The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Straight Back SS (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58850)

BLY 02-02-2020 07:18 PM

Straight Back SS

So...I finally updated my 5.1 stereo system today. The first track I listened to was Straight Back from Mirage. OMG! I love these discs. I so wish there was some pre Buck/Nicks albums released on the 5.1 surround sound format. It takes these masterpiece albums to a higher level.

Macfan4life 02-02-2020 08:03 PM

Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.

BLY 02-02-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1256164)
Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.

Yes..yes..yes...

jbrownsjr 02-05-2020 07:56 AM

If there was ever a McVie/Nicks collaboration, this was it.

cbBen 02-05-2020 02:02 PM

I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.

BLY 02-05-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1256194)
I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.

I hear mostly Stevie on all harmony vocals with Christine on the SS version.

cbBen 02-05-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1256201)
I hear mostly Stevie on all harmony vocals with Christine on the SS version.

Thanks. What is SS?

BLY 02-05-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1256202)
Thanks. What is SS?

The 5.1 Surround Sound version.

desertangel 02-06-2020 01:09 AM

I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.:shrug:

BLY 02-06-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertangel (Post 1256205)
I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.:shrug:

White album, Tusk and Mirage versions were released with the box set collection.

desertangel 02-08-2020 06:36 PM

Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.

HomerMcvie 02-08-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertangel (Post 1256247)
Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.

Well, I think these packagings are Rhino's specialty. I doubt they would see the light of day without Rhino producing them.

desertangel 02-08-2020 08:16 PM

I guess I could be a bit more specific... I scooped up How the West Was Won and Pet Sounds in DVD-a from Best Buy when they were in the blow out bin years ago. After having bought Rumours and SYW in the same format, I had enough material to compare sonic qualities. My #1 is Rumours just due to isolation of tracks amongst the collection of speakers. #2 SYW only because thereÂ’s not as much separation. Pet Sounds #3 due to not much separation at all and #4 Led Zep due to no separation. 3 and 4 were engineered by label staff from what I can tell. Obviously I enjoy hearing multi- track separation, the more the better. I have amassed quite a collection of various recordings of Mac material over the years, much of which hasnÂ’t seen the light of day in a long time. I have vowed not to spend any more hard earned money on these recordings unless I can be assured they will be pleasing to my particular taste. The last I bought were the Nicks remasters, BD and WH... which while not 5.1, still a bit underwhelming to me... thatÂ’s when I took the vow.

If these Rhino Mac 5.1s have killer multi-track separation amongst many 5.1 speakers, then I would buy. Wonder if they have any demo cut down discs up for grabs.

HomerMcvie 02-08-2020 08:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have Rumours 5.1, and I never thought there was that much separation of tracks. Maybe I didn't have my receiver set right? I've not listened to it for years, but I might give it another go tomorrow.

When they repackaged White, Rumours, and Tusk in 2003, I swore off purchasing them ever again. And I haven't. I've probably bought a dozen different Rumours in my life. That's enough for me.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256251)
Thanks for clearing that up.

That's enough for me.

You always walk a thin line when you say you're never going back again.

desertangel 02-08-2020 10:51 PM

At least thatÂ’s not all for everyone.:shrug:

I have noticed that my old 2003 Panasonic 5.1 home theater system did a much better job at separation than my newer Denon. I had to EQ the speakers individually with a microphone on the Denon. Some set up, but the separation is very subtle in comparison, likely designed that way. I use Silver Springs and GDW as the canary. I nearly wept the first time I heard Silver Springs on the Panasonic. Remember the first 4.1s would push to the rear speakers only occasionally? The Panasonic was a step or two better than that. Should have kept it for the music room. The Panasonic had its own disc player, for the Denon, I had to buy one separately and I just got the Best Buy BluRay Insignia brand. Not sure how much that factors into playback. Anyway, yes, I believe the system will alter your individual listening experience.

HomerMcvie 02-09-2020 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256252)
You always walk a thin line when you say you're never going back again.

Lindsey's firing after the WONDERFUL BuckVie was my Never Going Back Again moment.

I live in their past.

Just like they do now.

aleuzzi 02-09-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256255)
Lindsey's firing after the WONDERFUL BuckVie was my Never Going Back Again moment.

I live in their past.

Just like they do now.

Yes. Any new music bearing the FM name sans Lindsey will likely be a disappointment, too. But then that ain’t happening, so no need to worry.

I hold out hope for more LB solo albums and for another studio Christine project. That’s basically it.

Macfan4life 02-09-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256255)

I live in their past.

Just like they do now.

Its just the ghost of the past that you live in
:)

HomerMcvie 02-09-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1256256)
Yes. Any new music bearing the FM name sans Lindsey will likely be a disappointment, too. But then that ain’t happening, so no need to worry.

I hold out hope for more LB solo albums and for another studio Christine project. That’s basically it.

Prediction - Lindsey will be the only one with any new music for the rest of their lives.

I think Christine WOULD, but I think she's just simply too old now. I hope I'm wrong...

jbrownsjr 02-09-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1256257)
Its just the ghost of the past that you live in
:)

So we look to our Guardian Homer! :laugh:

Lindsey can't stop making new music. The rest of them worry about putting in the work and $$.

aleuzzi 02-10-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256258)
Prediction - Lindsey will be the only one with any new music for the rest of their lives.

I think Christine WOULD, but I think she's just simply too old now. I hope I'm wrong...

I have a sneaking feeling we haven't heard the last of Christine. And let's face it: she'll write about love and sex as if she's a teenager until she's 90.

jbrownsjr 02-10-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1256269)
I have a sneaking feeling we haven't heard the last of Christine. And let's face it: she'll write about love and sex as if she's a teenager until she's 90.

Let's just play around!

HomerMcvie 02-10-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256270)
Let's just play around!

Slip your hand inside my glove.:lol:

jbrownsjr 02-10-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1256273)
Slip your hand inside my glove.:lol:

I touched you, but you were not alone...

(as usual) :laugh:

BLY 03-01-2020 02:25 PM

Bump........

I just listened to Tusk and Mirage again on SS. It’s just amazing all the vocals and instrumentals that you don’t hear on the released recordings.

BLY 03-01-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1256661)
I just listened to Tusk and Mirage again on SS. It’s just amazing all the vocals and instrumentals that you don’t hear on the released recordings.

I’m now listening to the Fleetwood Mac disc. The standouts to me are Crystal, Landslide and Sugar Daddy.....Wow...an added Stevie vocal on Sugar Daddy.

tabruns 05-09-2020 01:27 AM

"Straight Back" is a great Nicks song in the vein of the "witchy" ones. Buckingham does a phenomenal job with the production here, just amazing. I think the CD version is better than the original vinyl.

The only thing I dislike at all is the song title, it just seems a little plain given the music and spooky vibe of it.