The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Which of Christine's singles should have hit #1? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=19271)

Johnny Stew 05-09-2005 09:25 PM

Which of Christine's singles should have hit #1?

In the 1993 article that MacFan57 posted earlier today, Christine said that one of her regrets was that she never had a #1 single with Fleetwood Mac... and that made me wonder which single other fans felt most deserved to hit the top of the charts.

I'm only going to list Christine's Mac singles from 1975 onward, as I think that's the time frame in which she would have been most likely to have a #1.
I'm also going to only list the songs that were released as singles in the US, as it seems to have been the US charts that she was referring to in the article.

Over My Head (#20)
Say You Love Me (#11)
Don't Stop (#3)
You Make Loving Fun (#9)
Think About Me (#20)
Hold Me (#4)
Love In Store (#22)
Little Lies (#4)
Everywhere (#14)
As Long As You Follow (#43)
Save Me (#33)
Skies The Limit (--)

So... which should it have been?
Do you vote for that anthem of optimism, "Don't Stop," or the pure pop bliss of "Little Lies"?
Will it be the gorgeous "As Long As You Follow," or the lilting "Over My Head"?
Or maybe you prefer the slinky tones of "Love In Store"?

And, no... "all of them" isn't an acceptable answer, Homie! :p ;)

amber 05-09-2005 09:44 PM

Or would you pick the fun little ditty with great harmonies that is "Say You Love Me"?

Johnny Stew 05-09-2005 09:52 PM

"As Long As You Follow" is, I'd have to say, my all-time favorite Christine song... however, I think the single most deserving of that spot at the very top of the charts, is "Little Lies."

It's everything I think a great single should be... buoyant and hooky, with a chorus that couldn't be catchier if it had pneumonia.

HomerMcvie 05-09-2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

Yo yo B, are you trying to give me a bad rep? Or do I have one already? :confused: :xoxo: If being Chris' greatest fan is my cross to bear, I gladly accept it.
Anyway, "my" favorites would be YMLF, and As Long As You Follow, BUT, as far as public opinion goes, I would think Little Lies would be the ultimate song/ production, as far as being a #1 hit.

GypsySorcerer 05-09-2005 11:13 PM

Great topic, Stew. :thumbsup:

"Little Lies" deserved to hit #1. It is one of the definitive songs of the 80s, IMO. "Say You Love Me" is another strong single.

I have a soft spot for "Over My Head." It's hypnotic and quite sensual. :nod:

ontheEdgeof17 05-09-2005 11:31 PM

Little Lies is my top choice for the #1 spot. It just oozes the '80s without being so cheesy about it.

Don't Stop and Hold Me were so damn close. It's funny how both of them were a Chris and Linds duet. They should have had more of those. :thumbsup:

Personally, The Chain should have been a single. It would have definately been number 1. Then they all could have said they had a #1 single.

face of glass 05-10-2005 04:38 AM

"Hold Me". Christine's songwriting with Lindsey's brand of idiosyncratic nuttiness. :nod:

macfan 57 05-10-2005 06:09 AM

I could have picked all of them. ;) But, I guess I'd have to go with "Don't Stop". I remember that song was on the radio all the time all that summer & it did come closest to #1. It's such a terrific upbeat song. "Little Lies" would be my second choice, extremely catchy, pure perfect pop. But my favorite song of her singles is "You Make Loving Fun". The most underrated song of her singles is "Think About Me". That song should have charted much higher.

Technically, Chris had four #1 singles-"Got A Hold On Me", "Little Lies", "Everywhere" & "As Long As You Follow"(on the Adult Contemporary chart).

I also agree about "Friend". That was one of her best singles ever.

ThePenguin 05-10-2005 07:25 AM

Hmm if I had to choose a few... I'd go w/ Little Lies, Say You Love Me and Don't Stop. Even today you still hear those three songs everywhere.

I agree w/ GypsySorcerer that Over My Head is amazingly sexy!!!! :D Gotta love that song on a good sound system.

-Lis

chiliD 05-10-2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

DAMN!!!! :D Then, these should've hit the top spot.

Quote:

Over My Head (#20)
Say You Love Me (#11)
Don't Stop (#3)
You Make Loving Fun (#9)
Hold Me (#4)
Love In Store (#22)
Little Lies (#4)
Everywhere (#14)
Along with:

Got A Hold On Me
Love Will Show Us How
I Do

Josh2003 05-10-2005 08:59 AM

It seems that among all of my non-FM-fan friends, "Little Lies" is the most recognized. When they ask me what Fleetwood Mac sings, I usually first sing the chorus of "Little Lies" and more than likely, they say "Ahhhh, ok!"

GateandGarden 05-10-2005 09:43 AM

The first one I thought should have that spot is "Hold Me," but I agree with everyone on "Little Lies," too.

The Tower 05-10-2005 10:56 AM

"You Make Loving Fun" !!!!!
That song gives me chills every time. For me, it's the ultimate 1977 summer song.

Remember when they played just the harmony vocals on the Classic Albums: Rumours thing? :blob2: ZIIIIPPPPPPPPPP! There go the chills again!

strandinthewind 05-10-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tower
That song gives me chills every time. For me, it's the ultimate 1977 summer song.

Remember when they played just the harmony vocals on the Classic Albums: Rumours thing? :blob2: ZIIIIPPPPPPPPPP! There go the chills again!

HOLD YOU HAT AND HALLELUJAH - YES CHILD

AND - La Nicks' look of pure elation at the end of the Rumor's live footage makes me beam.

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbrownsjr 05-10-2005 11:19 AM

Hold Me

the harmonies and voices are so well cut,that it can't be done live as good as studio! this was a #1 song in my mind

aleuzzi 05-10-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

I agree with you. I could listen to that segment of the documentary all day.

Neal 05-10-2005 12:08 PM

'Little Lies' goes without saying, but I'd have to say that 'Save Me' is a close second. I've always loved this song, and still don't understand why is wasn't a big hit... :confused:

CreepingDeath 05-10-2005 12:17 PM

Definitely Little Lies & You Make Loving Fun.

I also think alot of Christine's work on BTM is extremely underrated (outside of the die hards) and should have been a hit.

PenguinHead 05-10-2005 12:32 PM

"Don't Stop" came close to #1. It's a song that definately has a universal appeal and message. Hold Me and Little Lies should have hit the top of the charts.

Regarding the live performance of Hold Me:

The first time I saw the band was on their Mirage Tour (which I consider one of their best, tightest tours...and it's their last tour with just the five of them.) I was wondering how they would pull of the harmonies of "Hold me...eeee." Instead of attempting that... they sang "Hold me...yeah!"

I think it's unfair to compare the studio versions to the live versions. The studio versions are painstakingly labored over, with multiple layers of instruments and vocals, in a controlled environment. When I see a band, I don't want to hear a carbon copy of the record. In Fleetwood Mac's case, that would never happen with just four instruments.

My enjoyment and interest in the live performances is seeing how they adapt the songs for a concert. For me it's not a matter of the live band trying to match the studio version. I tend to judge the live performance on its own merit. So I think "Hold Me" holds up! Sure, it's more raw, but I find it to be less lightweight and more rock and roll (than the studio version), especially the ending.

One thing that I think is killing the spontaneous raw nature of rock and roll concerts is this newfound, current generation expectation to hear perfect renditions of songs. As such, concerts are becoming less real and unique, and more planned and canned, safe and sound.

The pressure is on, and musicians, with more technology at hand, are bowing to it. How else do you explain Fleetwood Mac touring with TEN additional members? For me, the very live soul of the band has been gutted in order to placate a new MTV generation that has very different expectations. Unfornately, that is the nature of the current, septic corporate music industry.

Just listen to all the bootlegs of the Say You Will tour. They, for the most part, all sound the same. I prefer the uneven, but very real performances of the band circa 1975-1982. To borrow Lindsey's overused term, these are "organic" peformances where you can hear and single out every instrument and vocal line, for better or worse.

jbrownsjr 05-10-2005 12:54 PM

In my opinion, they did not do this song justice in concert on the Mirage tour. Christine did this song on her solo tour 1984 and it was much much better. I realize this is not a popular opinion but it's more complimentary to the production of the studio version. I like the clarity of it. I think it's a quite fair opinion.... ;)

PenguinHead 05-10-2005 12:56 PM

Of course! Every opinion is fair! :wavey:

jbrownsjr 05-10-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead
Of course! Every opinion is fair! :wavey:

NO WAY only mine are fair, all others are very biased!! :shrug:

HomerMcvie 05-10-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
But my favorite song of her singles is "You Make Loving Fun". The most underrated song of her singles is "Think About Me".

YMLF would be my alltime favorite, followed by Think About Me. Then, Hold Me, then As Long As You Follow.
I've been listening to the Tusk Bonus disc for the past couple weeks, and I save the Think About Me single version until I'm about 3 minutes from work, so it's the song stuck in my head!

ThePenguin 05-10-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Have to agree.....goose bumps, every time!!!!

-Lis

Dark Angel 05-10-2005 01:33 PM

This is difficult. I like all of them, though I can do without Don't Stop due to the whole Clinton thing. :lol:
I can't pick just one, so...Little Lies, YMLF, and Over My Head.

GypsySorcerer 05-10-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath
I also think alot of Christine's work on BTM is extremely underrated (outside of the die hards) and should have been a hit.

Absolutely. Her BTM material is fab. :nod:

macfan 57 05-10-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
In my opinion, they did not do this song justice in concert on the Mirage tour. Christine did this song on her solo tour 1984 and it was much much better. I realize this is not a popular opinion but it's more complimentary to the production of the studio version. I like the clarity of it.

It doesn't matter if this isn't a popular opinion. I agree. Her live solo version of "Hold Me" was better. :thumbsup:

blinker12 05-10-2005 04:19 PM

It surprises me that she actually cares about having a #1. She always comes across as so humble and self-deprecating in interviews.
But of her singles, I think "You Make Loving Fun" is the most interesting -- I'd say that should have gone to the top.
Also, "Think About Me" should have gone much higher than it did -- at least Top 10. I think it was mostly because Tusk, the album, ran out of steam so quickly that it didn't go higher. I love that song!

jbrownsjr 05-10-2005 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12
It surprises me that she actually cares about having a #1. She always comes across as so humble and self-deprecating in interviews.
But of her singles, I think "You Make Loving Fun" is the most interesting -- I'd say that should have gone to the top.
Also, "Think About Me" should have gone much higher than it did -- at least Top 10. I think it was mostly because Tusk, the album, ran out of steam so quickly that it didn't go higher. I love that song!

That is my theory too! If they would have released Think About Me or Sara first, Tusk would have lasted a little longer.

Sugar 05-10-2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

Word. Can't believe it took until the 14th post for someone to mention it. :laugh: I especially love the harmonies on the final "Yoooooooou, you make lovin' fun/ it's all I wanna do." (Maybe that's the same part you guys are talking about from the doc...?)

All I know is that I have that "Rumours Staying True" thing (I know it's just someone pulling the vocals forward on the DVD-A or something) and I can listen to that part over and over again on that. :thumbsup:

Sugar 05-10-2005 05:29 PM

Quote:

Hold Me

the harmonies and voices are so well cut,that it can't be done live as good as studio! this was a #1 song in my mind

I. Love. This. Live.

This would be my #2 choice (after YMLF)

Somajoseph 05-11-2005 10:03 PM

Ths songs I think should have gone to #1 are Little Lies, all over the radio back in 1987, Hold Me, and You Make Loving Fun.
I do remember loving Hold Me live on the Mirage Tour back in 1982. It was loose and fun and very rock n roll, like PenguinHead mentioned. I was really disappointed it wasnt on their Mirage HBO special.

Joseph

NaiveMelody23 05-12-2005 06:52 AM

Little Lies or Hold Me, because my friends reocnize that the most

HomerMcvie 05-12-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
It doesn't matter if this isn't a popular opinion. I agree. Her live solo version of "Hold Me" was better. :thumbsup:

Anyone got a mp3 of this?

SteveMacD 05-12-2005 03:41 PM

Which singles should have hit #1?

ALL OF THEM!!!
:thumbsup:

GateandGarden 05-12-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Anyone got a mp3 of this?

Yeah, does anyone have that? I don't think I knew it existed. I've heard the demo that has her vocals only, which I didn't particularly like. Is this different?

HomerMcvie 05-12-2005 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Which singles should have hit #1?

ALL OF THEM!!!
:thumbsup:

Careful now Stevo :sorry: , Johnny Stew will be coming after ya for your Christine love! His chiffon ruffled into a tizzy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny Stew 05-12-2005 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Careful now Stevo :sorry: , Johnny Stew will be coming after ya for your Christine love! His chiffon ruffled into a tizzy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not at all, my friend! I think everyone should be allowed to heap praise and affection on their favorite member without fear of ridicule. Just gotta watch out for those double-standards.

Beyond that, it's just fun to tease you! :laugh:

jbrownsjr 05-13-2005 01:01 AM

Quote:

Not at all, my friend! I think everyone should be allowed to heap praise and affection on their favorite member without fear of ridicule. Just gotta watch out for those double-standards.

Beyond that, it's just fun to tease you! :laugh:

Go stare at ur Stevie posters and say 5 hail Christine's for goofing off in the Queen's forum! :mad:

Johnny Stew 05-13-2005 01:25 AM

Quote:

Go stare at ur Stevie posters and say 5 hail Christine's for goofing off in the Queen's forum! :mad:

*ROFLMAO*

Goober. :xoxo:

Hmm... I don't think there's a forum here that I haven't posted on. Whether or not I should be proud of that, is another story! :o