The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Little Lies cover (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55944)

bucklind17 11-18-2008 11:07 PM

David Cook sings Little Lies

American Idol winner David Cook sang a rocked out version of "Little Lies" at his CD release tonight. He changes the words a little bit, but I thought it was pretty good! Fun to hear a different take on the song. I have to admit, this is not a song I would have guessed he'd do in concert, but I'm excited he did! I told him so as well! Haha.

macpai 11-18-2008 11:13 PM

I really like it too. He was really good at tweaking existing songs during the AI run. Guess it's his natural affinity for music.

strandinthewind 11-18-2008 11:32 PM

Cool cover.

I like the rawness of it.

I am also thrilled that CM gets some pocket change and an introduction to that fan base!

mylittledemon 11-19-2008 12:19 PM

Barf-worthy. Guitar parts are horrid.

nicepace 11-19-2008 01:13 PM

Normally I like it when a Christine song gets a muscular, garage-band treatment. But what a stiff this guy is. He has no stage presence whatsoever. The way he hides his face with his hands over the mike is pathetic. Did you say he's an American Idol winner? Man, am I glad I don't watch that show.

I don't so much mind the guitar playing. Like I said, I enjoy a twist like this on a Chris song. But the band needs a different vocalist, and fast.

I do give him credit for good taste, however.

Chrislit18 11-19-2008 04:19 PM

I hated him on Idol. I wanted Michael Johns to win.

And I still do.
And he ruined this song.
He fails.

TrueFaith77 11-19-2008 04:32 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I haven't even heard it yet. But could it be worse than Michael Johns' "Go Your Own Way"? :shrug: I still can't believe Archuleta didn't win (oh don't get me started).

ETA: Now that I've heard it... YUCK! This guy is to music what anti-matter is to matter.

Chrislit18 11-19-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 784882)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I haven't even heard it yet. But could it be worse than Michael Johns' "Go Your Own Way"? :shrug: I still can't believe Archuleta didn't win (oh don't get me started).

oh my god. Crush [Archie's single] is EPIC

Only new song on heavy rotation on the ipod :nod:

GoldDustOrphan 11-19-2008 04:50 PM

David Cook always looks greasy and unwashed. His three pre-Idol albums stink. His success on Idol was mostly due to arrangements he stole from other musicians and passed off as his own. That, and he used his sick brother to pull the sympathy vote.

That poor little kid who gasps every time he speaks had a better singing voice.

TrueFaith77 11-19-2008 04:58 PM

This is the article I wrote the day of the finale, before the winner was announced:

http://idontwanttoseethat.blogspot.c...ure-small.html

but really... don't get me started on American Idol.

strandinthewind 11-19-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan (Post 784885)
. . . That poor little kid who gasps every time he speaks had a better singing voice.

Archuleta's impish quivering lip made me want to smack him - OFTEN!!!!!!!!

As for Cook - he has a killer voice. He is just not very original or varied.

Sad really.

GoldDustOrphan 11-19-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Archuleta's impish quivering lip made me want to smack him - OFTEN!!!!!!!!
I think his stage dad took care of that.

strandinthewind 11-19-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan (Post 784892)
I think his stage dad took care of that.

Yea - that was the rumour.

To be fair - Archuleta has one helluva voice. I just thought he was young and had no presence to raise above mediocrity.

JbbyStew86 11-19-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 784836)

hahaha amen!

Remy 11-19-2008 07:13 PM

Well, the arrangement isnt the best...but i guess the audience is digging it! just goes on to show what a timeless classic 'LL' is.

i like cook's voice. very raw, he can hit some high notes. archuleta's too soapy for me.

Phoenix 11-19-2008 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=GoldDustOrphan;784885]David Cook always looks greasy and unwashed. His three pre-Idol albums stink. His success on Idol was mostly due to arrangements he stole from other musicians and passed off as his own. That, and he used his sick brother to pull the sympathy vote.

That poor little kid who gasps every time he speaks had a better singing voice.[/
QUOTE]

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank god im not the only one
Its like listening to hohan doing edge of seventeen

Peestie 11-20-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 784836)

Totally hate the guitar parts.

Kudos on the song choice but I think he loses a lot of the essence of the song.

skcin 11-21-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrislit18 (Post 784879)
I hated him on Idol. I wanted Michael Johns to win.

And I still do.
And he ruined this song.
He fails.

He fails, but you wanted the guy who turned out one of the most boring versions of GYOW ever to win? :shrug:

Chrislit18 11-21-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skcin (Post 785199)
He fails, but you wanted the guy who turned out one of the most boring versions of GYOW ever to win? :shrug:

IMO he had the best stage presence and voices of the seasons. [Johns]

Yet he did suck at GOYW.

But not as much as Cook sucks at Little Lies :shrug:

GoldDustOrphan 03-03-2009 02:40 PM

Cover Songs: Anna Ternheim - Little Lies; Nora O'Connor - That's Alright

Here are two more FM cover songs that I never knew existed.

Anna Ternheim - Little Lies (Fleetwood Mac cover).mp3
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bczoj5jubd0

Nora O'Connor - That's Alright (Fleetwood Mac cover).mp3
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qmwiemwjzm5

From the following releases:

Ternheim - "Shoreline" (Not sure of release date)
O'Connor - "Til the Dawn" (2004)

vermicious knid 03-03-2009 06:35 PM

Norah's cover is nice. It was a good idea to put in an instrumental break after the first chorus.

nicepace 03-03-2009 08:18 PM

I like the "Little Lies" cover. I think it's nice as an acoustic folk song. It really brings out the emotion of the song.

Rod 03-04-2009 02:58 PM

The Shoreline EP is from 2005. It has some other great cover songs as well. Details here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Anna+Ternheim/Shoreline+EP

Nora O'Connor's album is also well worth a listen - a nice mix of covers and original songs.

tuigirl 08-07-2009 11:49 AM

holy smokes!! David cook sings little lies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagQh...layer_embedded

This on GMA this morning. aplogies if it's already been seen and discussed.
good version.

GoldDustOrphan 08-07-2009 11:56 AM

I'd never seen this. More interesting is that Kris Allen and Adam Lambert sing it with him.
Cook obviously loves Fleetwood Mac. He and Carrie Underwood performed "Go Your Own Way" during the Idol Experience launch in Florida.

Dodfather 08-07-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan (Post 834905)
I'd never seen this. More interesting is that Kris Allen and Adam Lambert sing it with him.
Cook obviously loves Fleetwood Mac. He and Carrie Underwood performed "Go Your Own Way" during the Idol Experience launch in Florida.

This is BRILLIANT! I always liked David Cook from his first week on American Idol and his album is great. He has such a fantastic voice and always comes up with arrangements that are just different enough. Little Lies works so well as a guitar driven power pop tune rather than the keyboard based original version (which I of course love!) I really like Adam Lambert too but him and Kris Allen were a bit redundant on this.

His version of Mariah Carey's Always Be My Baby and Lionel Richie's Hello were excellent too.

This is why I love this messageboard. Living in the UK I wouldn't have seen this or heard of it at all!

louielouie2000 08-07-2009 12:43 PM

Oh dear God, are you people crazy?? This was AWEFUL!!! :eek: David Cook sings like he's pushing out a particularly large bowel movement, and Adam Lambert is no Stevie Nicks!! I do love Tango being introduced to a new generation, but this version is just blasphemy!!!

GoldDustOrphan 08-07-2009 12:43 PM

Mp3: David Cook ft. Kris Allen & Adam Lambert - Little Lies (Live on GMA, Aug. 7)

I ripped the audio from the HQ video download on youtube.

David Cook ft. Kris Allen & Adam Lambert - Little Lies (Live on GMA, Aug. 7)
http://www.mediafire.com/?lid2zzgodkw

Livia 08-07-2009 12:57 PM

I dig it. Like someone mentioned on youtube, I wouldn't mind seeing more Adam and less Kris.

David 08-07-2009 01:04 PM

I don't know who these kids are, but is that a Nord Electro I see on the stage?

wondergirl9847 08-07-2009 01:24 PM

Cool!

I was shocked when I read over at TWoP that the three sang Little Lies! YAY for them doing an FM song since the young un's might go searching for the original song. :thumbsup:

I loved hearing Kris' Heartless and Adam's Starlight too. :)

Lala 08-07-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 834915)
I do love Tango being introduced to a new generation, but this version is just blasphemy!!!

Agreed. I did not enjoy this. In fact, it made me slightly uncomfortable

Glittermoondust 08-07-2009 06:06 PM

Hmmmm.... I actually liked it :nod:

jill 08-07-2009 07:27 PM

I persoally loved it. This kid is really good. Seen him 2 times in concert, and not only is he a great performer, he is one of the "good guys" fame has not gotten to his head, I certaily rec. buying his CD you wont be disappointed! I adore how he has stayed "grounded' and all the people in the business have respect for him, anyway, that was a rant, but atleast he is paying homage to Fleetwood Mac! :thumbsup:

Musicman408 08-07-2009 07:31 PM

I don't know how I feel about this. Little Lies, or at least the FM version, is such a nice softer song with some stronger tendencies, and I don't know how much I like a full on rock version of it!

carrie721 08-07-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 834978)
Is this for real? It's so awful it's funny. :lol:

why do you hate america? :mad:

um, seriously though. i kinda like the idea of this. but the execution? barfy.

mylittledemon 08-07-2009 08:35 PM

I'm not impressed with it. Or David Cook. :sorry:

kak125 08-07-2009 09:34 PM

i am surprised to say that i actually like it. its a real rocking version of the song and just so different.

ThunderHappens 08-08-2009 12:25 AM

I've never watched a single episode of American Idol, and I've heard very little from or about these guys, yet I really enjoyed this. Of course it's not on par with the original, but it wasn't bad.

On a similar note, I recently heard Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins for the first time, too....and I thought it was horrible. Go figure.

louielouie2000 08-08-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderHappens (Post 835016)
On a similar note, I recently heard Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins for the first time, too....and I thought it was horrible. Go figure.

I agree. The first time I heard that 15 years ago I thought it was barfy. I liked the Dixie Chicks version WAY better. I actually think I like their execution of it better than the original 1975 White Album recording. I've always found that one very sterile and lifeless... :sorry: