The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine playing guitar on The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25385)

Gailh 02-09-2006 02:34 PM

Christine playing guitar on The Ledge

I just got a couple of DVDs off ebay and one of them was rare promos of FM

It has The Ledge - Rehersals with Christine playing guitar. Has anyone else seen this?

Also one of the other disks which is called Out of Time I think was at some promotional event in Japan and she was signing autographs (with her left hand) and then she said "I'm going to have to blow my nose now - don't take a picture of me blowing my nose!" :)

Some of the footage was very confusing - at one point Stevie seemed to be hugging every man she saw! :xoxo:

I haven't seen all of it yet but I think it's the Rosebud film

Very odd

Gail

chiliD 02-09-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh
It has The Ledge - Rehersals with Christine playing guitar. Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't seen her playing on "The Ledge", but I saw her play on "Save Me A Place" when I saw them back in 1979

Quote:

Some of the footage was very confusing - at one point Stevie seemed to be hugging every man she saw! :xoxo:

Only hugging? :lol: :laugh: :lol:

macfan 57 02-09-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

I have one of those Tusk rehearsals. She plays guitar on "The Ledge" & "Save Me A Place". She looks very cool doing it too.:cool:

Quote:

Also one of the other disks which is called Out of Time I think was at some promotional event in Japan and she was signing autographs (with her left hand) and then she said "I'm going to have to blow my nose now - don't take a picture of me blowing my nose!" :)

I haven't seen all of it yet but I think it's the Rosebud film

No, that's not the Rosebud film. That's from that 1977 Japan documentary. I hope you have the whole thing. There are several interview segments with Chris & she is very funny & very drunk.

jbrownsjr 02-09-2006 09:38 PM

yeah she looks comfortable no matter what she plays...

aleuzzi 02-09-2006 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=macfan 57]I have one of those Tusk rehearsals. She plays guitar on "The Ledge" & "Save Me A Place". She looks very cool doing it too.:cool:

!!!!!!!!! How friggin' cool.

Gailh 02-10-2006 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
No, that's not the Rosebud film. That's from that 1977 Japan documentary. I hope you have the whole thing. There are several interview segments with Chris & she is very funny & very drunk.

There's not too many interviews with Chris but a lot of backstage footage of not very high quality. At one point she's talking to a lady who I think is Mick's mum. The first disk starts off with them playing World Turning at an outdoor venue and the title comes up as "A film by Rosebud" but from what your're saying it doesn't sound like the Rosebud film :confused:

She does look incredibly cool playing the guitar though.

The quality of all the disks is not good but the whole thing has a slightly surreal air to it.

Gail

macfan 57 02-10-2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

There's not too many interviews with Chris but a lot of backstage footage of not very high quality. At one point she's talking to a lady who I think is Mick's mum. The first disk starts off with them playing World Turning at an outdoor venue and the title comes up as "A film by Rosebud" but from what your're saying it doesn't sound like the Rosebud film :confused:

She does look incredibly cool playing the guitar though.

The quality of all the disks is not good but the whole thing has a slightly surreal air to it.

Gail

You must have a bunch of stuff spliced together, including Rosebud & some of the Japan footage. The Japan doc has 2 casual interviews with her. One of them, the interviewer asks her what it's like to be a sex symbol & she replies, "I don't know, ask Stevie Nicks":lol: :lol: She also talks a bit about her dog. Mick's mother is in the footage that I have too.

Gailh 02-10-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

You must have a bunch of stuff spliced together, including Rosebud & some of the Japan footage. The Japan doc has 2 casual interviews with her. One of them, the interviewer asks her what it's like to be a sex symbol & she replies, "I don't know, ask Stevie Nicks":lol: :lol: She also talks a bit about her dog. Mick's mother is in the footage that I have too.

Yes I think you're right I've got a bit of a mixture. It definately hasn't got the "I dunno ask Stevie Nicks" bit in it. It has got footage of her opening a present and having great difficulty doing so. It turns out to be a small mirror. She kisses the giver of the gift and then says "I really need one of these" She does sound as if she's had a couple of lemonades!

Gail

macfan 57 02-10-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yes I think you're right I've got a bit of a mixture. It definately hasn't got the "I dunno ask Stevie Nicks" bit in it. It has got footage of her opening a present and having great difficulty doing so. It turns out to be a small mirror. She kisses the giver of the gift and then says "I really need one of these" She does sound as if she's had a couple of lemonades!

Gail

I have 2 separate video tapes of the Japan documentary. That's on the second tape(Part 2). There's also alot of great performance footage on that particular tape. You should try to get the first tape(Part 1) sometime. That's where those 2 interviews are. There's also the bit about her dog being gay.:laugh: Very funny stuff!

goldustsongbird 02-10-2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Gail

Yes, it's up on youtube. I LOOOOVE seeing her with a guitar!

Gail, some of the other stuff you mentioned sounds funny. I'd love to see these!

Quote:

"I'm going to have to blow my nose now - don't take a picture of me blowing my nose!"
Hmmmm, I think she meant "powdering"... :D

goldustsongbird 02-10-2006 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=macfan 57]There's also the bit about her dog being gay.QUOTE]

LMAO, what? Dog get into the habit of wearing "lezzo leather jumpsuits" or something? :lol:

macfan 57 02-11-2006 06:38 AM

[QUOTE=goldustsongbird]
Quote:

There's also the bit about her dog being gay.QUOTE]

LMAO, what? Dog get into the habit of wearing "lezzo leather jumpsuits" or something? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: She mentioned that her dog & another dog(both male) liked to "have fun" with each other.:laugh:

Both of those interviews are hilarious. She was totally sloshed & said whatever thought crossed her mind. If you ever get a chance to get the Japan documentary, Part 1, get it. Those 2 very casual interviews are worth it alone. They're both about 10-15 minutes each.

Gailh 02-11-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Yes, it's up on youtube. I LOOOOVE seeing her with a guitar!

Gail, some of the other stuff you mentioned sounds funny. I'd love to see these!

Hmmmm, I think she meant "powdering"... :D

No she does actually blow her nose - quite noisily in fact!

Gail

ThePenguin 02-11-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: She mentioned that her dog & another dog(both male) liked to "have fun" with each other.:laugh:

Yeah, weren't the two dogs brothers or something, and Mick had adopted the other one? And then she said something like they were little and didn't know better.:laugh:

Quote:

Both of those interviews are hilarious. She was totally sloshed & said whatever thought crossed her mind.

I adore that interview footage, she is so funny.
Sloshed as she was, though, she still absolutely refused to get into who Songbird was about, didn't she? This was before she'd come up w/ the 'Songbird was for everybody' story. IMO she knew good and well who she'd written it for, but that song was just too personal for her to want to discuss too deeply, (esp since poor Curry was sitting next to her, knowing good and well it wasn't about him!) That little bit always makes me sort of cringe when I watch it!

-Lis

DavidMn 02-11-2006 04:39 PM

Here I thought this was going to be about Chriustine coming in here and jamming out ALA Ted Nugent.....:lol:

macfan 57 02-11-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Yeah, weren't the two dogs brothers or something, and Mick had adopted the other one? And then she said something like they were little and didn't know better.:laugh:

Yes, that's right. I didn't catch the part about them being little & not knowing any better though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I adore that interview footage, she is so funny.
Sloshed as she was, though, she still absolutely refused to get into who Songbird was about, didn't she? This was before she'd come up w/ the 'Songbird was for everybody' story. IMO she knew good and well who she'd written it for, but that song was just too personal for her to want to discuss too deeply, (esp since poor Curry was sitting next to her, knowing good and well it wasn't about him!) That little bit always makes me sort of cringe when I watch it!

-Lis

She refused to say who "Songbird" was about. She changed the subject when it started to get a little too personal. She also said that she was embarrassed about singing it live & that Mick, John & Lindsey had to talk her into doing it.

goldustsongbird 02-11-2006 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=macfan 57]
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird

Both of those interviews are hilarious. She was totally sloshed & said whatever thought crossed her mind. If you ever get a chance to get the Japan documentary, Part 1, get it. Those 2 very casual interviews are worth it alone. They're both about 10-15 minutes each.

:laugh: That is bloody hilarious! I'd love to see her completely sloshed like that. I know she was on her way during the Tusk doc (stirring her fingers in the drink and everything). That was funny to see. I wonder if anyone has the Japan doc to upload to youtube... *looks around*

macfan 57 02-12-2006 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=goldustsongbird]
Quote:

:laugh: That is bloody hilarious! I'd love to see her completely sloshed like that. I know she was on her way during the Tusk doc (stirring her fingers in the drink and everything). That was funny to see. I wonder if anyone has the Japan doc to upload to youtube... *looks around*

If you think she was drunk on the Tusk documentary, that's nothing compared to this Japan footage.:laugh:

It might be a bit hard to upload the entire Japan footage....it's over 2 and a half hours long. Even those two Christine interview segments probably wouldn't be easy since they're close to a half hour long combined. Maybe if they could somehow be broken up.:confused: It would certainly be worth it.

priestofnothing 03-01-2006 09:47 AM

Save Me A Place w/ Chris on guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-comIT3-eA

David 03-01-2006 11:01 PM

So where does Chris rate on the scale as an acoustic guitarist?

Beginner?
Advanced beginner?
Beginning intermediate?
Advanced intermediate?

My view is she's an advanced beginner (one notch lower than her piano rating).

jbrownsjr 03-02-2006 12:22 AM

Yeah give or take... that sounds about right.

jbrownsjr 03-02-2006 12:27 AM

Maybe just intermediate.....

HomerMcvie 03-02-2006 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David

DON'T make me drive 2000 miles, to whoop ur ass!:blob1: :blob2: :thumbsup:

David 03-02-2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
DON'T make me drive 2000 miles, to whoop ur ass!:blob1: :blob2: :thumbsup:

Let me put the rating into context. You'll agree with me.

Beginner: Stevie Nicks
Advanced Beginner: Christine McVie
Beginning Intermediate: Rick Wakeman
Advanced Intermediate: Cecile Ousset, Oscar Peterson
Advanced: Svjatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Wilhelm Kempff
Freaks: Maurizio Pollini, Glenn Gould

HomerMcvie 03-02-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Let me put the rating into context. You'll agree with me.

Beginner: Stevie Nicks
Advanced Beginner: Christine McVie
Beginning Intermediate: Rick Wakeman
Advanced: Svjatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Wilhelm Kempff
Freaks: Maurizio Pollini, Glenn Gould

Surely to god, Christine is more than one step ahead of "I can plonk, plonk, plonk, any song, as long as it's in F - Nicks".
Chris' playing perfectly suited the songs, and I'm not sure that more advanced playing wouldn't have detracted from the songs. Her voice, and compositions, were equally as important(probably more) than her keyboard dexterity.

I mean, geez, thank god she wasn't the Eddie Van Halen of piano. That would've sucked(for everyone but you).:lol:

chiliD 03-02-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

I mean, geez, thank god she wasn't the Eddie Van Halen of piano. That would've sucked(for everyone but you).:lol:

That means she would've needed a hip replacement already!

I've heard that she DID drink EVH under the table a couple of times, though. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 03-02-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
That means she would've needed a hip replacement already!

I've heard that she DID drink EVH under the table a couple of times, though. :laugh:

And it's too bad she gave up the drinking. It's always been a dream of mine, to challenge her. I think I could take her!:o

David 03-02-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Surely to god, Christine is more than one step ahead of "I can plonk, plonk, plonk, any song, as long as it's in F - Nicks".

Well, if you look at my rating, you'll see that there is simply no other level at which to put poor Chris.
Quote:

Chris' playing perfectly suited the songs, and I'm not sure that more advanced playing wouldn't have detracted from the songs. Her voice, and compositions, were equally as important(probably more) than her keyboard dexterity.
Yes yes yes, of course I agree. But I'm not talking about style or appositeness per se. I'm talking about technique in the most general possible sense.
Quote:

Oh that would have sucked to me, too. I despise the technique-for-technique's-sake approach in rock & roll, which is partly why I can't stand so much of it. I find it vapid. I have no interest in Satriani or Malmsteen or any of the other facile technicians. I never got into Vito because, despite the fantastic technique that others assured me he had, his style didn't interest me.

Rock is no place for virtuosity.

chiliD 03-02-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Good thing I HIDE my virtuosity, then. :D

SteveMacD 03-02-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

I have no interest in Satriani or Malmsteen or any of the other facile technicians.

That stuff bores me to tears, and honestly, I bet more folks agree, too. It's half the reason I love Keith Richards. "Start Me Up" is one of the bone easiest things to play, and almost everybody recognizes it.
Quote:

I never got into Vito because, despite the fantastic technique that others assured me he had, his style didn't interest me.

The problem with Rick was that he was a session musician. He was more concerned about giving the others what they wanted rather than what he felt the song needed. Unlike Welch or Buckingham, Rick really didn't have any limitations as a player, which is great when backing an artist, but is bad when being in a band, as it takes some of the personality away from the music (and, many of the songs he had to work with were already short on personality to begin with).

Rick obviously wrote songs and could sing, but I don't think he had given much thought as to what he wanted to accomplish as a featured artist, as opposed to a supporting artist. If Mick and John got back together with Billy, Rick, and Bekka today and let them decide the direction of the band (i.e. not playing so many songs from "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours," instead opting for originals), I bet it would be a completely different beast than what it was from '87-95.
Quote:

To a point, I agree. Although, I'd have to make a major exception for somebody like Clarence White (RIP) who was a virtuoso, but was literally inventive in his approach (i.e. the b-bender).

TomBanks147 03-02-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Are you joking :eek: :eek: :eek: My dad is a huge fan of Oscar Peterson and is always listening to him. That guy is incredible on piano considering half the time hes imporvising.

Quote:

I'd say shes no better on guitar than Stevie is on pianno. Strumming major minor chords like that is something that can be picked up very quickly. Granted I haven't seen her play anything else on guitar than those two songs but what I have seen is beginer stuff really.

TomBanks147 03-02-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

To be fair Stevies instrument is her Voice. She may be a lousy Piano player but as far as voices goes she's pretty much expert as far as I am concerned. She sings from her heart, her voice has a great range, and a distinctive sound. In my opinion this what makes her a brilliant musician. She doesn't need a pianno to do what she does and no one does Stevie Nicks better than Stevie Nicks.

Out of intrest I wonder who is better on guitar between Stevie and Christine.

SteveMacD 03-02-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBanks147
her voice has a great range

:lol:

STEVIE NICKS' VOICE HAS A GREAT RANGE??? Since when???

chiliD 03-02-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
:lol:

STEVIE NICKS' VOICE HAS A GREAT RANGE??? Since when???

Steve, have you not read the recent AMA report on the merits of only having a 1/3 of an octave range? :shocked:

TomBanks147 03-02-2006 05:45 PM

Stevie has a greater range than any toher member of FM has had.

David 03-02-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Are you joking :eek: :eek: :eek: My dad is a huge fan of Oscar Peterson and is always listening to him. That guy is incredible on piano considering half the time hes imporvising.

Oscar is one of my heroes. But look at the ranking: ignore the title of each level & just look at the surrounding ranks. I group Peterson with Ousset, & below Richter & Kempff. Surely anyone who knows about keyboard playing & technique wouldn't argue with that! (undoubtedly not even Oscar)

Maybe instead of labeling each level, I should have just named each one "Level 1," "Level 2," "Level 3," etc. I think it's the "intermediate" that throws people off.

David 03-02-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Stevie has a greater range than any toher member of FM has had.

In the past? Currently? What is Stevie's current range? Have you pinpointed it? My guess -- just off the cuff -- is that it's about a 10th or an 11th in the comfort-singing range. Beyond that, it's probably straining noticeably.

I would say Christine's range is at least that much, as demonstrated on her album last year.

TomBanks147 03-02-2006 06:03 PM

I would be intrested to see where you would rank Satriani, Lindsey, Vito amongst other guitarists in a list.

I'm intrested in other musican persepctives on whos better than who. Personally Satriani bores me to tears hes so predictable but his talent is undeniable

TomBanks147 03-02-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

In the past? Currently? What is Stevie's current range? Have you pinpointed it? My guess -- just off the cuff -- is that it's about a 10th or an 11th in the comfort-singing range. Beyond that, it's probably straining noticeably.

I would say Christine's range is at least that much, as demonstrated on her album last year.

I don't really know anything technical about singing so I coudn't say.

I love Stevies Voice when it strains a little. I also love christines singing but half an hour of it is enough for me im afraid. People on this forum seem to put down Stevie an awful lot especially the Chris fans. I don't really understand why.

macfan 57 03-02-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Stevie has a greater range than any other member of FM has had.

Where's Homer? He'd have a field day with that statement.;) :D