The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mick Fleetwood on TV's moments from hell (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=12555)

AngelaM 12-15-2003 02:38 AM

Mick Fleetwood on TV's moments from hell

Hi,

Did any other British ledgies see that Mick Fleetwood's Brit award fiasco made No. 2 in the top 100 chart of 'TV moments from hell'? (He was beaten to the number one spot by Richard Madeley's impression of Ali G on This Morning) Poor Mick. It was funny though.:laugh:

Angela
x

AliP 12-15-2003 03:22 AM

Fill me in - What was his Brit awards fiasco?

Phil Lee 12-15-2003 05:17 AM

Mick Fleetwood was the co-presenter of the Brit Awards in 1988? along with a topless model/pop singer called Sam Fox. To start with Mick is 6' 6" and Sam Fox is about 5' 2" so they looked stupid side by side. The major problem was that they were both hopeless at presenting. Sam Fox isn't the brightest spark in the world so couldn't really handle the autocue. As for Mick, we all know he is dyslexic so having him read off an autocue is waiting for disaster to happen. From what I remember neither of them managed to get a single link right. To cap it all, there were severe problems with the autocue jamming so Mick and Sam had to ad-lib which made them both look really stupid.

Bumperke 12-15-2003 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If i remembered well, Samantha Fox, she got two big blue eyes, blond hair and a meassure less front. Seems to be not very clever (with her looks,.. ho gives a S**T). Fleetwood is a trained moneymachine, always looking for some profit. I mean he's oke, but when you don't know how to play the guitar,,... you will end up as a bad player. Mick knew exactly what he was doing. As smart as he is, don't confrontate yourself with your worst nightmare. So i guess that's bad luck for Fleetwood. On the other hand, looking dumb with Samantha always looks cute.
For all American people who doesn't know her, look at the picture i added,...
And is there a possibility that we could see it??

Will
Sorry i couldn't find a bigger pic on the internet

dissention 12-15-2003 11:16 AM

I have a video clip of that debacle and it's painful.

He should never even be invited to an awards show after that. :nod:

Gypsy-Rhiannon 12-15-2003 11:31 AM

I remember it well. It was awful!

Pip

DownOnRodeo 12-15-2003 06:32 PM

lol. After the 'Are we alive?' sampler from the AMAs, I could only imagine an entire show being run by Mick. :laugh: It would be ... interesting. :)

HomerMcvie 12-15-2003 07:11 PM

PLEASE post the clip somewhere!:laugh: :nod: :laugh:

macmar71 12-15-2003 07:26 PM

Thicke of the Night back in 1984, Mick looked so stoned and was very flat with host Alan Thicke. Billy, George and Steve (the guys from the Zoo) tried to make up for Mick's bizarre behavior.

AngelaM 12-16-2003 04:53 AM

It wasn't just the autocue

Phew. Just posted a long reply but it didn't get posted because of the transfer teething problems. So, here goes again...

There were also all kinds of technical problems on the show, which were not Mick or Sam Fox's fault, but with which they were unable to cope. My favourite was when they announced the Four Tops - and Boy George walked on stage! Apparently the Four Tops had managed to get themselves locked in their dressing room! All poor Mick could say at the sight of Boy George was 'ah'. I do remember him saying 'indeedy' a lot too, to cover his nerves and embarrassment.

I've just found this piece about it from an interview with Mick posted on Burnish.com:

Okay, it's the inevitable 'Brits fiasco with Samantha Fox' question. Discuss.

"It's amazing that that fiasco - and that's what it was - has endured. To me it's like, wow. Who cares? I don't know how to answer. It was definitely a fiasco, and I felt terrible at the time. It was so not Samantha Fox's - bless her little cotton socks - or my fault.

"That particular show was the first time they'd opened it up to the general public. They put 300 fans of some boy band [Bros] at the front. Consequently you couldn't hear anything on stage. They screamed the whole way through the damned thing. The whole production broke down and I was left floundering because they couldn't communicate. We were hung out to dry. They did at least take out an advert trying to explain it was not our fault. By then it was too late. We got screwed, and it was a nightmare. I couldn't wait to get out of the country. We looked like a couple of idiots up there. Such is life."

I do feel sorry for Mick - but it made for a classic TV moment.

Angela
x:laugh:

Bumperke 12-16-2003 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
I remember it well. It was awful!

Pip

Why, Pip.

He is doing it to itself, he's a grow'n man.

Will

coldplay 12-21-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phil Lee
Mick Fleetwood was the co-presenter of the Brit Awards in 1988? along with a topless model/pop singer called Sam Fox.
This is not to suggest that because she was a topless model that Samantha was brain dead. She did have a big hit with a song called 'Touch Me (I Want Your Body)' :)

Rochelle

DownOnRodeo 12-21-2003 10:03 PM

Re: It wasn't just the autocue

Quote:

Originally posted by AngelaM
Phew. Just posted a long reply but it didn't get posted because of the transfer teething problems. So, here goes again...

There were also all kinds of technical problems on the show, which were not Mick or Sam Fox's fault, but with which they were unable to cope. My favourite was when they announced the Four Tops - and Boy George walked on stage! Apparently the Four Tops had managed to get themselves locked in their dressing room! All poor Mick could say at the sight of Boy George was 'ah'. I do remember him saying 'indeedy' a lot too, to cover his nerves and embarrassment.

I've just found this piece about it from an interview with Mick posted on Burnish.com:

Okay, it's the inevitable 'Brits fiasco with Samantha Fox' question. Discuss.

"It's amazing that that fiasco - and that's what it was - has endured. To me it's like, wow. Who cares? I don't know how to answer. It was definitely a fiasco, and I felt terrible at the time. It was so not Samantha Fox's - bless her little cotton socks - or my fault.

"That particular show was the first time they'd opened it up to the general public. They put 300 fans of some boy band [Bros] at the front. Consequently you couldn't hear anything on stage. They screamed the whole way through the damned thing. The whole production broke down and I was left floundering because they couldn't communicate. We were hung out to dry. They did at least take out an advert trying to explain it was not our fault. By then it was too late. We got screwed, and it was a nightmare. I couldn't wait to get out of the country. We looked like a couple of idiots up there. Such is life."

I do feel sorry for Mick - but it made for a classic TV moment.

Angela thanks for that run-down. It would have been cringeworthily hilarious! 'Indeedly!'
And Mick just saying.. 'Ah.' when Boy George walked out instead. :laugh: Poor guy. When will they leanr - do not give that man a microphone! :distress: ;)

Janet 12-22-2003 12:46 AM

In all my years, I never heard of this!!! Samantha Fox didn't strike me as a stupid girl, she was the first Britney, older but she took teen pop into a slutty place in the late 80's and she was big with my age group ( I was about 10 when she was big)

But I would love to see that! I hope someday I do:)

My fav Mick moment is on MTV. Kirk Loder is speaking of the band and he goes to a clip of the 1988 band and Stevie and Mick look ready to kill, especially Mick. Im sure he was halfway to hell with drugs and it was really awkward. All Kurt could say was " what a happy group" or whatever.

DownOnRodeo 12-22-2003 12:50 AM

Re: Re: It wasn't just the autocue

Quote:

Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
When will they leanr - do not give that man a microphone! :distress: ;)
Just like they shouldn't let me near a keyboard. :rolleyes: