The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   more Fleetwood Mac - SYW or BuckVie rendition? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56972)

elle 03-19-2017 12:04 PM

more Fleetwood Mac - SYW or BuckVie rendition?

i thought Christine said something interesting in that Uncut interview from this week. she basically said that Say You Will incarnation of Fleetwood Mac was really not a Fleetwood Mac but more a glorified newer version of Buckingham Nicks.

here's the excerpt:

In retrospect, In the Meantime holds up surprisingly well, especially when compared to Fleetwood Mac’s more bombastic Say You Will, released the year before. It was the band’s first record in 36 years without McVie, and her love songs are greatly missed. “Even with John and Mick playing, it was like a glorified Buckingham Nicks album,” she says, referring to the duo’s pre-Mac release. “I think that element of me might have been missing, those love songs that are both intimate and commercial. So to be back in the band again is just magical.”

while i don't agree with her exactly, because i think Say You Will music, lyrics or singing are nothing like that old Buckingham Nicks album, i think she's definitely onto something when talking about the Fleetwood Mac musical style in the last 40 years.

regarding SYW [not] being like BN - i think Lindsey especially has grown as a songwriter and an overall artist by leaps and bounds since the BN time and his music and lyrics on SYW are so much better they can't even compare. plus BN were much more of a musical entity during BN time while they were two very separate artists by the time SYW came around.

WayOfTheDragon 03-19-2017 12:25 PM

I don't think she was comparing SYW to the Buckingham Nicks album from '73 or implying that there is a similar style between the two. She was just saying it was like "a" Buckingham Nicks album, because it was missing "that element" of what Christine brings to the band.

elle 03-19-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon (Post 1203873)
I don't think she was comparing SYW to the Buckingham Nicks album from '73 or implying that there is a similar style between the two. She was just saying it was like "a" Buckingham Nicks album, because it was missing "that element" of what Christine brings to the band.

yeah i think you are probably right, but i couldn't resist pointing out the differences just in case! :)

jbrownsjr 03-19-2017 01:14 PM

I think what Christine meant was; what a lot of us were saying here at the ledge. It's not cohesive as an album. And Christine's writing, singing and playing may have made that bridge that brings us back together... ;)

As far as comparing B/N to SYW...

B/N was a tight album. It's pristine and flows as an album. The harmonies are flawless.

Even though Linsdey sure did grow as a writer and even moreso as a player, this album is so much tighter than SYW.

SYW is all over the place. Stevie's voice is so nasal. I think if he would have edited it down as a whole it might have had that arc. It probably would have been a blockbuster double album w/ Christine McVie. Filling in the gaps and making it more of a story or a piece on it's own.

Otherwise, it will always be a rendition of themselves in fragments.

aleuzzi 03-19-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1203872)
i thought Christine said something interesting in that Uncut interview from this week. she basically said that Say You Will incarnation of Fleetwood Mac was really not a Fleetwood Mac but more a glorified newer version of Buckingham Nicks.

here's the excerpt:

In retrospect, In the Meantime holds up surprisingly well, especially when compared to Fleetwood Mac’s more bombastic Say You Will, released the year before. It was the band’s first record in 36 years without McVie, and her love songs are greatly missed. “Even with John and Mick playing, it was like a glorified Buckingham Nicks album,” she says, referring to the duo’s pre-Mac release. “I think that element of me might have been missing, those love songs that are both intimate and commercial. So to be back in the band again is just magical.”

while i don't agree with her exactly, because i think Say You Will music, lyrics or singing are nothing like that old Buckingham Nicks album, i think she's definitely onto something when talking about the Fleetwood Mac musical style in the last 40 years.

regarding SYW [not] being like BN - i think Lindsey especially has grown as a songwriter and an overall artist by leaps and bounds since the BN time and his music and lyrics on SYW are so much better they can't even compare. plus BN were much more of a musical entity during BN time while they were two very separate artists by the time SYW came around.

She said something very similar in her ITM interviews back in 2004.

jbrownsjr 03-19-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1203881)

Something about too much guitar. lol

aleuzzi 03-19-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1203882)
Something about too much guitar. lol

Ha! I remember that. That was in respect to something else, if I recall. She began to talk about how she hates guitar solos and mouthed out the do-do-do-do....She considered (and considers) herself a part player as opposed to a soloist.

SisterNightroad 03-19-2017 03:21 PM

I'm surprised by the fact that Christine seems to have some kind of unresolved feelings towards Say You Will.

bombaysaffires 03-19-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1203897)
I'm surprised by the fact that Christine seems to have some kind of unresolved feelings towards Say You Will.

It does have a bit of a tinge to it like when Lindsey left and always had to say "I found it interesting that they had to hire TWO guitarists to replace me" :eek:

We all have our egos, even our beloved Christine.

And she's not wrong, either.

SisterNightroad 03-19-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1203900)
It does have a bit of a tinge to it like when Lindsey left and always had to say "I found it interesting that they had to hire TWO guitarists to replace me" :eek:

Yes, it's just that I didn't expect it to be brought on now after all this time has passed.

jbrownsjr 03-19-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

She also flip flopped on In The Meantime. First, she had said negative things about it. Then later on, she had positive things to say about it.

It actually irked me. I love that album. I love Christine Perfect, too.

olive 03-19-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1203905)
She also flip flopped on In The Meantime. First, she had said negative things about it. Then later on, she had positive things to say about it.

It actually irked me. I love that album. I love Christine Perfect, too.

i am actually listening to it right now just finished Buckingham Nicks

elle 03-19-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1203881)

makes sense. i didn't follow anything that was not on mainstream radio at the time so this was new to me.
Quote:

in the meantime? hello?! it's all falling into place for me now - something that Christine's fans (and i'm sure the rest of the FM) were more than well aware at the time!
Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1203900)

yup!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1203904)
Yes, it's just that I didn't expect it to be brought on now after all this time has passed.

it makes a complete sense now. she and the rest of the band just [presumably] made a Fleetwood Mac album which is not coming out under Fleetwood Mac moniker. meanwhile the album that was definitely not FM but two songwriters pulling their fragmented stuff together because record company told them that way they can sell it better was called Fleetwood Mac. perfectly reasonable to point that out exactly at this time.

HomerMcvie 03-19-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1203910)

it makes a complete sense now. she and the rest of the band just [presumably] made a Fleetwood Mac album which is not coming out under Fleetwood Mac moniker. meanwhile the album that was definitely not FM but two songwriters pulling their fragmented stuff together because record company told them that way they can sell it better was called Fleetwood Mac. perfectly reasonable to point that out exactly at this time.

This pisses me off to no end. I'm sure old goat breath has the most powerful lawyers of them all. :mad:

michelej1 03-19-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1203872)

Yes, Christine said that back when Meantime came out, too. To which I thought she knows nothing about BN and should go home and varnish something.

Which is not to say she wasn't missed and I think FM consciously tried to fill the void with SYW (Christine is clearly why it was the single) and forcing SYHA and BTLH on us again.

Michele