The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Songbird (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14588)

Aisling 05-31-2004 03:33 PM

Songbird

does anyone know where i could find good sheet music for songbird? every version i've seen is like the beginner's guide to one handed piano playing. i'm just awful at transposing and too poor to buy one of those neato computer programs that will do it for me, so if someone out there knows where i can get a 'faithful' copy of this, please, i beg of you let me know! thanks :)
-ailish

David 05-31-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling
does anyone know where i could find good sheet music for songbird? every version i've seen is like the beginner's guide to one handed piano playing. i'm just awful at transposing and too poor to buy one of those neato computer programs that will do it for me, so if someone out there knows where i can get a 'faithful' copy of this, please, i beg of you let me know!

You want to look for a folio called Rumours: Off The Record published by International Music Publications (IMP) Ltd. in 1992, England. It's probably out of print, so you'll have to look for a used copy.

It contains the most authentic piano arrangement of Songbird ever published commercially. The arrangements published in the Warner Bros. books are worthless in terms of their authenticity to the original.

With some help from this folio, I now play Songbird essentially the way Christine does -- or did. I really recommend the IMP folio.

Aisling 05-31-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
You want to look for a folio called Rumours: Off The Record published by International Music Publications (IMP) Ltd. in 1992, England. It's probably out of print, so you'll have to look for a used copy.

It contains the most authentic piano arrangement of Songbird ever published commercially. The arrangements published in the Warner Bros. books are worthless in terms of their authenticity to the original.

With some help from this folio, I now play Songbird essentially the way Christine does -- or did. I really recommend the IMP folio.

thanks for the tip david. i guess now my search begins! :)

jbrownsjr 05-31-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David

David is her original arrangement more difficult to read or less difficult (if there is such a thing)

David 05-31-2004 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
David is her original arrangement more difficult to read or less difficult (if there is such a thing)

Compared with the stuff that publishing company grunts notate for the standard sheet music or songbook? I assume most piano players would consider it a smidge more difficult, although I guess it really depends on how facile you are with your sight-reading. I tend to sight-read really well so it's not such a problem. Christine's piano lines aren't terribly difficult to begin with, & certainly Songbird is standard Christine. Other parts of hers -- the acoustic piano on Don't Stop, the Rhodes on Oh Daddy & You Make Loving Fun -- aren't for beginners, but intermediate-level players who understand Christine's approach can pick it all up & build on it.

I hope you guys can find this folio. It has standard staff notation for all the instrumentation & vocals on Rumours, & most of the keyboard notation is really very close to what's on the album. (I have a few quibbles, including the clavinet transcription for You Make Loving Fun.) I can't speak as confidently for the other parts: guitars, bass, drums. But I think they're equally solid.

Gypsy-Rhiannon 06-01-2004 01:15 AM

Rumours off the Record:

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/033293/details.html

Pip

Aisling 06-02-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon

oh fantastic, thanks so much!

michelej1 07-13-2020 07:18 PM

I see many people posting Songbird today because of Naya Rivera. I am not necessarily a fan of the Glee version, but I am moved by the sentiment today.

Michele

aleuzzi 07-14-2020 11:26 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, Michelle. I missed it the first time around. But now I’m glad to have learned about RUMOURS OFF THE RECORD. Thanks, David for that tip. I just bought a used copy of it on eBay and can’t wait to play the transcriptions of Christine’s keyboard parts.

David 07-19-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1258815)
Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, Michelle. I missed it the first time around. But now I’m glad to have learned about RUMOURS OFF THE RECORD. Thanks, David for that tip. I just bought a used copy of it on eBay and can’t wait to play the transcriptions of Christine’s keyboard parts.

Tony, there is a very, very decent transcription by someone named David Saints-Gome here.

He uploaded his transcription notation here.

aleuzzi 07-20-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1258853)
Tony, there is a very, very decent transcription by someone named David Saints-Gome here.

He uploaded his transcription notation here.

Thanks. OFF THE RECORD arrived and I’ve been exploring some of the sections and parts. No surprises on either Oh Daddy or Songbird. Don’t Stop is a treat. You really see the momentum she’s building with the left hand.

HomerMcvie 07-20-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1258864)
Don’t Stop is a treat. You really see the momentum she’s building with the left hand.

Just like Get Like You Used To Be. It's amazing to me that she's playing most of that piano riff with her left hand! Damned Southpaws!

jbrownsjr 07-20-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258868)
Just like Get Like You Used To Be. It's amazing to me that she's playing most of that piano riff with her left hand! Damned Southpaws!

Yes, indeed. I remember trying it long ago and was in deep admiration of her lefty skills.

aleuzzi 07-20-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258868)

Yeah, for sure. In the Don’t Stop transcriptions, the right hand chords are often counterpointed (syncopated?) with the driving left hand. It’s pretty exciting stuff. The effect reminds of the barrelhouse piano in Jim Croce’s “Bad Bad Leroy Brown.”

HomerMcvie 07-20-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1258869)
Yes, indeed. I remember trying it long ago and was in deep admiration of her lefty skills.

Well, she's a Southpaw. I'm sure we righties can do things that she can't. I'm a real mastur with my right.