The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2019 Movie Reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58542)

Jondalar 02-09-2019 06:17 PM

2019 Movie Reviews
 
A new year has dawned.


1. The Prodigy, grade C- = horror movie, there are a couple of good moments in this movie but it doesnít make up for the weird pacing and lame ending. This is a Netflix movie.

Jondalar 02-10-2019 10:59 PM

2. Can You Ever Forgive Me? grade B = true story about a writer who is poor and can’t pay her bills so she starts writing fake memorabilia letters from famous authors and eventually gets caught. Melissa McCarthy gives a good performance. This came out in 2018 and she is nominated for an Oscar for her performance. It’s just a nice movie.

Jondalar 02-16-2019 11:08 PM

3. Alita Battle Angel, grade B = unique movie that somehow manages to be predictable but new. The best things about this movie are the fight scenes and the dystopian visuals. Itís a cross between Aen Flux, Blade Runner and the Terminator. Worst thing about this movie is that the ending is just there to set up a sequel and could have been better.

mylittledemon 02-17-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1249172)
3. Alita Battle Angel, grade B

I just saw this last night and ended up hating it. Went in with no expectations though. Right out of the gate the movie was trouble for me because I didn't care about the characters or what was happening. The story should've been stronger, and it didn't hook me. Then the movie became laughable which was fun. A lot of the other patrons were chuckling during what were supposed to be the big dramatic moments in the movie. 4/10

Jondalar 02-17-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1249173)
I just saw this last night and ended up hating it. Went in with no expectations though. Right out of the gate the movie was trouble for me because I didn't care about the characters or what was happening. The story should've been stronger, and it didn't hook me. Then the movie became laughable which was fun. A lot of the other patrons were chuckling during what were supposed to be the big dramatic moments in the movie. 4/10

Yeah there are a lot of people who didnít like it but I did like the main character. Iím into sci-fi and used to read Manga. I liked it more than most because of the different cyborgs and action. The story was sort of lame though, especially for sci-fi, but I did like the world. I totally understand your opinion though.

mylittledemon 02-17-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1249174)
Yeah there are a lot of people who didnít like it but I did like the main character. Iím into sci-fi and used to read Manga. I liked it more than most because of the different cyborgs and action. The story was sort of lame though, especially for sci-fi, but I did like the world. I totally understand your opinion though.

I'm totally into sci-fi too, but Blade Runner it was not. :laugh: Not that I expected it to be at that level. And as gorgeous as the film was, it was just lacking in everything underneath... so if there is an "Alita 2" I'm hopping off the bandwagon now.

Jondalar 02-17-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1249177)
I'm totally into sci-fi too, but Blade Runner it was not. :laugh: Not that I expected it to be at that level. And as gorgeous as the film was, it was just lacking in everything underneath... so if there is an "Alita 2" I'm hopping off the bandwagon now.

I didnít say it was Blade Runner. I said it was a mixture of things. I think this movie is a niche movie. I liked that world even though it could of been done better.

mylittledemon 02-17-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1249179)
I didnít say it was Blade Runner. I said it was a mixture of things. I think this movie is a niche movie. I liked that world even though it could of been done better.

haha, I know you didn't say... I said it! Not that I judge every sci-fi movie to a Blade Runner-standard. ;)

You know a movie that really surprised me recently was "Us And Them"... it's on Netflix. Very touching. :nod:

Jondalar 02-18-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1249181)
haha, I know you didn't say... I said it! Not that I judge every sci-fi movie to a Blade Runner-standard. ;)

You know a movie that really surprised me recently was "Us And Them"... it's on Netflix. Very touching. :nod:

Hmm never even heard of that one

Jondalar 03-10-2019 08:21 PM

4. Captain Marvel, grade C = very disappointed in this movie, but I donít know why. I never really liked the trailers. The movie is just ok. Itís not terrible but itís not really good either. Itís slow to start and has pacing problems. There is something very off about Brie Larsonís performance. She doesnít feel comfortable in the role. Iíve come to the conclusion that she was just miscast. At the end of the movie, I still couldnít tell you what Captain Marvelís personality really is. Very odd. The supporting cast is better. Oh well still excited for End Game. This is not one Marvels best movies but itís not the worst. Toward the bottom though. She deserved better.

Jondalar 03-24-2019 04:02 AM

5. Captive State, grade D+ = Iím still confused over the plot of this movie. Itís a bad knockoff of Independence Day and V. Aliens take over the world and the movie is about the resistance, only there is not much action, the plot is confusing and the movie is boring. I was glad when it was over.

Jondalar 04-06-2019 10:35 AM

6. Shazam, grade A- = this is a well made superhero movie for a younger crowd. Think Harry Potter. Think Goosebumps. Those are what this movie reminded me of. I liked it for what it was but didnít know it was really for teenagers when I saw it. There are also big themes about family and diversity (of course). Itís a safe bet for a family movie.

Jondalar 04-07-2019 06:25 AM

7. Pet Sematary, grade C- = starts off ok with plenty of atmosphere but then descends into a B movie. Itís a remake of a very bad horror movie and is only slightly better. I will say that the acting is good and it does have some creepy moments but is not scary. The ending is pretty quick and lame.

Jondalar 04-07-2019 10:17 PM

8. US, grade B- = US isnít for everyone. Some people I know hated it, while others loved it. Iím in between. Itís a movie about cloning and conspiracy theories. Itís supposed to be a horror movie but I wouldnít call it scary. US is interesting and unique. There nothing quite like it. Itís lke a long episode of the the Twilight Zone. Itís well acted and I liked the cinematography but Iím not sure I want to sit through it again.

Jondalar 04-21-2019 04:14 PM

9. Curse of La Llorona, grade D+ = this movie sucks, itís full of jump scares and there is not enough history about the villain. Also, there is not enough build up or story. Itís part of the Conjuring universe but itís a bad entry. The only thing I really liked was the main actress. She has been in a lot of small roles and always does a good job.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved