The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Brown Eyes (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=22458)

dansven 09-16-2005 05:31 AM

Brown Eyes

Hi!

Does the alternate version of "Brown Eyes" on the remastered Tusk album have any playing from Peter?

Daniel

dino 09-17-2005 05:06 AM

Yes, Daniel,
it does.
Sounds like the same take to me, though. But the mix is different,
and there's less of Lindsey's guitar parts. I've always wondered
if Green only plays those few licks at the end, as some of the
guitar that comes before sounds a bit like him. Oh well........

dansven 09-19-2005 05:18 AM

Thanks, Dino! :)
I guess I'll have to run to the shop now and get it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dino
I've always wondered
if Green only plays those few licks at the end, as some of the
guitar that comes before sounds a bit like him.

Yes, I've also thought the same...

And from one thing to another... I think you're right that it is not Peter playing the solo on "Big Boy Now". I've listened to it a lot lately, and I guess it is that session guitarist. Anyway, I really like that song!

Daniel

DavidMn 10-18-2005 12:33 PM

I never knew he played on that till like 2 years ago.

Brwn_eyes0511 10-18-2005 01:20 PM

And here I thought this was a thread dedicated to me, but located in the wrong area of The Ledge! :( DAMN! :)

I didn't name myself Brown Eyes for just any reason...I LOVE THE SONG!

DavidMn 10-18-2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
And here I thought this was a thread dedicated to me, but located in the wrong area of The Ledge! :( DAMN! :)

I didn't name myself Brown Eyes for just any reason...I LOVE THE SONG!

Oh my, that's funny!!:wavey:

rbs3676 10-18-2005 10:06 PM

Love the Green God...

DavidMn 10-19-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbs3676
Love the Green God...

You know it!!:nod:

welcomechris 03-12-2014 03:28 PM

No Peter Did Not Play on the Tusk Album

Source: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...155&Itemid=175

Peter Says He Did Not Play on the Tusk Album

SteveMacD 03-12-2014 04:06 PM

Lindsey also verified that Peter wasn't on the "Tusk" album in an interview.

wetcamelfood 03-12-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1122210)

Link/source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1122208)

Fair enough if it's true, but Mich Reynolds answered those questions, not Peter and I doubt she knew enough about those sessions to come to this determination and Mick claims he was on Mayall's Curly/Rubber Duck single which just isn't possible so hopefully we can get good info on this at some point but we'll see I guess. :)

John

chiliD 03-12-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1122208)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1122210)

Peter said he didn't play on "Night Watch" on the Penguin album, either; however, Mick said he played on both "Night Watch" & "Brown Eyes". Both guitar parts sound almost identical with similar tone.

If I recall, on "Night Watch", Mick (or was it Bob?) described it as they were mixing the song and Peter was in another room just noodling along with the playback & they just happened to have his amp mic'd & somebody hit the "record" button. Probably a similar situation with "Brown Eyes". Not a formal "here, Peter, we want to you play on this song" type situation.

welcomechris 03-12-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1122215)
Peter said he didn't play on "Night Watch" on the Penguin album, either; however, Mick said he played on both "Night Watch" & "Brown Eyes". Both guitar parts sound almost identical with similar tone.

If I recall, on "Night Watch", Mick (or was it Bob?) described it as they were mixing the song and Peter was in another room just noodling along with the playback & they just happened to have his amp mic'd & somebody hit the "record" button. Probably a similar situation with "Brown Eyes". Not a formal "here, Peter, we want to you play on this song" type situation.

Bob Has Confirmed peter is indeed playing on Night Watch

Not Brown Eyes, On Q&A Peter said he only met Lindsey & Stevie at the RRHOF

chiliD 03-12-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1122218)
Not Brown Eyes, On Q&A Peter said he only met Lindsey & Stevie at the RRHOF

Even in 1979, you didn't have meet ANYBODY in the band to appear on one of their songs. As with my previous scenario, Mick & Peter (since they did hang out a bit back then) could've just dropped by the studio while Richard & Ken were doing some mixing...again, Peter may have just wandered out into the studio where a mic'd amp & a guitar were set up and possibly just noodled along with the song, then one of the guys in the control room hit "record" & VOILA! Peter's on the song.

I mean, that's a whole lot more plausible than trying to explain the "Ancient Alien" theory. :nod:

michelej1 03-12-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1122228)
I mean, that's a whole lot more plausible than trying to explain the "Ancient Alien" theory. :nod:

I love this, especially since I fall asleep to the show Ancient Aliens about 3 times a week.

Michele

dansven 03-13-2014 02:07 AM

I support chiliD and I am totally convinced that Peter appears at the end of "Brown Eyes". :nod: It's his style. It would be much harder to believe if he was supposed to have played on another track on the album, where one cannot hear any guitar sounding like him.
Peter himself very often replies something like this: "Sorry, I can't remember. I was very ill at that time."

jbrownsjr 03-13-2014 09:35 AM

Lindsey said that Peter may have made the final cut.

chiliD 03-13-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1122239)
I love this, especially since I fall asleep to the show Ancient Aliens about 3 times a week.

Michele

I used to, as well. :thumbsup:

But, where I live now, we don't get the H2 channel. :(
Still pissed at the History Channel for moving Ancient Aliens to H2. :mad:

yeti 03-13-2014 01:08 PM

From the Ken Caillait Q&A

Quote:

Oh, here's one from the "gossip column". ;-) Back around the time of "Tusk", Mick was working on getting a Warners recording contract for Peter Green...who backed out at the last minute (literally, from all accounts I've read). Would you have been involved in recording that Peter Green comeback album, or was it not quite to that point when Peter said "no"?? Also, many accounts of Peter's playing on Chris' "Brown Eyes" on the "Tusk" album. Were you at the controls when Peter recorded his parts?? Any anectdotes about his being in the studio during that time? (Steve Denison, Long Beach, California, USA)

When Peter came to the Studio we were at the Record Plant, and we really didn't get much work done, it just turned into a big jam session with booze. I listened to those tapes during the box set and they were awful-- just hours and hours of solos, I think Richard Dashut was playing drums, and Ray Lindsey was playing guitar and Stevie tambourine and me console. You would probably have more fun listening to my latest recording of me having a root canal!

Like John Fitzgerald & David Oberman, I too, want to be a "Mac lobbyist" and go on record to say that "If Warners has it in their vaults, we want it in the stores!" :-) I'm not even that picky over format, I'll dig through my parents' garage rafters for the old 8-track cartridge player if they release it all in that format again (h
Sure sounds like Peter to me at the end of "Brown Eyes"
I believe that Peter used the 1960 Sunburst Les Paul that Mick Fleetwood bought for him around that time.

chiliD 03-13-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeti (Post 1122265)
I believe that Peter used the 1960 Sunburst Les Paul that Mick Fleetwood bought for him around that time.

Wow! Thanks for picking MY question to Ken! I totally forgot about that! ;):D

wetcamelfood 03-13-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeti (Post 1122265)

I think so as well (and Night Watch) though I disagree with Ken saying the jams were horrible. Even though I haven't heard them, I can guarantee him I know I'd like them if I heard them! :)

John

moon 03-16-2014 11:24 PM

I suppose it's Peter, and I must say that I LOVE his solo but that I HATE how short is it. It's really at the end!!!!!!! And I must turn on the volume to listen a bit more.
Surely it's different than a solo of Lindsey, but it's too short...
Regards!

wetcamelfood 03-17-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1122521)
I suppose it's Peter, and I must say that I LOVE his solo but that I HATE how short is it. It's really at the end!!!!!!! And I must turn on the volume to listen a bit more.
Surely it's different than a solo of Lindsey, but it's too short...
Regards!

It definitely fades out early on the Chain box (but does fade in earlier at the beginning, presumably to compensate but this doesn't help the PG fans since it's the end they care about).

John

moon 03-17-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1122560)
It definitely fades out early on the Chain box (but does fade in earlier at the beginning, presumably to compensate but this doesn't help the PG fans since it's the end they care about).

John

I see...
And it's really sad to know that there's no other version of the song, or at least the same solo, but with the correct volume.
Regards!

welcomechris 03-23-2014 06:42 PM

If Peter Was Part Of Brown Eyes The Only Part He Would Of Been In Would Be The Fade At The End

wetcamelfood 03-24-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1122958)
If Peter Was Part Of Brown Eyes The Only Part He Would Of Been In Would Be The Fade At The End

That's what I mean, those that just heard the song on the Chain box, probably don't hear it much/well but you can hear it better on Tusk. :)

John

welcomechris 03-24-2014 03:46 PM

You're Right

SteveMacD 03-24-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1122213)
Link/source?

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/qas/story.html?id=d354a63f-5956-4b0a-9da3-2efbd2879f45

Quote:

Gazette: It’s often been said that you were the architect of the Fleetwood Mac sound as most people know it. And correct me if this is not accurate, but I understand that Peter Green played on Brown Eyes, uncredited ...

Buckingham: Who?

Gazette: Peter Green.

Buckingham: Mmmm ... I don’t believe so.

Gazette: OK, then that must be an urban legend, because I had read that in a few places.

Buckingham: I don’t believe that, no. I don’t remember that. Even if he had, that has nothing to do with who was the architect of the sound ...

Gazette: No, no, no. Where I was going with that (was that) it seemed like a strange meeting of two different versions of the group – and if that had been an accurate story ....

Buckingham: Well, you can always call Mick and ask him. I don’t recall that. Anything is possible, though. I don’t believe so.

Gazette: OK. I’ll scratch that one.

Buckingham: Because you know why? If he had played on it, believe me – Mick would have seen to it that he got credit.

dino 03-28-2014 01:43 AM

"architect of the sound ..."

What a monstrosity of pomposity.

SteveMacD 03-29-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dino (Post 1123569)
"architect of the sound ..."

What a monstrosity of pomposity.

Sure he's a pompous a-hole, but he's OUR pompous a-hole!

welcomechris 08-20-2014 09:39 AM

Richard Dashut said he doesn't ever remember fleetwood mac working with peter green for brown eyes

dino 08-20-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1139807)
Richard Dashut said he doesn't ever remember fleetwood mac working with peter green for brown eyes

It's clearly an overdub; maybe Dashut wasn't there for it. If it's not Peter, on aural evidence it's one of the best Peter Green imitators ever. So logically, it's Peter, as Mick has stated.