The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your first Fleetwood Mac album (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41771)

holidayroad 10-05-2009 10:14 AM

Your first Fleetwood Mac album

The first FMac album I had was Tango in the Night,bought for me in mid 1987.(I was almost 13) I still have that cassette and I think I played it to death. I've been through 3 cassettes of it and now have a CD. Anyway, I just wondered what album everyone else had first.

louielouie2000 10-05-2009 10:21 AM

Rumours in 1993. I heard Gold Dust Woman and The Chain on one of those classic rock stations Two For Tuesdays one day in the car with my Mom, and I went nuts. We went straight home, and Mom dug out Rumours from my Dad's giant CD collection. I wore holes through it, and am now on my third Rumours CD. :D

macpai 10-05-2009 10:22 AM

I really don't remember, but I guess it was Mirage. I loved the two videos and I was always a big fan of "Love in Store" and was pissed when it didn't chart higher.
I have very clear recollection of early FM in my life, though, hearing "Dreams" multiple times during the eternal family vacation car trips between New York and Florida.

vivfox 10-05-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 845314)
Rumours in 1993. I heard Gold Dust Woman and The Chain on one of those classic rock stations Two For Tuesdays one day in the car with my Mom, and I went nuts. We went straight home, and Mom dug out Rumours from my Dad's giant CD collection. I wore holes through it, and am now on my third Rumours CD. :D

After hearing the radio hits umpteen times I bought Rumours and these were the two songs I heard for the first time after that purchase that totally blew me away. Gold Dust Woman is probably my most favorite FM song ever!!

Photobucket

JeannieKartis 10-05-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 845319)
After hearing the radio hits umpteen times I bought Rumours and these were the two songs I heard for the first time after that purchase that totally blew me away. Gold Dust Woman is probably my most favorite FM song ever!!

Photobucket

Bare Trees...yes, before Stevie and Lindsay...(I am old) LOL

chiliD 10-05-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeannieKartis (Post 845322)
Bare Trees...yes, before Stevie and Lindsay...(I am old) LOL

Me, too...although, I'm most likely even older. :nod:

The first Fleetwood Mac album I got pretty much when it came out (within a month or so of its release) was Then Play On...had to backtrack to get Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac & English Rose (and it took me a bit longer to track down the two UK albums, Mr Wonderful & Pious Bird Of Good Omen)....from then on, I just got 'em as they came out.

StephenC 10-05-2009 12:13 PM

I bought Tango In The Night as I loved Big Love. My brother gave me a badly recorded cassette of Rumours and Fleetwood Mac.

Over the next year, I bought Mirage and Tusk and then to the solo recording Bella Donna. I bought Lindsey's Law and Order in a second hand record shop.

It was a long while after that I bought the Live album and completed ALL of the solo stuff.

Dodfather 10-05-2009 12:39 PM

Due to my love of categorisation I'm going to put my first studio album here, not the Greatest Hits that I started with. I got Tango In The Night first, then Rumours, then Fleetwood Mac, then Mirage, then Tusk, then Say You Will and have just been filling in the gaps since then...

BellaDonna93 10-05-2009 01:00 PM

My first Mac album, that I heard first, was Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits from 1988, my dad baught it in the fall of 2007 and that got me into The Mac and Stevie...but we already had Rumours and Tusk Lp's but I didn't know that until I discovered them :) So Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits, the first albm I heard :)

trackaghost 10-05-2009 01:23 PM

My first was Tango In The Night which I bought because I loved the song Everywhere, which was a big hit at the time. I must have been about 12 years old. I had heard Rumours because my aunt owned it but I didn't connect the two until later, I didn't realise the hippie sounds of Rumours and the modern smooth synths of Tango were the same band. Funnily enough all these years on Rumours still sounds pretty fresh these days and Tango sounds kinda dated.

FMlex 10-05-2009 01:28 PM

The Dance in 1997 was the first time I heard FM.
I was only seven years old at the time, so obviously I didn't buy it.
But my parents had it playing in their cars for the longest time and I just remember loving it.
Then came the DVD later on and I was able to connect the voice of "Landslide" to that "pretty blonde lady."

Besides that, the first album I actually BOUGHT was Rumours.

Matthew 10-05-2009 02:16 PM

My first cassette of Fleetwood Mac was Greatest Hits (1988). But it was a copy, not originall. On that cassette was a first half of Timespace too. I really don´t know when I heard it for the first time... but definitely in 90s :D. Probably in the second half.

My first originall was CD of Mirage.

But I have to say that the album Greatest Hits from 1988 is most common album of Fleetwood Mac here in the Czech Republic. It was huge success in Britain and Europe generally, so after revolution in 1989 it was expanded in Czech rep. a little bit too.

Yeah, and I forgot Rumours. My daddy had a copy of this on cassette too, just next to the Greatest Hits/Timespace cassette :D.

mylittledemon 10-05-2009 02:45 PM

Got The Dance on CD in Oct or Nov '97. We listened to it all the way from TN to MS (an 8 hr drive) for Thanksgiving that year.

TrueFaith77 10-05-2009 02:46 PM

Rumours. 2006. I'll never forget listening to this beautiful music, while reading the liner notes detailing all the break-ups (trying to put faces to the names of the songwriters). "Don't Stop" came on and I thought: "Bill Clinton ruins everything. . ." and then "Go Your Own Way" came on and I lost my mind: it felt like love at first sight or like when you finally meet someone who you've seen in dreams before. I was hooked from that moment. The next day, I went to the store and picked up Tusk. The next day, I got the White Album. . . and then I just dove in.

GoldDustBoy 10-05-2009 03:54 PM

When I was 16, (that would be 10 years ago) me and my friend were going through her dad's old records and tapes, and we found Behind The Mask. I borrowed it, and gave it a listen at home. It's not the greatest album of all time, but I was intrigued. After that I came across the TITN video, and watched it several times in two days. It was not the greatest live performance, but I was intrigued more. :) Then finally while I was going through CDs in a music store, I saw The best Of from 1988. I decided to gie it a shot, and played it right there on headphones. Since the first second I heard Rhiannon I was hooked. I bought the CD instantly, and drove the rest of my family completely crazy over the next month playing Rhiannon all the time. then a local TV station aired The Dance DVD as a part of a Christmas program. That was the moment I officially became a lifetime fan. The interesting thing was at first I though the original FM lineup was with Billy and Rick. :) Both BTM, and TITN video were without Lindsey, so...

ILoveFM 10-05-2009 04:45 PM

My dad bought two copies 'The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' and gave me one. I knew the 'popular songs' and that's all I would listen to. A few years later I actually listened to every song on both albums and was hooked. The first album I bought myself was Mirage. My dad had pretty much bought me (for birthdays and christmas) every other album and box set fleetwood mac had so I could only buy what I didn't have haha.

macpai 10-05-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustBoy (Post 845366)
The interesting thing was at first I though the original FM lineup was with Billy and Rick. :) Both BTM, and TITN video were without Lindsey, so...

That is great! Love it, haha!:laugh:

Black_Moon 10-05-2009 05:04 PM

I think my mam first bought Tango in the Night. I'm not entirely sure though.

daniellaaarisen 10-05-2009 05:25 PM

I got The Dance as a present when I was five. It was the first CD that I ever listened to and actually knew the words to..... I wore that thing out.

goldustsongbird 10-05-2009 05:29 PM

First Mac album I actually bought was Rumours. The first one I heard, probably one of the early Peter Green ones.

liamtgallagher 10-05-2009 05:37 PM

Say You Will, last year :eek:

Street_Dreamer 10-05-2009 05:42 PM

Greatest Hits.

Matt

mylittledemon 10-05-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 845393)
I got The Dance as a present when I was five.

Who buys a 5 yr old a CD as a gift? ;)

jbrownsjr 10-05-2009 06:20 PM

Heroes Are Hard To Find...

til...

I was able to buy my own...

First LP purchase was Mirage... my parents had them all so I didn't need to buy until 1982

daniellaaarisen 10-05-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 845404)
Who buys a 5 yr old a CD as a gift? ;)

Parents who don't want their kid stealing (and scratching) their own Dance CD.

:)

I was OBSESSED with my mom's copy and I wanted one of my own..... I got a little portable stereo with it.

mylittledemon 10-05-2009 07:16 PM

:laugh:

Good on ya.

I had just turned 18 when that CD came out, and my brother bought it first. I remember playing N64 every day after school (college) and listening to it. I had "Everywhere" and "Silver Springs" on repeat. ;)

goldustsongbird 10-05-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamtgallagher (Post 845400)
Say You Will, last year :eek:

My sympathies.

:laugh:

FMlex 10-05-2009 07:47 PM

^ Hahaha, Lisa! You beat me to it. I was definitely thinking the same thing. :nod:

GypsySorcerer 10-05-2009 07:54 PM

I remember my mom bringing home the greatest hits album on tape -- I was about 8. I bought The Dance CD myself in high school. I remember being so excited, because I never thought I'd see them do anything other than the Clinton inauguration.

~GoldDustWoman~ 10-05-2009 08:17 PM

Fleetwood Mac and Rumours I bought because I had gotten into Stevie, and had found out she was in this band called Fleetwood Mac, and I wanted to check them out. I bought them a few months ago and they have since become my favorite band! The song that caught my attention was Rhiannon and Gold Dust Woman, but the latter definently was the first one, I fell in love with! Obviously by my name!

Glittermoondust 10-05-2009 08:28 PM

Rumours...... it had to be in '78 or '79..... then the white album and then Tusk etc etc etc.!!

michelej1 10-05-2009 08:42 PM

Got Tusk first. Then went back and purchased used versions of Rumours and the White album. Had not been aware that the people who did the songs I'd heard on the radio: SYLM, Over My Head, Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way, Landslide, Dreams, etc. were the same people who did that Drowning in the Sea of Love song.

Michele

Gypsycat999 10-06-2009 12:57 PM

Mine was Rumours last year. My dad wanted me to show him how to copy songs from a CD to a computer and put Rumours in the player. It changed my life. It was the only thing I listened to for weeks. And it's still my favourite FM album (and probably ever will be, I don't like changes:D).

aleuzzi 10-06-2009 09:35 PM

My sister bought Rumours when it came out. I listened to it hundreds of times before the end of that year.

But the first one I bought was Mirage, when I was twelve.

Musicman408 10-06-2009 09:42 PM

My dad bought Say You Will while we were on vacation in 2003. I kind of acquired it as my own, because I instantly fell in love with it.

And there the magic started!

WildHeart69 10-06-2009 10:27 PM

My parents had the Tango tape in the car at all times because I always wanted to hear Everywhere and Seven Wonders (over and over and over and over and over! ha!) I was about 2-3 years old.

Then, about a decade later, The Dance came out and thats when I started getting serious and bought all of the Rumours lineup albums.

(I still have that tape though! I could never get rid of it...)

michelle2677 10-07-2009 09:01 AM

let's see. i distinctively remember going to the record store and spending 30 minutes deciding which one to get. technically, i bought the dance first (or my friend did for my birthday), but as far as a studio album, i bought rumours. not because i knew of its magnitude, or because of the declining relationships rumours was about, but because i recognized more songs on it :lol: i knew NOTHING about fleetwood mac at the time. i just knew i was going to eventually own all the albums they ever released. so the second was probably the white album, then mirage, i believe. tusk, then tango. i think i bought tango used, and it hurt me because it was one of those albums i really didn't want, but was only buying to complete my collection. i never bought a new copy and i think a few songs skip :o and of course i bought SYW on release date.

(i'd like to add that i went on to buy mystery to me, heroes are hard to find, bare trees, and behind the mask but this is the rumours forum and i really don't know which order these came in other that M2M first)

chriskisn 10-07-2009 09:27 AM

The first album related album that I bought was Greatest Hits (and SN's Timespace) about 15 years ago. I liked it so I sent off (out of a catalogue - remember those!) for the white album, Rumours, Behind the Mask (and possibly Mirage - can't quite remember whether that came a bit later) all at once.

I really liked the BTM album, still one of my favourites to this day, and still my favourite lineup of FM. Of course back when I bought those Time was released a short time later, so I was very excited to have a new FM album, think I bought it as soon as it came out.

For those who never make it to the post-rumours forum I'm currentry trying to defend Time's honour against the hordes of FM fans who don't like it (if you like it I could use some help!) ;)

Lindsey Jr. 10-08-2009 07:04 AM

SYW

:thumbsup:

belladonnadream 10-08-2009 08:08 AM

I think it was my 9th Birthday.....My grandma bought me my first Stevie album WH in summer of 83...so my mom decided to buy me Rumours and Mirage I think both for my Bday as well! I remember being in the living room and being so excited and playing the songs and loving every bit of Rumours! Loved all the pics...I remember playing them throughout the summer and using my mother's carpet sweeper handle as my microphone!!!!!!...It was perfect height and I could bend it up and down just like Stevie's mike!!! Lol!!OMG!!!:laugh: I was eternally obsessed!