The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alec Baldwin - 2007 Father of the Year....NOT!!! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=32319)

estranged4life 04-21-2007 01:12 PM

Alec Baldwin - 2007 Father of the Year....NOT!!!

Angry voice mail from Baldwin goes public

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18220258/

‘30 Rock’ star calls his 11-year-old daughter ‘a rude, thoughtless little pig’

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The festering bad blood between movie-star exes Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger erupted Thursday when an angry phone message from Baldwin to his daughter was made public.

On the recording, Baldwin can be heard admonishing his 11-year-old, Ireland: “You are a rude, thoughtless little pig.

You don’t have the brains or the decency as a human being,” he says, apparently upset that she did not answer her phone for a planned call.

I don’t give a damn that you’re 12 years old, or 11 years old, or that you’re a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn’t care about what you do as far as I’m concerned. You have humiliated me for the last time with this phone.

He goes on to say that he plans to fly from New York to Los Angeles “for the day just to straighten you out on this issue.

The recording was published by celebrity news site TMZ.com, which said that the call was placed on April 11.

Baldwin’s spokesman said in a statement Thursday that “in the best interest of the child,” the 49-year-old actor “will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order.

The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order,” he continued. “Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years.

The voice mail speaks for itself,” Basinger’s spokeswoman said.

Calls to Basinger’s attorneys were not returned. Her spokeswoman also did not return calls. Baldwin’s attorney also did not return a call seeking comment.

Baldwin and Basinger, 53, were married in 1993. They have been involved in prolonged legal disputes over custody and other issues since she filed for divorce in 2001, which was granted in 2002. The couple’s differences have been aired several times in public.

Basinger was charged with contempt of court in October for violating terms of a 2004 custody agreement. A motion by her lawyers to dismiss the charges was denied Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. The next hearing on visitation issues is scheduled for May 4.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

estranged4life 04-21-2007 01:19 PM

More like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD (Post 681900)
TedDansonInAHat ? :rolleyes:

AlecBaldwinNotAParent

markolas 04-21-2007 01:20 PM

Oh please, my mother's favorite epithet for me was "you ungrateful little bastard," from the time I was about 6. I must be really ungrateful now, as I refuse to have anything to do with her, but who cares? :rolleyes: It doesn't look like Basinger is the best parent in the world either.

estranged4life 04-21-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markolas (Post 681903)
Oh please, my mother's favorite epithet for me was "you ungrateful little bastard," from the time I was about 6. I must be really ungrateful now, as I refuse to have anything to do with her, but who cares? :rolleyes: It doesn't look like Basinger is the best parent in the world either.

They're both those dumb-as-lint "Hollywood Types", they BADLY need the publicity at this time in the sunset of their career...Cause otherwise who could give a flying vertical f**k about 'em? :lol:

strandinthewind 04-21-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Oh please, my mother's favorite epithet for me was "you ungrateful little bastard," . . . .

Her too :p

I agree, Bassigner is a fukcing Cee Uou Next Tuesday for doing this. Clearly, she used her kid to trap Baldwin and then she leaked it to the press. I know people who knew them when they lived together in NYC and they said the paramedics had to be called often because they would beat the hell out of each other - nice :rolleyes:

Mari 04-21-2007 01:56 PM

what a ****ing bastard.

carrie721 04-21-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

are you saying that because she said that to you, it's okay that alec b. said that **** to his daughter? :shrug:

jannieC 04-21-2007 02:29 PM

I think what he said to his daughter was pretty rough but I also think that all parents make massive mistakes. That tape never should have made it to the public- it's absolutely none of our business.

markolas 04-21-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estranged4life (Post 681909)
They're both those dumb-as-lint "Hollywood Types", they BADLY need the publicity at this time in the sunset of their career...Cause otherwise who could give a flying vertical f**k about 'em? :lol:

I still don't give a fukc about them, and never did. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 681924)
are you saying that because she said that to you, it's okay that alec b. said that **** to his daughter? :shrug:

No, I'm saying that a bigger deal is being made out of it than it really is, especially since it looks like Basinger may have set this up and then leaked it to the press.

DrummerDeanna 04-21-2007 02:41 PM

Parents yell at their kids. Sometimes parents yell very ****ty things at their kids ....kids (ESPECIALLY pre-teens and teens) are assholes. This was probably the end result of a hell of a lot of frustration, hurt and anger. And the mother of the kid is playing it for all it's worth.

I don't even think the message was that bad...I have heard worse between mothers and daughters in dressing rooms for God's sake.

carrie721 04-21-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna (Post 681928)
Parents yell at their kids. Sometimes parents yell very ****ty things at their kids ....kids (ESPECIALLY pre-teens and teens) are assholes. This was probably the end result of a hell of a lot of frustration, hurt and anger. And the mother of the kid is playing it for all it's worth.

I don't even think the message was that bad...I have heard worse between mothers and daughters in dressing rooms for God's sake.

i have to disagree ... i think what he said was terrible. but i agree with jannie, we were never supposed to hear it, and even good parents make huge mistakes.

DrummerDeanna 04-21-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 681930)
i have to disagree ... i think what he said was terrible. but i agree with jannie, we were never supposed to hear it, and even good parents make huge mistakes.

Really? I really don't think it was all that bad :shrug: Considering what the situation is...granted, he shouldn't treat her like that all the time, but I doubt he does, I think it was a blow up....and oh, yeah, the name calling thing was a bit extreme actually...and I totally agree that the it was something we were never supposed to hear. Whoever leaked it, in my opinion, had a very clear objective, knew what they were doing and it was a complete asshole move.

rbs3676 04-21-2007 03:08 PM

In the end, its that poor kid who is going to suffer. Aside from all the other BS she must have to endure in her life, the public laundering of all of this is going to haunt her forever. Both Basinger and Baldwin are ****ing assholes as far as I am concerned.

rbs

carrie721 04-21-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna (Post 681931)
Really? I really don't think it was all that bad :shrug: Considering what the situation is...granted, he shouldn't treat her like that all the time, but I doubt he does, I think it was a blow up....and oh, yeah, the name calling thing was a bit extreme actually...and I totally agree that the it was something we were never supposed to hear. Whoever leaked it, in my opinion, had a very clear objective, knew what they were doing and it was a complete asshole move.

well as far as i can tell, all the girl did was fail to answer her phone - if other things were going on between alec & kim, he shouldn't have taken them out on the daughter. the name calling is just way over the top - that is so damaging to a kid.

i think that whoever leaked it, tho, is scum.

goldustsongbird 04-21-2007 03:48 PM

I don't think it's such a huge deal. :shrug: It feels like there's something missing from this story. For all we know, Ireland could be the biggest brat ever. I don't know if he really should've said that her mom was a thoughtless pain in the ass, though...

strandinthewind 04-21-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 681926)
I think what he said to his daughter was pretty rough but I also think that all parents make massive mistakes. That tape never should have made it to the public- it's absolutely none of our business.

I mean could you imagine going through a divorce and having to schedule specific times via a court Order to speak to your daughter because your wife makes her unavailable. Then, during those times, the wife (which clearly is the case here unless Ireland hates her father, which there is no evidence of) makes her unavailable even during those times. That stress would madden the best of us. Of course, his anger was misdirected because an 11 year old cannot really be responsible for her actions. But, when I did divorce law, my experience was the parents use kids as a tool to hurt each other and/or as a financial means all the time. It truly is sickening.

DrummerDeanna 04-21-2007 04:18 PM

Right? She's 11...and the kid of very very rich people. AND in the middle of a custody battle with two ****ed up parents...and she's 11...evil age, 11. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 681934)
well as far as i can tell, all the girl did was fail to answer her phone - if other things were going on between alec & kim, he shouldn't have taken them out on the daughter. the name calling is just way over the top - that is so damaging to a kid.

i think that whoever leaked it, tho, is scum.

I guess from what I gathered he'd set up a time to call and talk to her. And he'd done that repeatedly in the past, and has again and again been blown off in the same fashion. I mean if I set up a time to call and talk with someone and their phone is off...I'd be pissed. If it was a kid and if this happened repeatedly and if you feel that the other parent is doing their darndest to alienate you - it's going to boil over. So I guess I can just sort of see where Baldwin is coming from in all this.

Have I mentioned how much I hate myself for even putting this much thought into the whole thing? :laugh:

But you're right about the name calling, that will probably stay with her forever...and someone else above is right, the one who really loses in all this is the kid (even though she's an evil 11 ;) )

strandinthewind 04-21-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna (Post 681952)
. . . I guess from what I gathered he'd set up a time to call and talk to her. And he'd done that repeatedly in the past, and has again and again been blown off in the same fashion. I mean if I set up a time to call and talk with someone and their phone is off...I'd be pissed. If it was a kid and if this happened repeatedly and if you feel that the other parent is doing their darndest to alienate you - it's going to boil over. So I guess I can just sort of see where Baldwin is coming from in all this . . . .

I'd bet a billion dollars Kim's lawyer and she purposefully did not make Ireland available more than once hoping to trigger Alec Baldwin into something like this. Now, he's lost custody and she may have to pay some fine, which will be nothing to her.

BlackWidow 04-21-2007 06:16 PM

the "little pig" part was bad...

Serrart 04-21-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 681912)
Her too :p

I agree, Bassigner is a fukcing Cee Uou Next Tuesday for doing this. Clearly, she used her kid to trap Baldwin and then she leaked it to the press. I know people who knew them when they lived together in NYC and they said the paramedics had to be called often because they would beat the hell out of each other - nice :rolleyes:

I agree, it sounds like a trap but a father that speaks like that to a 11 years old is far worse, IMO.

Romy

catinthedark 04-21-2007 07:50 PM

i thought it was pretty mean when i read the transcript.

when i heard it, i almost died.

there is a big difference. and as someone who has heard that tone and those kinds of words on an answering machine message from my father, i can tell you, that poor child will not ever, ever forget it. the ugliness, the meanness, the hatred, the selfishness. it made my stomach turn.

i think it's disgusting that bassigner and/or her lawyer leaked it. the child will also suffer the effects of that kind of animosity between two parents.

i don't care how much a brat she may or may not be (clearly, she has had no example on how to behave from her parents). she is the child. they are the adults (or supposed to be). i hope there are some smart aunts or uncles or grandparents in her life who will teach her and guide her towards the counselling she will no doubt need at some point.

Musicman408 04-21-2007 08:15 PM

When I first heard this, I thought he was talking to a publicist or whatever and then when I found out he was talking to his DAUGHTER like that........ No words could describe it. :eek: :shocked: :distress:

carrie721 04-21-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthedark (Post 682010)
i thought it was pretty mean when i read the transcript.

when i heard it, i almost died.

there is a big difference. and as someone who has heard that tone and those kinds of words on an answering machine message from my father, i can tell you, that poor child will not ever, ever forget it. the ugliness, the meanness, the hatred, the selfishness. it made my stomach turn.

i think it's disgusting that bassigner and/or her lawyer leaked it. the child will also suffer the effects of that kind of animosity between two parents.

i don't care how much a brat she may or may not be (clearly, she has had no example on how to behave from her parents). she is the child. they are the adults (or supposed to be). i hope there are some smart aunts or uncles or grandparents in her life who will teach her and guide her towards the counselling she will no doubt need at some point.

yeah, i just heard it this evening. ridiculous and pathetic. :distress:

DrummerDeanna 04-21-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 682030)
yeah, i just heard it this evening. ridiculous and pathetic. :distress:

Oh...you hadn't heard it earlier?

So I was thinking about this today. And I've decided that my feeling that it's not that bad is yet another indication that I should never...ever have children!

markolas 04-21-2007 09:48 PM

Come on, none of your parents ever yelled at you or called you a name when you were little? I'm guessing some of you would **** if I told you I used to get spanked with a fly swatter...the wire end, sometimes.

Yes, it was assholish for him to do that, but he was probably goaded into it so Basinger could leak the conversation to the media, which is assholish, too.

carrie721 04-21-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markolas (Post 682042)
Come on, none of your parents ever yelled at you or called you a name when you were little? I'm guessing some of you would **** if I told you I used to get spanked with a fly swatter...the wire end, sometimes.

Yes, it was assholish for him to do that, but he was probably goaded into it so Basinger could leak the conversation to the media, which is assholish, too.

my parents called me plenty of **** and i got smacked around too and worse. doesn't mean i don't think anything of it when i see it happen to other people.

carrie721 04-21-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna (Post 682036)
Oh...you hadn't heard it earlier?

So I was thinking about this today. And I've decided that my feeling that it's not that bad is yet another indication that I should never...ever have children!

no, i just read it. i didn't hear it until a few hours ago.

sparky 04-21-2007 10:10 PM

My parents never, ever spoke to me like this. Or to each other. In fact, I never heard either of them talk like this to another human being. Let alone a child. They made other mistakes, and certainly my father did some mighty damaging things to his kids, but not this kind of verbal attack.

Sure parents get pissed at their kids, but this is pretty harsh. It is an ugly situation in every way. Both those people have horrific reputations (though I will say I have worked with Alec and he was a total pro in that instance). Divorce is almost always awful for kids. Some of us may have been through worse, but this still is not good for a child to hear. Obviously it is a drop in the bucket compared to the **** storm she lives in. If either side has decent grand parents she'd probably be better off with them.

Anyone who calls their kid a pig, says they are worthless, or berates them in a similar manner ought to have their friggin tongue cut out, IMO. Kids are resilient, but that doesn't mean they don't scar.

catinthedark 04-21-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markolas (Post 682042)

so are you saying that you think it's normal, like, no big deal, if parents call their kids names and abuse them mentally and verbally? do you think, if that IS what you believe, you have that attitude because that was normal in your world?

it was normal in my world, too. but i learned, thankfully, that it is NOT normal in most kids' worlds, and nor should it be. yes, parents yell at kids every so often. but when it is constant, the norm, or includes abusive name calling, it is NOT normal. we don't call our friends and colleagues names and yell and scream at them. why is it okay to do to our kids?

BombaySapphire3 04-22-2007 04:45 AM

Having had a kind of an abusive asshole for a father I can empathize with the girl..I wouldn't have wanted to take his calls either.

danax6 04-22-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthedark (Post 682052)
so are you saying that you think it's normal, like, no big deal, if parents call their kids names and abuse them mentally and verbally? do you think, if that IS what you believe, you have that attitude because that was normal in your world?

WORD.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it alright to happen to other people also. I don't really get that supposed logic. My mother terrorized my life for years also after SHE ran off and left me and my sister to live with my dad. My dad never came anywhere close to what Kim Basinger is doing, except trying to stay away from my crazy mom as far as possible, but she still managed to weazle herself in here and there and her favorite method of abuse was the mental/verbal one. I, too, have heard this **** Alec Baldwin spewed at his daughter, but I am still digusted by it. I would never say 'so, what, I've heard worse' and therefore don't think this is a big deal.

However, I also think we're not getting the whole story here.

Mari 04-22-2007 07:53 AM

I'll join the line of people here who've had similar experiences and say this is verbal abuse.
But I changed channels when I heard some of it on CNN, I did not need to actually hear that. And I don't need to know more about it.. it's their personal lives. I really really hope they sort it out in the best interest of the girl, but this over-the-top media attention just feels wrong to me. Just imagine being that girl right now?

Sorceress 04-22-2007 08:56 AM

I know I certainly wouldn't want to take calls from my dad either if this is how he talked to me! I don't care how bratty a child is or how angry a child makes a parent, parents are responsible for controlling themselves. Stuff like this stays with a kid, even if it's only a once in a while thing. Not only does it hurt, it fukcs with self image and identity as children grow, and then impacts future relationships.

I didn't get anything close to this from my dad--he just told me I was fat every once in a while and tried to preach to me constantly about his wacky religious beliefs. And I can see how even that has affected me to this day. I think part of parents' jobs--along with raising their kids to be decent people--is to try to leave their children with as few scars, and to a lesser extent, issues to work out later in life, as possible.

It's really amazing how narcissistic Mr. Baldwin is being about this too... As if we're supposed to feel sorry that he's been "put through so much." Yeah, verbal abuse is not okay, no matter how screwed up your relationship with your ex is. Adults need to conduct themselves as such, straighten out their messy relationships, and leave their kids out of it. (That goes for Ms. Basinger too, though if she is trying to protect her child from a pattern of damaging behavior, she deserves some leeway).

mylittledemon 04-23-2007 12:37 PM

Regardless of how bad of child this girl might be...the sad thing is, that girl will forever remember those words.

skcin 04-23-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 682284)
Regardless of how bad of child this girl might be...the sad thing is, that girl will forever remember those words.

She'll always remember that the whole world heard those word too.

MacMan 04-23-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

This I absolutely agree with - and to think this is everywhere as friggin NEWS!!! And on the "entertainment shows" as entertainment... :rolleyes:

I don't think his wife had anything to do with leaking it... but I bet she saved it and submitted it to her lawyers as part of whatever they are dealing with in their case... and that's probably where the leak came from.

DrummerDeanna 04-23-2007 05:57 PM

^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it.

Oh and I read this article which I agree with:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=259626&GT1=7701

jannieC 04-23-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna (Post 682422)
^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it.

Interesting article- thank you for posting it.

strandinthewind 04-23-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

^^

Oh I totally think she leaked it...or at least knew about it/had something to do with it. . . . [/url]

There is no way her lawyers would have it unless she gave it to them. Ditto for the person who leaked it. Parents in divorces are asshol*s.

Kim was responsibe for making sure Ireland was there for the phone call. Ireland was not there for this one or other ones. How fukced up is that - to use an 11 year old girl like that - pathetic no matter how abhhorent Alec B.'s actions were. Moreover, AB is an IDIOT for falling for that trap, which is a classic one.

carrie721 04-23-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

^^

interesting article, but i find the analysis a little too precious.