The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mirage: Favorite Non-Hits (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49891)

MacShadowsBall 03-21-2012 03:19 PM

Mirage: Favorite Non-Hits

Enough worrying about what's gonna happen to the Ledge and lets get started voting for your favorite non-hits from Mirage!

Vote for 2 songs as your favorite non-hits from Mirage.

Poll closes in 4 days. :cool:

bluefox4000 03-21-2012 08:29 PM

Well nothing on this album really does ANYTHING for me except Eyes of the World.....so that's it.

Mick

CADreaming 03-21-2012 09:02 PM

I chose Can't Go Back and That's Alright. Can't Go Back is just a really neat song. I love the "brightness" in the guitar - phonics maybe? Is that the word I'm looking for? Anyway, I love that sound. And the lyrics, "a face as soft as a tear in a clown's eye". That's just a great line. And, of course, I love That's Alright - BN throwback. It's not as great as the demo but the change in Stevie's voice sort of makes it (or her) sound a little harsher than in the demo. But, I love this song no matter the version. It's a foot tapping country song and it's catchy. Love the harmonies as usual.

I really do love Eyes of the World, but I prefer the live version over the recorded version. Thanks to whoever pointed out to me in the LB section a while back that EOTW is indeed "Stephanie". Really cool to finally hear that.

tilthefirefades 03-21-2012 09:11 PM

Ugh, another poll that I can't choose. Love them all so much, and really That's Alright is probably my favorite. But even Empire State sounds incredibly brilliant to me at times.

vivfox 03-21-2012 09:28 PM

Straight Back and That's Alright. Not because it's Stevie but these are the 2 songs I'd listen to first, probably.

KarmaContestant 03-22-2012 11:58 AM

Empire State & That's Alright are my favorites on this album, and really the only tracks I listen to other than Gypsy and Hold Me.

Yeah, so what, I like Empire State. :shrug: :laugh:

McTrouble 03-22-2012 06:24 PM

Oh Diane and Can't Go Back!

But I love the whole album.

windbecame 03-22-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1044578)
Straight Back and That's Alright. Not because it's Stevie but these are the 2 songs I'd listen to first, probably.

me too!!:nod:

Street_Dreamer 03-22-2012 07:01 PM

That's Alright is among my top five songs by Stevie. Guess what I chose?

Matt

WildHearted 03-22-2012 07:04 PM

Again, I'm dumb and didn't read before I voted. So I only voted for one: That's Alright. Definitely my favorite non-hit from Mirage by a landslide, and actually one of my favorite non-hits period. I cover it all the time at open mic night haha.

GypsySorcerer 03-22-2012 07:17 PM

That's Alright is one of my favorite FM songs, period, hit or otherwise. The second choice was hard, but I ended up going with Can't Go Back.

moon 03-22-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 1044675)
Oh Diane and Can't Go Back!

But I love the whole album.

I agree. Totally agree. You're an Idol!!!

Well, for me, Book of Love and Can't go back. I know I could say Oh Diane, you know I have a special love for this song, but I think these are amazing. As McTrouble said above, I love the whole album!
Regards

MacShadowsBall 03-22-2012 09:28 PM

Where's all the love for Straight Back? It's one of my favorite FM-Stevie songs.

Well it is in 2nd place, so that's great!!!!

HomerMcvie 03-22-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1044703)

Well, for me, Book of Love and Can't go back. I know I could say Oh Diane, you know I have a special love for this song, but I think these are amazing.

As McTrouble said above, I love the whole album!
Regards

Those were my two votes, too....

I love all of Mirage, too(yes, even Empire State). Not sure why they consider it a red headed step child...(the whole album, not Empire)

iamnotafraid 03-22-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1044687)
That's Alright. Definitely my favorite non-hit from Mirage by a landslide, and actually one of my favorite non-hits period. I cover it all the time at open mic night haha.

But do you ever cover Nightbird?

Aussie W/Heart 03-23-2012 05:13 AM

I love Straight Back, & i think it could of easily been a hit if given the chance on radio at that time. I also went with That's Alright

Artemis 03-23-2012 11:52 AM

That's Alright and Straight Back, although Eyes of the World veeeeery nearly beat Straight Back. The rest of them, apart from Empire State, are just.... blech.

MacShadowsBall 03-24-2012 08:12 PM

My two votes go to Wish You Were Here and Straight Back. When I make a FM favorite playlist, both of the songs are on it. :cool:

PenguinHead 03-24-2012 09:21 PM

I love Mirage as a whole, warts and all.

The release of Mirage was a big deal at the time. and the press deemed it as the "reunion" of Fleetwood Mac, since it had been almost three years since their last album! How times (and expectations) have changed!

I wasn't crazy about Lindsey's retro-style songs at the time, but they've really grown on me over the years. I'm not ashamed to say I like Empire State! The line "Big Apple, taking a bite of me" is very witty.

AliceLover 03-25-2012 12:19 PM

BLECH! I can't believe how many votes there are for 'That's Alright' and 'Straight Back.' Those two can go in the 'Street Angel' bucket for me. Lindseys songs on this album are highly underrated. I have huge admiration for 'Eyes of the World,' Can't Go Back,' and 'Book of Love.'

bangdrum 03-25-2012 12:40 PM

I can't believe Straight Back has almost twice as many votes as Eyes Of The World! :distress:

I think I'm the only person who's not entirely crazy about Can't Go Back.

I don't remember if I posted what my votes were... I went for Eyes and Wish You Were Here.

I do love almost all of Mirage though.

MacShadowsBall 03-25-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 1044990)
BLECH! I can't believe how many votes there are for 'That's Alright' and 'Straight Back.' Those two can go in the 'Street Angel' bucket for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangdrum (Post 1044996)
I can't believe Straight Back has almost twice as many votes as Eyes Of The World! :distress:

Stevie's songs are doing really well in this contest. However, her downfall is coming up in a week or so, Tango in the Night. :lol:

elle 03-25-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 1045000)
Stevie's songs are doing really well in this contest. However, her downfall is coming up in a week or so, Tango in the Night. :lol:

:laugh: you know better than that! if there's at least one SN song in the poll, however crappy it may be, it will win! :eek: :lol:

MacShadowsBall 03-25-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1045001)
:laugh: you know better than that! if there's at least one SN song in the poll, however crappy it may be, it will win! :eek: :lol:

We could declare When I See You Again and Welcome to the Room, Sara as "hits" then they wouldn't be in the poll. :laugh:

I'm really rooting for Christine for TITN, esp Isn't It Midnight. :nod:

Johnny Stew 03-25-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1045001)

The ironic thing is, people who are primarily Stevie fans are far more likely to vote for one of Lindsey's or Christine's songs in these polls, than CM fans & LB fans are to vote for a Stevie song (take a glance at who chose what, in the above results).

I guess the cream just always rises to the top. ;) :laugh: (Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing after the "however crappy" zing. ;) )

Johnny Stew 03-25-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 1045002)
We could declare When I See You Again and Welcome to the Room, Sara as "hits" then they wouldn't be in the poll. :laugh:

You don't have to worry -- those two songs always get slaughtered, come voting time. "When I See You Again" is actually one of my all-time favorite songs, and I know it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever making it past round one (or, as Sheldon Cooper says, "a Snowball's chance in a CAT scanner"), but it's still always fun to watch how the voting plays out.

elle 03-25-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew (Post 1045006)
You don't have to worry -- those two songs always get slaughtered, come voting time. "When I See You Again" is actually one of my all-time favorite songs, and I know it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever making it past round one (or, as Sheldon Cooper says, "a Snowball's chance in a CAT scanner"), but it's still always fun to watch how the voting plays out.

if it's only SN song in the poll, i wouldn't bet on it not winning :laugh: - and i would be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.

again, look at the overall breakout of the voters:

Christine McVie 18
Lindsey Buckingham 26
Stevie Nicks 64

in this current poll, you have one stellar/fun song (EOTW), one song that many FM fans seem to claim is great (BOL), one highly hated song (OD), one song that SN fans seem to love a lot (That's Alright), and then the rest of the songs should probably get about equal split (yeah i'm biased but still c'mon)... and which two songs are in overwhelming lead? :lol:

EDIT: that said, people are supposed to vote for their favorite songs, and if they strongly prefer one of the songwriters, it makes sense that they are voting for that person's songs.

MikeInNV 03-25-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew (Post 1045004)
The ironic thing is, people who are primarily Stevie fans are far more likely to vote for one of Lindsey's or Christine's songs in these polls, than CM fans & LB fans are to vote for a Stevie song (take a glance at who chose what, in the above results).

Yes, for all the heat Chiffonheads have to take for their zealous devotion, there are "Anti-Chiffons" who are just as determined to beat her down no matter what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1045007)
in this current poll, you have one stellar/fun song (EOTW), one song that many FM fans seem to claim is great (BOL), one highly hated song (OD), one song that SN fans seem to love a lot (That's Alright), and then the rest of the songs should probably get about equal split (yeah i'm biased but still c'mon)... and which two songs are in overwhelming lead? :lol:

And maybe this is an example of what I mean? Favorites are subjective and votes are personal. How can you declare one song to be stellar, as if that's fact for all of us? Personally, I think EOTW is great live but nothing special on record. I also didn't know BOL was so well liked. I know lots of people think LB, and even moreso CM, are weak on Mirage, so there is no reason Stevie doesn't deserve a win here. I probably wouldn't take you task for this if I thought Stevie had a chance in hell of winning Tango. She won't, and there won't be any reason to declare "voter fraud."

MacShadowsBall 03-25-2012 03:26 PM

Yeah, I want people to vote for their favorite and not be afraid to. We're just discussing trends and such!

One thing I do is look back on my corresponding polls in 2010 fav song contest and last years least fav song contest. For example in 2010, Christine won favorite song from Tango in the Night, Little Lies. As far as Mirage is concerned, Stevie killed it in 2010 with Gypsy while Lindsey won least favorite Mirage song last year.

FYI, just click on my profile and view my threads then you can sort them from back to 2010. :cool:

elle 03-25-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew (Post 1045004)
I guess the cream just always rises to the top. ;) :laugh: (Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing after the "however crappy" zing. ;) )

:laugh: no problem! :wavey: as long as we are having fun while discussing songs and not trading personal attacks on each other, i'm all for having disagreements (obviously!). it makes for more interesting discussion.:nod:

as i said before:
Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1045007)
people are supposed to vote for their favorite songs, and if they strongly prefer one of the songwriters, it makes sense that they are voting for that person's songs.

- since we have many more people who prefer one songwriter over the other two combined, the result will almost always be skewed. that's why i told MSB before he started this round of polling that i'll try to stay out (obviously not very successfully so far :lol:) - pitting songwriters against each other just takes the fun out for me. and i've heard the same from several other people.:sorry:

WildHearted 03-25-2012 07:12 PM

^So would you have preferred that instead of pitting the songs against each other, we first grouped by writer first, and then put the results from THOSE polls against each other? I think we'd end up with the same result, though, in the end.

elle 03-25-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1045039)
^So would you have preferred that instead of pitting the songs against each other, we first grouped by writer first, and then put the results from THOSE polls against each other?

no - just pick favorites for each songwriter and that's it. of course, when MSB offered that option, most didn't like it.:D guess i always go against the grain.:laugh:

that's why we started doing polls in LB forum - they have less voters, but i learned a lot about the actual songs in the course of doing them.

MacShadowsBall 03-25-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1045039)
^So would you have preferred that instead of pitting the songs against each other, we first grouped by writer first, and then put the results from THOSE polls against each other? I think we'd end up with the same result, though, in the end.

That's the way I did both the 2010 favorite song contest and last years least favorite song contest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1045040)
no - just pick favorites for each songwriter and that's it. of course, when MSB offered that option, most didn't like it.:D guess i always go against the grain.:laugh:

that's why we started doing polls in LB forum - they have less voters, but i learned a lot about the actual songs in the course of doing them.

It's working out nicely just lumping the songs in one poll and then having album finals. It's a few less polls for me run versus having four polls per album - Christine, Stevie, Lindsey, and finals.

Also with songs being removed as "hits", a lot of the polls would just have two options, kinda a waste in my opinion.

Of course on the Pre-Rumours forum they think all my polls are a waste! :lol:

MacShadowsBall 03-26-2012 10:26 PM

Eyes of the World, That's Alright, and Straight Back move on the Mirage finals. :cool: