The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   why are SN fans so bitter about FM? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56684)

elle 12-09-2016 08:13 PM

why are SN fans so bitter about FM?

i'm really confused.

SN has had a great solo career. she has been revered as a rock legend. she seems so happy lately, on a very successful tour with another legendary woman rocker. her tour seems to be everything her fans have been dreaming of for years and decades.

so why do her fans sound so bitter towards the rest of FM, and towards other fans?

bwboy 12-09-2016 08:18 PM

Hmmm, maybe posters like secondhandchain and homer can answer why they say the things they say about Stevie...

aleuzzi 12-09-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1197756)
i'm really confused.

SN has had a great solo career. she has been revered as a rock legend. she seems so happy lately, on a very successful tour with another legendary woman rocker. her tour seems to be everything her fans have been dreaming of for years and decades.

so why do her fans sound so bitter towards the rest of FM, and towards other fans?

I think you know why. But it's good to start a thread and get those reasons out, I guess, especially since FM fans have nothing else to do but complain and shout in frustration.

Stevie fans are protective of her. They sense anger coming from the band fans who are, righty or wrongly, pinning all of the blame for no new FM music on her. Most Stevie fans wouldn't be disappointed if she left the band for good and continued to do her own thing. Band fans want the band to be more than an oldies troupe reliving former glories over and over again, less imaginatively each time. If this means as a foursome, a certain subsection of fans (myself included) are happy to see the back of her.

Stevie works hard in both contexts. She's not lazy. But with FM she isn't generating anything anymore. It's all posture and posing these days, retelling and reselling the same yarns.

Danielle 12-09-2016 09:04 PM

I am not bitter at all. "My girl" is out there doing what she loves most and the critics are raving about her concerts! The audiences are thrilled, and she looks overjoyed and sounds wonderful. I couldn't be happier actually.

Everyone should get to do whatever they want to do. As long as Stevie is happy, I am happy too.

jbrownsjr 12-09-2016 09:07 PM

Because they are self absorbed just like her and should be turn into fairy dust and thrown down straight back into the darkness.

Macfanforever 12-09-2016 10:05 PM

Bitter.I may sound bitter on anything.See my post 223 in http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56571 thread as I said about all of Mac.

We are lucky to have all of them alive............................................................................................... ..................................

elle 12-09-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1197762)
I am not bitter at all. "My girl" is out there doing what she loves most and the critics are raving about her concerts! The audiences are thrilled, and she looks overjoyed and sounds wonderful. I couldn't be happier actually.

Everyone should get to do whatever they want to do. As long as Stevie is happy, I am happy too.

sorry, should have said "some" fans. always wrong to generalize.

you've been nothing but wonderful to everyone, thanks for all that you find and share! :xoxo:

KenshiMaster16 12-09-2016 10:54 PM

Stevie's happy now, sure. Just you watch. When one of them eventually kicks the bucket, her tune is going to go from "Album? Albums don't sell, who wants an album? Let's tour instead" to "Oh, it's such a shame we never got to make another album, the five of us. Would've been such a nice ending to a long rock and roll fantasy tale."

Same reason she complained and complained about how albums aren't for her anymore and then boom, out comes IYD and 24KG. Her stories change so much and so often even a perfect historian couldn't get a proper timeline of events from her.

secondhandchain 12-10-2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1197757)
Hmmm, maybe posters like secondhandchain and homer can answer why they say the things they say about Stevie...

I've been a LONG time fan of hers. But she begged Chris to come back and we all were overjoyed that there would be a new album. She changes the reasons why she won't do it depending on the day. "albums don't sell" "I don't care if they sell". It's annoying and I'm really bummed out that we won't get the five together for one more. I really don't want to hear Rhiannon for the five millionth time. What I love about this band is their creativity in the studio. I'm really bummed out that she is doing this. Sorry.

KarmaContestant 12-10-2016 03:13 AM

I'm not bitter at all about FM. What I am bitter about is all the shade thrown at Stevie by some people in this forum over the absence of a new FM album. As if she holds the reins - nope, that's Mick and Lindsey. They could have released that damn album two years ago. It's not Stevie's fault they're holding out for her. She's made it pretty clear that she has no desire to participate in a new album. It takes too long. It's excruciating (I imagine) dealing with the band politics in the studio, the nitpicking over pronouns, and the subsequent label negotiations. It isn't fun making an album with FM, as she has mentioned more than couple times recently. Too much business and not enough art.

I'd love a new FM album, with or without Stevie. Like many of you, I feel a bit of disappointment that we aren't likely to see one. Unlike many of you, I've accepted it and moved on to find enjoyment in what *is* happening instead of obsessing over what isn't.

24karatstevie 12-10-2016 03:32 AM

I am also not bitter. Just because Stevie is my favourite member doesn't mean I don't love the other 4. I'm actually really proud of Stevie for going out and doing what makes her happy with this solo tour. While I would love a new album with all 5, I understand Stevie's reluctance. However, if the other 4 want to go ahead and release an album that's fine with me; I would love to hear new music. And while I personally wouldn't attend a show without Stevie there, I have no problem with a small 4 piece tour for those who would like to see it. The only thing I'm not fond of is the outright name calling against Stevie (or any of the members for that matter). My only wish is that the proposed 2018 world tour will be a mix of greatest hits and deep cuts. This formula has certainly worked for the 24 Karat Gold Tour. Hopefully, something will come about in the near future that will make all fans happy.

SisterNightroad 12-10-2016 06:11 AM

I consider myself a fan of both, which is strangely uncommon in this divisive fandom, and I am really satisfied right now.
I think that being a fan of both of them gives me much more enjoyment since when the band isn't active Stevie's solo career is, instead of feeling like one takes something away from the other, and alternating between the two makes things more interesting.

bwboy 12-10-2016 07:05 AM

I'm with sisternightroad- I'm a fan of FM, especially the Rumours line up and the Behind the Mask lineup. But I'm a fan of Stevie, a fan of Christine, and to a lesser degree, a fan of Lindsey, too. And when I say fan, I mean of their work. Stevie has the advantage here, as she's been the most prolific of the three. My thought has always been, when/if a member has success as a solo artist, it keeps the name Fleetwood Mac in the public eye, which is a good thing. Virtually every review of Stevie's latest album and tour starts off with "Fleetwood Mac member Stevie Nicks..." and the same thing goes for Lindsey and Christine. Her current tour is such a success, she (and the Pretenders, of course) have added 20 more cities, and to me, that bodes well for FM when they do release an album or go back on the road again.

Macfan4life 12-10-2016 07:22 AM

I am also a huge fan of both and have attended solo shows of the singers and have their albums. A true miracle happened and Christine came back to the band after 16 years and performed a HUGE world tour. Even then people started to attack them for performing too much and not recording a new album. People forgot about the miracle and when a miracle happens sit back and enjoy it. The biggest miracle would be for these 5 members to record an album together. This has not happened since the 1980's. For what ever reason, Stevie is dragging her feet. But even worse IMHO, she is not honest with her fans. Does anyone really believe the reason she does not want to do the album is because it might not be good? That is an insult to the rest of the band and Christine. So there is a reason why there is a bitterness towards Stevie in this forum. She is preventing a miracle from happening. The Stevie (only) fans have reacted in attacking the rest of the band. I see the band as innocent and just wanting to record an album. As real or true fans we should all want that. I do not see the band touring without Stevie. I think that was a statement to get Stevie's attention to come back to the band. The band is older and they travel in lavish ways in private jets, etc. The band playing small theaters could not travel and support their touring lifestyle. In addition, to practice and tour only to come off the tour and rehearse and tour again is a bit strange. Maybe the band would showcase their new songs while Stevie hides backstage. If the Stevie ONLY fans do not like discussing Fleetwood Mac there are other forums devoted only to Stevie's solo career.

SisterNightroad 12-10-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1197785)
I am also a huge fan of both and have attended solo shows of the singers and have their albums. A true miracle happened and Christine came back to the band after 16 years and performed a HUGE world tour. Even then people started to attack them for performing too much and not recording a new album. People forgot about the miracle and when a miracle happens sit back and enjoy it. The biggest miracle would be for these 5 members to record an album together. This has not happened since the 1980's. For what ever reason, Stevie is dragging her feet. But even worse IMHO, she is not honest with her fans. Does anyone really believe the reason she does not want to do the album is because it might not be good? That is an insult to the rest of the band and Christine. So there is a reason why there is a bitterness towards Stevie in this forum. She is preventing a miracle from happening. The Stevie (only) fans have reacted in attacking the rest of the band. I see the band as innocent and just wanting to record an album. As real or true fans we should all want that. I do not see the band touring without Stevie. I think that was a statement to get Stevie's attention to come back to the band. The band is older and they travel in lavish ways in private jets, etc. The band playing small theaters could not travel and support their touring lifestyle. In addition, to practice and tour only to come off the tour and rehearse and tour again is a bit strange. Maybe the band would showcase their new songs while Stevie hides backstage. If the Stevie ONLY fans do not like discussing Fleetwood Mac there are other forums devoted only to Stevie's solo career.

I really think it's naive to think that Stevie can put a stop to the rest of the band, she is only one fifth of the band and I doubt that she alone has the power to force the other four fifths to do anything they don't want to.
However I'm curious, don't you consider The Dance a group effort? It's one of my favourite periods of this band.
I don't think Stevie is necessarily dishonest, unless it's bout being dishonest with herself. In the end she didn't say that the album wouldn't be good, she said that it wouldn't sell, which is different, and actually the more an album is good, the more frustrating it is if it doesn't sell.
I also think that at this point in their lives we as real and true fans should be happy with whatever the band members want to give to us, they already gave us very much and deserve in their older years to do what they want at the time they want.
I have missed these Stevie fans attacking the rest of the band, where has it happened?