The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Apparently Stevie is working with Dave Stewart on something (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60188)

Jondalar 12-17-2023 04:44 AM

Apparently Stevie is working with Dave Stewart on something

https://retropopmagazine.com/dave-st...ing-exclusive/

Dave Stewart might be best known for his work as one-half of Eurythmics with Annie Lennox, but in a decades-spanning career he’s worked with the biggest names in music. From Anastacia, Geri Halliwell and Katy Perry, to Joss Stone, Bryan Ferry and Mick Jagger, his list of collaborators is varied and impressive, and in 2011 he teamed up with Fleetwood Mac frontwoman Stevie Nicks on ‘In Your Dreams’ – her first solo album in a decade.

Three years later, they reconvened to record ‘24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault’, and speaking in RETROPOP’s December 2023 edition the musician hinted there’s more to come.

“She has called me about something that I can’t talk about, but it’s interesting,” he teases, before musing on the success of his various collaborations.

“I am very fortunate and very lucky to have worked with all these brilliant people and a lot of them many times, like Stevie and Joss Stone,” adds Dave. “Whoever I’m working with, we tend to have an enjoyable time and things happen in a quick but unique way.

“I think that’s why I have a lot of return visitors.”

Dave’s comments came ahead of his ‘Eurythmics Songbook’ European tour, which saw the Missionary Man hitmaker join forces with Australian singer Vanessa Amorosi, Warrington’s RAHH and his daughter, Kaya Stewart, on vocal duties to perform cuts from the duo’s classic repertoire.

Having an all-female band, led by keyboardist Hannah Koppenburg, is his way of “paying homage to [his] great friend and collaborator”, with Dave insisting of the concerts: “This isn’t just a lot of people bashing out songs.

“I’ve chosen amazing players and amazing visuals for a potted history of Eurythmics songs in all their glory, with harmonies and soloists and myself on guitar.”

In a review of Dave’s show at the London Palladium, RETROPOP praised the vocalists for “playing to their own strengths to bring a contemporary edge to the material while maintaining its authenticity”, writing: “As a tribute to one of the greatest pop duo’s of all time Stewart’s band did a cracking job.”

BombaySapphire3 12-17-2023 06:42 AM

I saw this .I believe it is an old quote from Dave back when they started work on IYD. The creative well has long ago run dry and she exists now as an oldies touring act making occasional guest appearances on other people's songs. You can stick a fork in the dried up old nightbird. Creatively she has croaked her last croak.

bwboy 12-17-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1290570)
I saw this .I believe it is an old quote from Dave back when they started work on IYD. The creative well has long ago run dry and she exists now as an oldies touring act making occasional guest appearances on other people's songs. You can stick a fork in the dried up old nightbird. Creatively she has croaked her last croak.

I know… imagine being 75 or however old she is and not releasing albums anymore. Instead, she’s just touring, apparently something she loves to do. It’s pathetic and I feel sorry for her that at her age, she’s all dried up creatively. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to turning 65 so I can retire and never make another report again. Guess I’m drying up, too.

Sorry for my sarcasm, BombaySapphire3, but Stevie is really in a no-win situation on this board- if she doesn’t record anymore, people say she’s dried up; if she does record again, people say she should’ve quit while she was ahead because her voice has changed.

She doesn’t have to record for money, and she probably doesn’t write songs anymore. After 75 years, she’s earned the right to not record anymore. I say the exact same thing about Lindsey. If he were to quit releasing albums, he’s earned that right.

Villavic 12-17-2023 09:30 AM

It's the Rhiannon movie!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e2/d5...7cb2520804.jpg

UnwindedDreams 12-17-2023 09:33 AM

She didn't use Dave to produce Show Them The Way and the cover of For What It's Worth

"And, I called my favorite producer, Greg Kurstin, and I said, 'I would like to record this.'”
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/stevie...hat-its-worth/

Maybe she feels Kurstin isn't capable of doing a whole album for her...even though Kurstin is her favorite producer. She asked Dave.

HomerMcvie 12-17-2023 11:23 AM

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Front woman

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Macfan4life 12-17-2023 11:44 AM

Rhiannon, the life of Stevie Nicks is coming to Broadway. She asked Dave to help her write the music for it. It should be done by 2025 just in time for the big Fleetwood Mac reunion tour.

Its about a girl that was born in the desert and finds her way to sunny California meeting Lindsey Buckingham and teaching him play guitar. She worked cleaning houses and waitressing before getting her big break becoming the lead singer in Fleetwood Mac. Her career soared beyond what anyone could believe. She's the first woman to be inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame TWICE.

Dave is working out her songs to tell the story of her rise to fame.

Should be interesting.

soul_drifter333 12-17-2023 07:54 PM

Her opening on Broadway is to coincide with her winning the Nobel Piece Prize for recognition of the forgotten chimpanzees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290577)
Rhiannon, the life of Stevie Nicks is coming to Broadway. She asked Dave to help her write the music for it. It should be done by 2025 just in time for the big Fleetwood Mac reunion tour.

Its about a girl that was born in the desert and finds her way to sunny California meeting Lindsey Buckingham and teaching him play guitar. She worked cleaning houses and waitressing before getting her big break becoming the lead singer in Fleetwood Mac. Her career soared beyond what anyone could believe. She's the first woman to be inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame TWICE.

Dave is working out her songs to tell the story of her rise to fame.

Should be interesting.

Villavic 12-17-2023 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290577)

No, I read the screenplay. She WAS going to be inducted when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in her neighborhood. She got in one little fight and her mom got scared. She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Jondalar 12-18-2023 12:32 AM

So I take that the article is wrong and it’s old?

UnwindedDreams 12-18-2023 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1290581)
So I take that the article is wrong and it’s old?

It's not old. I've never heard of this "publication" before.

Villavic 12-18-2023 07:06 AM

The article is dated December 15, 2023. And he mentions the ‘Eurythmics Songbook’ European tour, which is from this year. Though some comments relate it to old quotes, it seems it's a current article anyway.

BigAl84 12-18-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1290571)
Sorry for my sarcasm, BombaySapphire3, but Stevie is really in a no-win situation on this board- if she doesn’t record anymore, people say she’s dried up; if she does record again, people say she should’ve quit while she was ahead because her voice has changed.

1. Her tour hasn't been interesting in years
2. Her recording output hasn't been interesting in years..24K Gold is 10+ years old already

3. She's obscenely arrogant
4. She completely screwed the ending of Fleetwood Mac....for literally everyone. The band and the fans.
5. Her team continues to promote her as the prolific songwriter legacy act.

That's why people are perhaps a little cyical.

bwboy 12-18-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1290587)
2. Her recording output hasn't been interesting in years..24K Gold is 10+ years old already

3. She's obscenely arrogant
4. She completely screwed the ending of Fleetwood Mac....for literally everyone. The band and the fans.
5. Her team continues to promote her as the prolific songwriter legacy act.

That's why people are perhaps a little cyical.

I don’t disagree with anything here, except #4. The music is what makes their legacy in my eyes, so nothing can take away from that. Obviously you feel differently and that’s fine. I still stand by what I said though- if Stevie released a new album, some folks would complain about how bad it is; if she doesn’t release a new album, many of those same people would complain she’s not releasing anything new. Hence the no-win conundrum.

Personally I’m ok if she never releases a new album. There were maybe 3 songs I liked from In Your Dreams, and none from 24 Karat. I also disliked every new song she recorded or appeared on since, like the one called My Hand, Show Them the Way, and For What It’s Worth, except for the Maroon 5 song. So if she is dried up creatively, I don’t blame her for not recording a new album.

mitzo 12-18-2023 10:32 AM

I am really curious about what this might be and would welcome new music, especially 24KG 2.

HomerMcvie 12-18-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1290591)
I don’t disagree with anything here, except #4. The music is what makes their legacy in my eyes, so nothing can take away from that. Obviously you feel differently and that’s fine. I still stand by what I said though- if Stevie released a new album, some folks would complain about how bad it is; if she doesn’t release a new album, many of those same people would complain she’s not releasing anything new. Hence the no-win conundrum.

Personally I’m ok if she never releases a new album. There were maybe 3 songs I liked from In Your Dreams, and none from 24 Karat. I also disliked every new song she recorded or appeared on since, like the one called My Hand, Show Them the Way, and For What It’s Worth, except for the Maroon 5 song. So if she is dried up creatively, I don’t blame her for not recording a new album.

You're ridiculous.

She could murder your entire family and you'd still defend her.

BombaySapphire3 12-18-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1290592)
I am really curious about what this might be and would welcome new music, especially 24KG 2.

It is an old quote by Dave in a new article .Believe me she will never record another album of new material. Dial phones will come back first.

Jondalar 12-18-2023 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1290596)
It is an old quote by Dave in a new article .Believe me she will never record another album of new material. Dial phones will come back first.

He didn’t say it was a new album.

UnwindedDreams 12-18-2023 12:57 PM

Maybe she called him to replace Mike Campbell for a FM tour.

bwboy 12-18-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1290594)
You're ridiculous.

She could murder your entire family and you'd still defend her.

If I can say that Fleetwood Mac touring with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlett on a bill with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar didn’t destroy their legacy, I can certainly say a tour with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell didn’t destroy their legacy, either.

HomerMcvie 12-18-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1290602)
If I can say that Fleetwood Mac touring with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlett on a bill with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar didn’t destroy their legacy, I can certainly say a tour with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell didn’t destroy their legacy, either.

Opinions are like something.... You're crazy if you don't think the ending not being the Rumours five didn't tarnish their legacy.

Now go polish your goat shrine.

BombaySapphire3 12-18-2023 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1290598)
He didn’t say it was a new album.

Right. The person that I was responding to thought that it might be a new album. The quote from Dave is verbatim what he tweeted right before they started IYD but even if it is new there will be no new album so what could be be referring to? Another narcissistic and self congratulatory film:shrug::laugh:

David 12-18-2023 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1290592)

But you would want all the lyrical ballads and I would want the rockers.

I would want “All the King’s Horses,” “Jimmy, Come On Back,” and “Beautiful Ghost.”

FuzzyPlum 12-18-2023 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She’s running for President and wants him as her running mate.
Interesting.
Please God them the way

jmn3 12-18-2023 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1290602)

Couldn’t destroy the legacy because they still had the ability to pull the trump card out to save it - and that’s the Rumours 5. 1997 saved their legacy and rebooted the band for an extra 20+ years and Stevie’s solo career. Short of that happening, Fleetwood Mac would’ve petered out in the 80’s with everything from the 1987 tour through Time as a dusty footnote.

And that’s how the 2018-19 tour will be remembered - a dusty footnote that is barely remembered and simply doesn’t matter.

bwboy 12-18-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1290621)
And that’s how the 2018-19 tour will be remembered - a dusty footnote that is barely remembered and simply doesn’t matter.

I couldn’t agree more. But other people feel that FM’s legacy has been tarnished forever. I am not one of those people.

jmn3 12-18-2023 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1290622)
I couldn’t agree more. But other people feel that FM’s legacy has been tarnished forever. I am not one of those people.

I think it’s the what if/yet another missed opportunity that makes people feel that way. A proper final album and tour was the right way to end this thing. A dusty footnote is not a worthy ending of an entity of Fleetwood Mac’s stature.

Jondalar 12-19-2023 12:27 AM

Stevie’s decision to kick Lindsey, the creative force, out the band, forever tarnished her reputation. After she is dead, and can’t network and kiss butt to stay relevant, she won’t be able to protect herself from the truth. Lindsey was the main force behind the music. She caused the end of Fleetwood to end on a negative note.

Macfan4life 12-19-2023 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1290623)
I think it’s the what if/yet another missed opportunity that makes people feel that way. A proper final album and tour was the right way to end this thing. A dusty footnote is not a worthy ending of an entity of Fleetwood Mac’s stature.

Yes exactly. I would only add that opening for REO Speedwagon was by choice. The singers left on their own accord and Mick wanted to still play so he found replacements. He said looking back it was the wrong thing to do. But he wanted to still play and he and John need a band with a singer. I don't see how anyone can compare this to what happened in 2018. Lindsey did not leave by choice. Everyone was expecting a last album and final tour. Instead we got a Buck/Vie album and a replacement tour. That OWTS tour with Chris and Lindsey really changed the dynamic and jealousy started again.

jmn3 12-19-2023 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290628)
Yes exactly. I would only add that opening for REO Speedwagon was by choice. The singers left on their own accord and Mick wanted to still play so he found replacements. He said looking back it was the wrong thing to do. But he wanted to still play and he and John need a band with a singer. I don't see how anyone can compare this to what happened in 2018. Lindsey did not leave by choice. Everyone was expecting a last album and final tour. Instead we got a Buck/Vie album and a replacement tour. That OWTS tour with Chris and Lindsey really changed the dynamic and jealousy started again.

Exactly! 2018 is incomparable to anything from 1987-1995. In those years, everyone left of their own accord. Getting to nearly 70 years old and then orchestrating someone’s firing was simply pathetic. Especially after years of refusing to record when everyone else was on board.

Villavic 12-19-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1290587)

It's not interesting to me. I haven't seen any Stevie Nicks concert and would never go, specially nowadays. I don't find it attractive nor interesting. But that's me. Cause watching some clips in networks and realizing the lot of people at arenas, I wouldn't say her tours are not interesting as an absolute truth. I see lot of people has interesting in going to her concerts.

BigAl84 12-19-2023 09:47 AM

I never implied any of my points as the absolute truth....LOLOLOL I said it amongst fans in the context of an online message board. Her tours haven't been interesting to the majority of fans in quite some time.

UnwindedDreams 01-01-2024 11:43 AM

So what's Stevie going to give us that's new this year?

Penguin Emeritus 01-01-2024 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290628)

I saw them on their 1995 tour, at Magic Mountain in PA. ugh. It wasn't really so much anyone opening for anyone else...more just a shared bill. if i recall correctly, it was Orleans, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar and FM. I think FM was third? I was extremely embarrassed for them. They didn't sound awful but the venue was pretty small and basic, and for me it was painful to see 'fleetwood mac' looking so pathetic compared to the 'hugeness' of their former selves. A lot of people wandered out to the bathroom and for a beer. i think the band that made the best showing that day may have been Pat Benatar. Bekka had a great voice, but to see her up there doing Gold Dust Woman or whatever stevie song she did was bizarre.

At the time, John had emailed me something like that 'the band with Billy and Bekka is over, and Mick and I are on to something new.' So he didn't say/think the band was over completely...but i wonder what he thought was next lol.

I do think the 97 reunion was an amazing surprise. and then chris returning was another amazing surprise.

so sad things turned out as they did later on w LB being fired. I agree their legacy should not have ended as it did. Shame there wasn't a way to somehow work all that out... But i'm grateful for what we got, i guess, because ending on the 1995 note would have been far worse! that was heartbreaking to see.

--Lis

Macfan4life 01-01-2024 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1290858)
I saw them on their 1995 tour, at Magic Mountain in PA. ugh. It wasn't really so much anyone opening for anyone else...more just a shared bill. if i recall correctly, it was Orleans, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar and FM. I think FM was third? I was extremely embarrassed for them. They didn't sound awful but the venue was pretty small and basic, and for me it was painful to see 'fleetwood mac' looking so pathetic compared to the 'hugeness' of their former selves. A lot of people wandered out to the bathroom and for a beer. i think the band that made the best showing that day may have been Pat Benatar. Bekka had a great voice, but to see her up there doing Gold Dust Woman or whatever stevie song she did was bizarre.

At the time, John had emailed me something like that 'the band with Billy and Bekka is over, and Mick and I are on to something new.' So he didn't say/think the band was over completely...but i wonder what he thought was next lol.

I do think the 97 reunion was an amazing surprise. and then chris returning was another amazing surprise.

so sad things turned out as they did later on w LB being fired. I agree their legacy should not have ended as it did. Shame there wasn't a way to somehow work all that out... But i'm grateful for what we got, i guess, because ending on the 1995 note would have been far worse! that was heartbreaking to see.

--Lis

In 1995 they were playing large venues even if they were sharing the bill. They even played Sun Fest in 1995 in West Palm Beach which is a huge art show with major talent concerts. I remember hearing GYOW with Billy and it was so strange because I never thought I would hear that song live again.
They stayed at some flea bag hotel. 2 years later (1997) the Palm Beach Post pointed that out how the band stayed at an interstate hotel and now have 3 entire ocean front floors rented at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach for their West Palm Beach stop. They sort of went from rags to riches again.

BombaySapphire3 01-01-2024 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290859)
They stayed at some flea bag hotel. 2 years later (1997) the Palm Beach Post pointed that out how the band stayed at an interstate hotel and now have 3 entire ocean front floors rented at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach for their West Palm Beach stop. They sort of went from rags to riches again.

In the pre-Dance mid '90s Stevie who usually loves to boast about her opulent lifestyle was crying poor mouth saying in an interview that she used the royalties from the then wildly popular Smashing Pumpkins cover of Landslide to repair her swimming pool.

Macfan4life 01-01-2024 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1290860)
In the pre-Dance mid '90s Stevie who usually loves to boast about her opulent lifestyle was crying poor mouth saying in an interview that she used the royalties from the then wildly popular Smashing Pumpkins cover of Landslide to repair her swimming pool.

Yes. There is an interview with Stevie promoting Street Angel on some radio station on youtube. The DJ asks why there was no video for her current single and her response really showed how terrified she was of the future. She said making a video costs lots of money and someday she may be downsized living in a one bedroom apartment wishing she would not have spent that kind of money on a video.
You could sense her unease of for the first time in her solo career a record tanked and her tour was not drawing huge numbers. She also did not have a Fleetwood Mac career anymore. She had never experienced anything like that before. Her touring on a bus tells you everything you need to know. She probably had not toured on a bus since her Buckingham Nicks days.
The Dance changed everything and cash grab tours now made more money than they ever dreamed of.

HomerMcvie 01-01-2024 02:34 PM

Quote:

--Lis

I saw them with REO and Pat B, at "deer creek" amphitheater in Indy(I think it's called Ruoff now). If I remember correctly, Pat opened and REO closed the show. I thought Bekka was awesome, but we had lawn seats, and people all around us were bitching that it wasn't FM without $tevie, and that bugged me a lot. Bekka did Dreaming the Dream, and made me a fan.

Macfan4life 01-01-2024 03:23 PM

Quote:

--Lis

If I could ask Bekka one question it would be about that Gold Dust Woman performance. We know that Bekka got the talk from Chris about certain Stevie songs not to do i.e. Rhiannon, Dreams, etc. Was Gold Dust Woman not on that list? An oversight? Correct me if I am wrong but it was not originally in the set but added in the summer of 95? I cant remember. But how did she get away with performing one of the most identifiable Stevie songs after Chris's talk? Did Mick clear it with Stevie perhaps the Dance talk warmed things up between the two? Did Mick not care at that point and dare Stevie to stop it? Was there a conversation in the band that the audience was not into it unless there was a Stevie song? I am so curious about this.

Penguin Emeritus 01-01-2024 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290864)
If I could ask Bekka one question it would be about that Gold Dust Woman performance. We know that Bekka got the talk from Chris about certain Stevie songs not to do i.e. Rhiannon, Dreams, etc. Was Gold Dust Woman not on that list? An oversight? Correct me if I am wrong but it was not originally in the set but added in the summer of 95? I cant remember. But how did she get away with performing one of the most identifiable Stevie songs after Chris's talk? Did Mick clear it with Stevie perhaps the Dance talk warmed things up between the two? Did Mick not care at that point and dare Stevie to stop it? Was there a conversation in the band that the audience was not into it unless there was a Stevie song? I am so curious about this.

I wonder if the band (maybe esp Mick?) felt they HAD to include one stevie song in the set...and maybe GDW was the compromise because it was not as well-known as Dreams and Rhiannon? maybe chris only mentioned the 2 big hits to Bekka as something to not do. I mean GDW is identifiable to us as huge Mac fans, but maybe not quite as identifiable to the regular 'radio listener' fan. i'm not sure when they added that to the set. and I thought Bekka actually sang it well, she has a great voice...but for her to do Dreams or Rhiannon , that would have been sort of wrong. as chris knew lol. I wonder if stevie would have really cared about GDW at that point??

as to whether most of the audience was wholeheartedly 'into' *any* of the songs is probably debatable...they sure weren't at the show i was at...

--Lis