The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   GO INSANE Survivor Rounds 4-7 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=20654)

sodascouts 07-08-2005 04:59 PM

GO INSANE Survivor Rounds 4-7

Results for Round 3

Bang the Drum – 10
Slow Dancing – 6
D.W. Suite – 6
Loving Cup – 3

With 10 votes, “Bang the Drum” is the third song eliminated from Go Insane survivor. “Bang the Drum,” please leave the tribal council area immediately. The rest of you may return to the camp.

Breakdown of Votes:
Bang the Drum – wondergirl9847
Bang the Drum – mondaymornin1
Bang the Drum – Patti
Bang the Drum – Dark Angel
Bang the Drum – Nico
Bang the Drum – dreamongypsydkm
Bang the Drum – golddustwoman77
Bang the Drum – Moony
Bang the Drum – Lux
Bang the Drum – trackaghost

D.W. Suite – sodascouts
D.W. Suite – CreepingDeath
D.W. Suite – ontheEdgeof17
D.W. Suite – glitter_fades
D.W. Suite – Mari
D.W. Suite – rezamatic

Slow Dancing – shackin’ up
Slow Dancing – AliP
Slow Dancing – dissention
Slow Dancing – msLinds
Slow Dancing – Sugar
Slow Dancing – Hawkeye

Loving Cup – Johnny Stew
Loving Cup – golden braid
Loving Cup – ReFleetwoodMac

----------------

The songs in play:

I Want You
Go Insane
Slow Dancing
Play in the Rain Pt. 1
Loving Cup
D.W. Suite

Voted off:
Bang the Drum 07/08/05
Play in the Rain Pt. 2 07/07/05
I Must Go 07/06/05

Immunity:
Another question about the back cover photo. When asked about the naked woman in it, what did Lindsey call her?

sodascouts 07-08-2005 05:34 PM

Maybe this question is too hard. If no one answers by 7:00 EST, I'll post an easier one.

shackin'up 07-08-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts
Maybe this question is too hard. If no one answers by 7:00 EST, I'll post an easier one.

ohh, please not into the deep night again. I'm searching me insane. nothing found yet

David 07-08-2005 05:42 PM

This Round: Loving Cup

Quote:

Immunity:
Another question about the back cover photo. When asked about the naked woman in it, what did Lindsey call her?

I think he called her a "good sport." Yeah? No? I want immunity for "I Want You."

But "Loving Cup" can kiss my ass!

sodascouts 07-08-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
ohh, please not into the deep night again. I'm searching me insane. nothing found yet

Well, I know of at least three people who know the answer, but none of them are interested in playing this game. So, I will go ahead and think up another question.

Edit: One of them just posted the right answer. lol

sodascouts 07-08-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I think he called her a "good sport." Yeah? No? I want immunity for "I Want You."

Yay! Good deal! I didn't want to have to think of another question, and that thing you have going on in FM Survivor wouldn't work too well here.

I Want You is immune.

BEGIN ROUND 4.

Johnny Stew 07-08-2005 05:47 PM

Round 4 - "Loving Cup"

Thanks, David! :wavey:

dissention 07-08-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Results for Round 3

Bang the Drum – 10
Slow Dancing – 6
D.W. Suite – 6
Loving Cup – 3

With 10 votes, “Bang the Drum” is the third song eliminated from Go Insane survivor. “Bang the Drum,” please leave the tribal council area immediately. The rest of you may return to the camp.

Breakdown of Votes:
Bang the Drum – wondergirl9847
Bang the Drum – mondaymornin1
Bang the Drum – Patti
Bang the Drum – Dark Angel
Bang the Drum – Nico
Bang the Drum – dreamongypsydkm
Bang the Drum – golddustwoman77
Bang the Drum – Moony
Bang the Drum – Lux
Bang the Drum – trackaghost

D.W. Suite – sodascouts
D.W. Suite – CreepingDeath
D.W. Suite – ontheEdgeof17
D.W. Suite – glitter_fades
D.W. Suite – Mari
D.W. Suite – rezamatic

Slow Dancing – shackin’ up
Slow Dancing – AliP
Slow Dancing – dissention
Slow Dancing – msLinds
Slow Dancing – Sugar
Slow Dancing – Hawkeye

Loving Cup – Johnny Stew
Loving Cup – golden braid
Loving Cup – ReFleetwoodMac

----------------

The songs in play:

I Want You
Go Insane
Slow Dancing
Play in the Rain Pt. 1
Loving Cup
D.W. Suite

Voted off:
Bang the Drum 07/08/05
Play in the Rain Pt. 2 07/07/05
I Must Go 07/06/05

Immunity:

Dammit, my computer keeps freezing when I try to answer this. If I remember correctly, he called her a "sport."

Immunity to DW Suite.

dissention 07-08-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Yay! Good deal! I didn't want to have to think of another question, and that thing you have going on in FM Survivor wouldn't work too well here.

I Want You is immune.

BEGIN ROUND 4.

:rolleyes:

Dammit. I probably got it wrong, anyway, because I didn't say "good sport." :laugh:

shackin'up 07-08-2005 05:50 PM

maybe you should stick to questions that are also fun for people outside of walking encyclopedia :lol: ;)

dissention 07-08-2005 05:51 PM

Round 4 - Slow Dancing

Slow Dancing must go.

sodascouts 07-08-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissention
:rolleyes:

Dammit. I probably got it wrong, anyway, because I didn't say "good sport." :laugh:

Eh, I would've given it to you. Your extended computer freeze came at a rather unfortunate time for you, as you posted the answer only a few minutes after David did. Life is hard.

sodascouts 07-08-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

maybe you should stick to questions that are also fun for people outside of walking encyclopedia :lol: ;)

I'll keep that in mind for next time. It's just everyone around here are such great Lindsey fans that it's hard to keep it challenging!

dissention 07-08-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Eh, I would've given it to you. Your extended computer freeze came at a rather unfortunate time for you, as you posted the answer only a few minutes after David did. Life is hard.

And the kicker is that no one was going to vote off I Want You. :lol:

chiliD 07-08-2005 05:52 PM

Round 4---Slow Dancing

Quote:

Jerk.

:wavey:

shackin'up 07-08-2005 05:55 PM

4 slowdancing

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
Jerk.

:wavey:

I'm with you here, ChiliD

AliP 07-08-2005 05:58 PM

Round 4: Play in the Rain part 1

David, what are you doing ???? ;) You should have voted for D.W. Suite to be immune. Well, since the gawd awful Play in the Rain part 1 is no longer immune, I hope it gets eliminated!!! woo.

sodascouts 07-08-2005 06:00 PM

Round 4 - Play in the Rain Part 1

Did you guys voting for "Slow Dancing" forget that Play in the Rain part 1 is still in the running?!

AliP 07-08-2005 06:01 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about...you are the walking encyclopedia. :lol: I thought I was a fan....but I have no flippin clue what the answers to these questions are.

ontheEdgeof17 07-08-2005 06:01 PM

Round 4: Play in the Rain I

Is there anything left to say?

dissention 07-08-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Did you guys voting for "Slow Dancing" forget that Play in the Rain part 1 is still in the running?!

Nooooooope. :]

chiliD 07-08-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

No, I prefer BOTH "Play In The Rain"s over "Slow Dancing".

shackin'up 07-08-2005 06:04 PM

save play in the rain please

please people, nobody's waiting for angry posts about understanding Lindsey's art again, and voting in his spirit on a game at his side of the board about his art. And for you who writes those: don't feel offended, I agree. I'm just sick of those preaching posts.

David 07-08-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Jerk.

ROFL!!! That's one of your favorite songs on that album, isn't it? I forgot!

I suppose I could sum up my views thus, Chili: The track has orchestral strengths, undoubtedly. It's just that the textuality presupposes a certain static yet pre-lingual obsession with naive sexual guilt & hegemonic discrimination. It turns in on itself in an endless dismantling of its craving for origins: truth & presence. But outside this metaphysics of presence, the song seems too encased in its receding aporia, & I can't help thinking that Lindsey is fixated on the epoch of the full speech, suspended from the metal strings of his Turner Model 1 between a free reflection on the origin of writing-qua-writing & the subsuming of that fixated transcendence.

So, as you can see, I really had to vote it out.

sodascouts 07-08-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

save play in the rain please

please people, nobody's waiting for angry posts about understanding Lindsey's art again, and voting in his spirit on a game at his side of the board about his art. And for you who writes those: don't feel offended, I agree. I'm just sick of those preaching posts.

Sorry, sweetie. You know, I was going to post the question, "What did Lindsey say an entire album of songs like Play in the Rain would be?" But I thought that would be too pointed, as his answer was "self-indulgence."

shackin'up 07-08-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliP
What are you talking about...you are the walking encyclopedia. :lol: I thought I was a fan....but I have no flippin clue what the answers to these questions are.

last round was the first time I answered correctly. just because I've studied art half of my life I knew that answer without searching. The only thing that frightened me is that I even reminded the original Norwegian Title of that artwork: "skrik". :o :lol:

chiliD 07-08-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

I suppose I could sum up my views thus, Chili: The track has orchestral strengths, undoubtedly. It's just that the textuality presupposes a certain static yet pre-lingual obsession with naive sexual guilt & hegemonic discrimination. It turns in on itself in an endless dismantling of its craving for origins: truth & presence. But outside this metaphysics of presence, the song seems too encased in its receding aporia, & I can't help thinking that Lindsey is fixated on the epoch of the full speech, suspended from the metal strings of his Turner Model 1 between a free reflection on the origin of writing-qua-writing & the subsuming of that fixated transcendence.

Would it change your mind if I told you he didn't PLAY his M1 on "Loving Cup"? :shrug:

shackin'up 07-08-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Sorry, sweetie. You know, I was going to post the question, "What did Lindsey say an entire album of songs like Play in the Rain would be?" But I thought that would be too pointed, as his answer was "self-indulgence."

that one I would have known immediately! :lol:
And I even agree with that. But I'm sure he'll frown a brow when he sees his FANS vote such songs of so early. I KNOW that you agree with me on that.

somewhere deep down inside :lol:

David 07-08-2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

No, I prefer BOTH "Play In The Rain"s over "Slow Dancing".

Me, too.

"Play in the Rain," after all, is the only link this album has with the work of Varèse & Salzedo. If we get rid of it, there goes the only connection in all of Lindsey Buckingham's music to the pioneers of the "Liberation of Sound" movement & their break from European influences & their paralysis of the tempered system.

Might Varèse actually have been speaking for Lindsey Buckingham, when he told a group of students & professors in 1939: "When you listen to music, do you ever stop to realize that you are being subjected to a physical phenomenon? Not until the air between the listener's ear and the instrument has been disturbed does music occur. In order to anticipate the result, a composer must understand the mechanics of the instruments and must know just as much as possible about acoustics. I need an entirely new medium of expression: a sound producing machine (not a sound reproducing one)"?

CreepingDeath 07-08-2005 06:15 PM

Round 4: Play in the Rain Part 1

ontheEdgeof17 07-08-2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

"Play in the Rain," after all, is the only link this album has with the work of Varèse & Salzedo. If we get rid of it, there goes the only connection in all of Lindsey Buckingham's music to the pioneers of the "Liberation of Sound" movement & their break from European influences & their paralysis of the tempered system.

So? :shrug:

sodascouts 07-08-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Your assessement is certainly eloquently phrased, yet I think there is a elemental flaw in it. What you regard as the song's textual presupposition is a problematic supposition in itself. The psychological implications you derive from the text are hardly clear-cut - this song appears far from naive to me. Yes, sexual guilt is apparent, but it is that of the world-weary cynic who's been around the block enough times to identify his destructive behavior even if he seems unable or unwilling to put an end to it (at least at that point). I think your metaphysical leanings have made you create your own metatext that is not necessarily true to authorial intent. If your poor opinion is the result of an arguable misreading of Lindsey's psyche, that would be a pity - but certainly, such a judgment is your right.

David 07-08-2005 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
So? :shrug:

Excellent point, Curtis. And while I fully agree, allow me to posit these additional views:

Based on your response, I would expect your expounded view to have two aspects: 1) the diagnosis of logocentrism, & its nature & its characteristic error, & 2) the exposition of a viewpoint that transcends the limitations of logocentrism. Implicit in your view is that a proper grasp of speech situations would also not allow that error to occur. As I implied in an earlier post (above), the very problem of a relationship between thoughts & words implies an illusion that universal substances exist -- an illusion which, by the way, you yourself have verbalized within your very eloquent critique of transcendence, Curtis.

chiliD 07-08-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Your assessement is certainly eloquently phrased, yet I think there is a elemental flaw in it. What you regard as the song's textual presupposition is a problematic supposition in itself. The psychological implications you derive from the text are hardly clear-cut - this song appears far from naive to me. Yes, sexual guilt is apparent, but it is that of the world-weary cynic who's been around the block enough times to identify his destructive behavior even if he seems unable or unwilling to put an end to it (at least at that point). I think your metaphysical leanings have made you create your own metatext that is not necessarily true to authorial intent. If your poor opinion is the result of an arguable misreading of Lindsey's psyche, that would be a pity - but certainly, such a judgment is your right.

Actually, I think David just has a problem with Turner Model 1's.

ontheEdgeof17 07-08-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Excellent point, Curtis. And while I fully agree, allow me to posit these additional views:

Based on your response, I would expect your expounded view to have two aspects: 1) the diagnosis of logocentrism, & its nature & its characteristic error, & 2) the exposition of a viewpoint that transcends the limitations of logocentrism. Implicit in your view is that a proper grasp of speech situations would also not allow that error to occur. As I implied in an earlier post (above), the very problem of a relationship between thoughts & words implies an illusion that universal substances exist -- an illusion which, by the way, you yourself have verbalized within your very eloquent critique of transcendence, Curtis.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sleep/1.gif Wake me when the lecture is over.

David 07-08-2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Nancy, I think you are absolutely correct, & you have very astutely ascertained the logocentric error in my position. I must confess, I have no adequate resolution to suggest, other than to offer the possibility that my error also may lie in my naive implication of a transcendental signified within the self-referential aporia I attempt to expose in "Loving Cup." My failure is nothing more than an attempt to undo the comfort of mastery & consensus that underlie the illusion that objectivity is situated somewhere outside the self.

golden braid 07-08-2005 06:34 PM

Round 4 Play in the Rain Part 1

message left blank

shackin'up 07-08-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Nancy, I think you are absolutely correct, & you have very astutely ascertained the logocentric error in my position. I must confess, I have no adequate resolution to suggest, other than to offer the possibility that my error also may lie in my naive implication of a transcendental signified within the self-referential aporia I attempt to expose in "Loving Cup." My failure is nothing more than an attempt to undo the comfort of mastery & consensus that underlie the illusion that objectivity is situated somewhere outside the self.

Stop! I want to go to bed! You crack me up, I'm refreshing the page every minute to see if there's follow up on this dialogue! Chili sleeps and I die laughing over here! :wavey:

nite dont let the bugs bite

chiliD 07-08-2005 06:38 PM

Quote:

Stop! I want to go to bed! You crack me up, I'm refreshing the page every minute to see if there's follow up on this dialogue! Chili sleeps and I die laughing over here! :wavey:

nite dont let the bugs bite

I'm wide awake...that's Curtis snoring like a crosscut saw in the corner. :nod: Hey, Curtis...you got Apnea? :)

ontheEdgeof17 07-08-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

I'm wide awake...that's Curtis snoring like a crosscut saw in the corner. :nod: Hey, Curtis...you got Apnea? :)

I'm breathing well, thanks. ;)