The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5 worst decisions in Fleetwood Mac's career (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=7458)

anna 10-08-2002 05:04 PM

5 worst decisions in Fleetwood Mac's career

Well? :)

Anna

joe68 10-08-2002 05:13 PM

1) Taking 6 years to follow up "The Dance"and taking so much time betweem albums altogether.

2) Not enough publicity...ever.

3) Various band members coming and going.

4) Continuing to use the brand name on "Time" and "Behind the Mask".

5) Lindsey's songs on "Tusk".

chiliD 10-08-2002 05:46 PM

1) "Going their own ways" after the end of the Tusk tour.

should've taken a break, yeah, but not 3 YEARS! Maybe ONE year (while the Live album was getting the attention), then back in the studio...no Bella Donna, no Law & Order, no Visitor...one fully conceived studio album by Fleetwood Mac...if either Stevie or Lindsey wanted out, show 'em the door and get new people THEN. Their solo works should NOT have dictated the band's work schedule

2) Letting Christine have so much room on "Time"

record with the who the public sees on tour, not a confusing mix of one incarnation on the road, two in the studio

3) Releasing the 1988 Greatest Hits album BEFORE releasing a FULL album of new material with the new incarnation.

Another case of Billy Burnette & Rick Vito being under appreciated by their bandmates. They were WELL received on the "Shakin' The Cage" TOUR; should've translated into a follow-up album right away...not 3 years down the road.

4) "The Chain" box set

A bad idea that was poorly conceived, poorly executed.

5) The entire post-"Dance" tour marketing blunders

WB/Reprise should've released the studio version of "Bleed To Love Her" as a CD single in February 1998 (with "Steal Your Heart Away" & the live "Bleed To Love Her" as the extra tunes); followed by the full "Gift Of Screws" album two weeks subsequent to Fleetwood Mac's HoF induction. That was the whole motivation for Lindsey to even DO "The Dance", to get the marketing machinery in gear. Then after Stevie finished her "Enchanted" tour later in 1998, Fleetwood Mac should've started work on a studio album THEN, not waited 4 years.

Gypsy-Rhiannon 10-09-2002 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by joe68
2) Not enough publicity...ever.
Amen to that

Pip

Gypsy-Rhiannon 10-09-2002 05:00 AM

Quote:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Pip

Vianna 10-09-2002 07:28 AM

Interesting question=:-)

1.) Not enough publicity! at least since I've been a fan, and that's been 23 years now.

2.) Making Tusk a double album-ran the cost up too much so it didn't sell as well

3)Waiting all this time since the Dance to do a new album

4)Having 5 different managers - makes it more difficult to get things organized and done

5) Not releasing GOS right after the Dance

CarneVaca 10-09-2002 08:00 AM

Don't know if I could come up with the Top 5. After all, there are so many.

But I'd say the worst decision was to not let me join the band after Lindsey left in 1987!

As for Lindsey's songs on Tusk, they MAKE Tusk. Otherwise, it would have been a run-of-the-mill pop album.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!

joe 10-09-2002 08:14 AM

1. Taking too long between albums since 1982.

2. Continuing the band after Behind the Mask. (the Time concert
was the most depressing thing i've witnessed)

3. Extensive touring back in the 70's. (causing burn out)

4. (Relating to the above) Allowing Stevie to "shred her vocals" (yeah...i know they can't "make" her sing any particular way but for argument's sake!)

5. Not changing their set list from tour to tour.

Sorcerer386 10-09-2002 01:31 PM

1. Straying from the Rumours sound (sorry, but I'm a firm believer in not fixing it if it's not broken).

2. The 90's (until The Dance).

3. Breaking solo in the early 80's (although it was good for solo fans, it eventually killed the band).

4. Drugs and rehab.

5. As people have said, waiting too long after The Dance to release new material.

Mac Fan 10-09-2002 02:17 PM

Quote:

What's wrong with them?

seteca 10-09-2002 02:21 PM

1. Letting Lindsey go in 1987 (I mean "let go" in any sense that you want it to mean...I'm not gonna start arguing about whether he left or "basically was fired".) If you watch the '92 OOTC Concert Video, it is clear that Lindsey was both musically and vocally at his aboslute peak. His voice was at that point where he could reach the "highs" of the Rumours-era, and could also reach the low ones he hit on The Dance. Imagine how incredible the equivalent(s) of the Behind The Mask and Time albums would have been if he was still at the helm.

2. Having the worst publicity any group/artist has ever had.

3. Releasing about half of the amount of albums that they SHOULD have done in a 35 year career. And it's their post-blues line-ups which are to blame. They have 18 studio albums. ELEVEN of them were released between '68 and '74. Between '75 and '87 only five were released....that's pretty poor. And between '87 and '95 two were released....that's just pathetic.

4. Not playing "Oh Well"...a signature FM tune, on The Dance.

and here's a bold 5th statement...

5. Allowing Lindsey (or Lindsey allowing himself!) to use his GOS songs for the new album, instead of releasing GOS as a separate album and getting him to work on a whole load of goodies for the new album.

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Rainman 10-09-2002 02:27 PM

Lindsey's songs??

QUOTE]5) Lindsey's songs on "Tusk". [/QUOTE]

You must be joking. His work makes this album, IMHO.

seteca 10-09-2002 02:34 PM

Re: Lindsey's songs??

Quote:

Originally posted by Rainman
You must be joking. His work makes this album, IMHO.
My sentiments exactly.:nod:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Rainman 10-09-2002 02:49 PM

Quote:

5. Allowing Lindsey (or Lindsey allowing himself!) to use his GOS songs for the new album, instead of releasing GOS as a separate album and getting him to work on a whole load of goodies for the new album.

You're right, Seteca. That's a bold idea.

And a #!%!ing good one.

BlueGrass 10-09-2002 02:49 PM

1: Not releasing GOS right after "The Dance." This is a great album, that would of been big on VH1 with singles like "Steal Your Heart Away," "Down On Rodeo" and "Say Goodbye."

2: Basically breaking up from '80-'82.

3: Going on to record "Time."

4: Too Many greatest hit's packages, e.i. '88 GH's, The CHain and "Best Of.."

5: Lack of publicity