The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Other Side Of The Mirror Tour Stories (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41590)

nailatixela 09-12-2009 07:05 PM

The Other Side Of The Mirror Tour Stories

Ladies and gentleman...from the other side of the mirror....Ms. Stevie Nicks!

Here's the next tour stories thread. This one is for TOSOTM tour. If you went to this tour, please tell us your story! Anything you remember from that day. :blob1:

This was the first (and last) time Stevie went to Europe for a solo tour. Where did you get to see her? How was she compared to previous tours? Anything you want to share please do.

fleetwoodtrick 09-12-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailatixela (Post 842188)
Ladies and gentleman...from the other side of the mirror....Ms. Stevie Nicks!

Here's the next tour stories thread. This one is for TOSOTM tour. If you went to this tour, please tell us your story! Anything you remember from that day. :blob1:

This was the first (and last) time Stevie went overseas for a solo tour, Where did you get to see her? How was she compared to previous tours? Anything you want to share please do.

I thought she went to Australia on the Crystal Visions tour or something close to that?

EnchantedKiwi 09-12-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick (Post 842196)
I thought she went to Australia on the Crystal Visions tour or something close to that?

She came in 2006 to Aus and Nz for her Gold Dust tour

trackaghost 09-13-2009 12:35 AM

The first concert I ever went to was Stevie at Wembley Arena on TOSOTM tour. At the time it was hugely exciting and enjoyable. Hearing the bootlegs years on it's pretty apparent that tour wasn't Stevie's greatest moment but I had nothing to compare it to at the time. I think I must have been the first person in my class at school to go to a rock concert though because, even though no one was a fan of FM or Stevie (a lot didn't even know who they were), I remember everyone being hugely interested in the fact I had gone to a concert.

Dodfather 09-13-2009 03:09 AM

I'm still waiting for Stevie to come to Europe on a solo tour again. I think we were really short changed over here with the Gold Dust/Crystal Visions tour...

nailatixela 09-13-2009 08:40 AM

Yes you are right, sorry about that. I meant to say this was the first and last time solo Stevie went to Europe.

jannieC 09-13-2009 10:44 AM

I saw her on this tour at Jones Beach too. This is the one that I confuse in my mind with the RAL show. Which is ridiculous, because if memory serves me, it was like night and day. I *think* I remember a lot of backstage time...enough so that it seemed obvious what she was up to. The Hooters opened up for her and they were pretty awful. Their sound was bad and I remember being worried that hers would be too. I bought an awesome sweatshirt at that show and I wish I still had it. It was white and had a black/white/gray Stevie face on it.

David 09-13-2009 10:53 AM

I had tickets for Concord Pavilion the night of the Loma Prieta quake. Stevie & her band were at the Pavilion for soundcheck & makeup & all that. As everyone probably remembers, the show was canceled.

But I saw the show the following night at Cal Expo Amphitheatre (it's really just a big field on the fairgrounds) in Sacratomato. For a 1989 gig, she & her group gave a pretty good performance. She mentioned the victims of the quake (many of whom were still lying under rubble on the Nimitz Freeway) a few times throughout the night, asking us to pray for them & to contribute to the Red Cross, a booth for which had been set up on the fairgrounds.

The following year at Cal Expo, on tour with Fleetwood, Stevie introduced Landslide by saying that the year prior there had been an earthquake in the Bay Area (Stevie, are you ****tin' me?) & that her band immediately got on a bus & headed to Sacramento -- presumably where it was "safe." It was a funny comment, intended to make the Sacratomato-ites feel good.

As an amateur seismologist, I like the way that earthquakes have played such an interesting role in the doings of Fleetwood Mac members, from 1971 & Jeremy Spencer's disappearance all the way up to Mick's permanent move to Hawaii a few years ago (someone forgot to tell Mick that Hawaii is one of the most seismically active states in the country).

Musicman408 09-13-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 842254)
I saw her on this tour at Jones Beach too. This is the one that I confuse in my mind with the RAL show. Which is ridiculous, because if memory serves me, it was like night and day. I *think* I remember a lot of backstage time...enough so that it seemed obvious what she was up to. The Hooters opened up for her and they were pretty awful. Their sound was bad and I remember being worried that hers would be too. I bought an awesome sweatshirt at that show and I wish I still had it. It was white and had a black/white/gray Stevie face on it.

In the 1986, or 1989 show?

GrahnNicks 09-13-2009 12:10 PM

I saw her in Stockholm Sweden and it was awful, sorry to say.
She was there but not there, if you know what I mean.

The reviews was'nt nice to her the day after:

"...a fat frog who can't sing..."
"...such an insult to her fans..."

Richard Marx opened the show for her and I bet half of the sold out Globe was there to see him, many people left during her show.

It was a nightmare.

StandbackStevie 09-13-2009 06:07 PM

I saw Stevie Nicks on The Other Side Of The Mirror Tour on Friday Sept. 8, 1989 and it was at Lake Compounce Amusement Park in Bristol, Connecticut this show is labeled as "the Famous Swearing Show" excellent show the hooters if i remember correctly were pretty good and Stevie looked and sounded great . Lake Compounce Security were pushy to the fans up front especially when stevie does the edge walk and she saw a security guard being agressive with a fan and she was yelling at him before she came to the microphone and when she finished her edge walk and went to the microphone she she said I am F____-P____ Off and apologizes about the venues security and didn't want to see her fans to get hurt and when she came back said I am F__--In Watching You and looking at the security guard first time hearing and probably the last time hearing Stevie swear at a concert torwards the venues security. I am not sure if its word for word its over 20 years ago it was my second solo stevie show but 4th concert i was 19 at the time and graduated high school that summer. This was an out doors venue with front section seating in front the stage i had an end center isle seat 18th row i believe. Stevie was mad that night at the venues security i definetly remember bough some cool shirts on that tour.It was probably close to a sold out crowd after the seated section its standing or laying on blankets probably venue can hold about 30,000 people I would say if not more this park no longer does concerts at the time it was the best place for a concert in connecticut it was outdoors no cover out in open.

michelej1 09-13-2009 06:19 PM

Here are a batch of interviews from that tour, including one where she talks about the earthquake.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39868

jannieC 09-13-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman408 (Post 842260)
In the 1986, or 1989 show?

I seem to remember this at both, but like I said, I have a tendency to mix these shows up in my mind. :shrug:

michelej1 09-13-2009 06:27 PM

Houston Chronicle, October 9, 1989

Section: HOUSTON

Stevie Nicks generates heat

MARTY RACINE

Out of the protective shadow of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks has grown into her own performer.

Nicks' mystical, ethereal vulnerability, which added another dimension and personality to a group format - especially a group so roundly psychoanalyzed in the press - was stripped to an unnerving awkwardness when she emerged as a solo artist with the 1981 album release of "Bella Donna".

Friday night in The Summit, the will o' the wisp had become a confident, even commanding pop singer as she fronted an eight-piece group that included her two longtime backup singers, Lori Perry-Nicks and Sharon Celani.

You couldn't miss her. Nicks used the overhead key lights with the scientific precision employed by a television studio - turning her huge mass of teased hair alternately gray, blue, purple and gold - and cut a sassy figure that brought to mind such damsels as Mae West, Dolly Parton, Bette Midler and Elvira.

Subtitle the plot: "Hollywood comes to The Summit." With remote cameras whirring and whizzing all over the place, the joint often looked like a movie set. Indeed, following the concert proper, Nicks repeated "Trouble" and "Two Kinds of Love" for a "performance" video shoot sure to crop up one day on MTV.

Why, the entire proceedings were positively videogenic.

Nicks is in the middle of a long tour promoting her 4-month-old "The Other Side of the Mirror" album, her first in three years. Despite the time lapse, apparently her fans did not forget, as some 8,000 turned out - a poor figure by Fleetwood Mac standards but not bad in today's more fragmented market in which a Bob Dylan or Jackson Browne draw half that.

The band, including arch-L.A. session drummer Russ Kunkel and ace guitarist Carlos Rios, was superb. Ordinarily, a superstar fronting a bunch of L.A. smoothies results in slick but bloodless pop-rock, too cool for school. This had slickness written all over it, but the undertow was rocking, glistening in the heat generated by Nick's taut, often deliciously wicked vocals.

And, whaddya know, it was a sound that didn't push frequencies to the distortion level in order to be "loud." In other words, this band did not have to cloak deficiencies in over-the-top decibels.

Nicks naturally steered most of her program to her three solo albums, mixing in the new "Rooms on Fire" with such other personal, fragile solo works as "Stand Back, Edge of Seventeen" and "Talk To Me". A roadie told me she doesn't do "Rhiannon" much in concert anymore - despite the fact that Fleetwood Mac's most popular song of the '70s was her composition.

Nevertheless, when push came to shove and it was time to get all hot and bothered, down and bluesy, she turned to a pulsating, riveting, fire-down-below, rock-me-all-night-long "Say You Love Me", another Fleetwood chestnut and the evening's highlight.

Of course, a damsel in the spotlight cannot but help making grand exits and entrances, and after every two or three songs Nicks would submerge herself into the shadows to prolonged applause, only to re-emerge triumphantly to the intro of the next number. Following one such exit only about halfway through the show, a concertgoer next to me even thought the set was over and it was encore time.

The dramatics, though, were kept to a minimum, and the entire package was wrapped in a state of class - no better demonstrated than by Celani and Perry-Nicks, the women in red, whose body language spoke volumes about sophistication and style, as opposed to the cheap, cheesy go-go antics of most backup singers.

When it was over, Nicks had performed two full hours (before the after-concert video shoot) and demonstrated that, once the music is right, there is no substitute in live rock 'n' roll for experience.

michelej1 09-13-2009 06:37 PM

Albany Times Union (NY), August 31, 1989

OPENING ACT LIVELIER THAN STEVIE NICKS

Martin Moynihan Staff writer

SARATOGA SPRINGS

If it's red, this must be "Rooms on Fire." Turquoise with mutton sleeves and black lace, it's "Two Kinds of Love." Black with silver applique, it's the famous "Stand Back."

With two drummers, two keyboardists, two guitarists, two backup singers and a truckload of fashion shawls, singer Stevie Nicks brought her show into town Tuesday night.

Blessed with an intriguing voice despite a not-notably great range, the former Fleetwood Mac lead singer steered her concert, which included a costume change between virtually every song, away from her impressive list of hits.

Instead, the 41-year-old Nicks worked her husky voice around the aforementioned cuts from her "Other Side of the Mirror" album. She did not perform such Fleetwood Mac hits as "Rhiannon" or "Sara," nor some of her solo hits such as "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around."

The amphitheater of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center was less than filled, and a fickle rain kept the lawn crowd thin. But crowds rose to the occasional rousing song in what otherwise was as much a fashion parade as a rock music show. "Stand Back" drew a standing ovation, as did "The Edge of 17."

Opening act the Hooters from Philadelphia offered a livelier set than the headliner. Their act showed off the band's musical versatility and willingness to do different things.

Songs about love dominated, of course, with blues and Cajun blending with driving rock.

The band's 45-minute set included hits "And We Danced" and "All You Zombies," probably the highlight of the set.

It was the Philadelphia band's debut at SPAC. They ended the set with a keyboardist Rob Hyman shouting, "Thank you Syracuse. I mean Saratoga." Doesn't matter. They'll be welcome the next time.

michelej1 09-13-2009 06:39 PM

Worcester Telegram & Gazette (MA), August 20, 1989

STEVIE NICKS' FANS SHOW LOVE FOR SINGER
John J. O'Connor; Staff Reporter

MANSFIELD MANSFIELD - There was a lot of love at the Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts last night, and it was all aimed at Stevie Nicks.

The blonde performer, whose career hit the bigtime with legendary rock group Fleetwood Mac, knew how to entertain last night's sold out audience of 15,000.

Much of the audience was on its feet before Stevie walked out on stage and many remained standing, dancing or rocking with the performer through her 1:45 show.

The rock star last night performed many songs from her first album in more that three years, "The Other Side of the Mirror." They included "Alice," "Two Kinds of Love," and "Rooms on Fire."

She also performed many of her rock hits such as her Fleetwood Mac "Dreams."

Stevie moved very slowly around the stage while performing and did not seem to have the energy and pep of her backup singers and band.

Between songs, she would disappear behind the stage to put on a new hat or a new top to her basic black dress.

The performer has been known for her love of gauze and lace. Many women in the audience arrived at the show imitating Stevie's outfits.

She did not seem to realize she had such an adoring audience in front ofher until after several songs, stopping to say "thank you."

However at the end of her performance, she moved to the front of the stage and worked her way across the entire platform, smiling shaking hands and accepting flowers and stuffed animals from her fans.

Although her fans were with her all the way, they seemed to respond to "Whole Lotta Trouble" and "Two Kinds of Love," which she performed toward the end of her show.

At this point of show, Stevie also seemed to respond to the audience and looked as if she were enjoying herself.

michelej1 09-13-2009 06:53 PM

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO), September 16, 1989

STEVIE NICKS' SPACEY GYPSY SHTICK IS GETTING OLD

Doug Carroll
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff

WHAT DO YOU get when you cross late-period Elvis with Mae West?

You get someone who looks like Stevie Nicks - and, one hopes, is capable of putting on a better show than she did Thursday evening in the Muny's last concert of the summer.

The fact that Nicks drew a capacity crowd to the outdoor Forest Park theater was an attendance stunner matched only by the Cardinals-Pirates game that sold only 1,500 tickets earlier in the day.

Who were these people? Old Fleetwood Mac fans? Folks who couldn't get decent Stones or circus tickets? Gentlemen who prefer blondes? It's hard to say, but Nicks gave them a sappy, lackluster 90 minutes that was long on costume changes and short on just about everything else. Her voice still sounds like someone singing into an electric fan, but that isn't the half of it.

Nicks won't give up her spacey gypsy shtick and has become almost a self-parody at 41. She still dresses much like Yvonne DeCarlo in "The Munsters," and she changed her flowing cape after almost every song, in the grand Liberace tradition. If you're keeping score at home, the colors were red, yellow, blue, white, lavender, white (with sequins), black (with gold dots), aqua and ivory. And don't forget the top hat and tails or the monk-like thing she wore while doing her encore, "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You?"

How's this for profound? Before calling it a night, Nicks told the crowd: "On this, the 20th anniversary of Woodstock, I'd like you to remember the ones who are no longer with us. They were poets, priests and legends." Earth to Stevie, Earth to Stevie.

Nicks' band of eight was decent enough. Robert Martin did some nice work on saxophone, French horn and keyboards and sang on the duet "Two Kinds of Love," from Nicks' current album "The Other Side of the Mirror." Peter Michael, Sheila E's brother, contributed a clever percussion solo in which he played drumstick pitch-and-catch with a stagehand. And backing vocalists Sharon Celani and Lori Perry Nicks (a sister-in-law) sinned only on "Rooms on Fire," when they donned red capes to match their leader.

The song list was a curious one, leaving off such solo hits as "Talk to Me," "I Can't Wait" and "If Anyone Falls," yet including Fleetwood Mac standards "Dreams" and "Gold Dust Woman." Nicks' duet hits "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (recorded with Tom Petty) and "Leather and Lace" (with Don Henley) also weren't heard. A 13-song set is a little on the skimpy side from such an artist.

"Edge of Seventeen," from Nicks' 1981 solo debut "Bella Donna," dragged on interminably when she decided to work the front row, shaking hands and accepting a satin Cardinals jacket, among other things.

The Hooters, a Philadelphia band that hasn't been heard from in a while, opened the show with a 45-minute set that included material from their forthcoming album, "Zig Zag." The group, which has had a few medium hits, is led by a couple of versatile musicians in Rob Hyman and Eric Bazilian but had some difficulty overcoming bad sound.

Readers Respond , September 22, 1989:

It's a real shame that Doug Carroll, as evidenced in his Sept. 16 review, didn't enjoy the Stevie Nicks concert. I think it's more of a shame that he chose to slam the entire audience by saying we must all have been people who couldn't get decent "Stones or circus tickets." He asked, "Who were all these people?" The answer: devoted Stevie Nicks fans.

We all expected to see her and her unusual, ethereal style of appearance and performing that Carroll chose to call "spacey gypsy shtick." I wish I knew what Carroll expected - a gritty, down-to-earth rock show stamped out of the same mold as all the others? If so, I can see why he was disappointed, because Nicks is a creative songwriter and performer with her own style. The gowns, capes and hats that she wore are her signature. A Stevie Nicks show without that would be like Mick Jagger without tight pants.

As for the drawn-out version of "Edge of 17," this is also something expected by her audience. She has carried on this tradition beginning with the "Bella Donna" tour. It's a very giving artist who will take time out from a show to let her fans know how important they are to her. The many people who bring gifts for this rock legend would be very disappointed if they never got the chance to present them to her.

On one point I must agree with Carroll. I would have liked to hear a few more songs. I am aware, however, that Nicks is a perfectionist, and if songs weren't performed, I'm sure she had her reasons.

On behalf of all her fans at the show, I would like to thank Nicks for a fine evening filled with magic and fantasy, and to Carroll, may I say I'm sorry you didn't join us on the other side of the mirror.

Mickie Schwartz-Hodges, O'Fallon, Mo.

I can't remember the last time I've read a rock review as funny and acerbic as Doug Carroll's Sept. 16 review of the Stevie Nicks concert. I attended her concert with my girlfriend, and because of Nicks' many costume changes, we weren't certain whether we had attended a concert or a fashion show.

Carroll's description of Nicks as a cross between Elvis, Mae West and a Munsterish Yvonne DeCarlo was right on the mark. Also, his description of her singing style as something akin to singing into an electric fan was hilarious. Great review. Kudos to Carroll.

Larry Blandino, Florissant

After reading his Sept. 16 diatribe about her concert, I have no doubt that Doug Carroll is not and has never been a fan of Stevie Nicks. Who were these people? I'd say the rest of us in the capacity crowd were and are fans. Her voice still sounds like someone singing into an electric fan? Has Carroll been expecting her voice to change? If he doesn't like the sound of her voice, why on Earth would he go to one of her concerts?

I'd say Carroll was the one who couldn't get circus tickets, or the Post-Dispatch sent him to the concert on assignment. If the latter is true, the Post should make assignments more carefully.

Douglas Romanko, Godfrey

daniellaaarisen 09-13-2009 08:08 PM

Hmmm. This thread is interesting. I'm curious as to whether the tour started well and ended badly.... or if there was any other type of pattern? I'm guessing Klonopin has something to do with it. TOSOTM era isn't all too interesting to me but it does mark quite the transition period.

iamnotafraid 09-14-2009 12:56 AM

Stevie stood me up on this tour.
And I had some sweet seats!

BombaySapphire3 09-14-2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 842294)

Nevertheless, when push came to shove and it was time to get all hot and bothered, down and bluesy, she turned to a pulsating, riveting, fire-down-below, rock-me-all-night-long "Say You Love Me", another Fleetwood chestnut and the evening's highlight.

WTF? Can anyone confirm that she ever performed that song in concert?I saw her on that tour albeit in California and it was never done here.I don't think she ever has performed it .It would seem nearly as preposterous as Christine performing Rhiannon IMO.

nailatixela 09-14-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 842353)
WTF? Can anyone confirm that she ever performed that song in concert?I saw her on that tour albeit in California and it was never done here.I don't think she ever has performed it .It would seem nearly as preposterous as Christine performing Rhiannon IMO.

I'm sure she didn't, and that was just a mistake.

michelej1 09-14-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 842353)

Well, it's not only funny that she sang it, but hysterical that it was pulsating, riveting and fire-down-below.

That's why she doesn't sing it in her solo sets more often. She knows she can't always make it that hot!

Have mercy on a poor fool like me.

Michele

nailatixela 09-14-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 842387)
Well, it's not only funny that she sang it, but hysterical that it was pulsating, riveting and fire-down-below.

That's why she doesn't sing it in her solo sets more often. She knows she can't always make it that hot!

Have mercy on a poor fool like me.

Michele

LOL yes it is funny to imagine SYLM with that much passion! Even better when it's Stevie in 1989. :lol: I wonder what song they could have confused it with?

michelej1 09-14-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailatixela (Post 842393)
LOL yes it is funny to imagine SYLM with that much passion! Even better when it's Stevie in 1989. :lol: I wonder what song they could have confused it with?

Maybe he meant HSML.

Michele

petep9000 09-14-2009 06:26 PM

I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie. Oh, and Frankenbocs made their first appearance on this tour. I think I remember 'Alice' being sort of pretty, with the wind from the Atlantic ocean blowing her microphone ribbons.
Funny how that breeze can make a memory for me there, I also have a mental image of her fluttering at the end of the stage in that same Atlantic ocean breeze on the 'Enchanted' tour, during 'Twisted' especially the nice bridge part. The wind blew her billowing gypsy robes, and the ribbons on her tamborine. She couldn't have planned that better.

jannieC 09-14-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petep9000 (Post 842408)
I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie. Oh, and Frankenbocs made their first appearance on this tour. I think I remember 'Alice' being sort of pretty, with the wind from the Atlantic ocean blowing her microphone ribbons.
Funny how that breeze can make a memory for me there, I also have a mental image of her fluttering at the end of the stage in that same Atlantic ocean breeze on the 'Enchanted' tour, during 'Twisted' especially the nice bridge part. The wind blew her billowing gypsy robes, and the ribbons on her tamborine. She couldn't have planned that better.

I love that we were both at the same show. :xoxo:

See, I don't remember her outfits being heinous; maybe because it was just a reflection of the times?

David 09-14-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petep9000 (Post 842408)
I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie.

Remember that dorky dance the whole band did as they were kicking off Edge of 17? It was like watching a mambo line form aboard a cruise ship.

petep9000 09-14-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 842410)
I love that we were both at the same show. :xoxo:

See, I don't remember her outfits being heinous; maybe because it was just a reflection of the times?

I think it was really my own reaction, and not that the outfits themselves were so heinous. She was doing a Victoria's Secret, silky sexy but all covered up look. And I guess, it all went with the whole OSOTM story with it's tinkles and sprinkles and castles. She wore pieces of them again for the BTM '90 tour with FM and also for the '91 'Whole Lotta Trouble' tour.

Janet we might have even sat near each other, can you imagine? Was that you making the "woooooooo!!!!!!" noise every time Stevie rattled her half-moon tambo? Come on, you can tell me...:laugh:

petep9000 09-14-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 842413)
Remember that dorky dance the whole band did as they were kicking off Edge of 17? It was like watching a mambo line form aboard a cruise ship.

David was the dorky dance on that tour? I thought the dorky dance was during 'Whole Lotta Trouble' 2 years later, on the tour of the same name. I remember being so embarrassed for the singers, they looked like they hated it.

Glittermoondust 09-14-2009 08:52 PM

I saw this show in Wisconsin..... Alpine Valley I believe........ I remember my husband was in the service so this was the only time seeing Stevie when she wasn't in Michigan.... I remember paying a ticket broker for I think it was 4th row tickets.... I had just had my son about 2 or 3 weeks before and I remember just being so tired and wanting to leave........ I wanted to bring in my big zoom lens camera but figured I would never get it in and low and behold we just walked into the venue--no one even checked us--it was kind of strange actually........ we had a disposable camera but the pictures turned out super dark and Stevie looked like an ant :distress: I remember my husband trying to get me to shake Stevie's hand for the Edge walk but I just sat in my seat and was sooooo ready to go home...... having a baby will do that to you sometimes I guess!! LOL! My first up close concert and a chance to shake Stevie's hand and I so wasn't into it :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure she sang Juliet if I remember correctly though because that was my very favorite (and still is) OSOTM song and I remember being happy I got to hear it live :p

wheart 09-15-2009 11:15 AM

the '89 show was my first time seeing Stevie. I remember like it was yesterday in my seat with my brother just staring at her mic stand, with all the ribbons, etc. I was mesmerized before the show even started. I also remember looking through that wonderful tourbook and I was just speechless. The show, however, was a tad bit disappointing. Not horrible but not what I had hoped for. First of all, she came out in the boks. Back then, she wore the boots and only the boots so when I saw those I was a little confused. She looked heavy, her hair was an enormous cloud of blond cotton candy and she didn't move at all, except to change clothes. I believe her foot was broken so its understandable why she didn't move but again, I was expecting something different entirely. But, it was magical nontheless for me since it was my first experience seeing her live. Her voice sounded great and she belted out the "And I thought that there was a connection" part on HAEWAFY. I remember the merchandise being really cool, too for this tour.

amoscascott 09-16-2009 10:07 AM

I rememeber that this tour was the first where Stevie didn't do the edge walk. It was on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Very weird set-up, and I am glad that it was there for only that summer. She played at Bally's Park Place, but they had the stage set up on the actual boardwalk. The sides were covered with tarps, but anyone could at least hear the concert. I am not good with dates though, but I do rememeber that this show was after the 2 shows that I got to see at Jones Beach the previous 2 nights. I drove down from Jones Beach after the show and stayed at Bally's. I remember running into Christopher as well in the elevator. He was surprised that I had seen a few shows already on this tour. I was wearing my sweatshirt from the tour and he asked where I got it. I was also lucky enough to have been at both of the Garden State Arts Center shows in September of that year, as well as the show in Phili at the Mann Music Center.

If I am not mistaken, this was the first show on the tour where the tour books arrived. I remember waiting for them to come in and Christopher pulling them out of the box and giving me one of the first ones. I was happy. I think it was also at this show where I gave Stevie a huge painting that I did. It was also at this show that someone I was hanging in the parking lot with, let me hear the extended version of Sara. It was my first time hearing it. I wish I could remember which shows I gave Stevie a few of those dancing flowers that she had on stage with her.

IKV Nexis 09-16-2009 11:15 AM

August 22, 1989 Ottawa Ontario, Canada at Landsdown Park (at that time home of the Ottawa Rough Riders CFL team) It was during the Ottawa Exhibition and Fair. This is NOT the best venue for a concert. It's an outdoor Field with lousy wood bench seats. The stage was almost center field so not a chance to get close for the edge walk. The opening band was The Hooters. Not a bad band but dull as dishwater. It was almost like listening to a recording. They made no attempt to interact or engage the audience.
Then Stevie came out she was so far away you could barley see any detail and my seats were not that far away. She seemed out of it unfortunately and it was said she had laryngitis and spoke very little between songs. And it started to rain. It was not the best show and unfortunately that was the only time she was here until this current tour (which was WAY BETTER!!!). Apparently it is said that after the concert she got stung by a bee backstage ouch! LOL.

vivfox 09-16-2009 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=IKV Nexis;842644]August 22, 1989 Ottawa Ontario, Canada at Landsdown Park. She seemed out of it unfortunately and it was said she had laryngitis and spoke very little between songs. And it started to rain. It was not the best show and unfortunately that was the only time she was here until this current tour (which was WAY BETTER!!!). Apparently it is said that after the concert she got stung by a bee backstage ouch! LOL.[/QUOTE]

I bet THAT cured her laryngitis! Screaming in pain at the top of her lungs.:laugh:

Nikolaj 09-17-2009 12:59 AM

Saw the tour at The Greek in LA with my best, beautiful friend, Rea, she loved Stevie as much as I did. We got front row, day of the show, Rea had a friend at the box office who hooked us up. Yet, there were like maybe five or so rows before the front row, that bummed us out. Pit seats, maybe? I don't recall the Greek seating very well, just that it was a real kewl venue, a lot smaller than the Forum or the US festival where I'd seen Stevie or Mac on other tours.
I remember 'Two Kinds of Love', 'Alice' and 'Rooms on Fire' as the new songs performed, and I thought they were bad choices, would have loved 'Long Way To Go', 'Doing The Best That I Can' and really almost any other song from the cd. I think 'Whole Lotta Trouble' got done, but I also saw Stevie at the Greek on the 'Timespace' tour and maybe it was done for both tours, or only on 'Timespace', for the Greek shows. I had been looking forward to hearing 'Juliet' live but by the time the tour hit The Greek, 'Juliet' had been axed.
Many costume changes, big shoulder pads, kinda less Stevie-ish and more Alice in Wonderland, somehow. Rea was fixated on Sharon Celani's eyes ("How can you say you don't see those Barbara Bush eyes, she's tripping, totally!") I think those were probably just Sharon's eyes and she wasn't actually tripping that night; my vision was already going by my mid-20s, I think I'd lost my contacts and wouldn't wear glasses to a concert, then. (like anyone was there to see how I looked! Youth and vanity...) I remember Stevie's "I thought there was a connection" ending to 'Has Anyone Ever Written' and Rea screaming "WHAT did she say????"- she just didn't get that ending, at all. I've often wondered if there were any bootleg audios of that show with Rea's loud Greek/Southern accent screaming 'what???' at The Greek Theater at the end of 'Has Anyone Ever Written'...
Rea was mildly pissed cuz she'd given me a bowl of primo pot to hold onto, and when she took out her pipe, I had lost the bowl somewhere between the tour merchandise stands and our seats. Bad of me. I later made it up to her :) But we were lookin forward to that buzz...The show seemed short. I don't remember The Hooters at all... I wonder if they also were the opening act at the Greek for the Timespace tour, I somehow think so, but don't remember for sure.
I recall some music industry type in his late 30s grumbling to his date as we were walking down that huge hill from the venue to the far away parking lot "That was a lot of nonsense." But Rea and I liked the show and were thrilled to be so close, yet puzzled how front row wasn't front row at The Greek.
(I do recall that I liked the 'Timespace' show at the Greek more than the OSOTM tour, though they were quite similar. I liked the 'Timespace' band a lot and thought the band breathed quite a bit of new life into the by now 'getting to be very familiar' songs and order of when they were performed).

petep9000 09-17-2009 08:40 AM

I remember 'The Hooters' and enjoying their set. They were pretty big when I was in 10th grade (about 1986) and it was fun to hear the songs live. I like the sound of the mandolin and hooter combined with the regular guitar, bass, keys of a rock band. It made them different, and I remember a really large beach ball being tossed around the audience during their set.

jannieC 09-17-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petep9000 (Post 842741)
I remember 'The Hooters' and enjoying their set. They were pretty big when I was in 10th grade (about 1986) and it was fun to hear the songs live. I like the sound of the mandolin and hooter combined with the regular guitar, bass, keys of a rock band. It made them different, and I remember a really large beach ball being tossed around the audience during their set.

But wasn't their sound system kind of crappy? Oh, and that WAS me saying woo. God, if only we had known- we could have cried together during HAEWAFY.

Musicman408 09-17-2009 11:15 AM

Thanks to all of your for sharing your very interesting stories!

David 09-17-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 842710)
Saw the tour at The Greek in LA with my best, beautiful friend, Rea, she loved Stevie as much as I did. We got front row, day of the show, Rea had a friend at the box office who hooked us up. Yet, there were like maybe five or so rows before the front row, that bummed us out. Pit seats, maybe? I don't recall the Greek seating very well, just that it was a real kewl venue, a lot smaller than the Forum or the US festival where I'd seen Stevie or Mac on other tours.

Did you know that there is video of most of the Greek show?

petep9000 09-17-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 842744)
But wasn't their sound system kind of crappy? Oh, and that WAS me saying woo. God, if only we had known- we could have cried together during HAEWAFY.

I knew it! You're a woo girl!