The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smile at You: New Edit (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57957)

Netter75 06-08-2018 01:05 AM

Smile at You: New Edit

Hi everyone! Not sure if anyone is interested/if this is the place to put this but here it is for anyone looking for a slightly different take on an old song.

I'm a big fan of Smile at You in all forms, but particularly the one from the Tusk sessions. I like how Stevie's in good vocal form and it starts feeling "fragile" before escalating into "angry" with the dueling vocals (depending on the take you're listening to).

The problem is it very much feels like an early outtake and more studio polish would be needed for it to reach its potential. The levels of the backing vocals on the choruses always bothered me a bit, and it doesn't feel like the song reaches the intensity that it should (like it does in the Mirage outtakes). After listening to the different versions I decided to take a crack at it.

Obviously I don't know anything about professional audio mixing and haven't attempted something like this before... but here's what I threw together:
1. Compiled using the various 1978 takes of "Smile at You" I found here on The Ledge. I did not slap them over each other and tried to add backing vocals where I thought they added to the effect and messed with their levels to varying degrees.
2. Added rain effect for the first 30 seconds and the last minute, with some thunder cracks in rhythm with the drums to add intensity. Can't decide whether this adds to the song or makes it super cheesy.
3. Added extra vocal samplings in various spots around the song, including some from Christine (though they're really light).
4. Messed with the EQ levels and erased the tape hiss.
5. Added reverb on the backing vocals to add to the witchy-ness.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pv629b...20Remix%29.mp3

Hope you enjoy! I'd love to hear what you think, good or bad :D.

DownOnRodeo 06-08-2018 03:00 AM

Can we play in the rain?

Nice work. :)

Perhaps the rain will solve her flaming walls problem.

HomerMcvie 06-08-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1230308)
Nice work. :)

Perhaps the rain will solve her flaming walls problem.

I always thought some Preparation H might be what she needs...

SisterNightroad 06-08-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1230310)
I always thought some Preparation H might be what she needs...

Actually that line always made me think more about antifungal medications.

HomerMcvie 06-08-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1230311)
Actually I've always thought more about antifungal medications.

Maybe that's what's made her so mean in recent years? Ain't nothing worse than constant cootchie itch.:wavey::laugh:

SisterNightroad 06-08-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1230312)
Ain't nothing worse than constant cootchie itch.:wavey::laugh:

I can't say what this makes me think about instead...

BombaySapphire3 06-08-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1230312)
Maybe that's what's made her so mean in recent years? Ain't nothing worse than constant cootchie itch.:wavey::laugh:

The once frequently visited oasis is now dry as a bone.

HomerMcvie 06-08-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1230318)

Ain't nobody wants to ride dat ride!:D

SisterNightroad 06-08-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1230319)
Ain't nobody wants to ride dat ride!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1230318)

You're getting older too...

jbrownsjr 06-08-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1230321)
You're getting older too...

You're just a kiss away, from where I don't know.

SisterNightroad 06-08-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1230322)

jwd 06-08-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1230322)

"just a kiss away" reminds me of this

SteveMacD 06-08-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1230327)
"just a kiss away" reminds me of this

Which again begs how awesome it would have been if they had gotten Mick Taylor instead of Dave Mason and had Bekka and Billy sing this.

vivfox 06-08-2018 09:57 PM

My old bootleg of that song ended when she yells, "go outside!" So it was nice to hear the proper ending I had never heard before. The thunder u added into the beginning of the song sounds good but near the end, at least on my speakers, it made the sound feel muffled or cloudy. Keep experimenting with adding and subtracting to demos and in time you will be a whiz. Thank you for sharing.

Netter75 06-09-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1230343)
My old bootleg of that song ended when she yells, "go outside!" So it was nice to hear the proper ending I had never heard before. The thunder u added into the beginning of the song sounds good but near the end, at least on my speakers, it made the sound feel muffled or cloudy. Keep experimenting with adding and subtracting to demos and in time you will be a whiz. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback :D! You're right, there's probably too much going on in the mix at once for the thunder to be as loud as it is and overpower everything else. I'll lower the levels so its more in keeping with the rhythm track.