
Gypsy
Seven Wonders
In Your Dreams
World Turning with Stevie on Christine's parts
If Anyone Falls
Landslide solo with pre-recorded track of ac guitar
Don't Stop (with Glee cast and Christine back stage)
Rhiannon
I Will Run To You

Encore
Silver Girl
No Questions Asked
Goodbye Baby

lovethemac1 09-06-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1235701)
You'll do as your told!!! :laugh:

Set List:

The Chain
Stand Back
Stop Draggin My Heart Around
Dreams/Outside The Rain
Has Anyone Ever Written with Mike on Piano
Gypsy
Seven Wonders
In Your Dreams
World Turning with Stevie on Christine's parts
If Anyone Falls
Landslide solo with pre-recorded track of ac guitar
Don't Stop (with Glee cast and Christine back stage)
Rhiannon
I Will Run To You

Encore
Silver Girl
No Questions Asked
Goodbye Baby

This made me laugh out loud, more than once!! Thank you!!

Mike on piano hahahahahahahahahaha.

HomerMcvie 09-06-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethemac1 (Post 1235703)

Mike on piano hahahahahahahahahaha.

Hopefully doing that RIDICULOUS single finger plinking like he did yesterday!:laugh: