The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   You and I (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58940)

BLY 05-15-2020 09:45 PM

You and I

This song in my opinion is one of Lindsey’s masterpieces. I always loved You and I pt 1 when I heard it for the first time as the b side to The Big Love single back in 1987. You and I pt 2 from the Tango album I liked but not a favorite. I always preferred pt 1. When I got the Tango box set and heard the entire song together how it was meant to be heard (IMO)I was blown away. I see this as one of his best pieces of music during the late eighties.

moon 05-16-2020 12:09 AM

I felt exactly the same!!!:blob1:
I liked Part II until I discovered Part I a few days after I bought Tango In The Night (of course I still like Part II haha). When I finally heard both parts together, I was simply really happy and impressed. That bridge of keyboards and guitar between both parts is simply amazing, gives an amazing sense to the union.
And You & I Part I is simply better than You & I Part II. Is just a masterpiece, as you say!!

FuzzyPlum 05-16-2020 03:18 AM

I think I must be in a significant minority. I personally can't see how anyone can say You and I Part I is better than You and I Part II. Its nice enough but really isn't strong enough to be a Fleetwood Mac album track. Certainly if it were reversed there'd have been many more people shouting for part II to have been included on the album instead. When I was a kid I loved part II but as I've gotten older I appreciate its nice but kind of lightweight. It makes a pretty good, upbeat album closer though.

Macfan4life 05-16-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1258083)
I think I must be in a significant minority. I personally can't see how anyone can say You and I Part I is better than You and I Part II. Its nice enough but really isn't strong enough to be a Fleetwood Mac album track. Certainly if it were reversed there'd have been many more people shouting for part II to have been included on the album instead. When I was a kid I loved part II but as I've gotten older I appreciate its nice but kind of lightweight. It makes a pretty good, upbeat album closer though.

Yeah I agree it definitely is light weight but a nice album closer. Its a pure Lindsey solo song.
IMHO Like 50% of Tango, its meh.

moon 05-16-2020 07:25 PM

It's maybe because of its "B-Side" quality and its own musical quality that the songs has some kind of...magic? Every B-Side is really special, but this song has its own history.
It's like Oh Well. When you know one of the two parts, you Need to hear the other one!

HomerMcvie 05-16-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258084)
Yeah I agree it definitely is light weight but a nice album closer. Its a pure Lindsey solo song.
IMHO Like 50% of Tango, its meh.

Agreed. Tango is a good album, but it's not Rumours or Tusk. It's too computer driven, and really has very little in common with any previous albums. Some good songs, but not all of them qualify as such.

It's been years since I've listened to it in it's entirety.

button-lip 05-16-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258088)
Agreed. Tango is a good album, but it's not Rumours or Tusk. It's too computer driven, and really has very little in common with any previous albums. Some good songs, but not all of them qualify as such.

It's been years since I've listened to it in it's entirety.

My biggest (and probably only) problem is When I see you Again. I'm even willing to give Welcome to the Room a pass. Well, 11 out of 12 is not bad.
I know it's not Rumours or Tusk, but that's what the 80's did to you. :laugh::laugh: :nod:
Love it more than Mirage but not as much as Tusk.

HomerMcvie 05-17-2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1258089)
My biggest (and probably only) problem is When I see you Again. I'm even willing to give Welcome to the Room a pass. Well, 11 out of 12 is not bad.
I know it's not Rumours or Tusk, but that's what the 80's did to you. :laugh::laugh: :nod:
Love it more than Mirage but not as much as Tusk.

Okay, we ALL agree that WISYA BLOWS GOATS. No, not that one.

What the 80's did to me? I grew up then(well, grew up is speculative). Can I go back?

I LOVE me some f*cking Mirage. It's the prequel to BuckVie. Fun, poppy stuff.

Tango is overrated. That is all. :xoxo:

jmn3 05-17-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258090)

Whatsamattababbbayyywhatsamattababbbbbyyyy!?!?

The doors in the hallway is ridiculous, and then of course Stevie’s most prolific lyric ever - “she stares at the stairs...there are many things to stare at these days.”

Nothing saves this song and I’m always shocked to hear some people love it. I find Stevie’s voice in this period to simply be horrible. That baby nasally crap she does is brutal.

cbBen 05-17-2020 07:45 AM

Her counter vocal part on "Little Lies" is fantastic. I have no issue with her vocal on "Seven Wonders" either.

FuzzyPlum 05-17-2020 08:45 AM

As others have noted, Lindsey's contributions to this song, i.e. the guitar parts and his vocal towards the end are really good. How he doesn't get a writers credit ....?!?!? :shrug:

mitzo 05-17-2020 08:55 AM

The album is spoiled by Family Man, You and I, and Caroline. The rest is all great stuff including WISYA which is beautiful.

button-lip 05-17-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1258095)

The doors in the hallway is ridiculous, and then of course Stevie’s most prolific lyric ever - “she stares at the stairs...there are many things to stare at these days.”

Nothing saves this song and I’m always shocked to hear some people love it. I find Stevie’s voice in this period to simply be horrible. That baby nasally crap she does is brutal.

Well, you know, some people like it….. nasally???? :laugh::laugh:

BLY 05-17-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1258077)
This song in my opinion is one of Lindsey’s masterpieces. I always loved You and I pt 1 when I heard it for the first time as the b side to The Big Love single back in 1987. You and I pt 2 from the Tango album I liked but not a favorite. I always preferred pt 1. When I got the Tango box set and heard the entire song together how it was meant to be heard (IMO)I was blown away. I see this as one of his best pieces of music during the late eighties.

I just love how posts on The Ledge always gets derailed.😎 I do appreciate the comments about the one track I was posting about. You, you, you and I.😎

Macfan4life 05-17-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1258095)

I agree its not very good. Check out Rolling Stone's review of Tango in 1987. They mock the song and those exact lyrics. Like ok Stevie we get it Whatsamatta baby, baby, baby whatsamatta baby baby B A B Y

I would LOVE to ask Lindsey about this song. We know Seven Wonders was recorded prior to rehab and Welcome to the Room after rehab. Where does this song fit? Her voice sounds prior to rehab. There is speculation that her voice is just from the demo she mailed the band while on the RAL tour. Its possible it needed something to at least make it a better song and Lindsey added his ending.
The flip side is Stevie states in the interview on the RAL tour that she mailed the band a duet kind of song. So Stevie may have had the intention of some interaction with Lindsey in the song.
If I could have 3 wishes from a genie, one would be to spend an afternoon with Lindsey asking him all these detailed questions LOL
I was FLOORED a few years ago to find out its not Stevie on Family Man. It was just my natural assumption but if you listen close you can tell its Lindsey and his voice machine that he used throughout the album just like the grunts on Big Love.

secondhandchain 05-17-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1258096)
Her counter vocal part on "Little Lies" is fantastic. I have no issue with her vocal on "Seven Wonders" either.

Her Seven Wonders vocal is cringeworthy. HORRIBLE.

Also You and I part 2 is GENIUS.

Macfan4life 05-18-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258090)

What the 80's did to me? I grew up then(well, grew up is speculative). Can I go back?

I LOVE me some f*cking Mirage. It's the prequel to BuckVie. Fun, poppy stuff.

Tango is overrated. That is all. :xoxo:

OMG You cant even compare Mirage and Tango

Mirage while pop has intricate playing and real instruments throughout. The music is really good played by real people
Tango is mostly an empty shell of computer programming and slick tricky stuff. Not very many tracks where you say....WOW the music is so good. There are a few signs of life like Isnt It Midnight and Tango In The Night and Little Lies but not much more.
Some of the songs are so damn cheezy on Tango like Big Love. The lyrics to Big Love are so cheezy. I remember taking my friend from Argentina to the On With The Show concert. While very impressed with Lindsey's playing during Big Love, he was shocked that the lyrics could be so cheezy. On Mirage, Mick is banging the drums, John is pounding away, Christine is playing keyboards and piano and Stevie's voice is probably at its prime. Tango is a hot mess of a full Lindsey solo album with guest appearances by Christine and Stevie. John gets one classic bass track (Isnt it Midnight). John and Christine's lack of playing on Tango just was too much for me.

jbrownsjr 05-18-2020 08:39 AM

I love both You and I (Part I and II). I remember being so surprised by the BuckVie collaborations. I liked some of the demos floating out there. There's Christine singing it solo, then Lindsey singing it. (Part II)

BuckVie collaborations are my favorite. I think that's where a lot of the magic comes from. Plus, the rhythm section. Christine and Lindsey have such a weird connection.

FuzzyPlum 05-18-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258107)

Mirage while pop has intricate playing and real instruments throughout. The music is really good played by real people
Tango is mostly an empty shell of computer programming and slick tricky stuff. Not very many tracks where you say....WOW the music is so good. There are a few signs of life like Isnt It Midnight and Tango In The Night and Little Lies but not much more.
Some of the songs are so damn cheezy on Tango like Big Love. The lyrics to Big Love are so cheezy. I remember taking my friend from Argentina to the On With The Show concert. While very impressed with Lindsey's playing during Big Love, he was shocked that the lyrics could be so cheezy. On Mirage, Mick is banging the drums, John is pounding away, Christine is playing keyboards and piano and Stevie's voice is probably at its prime. Tango is a hot mess of a full Lindsey solo album with guest appearances by Christine and Stevie. John gets one classic bass track (Isnt it Midnight). John and Christine's lack of playing on Tango just was too much for me.

I'd say it's each to their own.
I could confidently, comfortably and happily play Tango in the Night to anyone unfamiliar with the band. In fact, I'm sure I have done, plenty of times.
Unfortunately I'd be quite embarrassed by some of the Mirage material though. The sound of Oh Diane, Empire State, Love in Store, Book of Love...
I personally love it for what it is, but it sounds very, very old.
Perhaps not the lyrics, but the production sensibilities are very cheesy in my opinion and moved the band firmly away from rock towards pop music.

Macfan4life 05-18-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1258114)
I'd say it's each to their own.
I could confidently, comfortably and happily play Tango in the Night to anyone unfamiliar with the band. In fact, I'm sure I have done, plenty of times.
Unfortunately I'd be quite embarrassed by some of the Mirage material though. The sound of Oh Diane, Empire State, Love in Store, Book of Love...
I personally love it for what it is, but it sounds very, very old.
Perhaps not the lyrics, but the production sensibilities are very cheesy in my opinion and moved the band firmly away from rock towards pop music.

Of course everyone has different likes and dislikes. There are so many Stevie fans who say RAL is their favorite album. I just cant get my head around that but to each their own.
When you have a fantastic bass player, brilliant drummer and keyboardist its silly or insulting to use programmed bass or other computer stuff. What is funny is Lindsey took it to the next level and even used computer trickery on voices.
Mirage is a soft rock pop album with some brilliant songs (Lindsey will have quirky songs on every album)
Tango is a piece of synth 80s pop with a simpler sound than Mirage. To compare songs like Only Over You with Lindsey's guitar, Christine's singing, keyboard playing and those harmonies to anything on Tango is a bridge to far for me. Forget eras. Any song lyrically, musically, and vocally is vastly better on Mirage.
Mirage still had Fleetwood Mac sound. Tango had very little of that which confuses me when Mac fans put it near the top of their favorite album. Behind the Mask sounds much more like Fleetwood Mac because for the first time since Mirage the rhythm section got to hum again. Not to mention the best harmonies of any Mac record: Love in Store, Straight Back, Gypsy, etc. Tango had a few Lindsey/McVie harmonies but so much trickery its hard to tell.

Macfan4life 05-19-2020 05:19 AM

Come on now
THIS is the best version by far ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO43bFX1FmA

jbrownsjr 05-19-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258135)
Come on now

He should wake up with his mouth shut tight.

FuzzyPlum 05-19-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Come on now

W...T...F...? A night with a horse?
I can't unhear this.

jmn3 05-19-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Come on now

Just another gift for us from the year 2020... :shocked:

Macfan4life 05-19-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1258139)
W...T...F...? A night with a horse?
I can't unhear this.

Cocaine is one helluva drug

Sounds like Mick having fun just after the deal went down in Lindsey's driveway

:eek:

BTW, I think he means a Knight with a horse
Far far away of course
Dancing

Macfan4life 05-19-2020 03:10 PM

Now Christine takes the lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35rYCDrkccE

FuzzyPlum 05-19-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258143)

and this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qLgSi-frc

Where are these being pulled from?
Is this your Youtube channel?

These are so cool. They should have found space for more of this sort of stuff on the deluxe album.

Macfan4life 05-19-2020 05:36 PM

At least we see how the band was working while Stevie was on her RAL tour.
Not really a fan of this song but each one taking a stab at it is cool

BLY 05-19-2020 07:53 PM

I wish Lindsey would of somehow incorporated Christine’s lead vocals on the final track(Parts 1&2) full song.

jbrownsjr 05-20-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258143)

I've always loved this version. I do love the final version better.

ViscountViktor 05-20-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1258098)
The album is spoiled by Family Man, You and I, and Caroline. The rest is all great stuff including WISYA which is beautiful.

This is... a take....

When I See You Again has to be one of the worst songs to ever grace a Fleetwood Mac album.

To address the OP, I love You and I Parts 1 & II. They have a very magical quality to them.

ViscountViktor 05-20-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258107)

Stevie is on 4 tracks of Mirage, same as Tango. She may have been in her prime but we hardly heard her.

mitzo 05-21-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscountViktor (Post 1258165)
This is... a take....

When I See You Again has to be one of the worst songs to ever grace a Fleetwood Mac album.

To address the OP, I love You and I Parts 1 & II. They have a very magical quality to them.

I like songs that are different with some mystery and unpedestrian. WISYA is odd and rather haunting.

The You and I's? What on earth is even a trace of magical there?

tabruns 05-21-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscountViktor (Post 1258166)
Stevie is on 4 tracks of Mirage, same as Tango. She may have been in her prime but we hardly heard her.

Hmm, to my ears it sounds like Nicks was on more of the songs on MIRAGE than on the TANGO IN THE NIGHT songs. I remember listening to the TANGO album straight through when I first got it, and I thought "wow you really can't hear Nicks on this record at all". I didn't have that reaction to MIRAGE.

cbBen 05-22-2020 01:53 PM

From what I understand, on each album she's on her own three songs, plus one other ("Love In Store," "Little Lies").

ViscountViktor 05-25-2020 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1258181)
From what I understand, on each album she's on her own three songs, plus one other ("Love In Store," "Little Lies").

Always Christine songs of course, never Lindsey

tabruns 05-26-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscountViktor (Post 1258200)
Always Christine songs of course, never Lindsey

I think this was only true of MIRAGE and TANGO. She's on his songs on MAC, RUMOURS, TUSK, and SAY YOU WILL.

sasja 05-27-2020 12:47 AM

YOU and I, both parts, are fantastic songs. Love them both!:woohoo::woohoo:

jbrownsjr 05-27-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasja (Post 1258233)
YOU and I, both parts, are fantastic songs. Love them both!:woohoo::woohoo:

I love listening to them together on the Deluxe Tango. They flow really well.

aleuzzi 05-27-2020 04:41 PM

Both You and I parts are good—really good. But I’ve heard Christine’s lead vocals on a part II demo and think THAT is the version that should have been chosen.