The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lindsey and Christine then and now (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58490)

secret love 12-30-2018 02:00 PM

Lindsey and Christine then and now

If Christine died or was sick, Lindsey would automatically be asked to rejoin Fleetwood Mac...? Discuss.

cbBen 12-31-2018 12:27 AM

Or they'd close up shop.

Conga 12-31-2018 01:18 AM

Bit of a horrible thought atm. But I don't know, I doubt it.

HomerMcvie 12-31-2018 02:21 AM

Christine IS now frail.

Surely to god they wouldn't go on without Lindsey OR Christine.

I mean, Mick would, because he's a sleazy whore, but would they really call The Old Goat Breath Show, Fleetwood Mac?

jmn3 12-31-2018 06:55 AM

Pretty dark topic but I have to think Fleetwood Mac as a brand would suffer considerably without Christine and Lindsey. Only having one Fleetwood Mac singer and a bunch of other guys covering the rest of the set probably wouldn't work.

That said, I can't say Mick nor Stevie wouldn't think about it or give it a whirl...er..twirl.

vivfox 12-31-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1247132)
I mean, Mick would, because he's a sleazy whore

You never fail to make me laugh:laugh:

HomerMcvie 12-31-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1247153)
You never fail to make me laugh:laugh:

:laugh: Thanks. I'm brutally honest!

No one has argued the point, either! :wavey:

secondhandchain 12-31-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1247132)
Christine IS now frail.

Surely to god they wouldn't go on without Lindsey OR Christine.

I mean, Mick would, because he's a sleazy whore, but would they really call The Old Goat Breath Show, Fleetwood Mac?

If Goat breath were to kick the bucket M$ck the money whore would probably stuff the goat and do a "Weekend at Stevies" tour.

HomerMcvie 12-31-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1247166)
If Goat breath were to kick the bucket M$ck the money whore would probably stuff the goat and do a "Weekend at Stevies" tour.

Preach!

I wouldn't put anything past that old sleazebag. He'd sell his dead Momma's panties for a nickel.

You know, I'd pay up see THAT tour! :lol::wavey:

vivfox 12-31-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1247155)
No one has argued the point either! :wavey:

That's true. Mick has no defenders. We all collectively laugh at him. And could you imagine the multiple bankruptcies? That alone is extremely pathetic.:laugh:

secret love 01-01-2019 02:54 AM

For all his faults (can't manage bands or money, lies through his teeth, can't play more than one instrument, is a terrible songwriter credited to the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever "These Strange Times"), Mick is a great orator and a wonderful showman.

SteveMacD 01-01-2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1247183)
For all his faults (can't manage bands or money, lies through his teeth, can't play more than one instrument, is a terrible songwriter credited to the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever "These Strange Times"), Mick is a great orator and a wonderful showman.

Hell, “These Strange Times” isn’t even the worst song on “Time.” It’s curious that you bring this up right after saying he can’t play more than one instrument, since he played lead guitar on it.

Say what you want, but Mick held the band together and became their biggest cheerleaders. They made Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk when he was the manager. He may have been bad with money, but he certainly sought situations that fostered creativity without influence from the industry.

BombaySapphire3 01-01-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1247183)
Mick is a great orator and a wonderful showman.

He has family members who are Shakespearean actors..he may have missed his calling.

HomerMcvie 01-01-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1247192)
He has family members who are Shakespearean actors..he may have missed his calling.

I heard that Summer's Eve is looking for a new spokesman.

SteveMacD 01-01-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1247100)
If Christine died or was sick, Lindsey would automatically be asked to rejoin Fleetwood Mac...? Discuss.

No. I think Lindsey’s time in Fleetwood Mac is up.

If/when something happens to Christine, Fleetwood Mac will either disband or continue on with the surviving members, with Neil splitting between rhythm guitar and keyboards.

jbrownsjr 01-01-2019 04:31 PM

Is this a bad time to bring up that I like These Strange Times? :shrug:

button-lip 01-01-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1247100)

I think she will leave the band before dying or being sick. She's dissapointed at Stevie, so she can't be having a good time. She will fulfill her contract and then say goodbye. :wavey::wavey:

HomerMcvie 01-01-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1247206)
I think she will leave the band before dying or being sick. She's dissapointed at Stevie, so she can't be having a good time. She will fulfill her contract and then say goodbye. :wavey::wavey:

god I hope she leaves the band after this tour. Then it can officially be The Old Goat Breath Revue.

elle 01-01-2019 07:13 PM

i sure hope Christine leaves that sad useless Nicks-propping nostalgia boat and spends the time she still has creatively - she definitely still seems interested and has stuff to say!

so yeah maybe in 2020 when LB has his new album out and is done with his 2 different tours slated for 2019, and whatever touring current FM cover band version has still on the books should be all outta the way, maybe Chris and Linds will get together for a month and bang out another album as they did in 2014 and tour it. they certainly seem to work together seamlessly and their onstage fun together is contagious. :nod: :woohoo:

as for what happens with whatever version of the dinosaur nostalgia cover band will have at the time, nobody will care as most people don't even care now.

fun fact / dark humor but not unexpected - a fellow FM fan had this convo yesterday in a store:
Me: wearing a Fleetwood Mac shirt at Home Depot.
Cashier: "Sad that Lindsey Buckingham died"
Me: #*%^&($@@:&((&^%=#!!&**>_/#@@!!!!!

BLY 01-01-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1247206)

Yes, I I think this will be the end of the MAC after this tour. It is a shame this will be the way it will end without Lindsey. Stevie still sounds good and Christine has had her moments on this tour but without Buckingham there is no energy.

nicepace 01-02-2019 09:58 AM

I actually like "These Strange Times." But then again, I even like that weird poem thing at the end of 'Bare Trees.'

This thread makes me feel a great sadness that it took Christine 16 years to get over her fear of flying and rejoin the band.

louielouie2000 01-02-2019 10:33 AM

I also can’t imagine Christine touring with FM again in its current incarnation. But I also feel this current version of FM will not last beyond this tour. I still feel like this isn’t the end of FM, though... I just don’t think any of them can be okay with going out on such an unfortunate note.

button-lip 01-02-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1247217)
I also can’t imagine Christine touring with FM again in its current incarnation. But I also feel this current version of FM will not last beyond this tour. I still feel like this isn’t the end of FM, though... I just don’t think any of them can be okay with going out on such an unfortunate note.

Agree to all of this. They needed 6 months to wrap up a second MSG when Queen without Freddie Mercury did it in just 1 week of ticket sales. That's not good for a bank like FM. I don't see the European tour going beyond current dates. And there's only one reason for that: lack of enthusiam from fans all around the world.

They may be ok with Neil and Mick but I don't think any of them (not even Stevie) wants to end their FM days without Lindsey. :shrug:

SteveMacD 01-02-2019 09:47 PM

I think there’s a lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

button-lip 01-02-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1247200)
Is this a bad time to bring up that I like These Strange Times? :shrug:

Christine is the best thing that happened to Time. Same with Behind the Mask. No wonder Lindsey wanted to make an album with her. Oh, wait, in fact he tried first with the whole band.

I guess we got lucky $tevie said 'no, no, no!!' :D

SteveMacD 01-02-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1247267)
Christine is the best thing that happened to Time. Same with Behind the Mask.

She’s the best thing to happen to Fleetwood Mac in general.

luminol 01-03-2019 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1247266)

Sadly, I agree. I want to believe in happier possibilities in the future but in reality, it's just wishful thinking to help ease the pain and frustration of the current situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1247268)
She’s the best thing to happen to Fleetwood Mac in general.

As much as my knee jerk reaction is to argue this point in favor of LB, I can't. You're 100% right. Without Christine, this band sank in the early '70s.

jbrownsjr 01-03-2019 08:57 AM

Christine McVie is Fleetwood Mac. She's even on the early material before she was an official member. Her keyboard playing and singing can't be duplicated. She's truly original. I watched her last month at the Forum remain a force in the band even as aged as she is. She made it work.

Of course, she was Christine Perfect at the time of the early days. And, she's never been the band leader, nor has she wanted it. But, I respect what she's done for this band more than any other member.

She's actually on SYW, too. I wish they would have let her on SYW as a writer. It would have been a great double album. There's a lot of crap on SYW that could have been balanced edited, deleted or balanced out.

cbBen 01-03-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1247265)
not good for a bank like FM

Apropos typo.

louielouie2000 01-03-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1247266)

Quote:

Originally Posted by luminol (Post 1247269)
Sadly, I agree. I want to believe in happier possibilities in the future but in reality, it's just wishful thinking to help ease the pain and frustration of the current situation.

In the 90s, a reunion of the Rumours band seemed an impossibility. Then after Christine left and became a hermit, her return seemed even more improbable. Which is exactly why I think Lindsey’s return is possible. Stevie made the ultimate power move and won. She’s now also the first woman to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice. She’s finally gotten the respect from the band and the industry. I can see Stevie inviting Lindsey back now that she’s made her point, with certain concessions of course. No more demands for a new album, etc.

I can also see Chris putting her foot down about Lindsey returning, too. His whole ouster was planned & executed behind her back. Chris had to of been p!ssed. I suspect she was already contractually obligated to the tour, or she might have shut down this whole cover band embarrassment. If Chris were to walk away from the band after this tour, FM would be over. And that most certainly wouldn’t be in any of their interests.

cbBen 01-03-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1247285)
I suspect she was already contractually obligated to the tour, or she might have shut down this whole cover band embarrassment. If Chris were to walk away from the band after this tour, FM would be over. And that most certainly wouldn’t be in any of their interests.

Either Stevie had so had it with Lindsey that she was prepared for this to be the last tour, or she didn't think ahead. I suspect the former.

Lindsey leveraged Christine's return to do what he had long wanted to do but couldn't: make an album with FM (or as much of it as he could get in the studio door).

Stevie likely did the same, but in her case the thing she had long wanted to do was get Lindsey out of the band.

SteveMacD 01-03-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

I can also see Chris putting her foot down about Lindsey returning, too. His whole ouster was planned & executed behind her back. Chris had to of been p!ssed. I suspect she was already contractually obligated to the tour, or she might have shut down this whole cover band embarrassment. If Chris were to walk away from the band after this tour, FM would be over. And that most certainly wouldn’t be in any of their interests.

OR, Christine could be enjoying the new lineup and tour and wants it to continue. I have zero doubt that she didn’t see the humor in what they did or that she misses Lindsey, but that doesn’t equate to not wanting to continue with the current situation.

lovethemac1 01-03-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1247291)
OR, Christine could be enjoying the new lineup and tour and wants it to continue. I have zero doubt that she didn’t see the humor in what they did or that she misses Lindsey, but that doesn’t equate to not wanting to continue with the current situation.

I think she's too saavy and experienced in the industry to not know what the skuttle butt is out there on this whole debacle. She seems too professional to agree with what happened. And I think the legacy means more to her now than it did in 1998, and she feels it's important. (just MHO)

button-lip 01-03-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

In the 90s, a reunion of the Rumours band seemed an impossibility. Then after Christine left and became a hermit, her return seemed even more improbable. Which is exactly why I think Lindsey’s return is possible. Stevie made the ultimate power move and won. She’s now also the first woman to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice. She’s finally gotten the respect from the band and the industry. I can see Stevie inviting Lindsey back now that she’s made her point, with certain concessions of course. No more demands for a new album, etc.

After what she did, I think she lost Lindsey's respect. And in addition, his whole family's (and I'm not talking about his wife and kids. I'm talking about the family that welcomed her into their house when she was a teenager).

I also don't think Lindsey will ask anything of her, IF he ever comes back. I think he lost all kind of enthusiasm in working with these people again. And what's the point of coming back if he has to do what she wants?

He's probably more interested in working with Christine (and only Christine) again. He said it many times in his M&G.

Quote:

She said to Lindsey that she was very dissapointed at Stevie.

elle 01-03-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

She’s finally gotten the respect from the band and the industry. I can see Stevie inviting Lindsey back now that she’s made her point, with certain concessions of course. No more demands for a new album, etc.

wow, you cannot be serious! she has less respect from the band now than she ever had. she made a power move and they had to eat it, for money, contracts, or whatever. that does not get you respect from your peers, when they watch you screw over one of you. it may get you fear that you are next maybe. power move like that gains you fear, but not respect.

and seriously? the only way Lindsey comes back is if Stevie grovels. NOT if Stevie makes demands of him. his whole lawsuit was about getting out the facts, and if you think he'd come back with his tail between legs you haven't been paying attention last year. and now you think he'd after what happened last year go back to appeasing Stevie - something that mostly got him a colossal waste of time for the last 20 years and ultimately ouster from the band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1247291)

:lol: now i'm completely sure Steve handed over his social media accounts to Karen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1247295)
He's probably more interested in working with Christine (and only Christine) again. He said it many times in his M&G.

She said to Lindsey that she was very dissapointed at Stevie.

yeah pretty sure he would like to work with her again. hope they get some time to do that.

louielouie2000 01-04-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1247296)
wow, you cannot be serious! she has less respect from the band now than she ever had. she made a power move and they had to eat it, for money, contracts, or whatever. that does not get you respect from your peers, when they watch you screw over one of you. it may get you fear that you are next maybe. power move like that gains you fear, but not respect.

and seriously? the only way Lindsey comes back is if Stevie grovels. NOT if Stevie makes demands of him. his whole lawsuit was about getting out the facts, and if you think he'd come back with his tail between legs you haven't been paying attention last year. and now you think he'd after what happened last year go back to appeasing Stevie - something that mostly got him a colossal waste of time for the last 20 years and ultimately ouster from the band.

:lol: now i'm completely sure Steve handed over his social media accounts to Karen.

yeah pretty sure he would like to work with her again. hope they get some time to do that.

When I say Stevie has finally garnered respect from the band, I don’t mean respect as a singer, songwriter, performer, or even as a person. I mean that they must suddenly respect her power. For decades Stevie was critically dismissed by both the music industry as well as her very own bandmates. No more. Fleetwood Mac was once run by Mick... then for many years it became a sort of democracy. Now, it’s a dictatorship ruled entirely by Stevie. Quite a coup for Stevie, as she rode in on Lindsey’s coattails... and has now fired him, and has the rest of the band at her complete mercy.

Regarding the band having to grovel to Lindsey to get him to return, maybe if this was 25 years ago. The interviews he’s done this past year have only impressed upon me how willing he would be to return to the band, and how much the band’s legacy means to him, and how he feels it’s important to wrap up the name Fleetwood Mac with a more dignified ending. He seems quite wistful, despite the childishly degrading way he was shown the door. And it’s not like the band has a long future before it, anyway. I think Lindsey knows it has one, maybe two additional tours left in it... and that he could put aside his creative disagreements long enough to close out the band in a respectful way.

HomerMcvie 01-04-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1247299)
When I say Stevie has finally garnered respect from the band, I don’t mean respect as a singer, songwriter, performer, or even as a person. I mean that they must suddenly respect her power. For decades Stevie was critically dismissed by both the music industry as well as her very own bandmates. No more. Fleetwood Mac was once run by Mick... then for many years it became a sort of democracy. Now, it’s a dictatorship ruled entirely by Stevie. Quite a coup for Stevie, as she rode in on Lindsey’s coattails... and has now fired him, and has the rest of the band at her complete mercy.

Regarding the band having to grovel to Lindsey to get him to return, maybe if this was 25 years ago. The interviews he’s done this past year have only impressed upon me how willing he would be to return to the band, and how much the band’s legacy means to him, and how he feels it’s important to wrap up the name Fleetwood Mac with a more dignified ending. He seems quite wistful, despite the childishly degrading way he was shown the door. And it’s not like the band has a long future before it, anyway. I think Lindsey knows it has one, maybe two additional tours left in it... and that he could put aside his creative disagreements long enough to close out the band in a respectful way.

I have no idea how in TF he could go back after this? WHO would go back after being treated like that? Sure, he wants the pay check and the fame of playing in front of 20K instead of 2K. But at this point in the game? I think he'd look bigger telling them to FO. Let them ride into the sunset as The Old Goat's cover band. I'm sure Chris, John, and even whore Mick are ashamed of how this played out. They should be! And as much as that's how our band SHOULD end, it's f*cked up beyond repair, IMO.

$tevie Nick$ is the worst thing that every happened to the artistry of FM.

cbBen 01-04-2019 04:10 AM

Maybe he goes back to reinforce the idea that the experiment excluding his was a mistake, and that the band acknowledges (even if only implicitly) that he is in fact irreplaceable – and to shore up the band's damaged legacy since, even though he had little to no part in damaging it, he cares about seeing it restored.

HomerMcvie 01-04-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1247304)
Maybe he goes back to reinforce the idea that the experiment excluding his was a mistake, and that the band acknowledges (even if only implicitly) that he is in fact irreplaceable – and to shore up the band's damaged legacy since, even though he had little to no part in damaging it, he cares about seeing it restored.

Would YOU go back, after worldwide embarrassment? I wouldn't. Not unless I really needed the money. And I'm sure he doesn't.

button-lip 01-04-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1247299)

He seems willing to end his career with FM in a more dignified way. Yes, he's probably also doing it for the money, but I think he needs this closure with the band before going on with his solo work. He seems more focused in doing it for the fans and for himself than for the band.

I think all of them need to put aside their own agenda if they want this to work again. Not just Lindsey.