The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vegas should be cancer benefit concert! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52878)

BlueDenimLamp 10-30-2013 11:24 PM

Vegas should be cancer benefit concert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1109464)
The fact that my radio station is still giving away tickets for the December 30 show made me wonder the same thing. Would they consider a subsitute bassist if John is not up to it? Obviously there wasn't time to do that for Australia, but they could arrange something for Vegas. Not sure I see the point, though.

Actually I was thinking they should do the show as a benefit and donate the proceeds to cancer research...

SteveMacD 10-31-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1109464)
The fact that my radio station is still giving away tickets for the December 30 show made me wonder the same thing. Would they consider a subsitute bassist if John is not up to it?

Probably would be George Hawkins.

vivfox 10-31-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1109468)
Probably would be George Hawkins.

What about Al Ortiz? He already knows how to play all of Stevie's FM tunes.

elle 10-31-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1109466)
Actually I was thinking they should do the show as a benefit and donate the proceeds to cancer research...

what a great idea and how appropriate would that be!

we should start a thread advocating this.

jbrownsjr 10-31-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1109482)

I second that... I'm in!

missundercover 10-31-2013 09:08 AM

Me too - lovely idea!

elle 10-31-2013 09:11 AM

Vegas should be cancer benefit concert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1109466)

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1109482)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1109485)
I second that... I'm in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by missundercover (Post 1109486)
Me too - lovely idea!

others? thoughts?

applebucked 10-31-2013 09:29 AM

Oh, that would be a very amazing idea. :nod: I'm definitely on board!

Deeshere 10-31-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1109487)
others? thoughts?

That's actually a great idea, and If they want to take it a step further maybe they could do a live stream of the concert online and people that can't be there in person could pay to watch the concert. They could get Brett to play bass and bring someone else in to play keyboards.

I would be all for that...:nod:

applebucked 10-31-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeshere (Post 1109494)
That's actually a great idea, and If they want to take it a step further maybe they could do a live stream of the concert online and people that can't be there in person could pay to watch the concert. They could get Brett to play bass and bring someone else in to play keyboards.

Or maybe cajole Christine to play the Vegas gig? I think she would be inclined to agree if asked.

elle 10-31-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1109495)
Or maybe cajole Christine to play the Vegas gig? I think she would be inclined to agree if asked.

absolutely. she should be there, for however much of it she feels comfortable.

applebucked 10-31-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1109496)
absolutely. she should be there, for however much of it she feels comfortable.

Plus there would still be a Mac in Fleetwood Mac. :thumbsup: John would also really like that and at this point, she would probably do anything for him.

BlueDenimLamp 10-31-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

If you are going to include former band members (Christine) then why not go one step further and issue an open invitation to ALL former band mates...It would be quite a show and a great way to show some love and support for an old friend...And what better place than Vegas...

Deeshere 10-31-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

That's a great idea. I wasn't sure Chris would go all the way to Vegas to play, but if it's for John I bet she would do it. :thumbsup:

applebucked 10-31-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeshere (Post 1109526)
That's a great idea. I wasn't sure Chris would go all the way to Vegas to play, but if it's for John I bet she would do it. :thumbsup:

and if she does do it and will play Songbird in the end, I'll just rip my heart out of my chest.

Deeshere 10-31-2013 12:50 PM

Ok, we may need to merge these 2 threads, but on the benefit concert thread I think we may have this all worked out.

Let Brett take over as bass player, bring Christine in to play the piano. stream it live online so people that cannot make it to the show can pay to watch it. Then donate the proceeds to cancer research.

This is of course all contingent on if the band is willing to play a show for free. ;)

Deeshere 10-31-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1109527)
and if she does do it and will play Songbird in the end, I'll just rip my heart out of my chest.

I would love her to do Songbird again, and she could dedicate it to John. Kinda makes me want to cry just thinking about it. :(

applebucked 10-31-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeshere (Post 1109530)
I would love her to do Songbird again, and she could dedicate it to John. Kinda makes me want to cry just thinking about it. :(

Same, man. I'm going emotional all over again. :(

MoonSister75 10-31-2013 01:07 PM

I tried to watch some of the clips from Amsterdam today but I kept crying - they are so moving...

and yes benefit concert great idea

SteveMacD 10-31-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1109478)
What about Al Ortiz? He already knows how to play all of Stevie's FM tunes.

George Hawkins was in Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, the Mick Fleetwood band, Christine's solo band for her 1984 solo album and "In The Meantime", played with Lindsey on Saturday Night Live, and sang backing vocals on John's "solo" album.

He has playing chemistry with Mick and with Christine (if she's going to play with them), which makes him a better choice from a player perspective.

SteveMacD 10-31-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

They could get Brett to play bass and bring someone else in to play keyboards.

George Hawkins on bass. He's played with Mick, Christine, and Lindsey, and has some chemistry with them. Plus, if he's filling in for John, Christine would be more likely to do the show.

applebucked 10-31-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1109536)
George Hawkins on bass. He's played with Mick, Christine, and Lindsey, and has some chemistry with them. Plus, if he's filling in for John, Christine would be more likely to do the show.

I love the idea of George filling in. :nod:

BlueDenimLamp 10-31-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
George is really off the radar on the internet...I found a pic of him with Stevie...Did he tour with FM???

jenniferuk 10-31-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1109552)
George is really off the radar on the internet...I found a pic of him with Stevie...Did he tour with FM???

Here is an old bio that includes link to q&a he did (for this site).

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/hawkins.htm

And more recent pic w/Mick
http://jamstage.net/stagehands.html

jenniferuk 10-31-2013 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posting pick referenced above-george and mick.

BlueDenimLamp 10-31-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenniferuk (Post 1109553)
Here is an old bio that includes link to q&a he did (for this site).

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/hawkins.htm

And more recent pic w/Mick

Links back to "The Ledge" are about all you find...Sounds like he has played with all of "The 5" in one way or another...Almost like the 5th Beatle (well in our case 6th)

jenniferuk 10-31-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1109558)
Links back to "The Ledge" are about all you find...Sounds like he has played with all of "The 5" in one way or another...Almost like the 5th Beatle (well in our case 6th)

Same, and older work with Kenny Loggins and then Fogerty. Only recent info I found is The Bicho Brothers

http://thebichobrothers.com/fr_aboutus.cfm

I'msoAfraid95 10-31-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1109503)
If you are going to include former band members (Christine) then why not go one step further and issue an open invitation to ALL former band mates...It would be quite a show and a great way to show some love and support for an old friend...And what better place than Vegas...

I'd definitely pay to stream that! I wholeheartedly agree with donating the procceeds to charity and/or cancer research.

StreetAngel86 10-31-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

I WOULD PAY!!!!!!!! yes!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Macfanforever 10-31-2013 06:41 PM

This might sound retarded .I might be alittle slow upstairs and must of skipped Fleetwood Mac 101 school that day when George Hawkins name was mentioned.

His name does not ring a bell until I did alittle homework earlier today about him.

In the meantime.Depends on what John treatment is and if John's up to it and feeling good at the time of the shows.He will do it for us fans.

It would be great if they make this show a benefit for cancer awareness.

Its two months away .The Mac will figure out what they will do by the time of those two shows.

SteveMacD 11-01-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1109569)
This might sound retarded .I might be alittle slow upstairs and must of skipped Fleetwood Mac 101 school that day when George Hawkins name was mentioned.

His name does not ring a bell until I did alittle homework earlier today about him.

First, he started filling in for members of Fleetwood Mac with other artists.

Then he started playing with various members of Fleetwood Mac...

Mick Fleetwood...

Lindsey Buckingham... (Hey, that guy standing right next to George looks familiar...)

Mick Fleetwood's Zoo...

Christine McVie...

Billy Burnette...

Sang harmonies on John McVie's solo record...
And Bekka Bramlett (who understands what it's like filling in for Stevie Nicks)

SteveMacD 11-01-2013 12:25 AM

Also, another great harmony vocal from George from John's solo album...

One More Time With Feeling

ETA, basically what Fleetwood Mac would have looked like like if it had just been the boys after 1991...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcf..._music?start=6

ETA 2...Written by Christine McVie, Billy Burnette, and George Hawkins
Givin' It Back

applebucked 11-01-2013 12:32 AM

I know Christine introduced him as George "The Body" Hawkins. :laugh:

SteveMacD 11-01-2013 01:11 AM

Also, see the similarities in these videos?

I Want You Back

If Anyone Falls

missundercover 11-01-2013 08:04 AM

...may-she-be-a-patron-of-driving-this-disease-away (Rhiannon)

A broadcast of this show would be the cherry on top...

Macfanforever 11-01-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1109612)
Also, another great harmony vocal from George from John's solo album...

One More Time With Feeling

ETA, basically what Fleetwood Mac would have looked like like if it had just been the boys after 1991...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcf..._music?start=6

ETA 2...Written by Christine McVie, Billy Burnette, and George Hawkins
Givin' It Back

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1109610)
First, he started filling in for members of Fleetwood Mac with other artists.

Then he started playing with various members of Fleetwood Mac...

Mick Fleetwood...

Lindsey Buckingham... (Hey, that guy standing right next to George looks familiar...)

Mick Fleetwood's Zoo...

Christine McVie...

Billy Burnette...

Sang harmonies on John McVie's solo record...
And Bekka Bramlett (who understands what it's like filling in for Stevie Nicks)

Thanks Steve for the info.