The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Stretch (aka The Fake Fleetwood Mac) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=40375)

chriskisn 05-22-2009 10:35 PM

Stretch (aka The Fake Fleetwood Mac)

I was listening to Stretch's "Why Did You Do It" today (supposedly about Mick Fleetwood's failure to join the fake Fleetwood Mac tour).

It got me wondering, do any bootlegs exist of the fake FM performing as Fleetwood Mac? I've never heard of any, but was wondering if anyone else had?

Just listening to the Stretch album Elastique, I have no idea how they could ever have been passed off as Fleetwood Mac...

SteveMacD 05-22-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 821906)
Just listening to the Stretch album Elastique, I have no idea how they could ever have been passed off as Fleetwood Mac...

Keep in mind that they were playing under the notion that Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie would be rejoining the band. The bassist looked a bit like John McVie and Elmer Gantry looked a bit like Bob Welch. The visual, especially if Mick and Christine had returned, would've been there.

However, it wouldn't have been too hard to believe, considering in like six years they went from Shake Your Moneymaker to Hypnotized.

Check out the video

chriskisn 05-23-2009 02:47 AM

A search on the net doesn't dig up many photos of the band, but I found these two

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...sn/Stretch.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/Stretch2.jpg

I can see your point Steve about Elmer Gantry (Dave Terry) looking like Bob Welch...I guess it wouldn't have been hard to pass them off for appearances, but as soon as they opened their mouths it might not have worked - Bob Welch is pretty distinctive vocally.

Almost Simon 05-23-2009 10:48 AM

The drummer was, I believe, Jeff Rich who had a long career with Status Quo in the 80's/90's.

That song is a great tune, by the way.

wetcamelfood 05-23-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 821940)
The drummer was, I believe, Jeff Rich who had a long career with Status Quo in the 80's/90's.

That song is a great tune, by the way.

Yes but Craig Collinge was the drummer for the band when they were posing as "the new Fleetwood Mac".

John

Almost Simon 05-23-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 821944)
Yes but Craig Collinge was the drummer for the band when they were posing as "the new Fleetwood Mac".

John

Didn't know that.

Almost Simon 05-23-2009 01:54 PM

Who was that keyboard player who was interviewed as part of the Mac's BBC 'Rock Family Tree's' show??

wetcamelfood 05-23-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 821969)
Who was that keyboard player who was interviewed as part of the Mac's BBC 'Rock Family Tree's' show??

Dave Wilkinson, he was also in Chicken Shack for a short while too.

John

monkeydevil 05-25-2009 01:38 AM

Did the fake Mac perform Fleetwood Mac songs during their brief tour? Or their oown material? I guess they played mac songs since they supposedly were under the impression that some of the other mac members werre about to join them down the road.

Anyone here that eyewitnessed this tour?

chiliD 05-25-2009 04:53 AM

I had tickets for a Fleetwood Mac/Deep Purple show in Long Beach, but a local DJ somehow had gotten wind of the deception and kept announcing over the air that anyone who had tickets to demand a refund...so, I did. That was going to have been my first Fleetwood Mac concert...but, now I wish I would've gone anyway, just for the historical value.

Peter Green's pal, Nigel Watson played with Stretch for a while, too; but well after the Fake Mac debacle.

The bass player went on to play in the band ROSS that was signed to RSO records and opened for Eric Clapton on most of his 1974 "comeback" tour. They were pretty good.

aleuzzi 05-26-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 821917)
A search on the net doesn't dig up many photos of the band, but I found these two

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...sn/Stretch.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/Stretch2.jpg

I can see your point Steve about Elmer Gantry (Dave Terry) looking like Bob Welch...I guess it wouldn't have been hard to pass them off for appearances, but as soon as they opened their mouths it might not have worked - Bob Welch is pretty distinctive vocally.

I had never seen these photos. Thank you!

michelej1 02-09-2012 10:42 PM

From Music News
http://www.music-news.com/showreview...nReviewID=7840

Those of a certain age will remember Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera who produced a stunning rock/psych album in the late '60's. Elmer Gantry then went off and surfaced on what was supposed to be the new incarnation of Fleetwood Mac before Mick Fleetwood disowned the project and put together his own new Fleetwood Mac without Gantry. Gantry then got together with Kirby Gregory, late of Curved Air, and formed Stretch who are themselves famous for their 1975 hit 'Why Did You Do It?' - a direct attack on Fleetwood but also one of the funkiest songs ever to have been released by a white band and featuring Gantry's growl at its best.

Wouter Vuijk 02-10-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 821969)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 821974)
Dave Wilkinson, he was also in Chicken Shack for a short while too.

John

Here he is with Chicken Shack. I had it on VHS but fortunately managed to convert to digital to upload to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdc1S82LMs

Check out I'd Rather Go Blind as well, it's pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl0k4oyBN4o

Cheers,
Wouter

Street_Dreamer 02-10-2012 10:36 AM

I recently found out through Facebook that the fake FM had a show up in these parts. I don't remember if it was cancelled or actually happened...

Matt

jdf 02-24-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1039395)
I recently found out through Facebook that the fake FM had a show up in these parts. I don't remember if it was cancelled or actually happened...

Matt

MATT it actually HAPPENED! You're right, Stretch is back and they played at the Borderline London, UK on Jan 28 2012. It's our second gig in the last 35 years, Elmer Gantry was joking - and yes Stretch cannot be compared with FM, different music maybe but it was interesting - as an encore they played a Peter Green song - Stop Messin Round:

They also played Showbiz Blues by P.G. - awesome Saturday night!

jdf 02-24-2012 06:27 PM

and for those who wants to know more about the bogus FM band - all their CDs are still available (www.repertoirerecords.com) and they issued a new one in late 2011 - Unfinished Business - right after 35 years and Stretch is still a great LIVE band!

cheers
Juergen

jdf 02-25-2012 01:27 AM

Why Did You Do It? See how they sound today! This funky hit of Stretch is not typical for Stretch, they play(ed) a kind of Blues Rock. But Why Did You Do It? launched a bit their career in the 70s. And the song was written by guitarist Kirby (Graham Gregory) and accused Mick Fleetwood, for what he did in the early 70s. I guess the third person was Cliff Davis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why Did You Do It

I've been thinking 'bout what you have done to me
The damage is much deeper than you'll ever see
Hit me like a hammer to my head
I wonder were you pushed or were you led?

Chorus:
Why did you do it? Why did you do that thing to me?
The only one who knows the truth,
Man it's him me and you.

My friends they listen to the things I say
They listen and they hear more everyday
But I know they never understand it
Because it was no accident you planned it.

Chorus:
Man it's him me and you.

(spoken: one, two)
(instrumental)

Man it's him me and you.

michelej1 03-01-2014 03:13 PM

[Rolling Stone looks back 40 years to its February 28, 1974 issue]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-cher-20140301

2. Fake Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac's manager put a version of the band on the road without any actual members of Fleetwood Mac (who were then Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Bob Welch, and Bob Weston; Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined at the end of the year). "Basically what it boils down to is the manager flipped his lid," Welch said. "He can put four dogs barking on a leash and call it Fleetwood Mac."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2ukBLDZek
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

chriskisn 03-02-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdf (Post 1041374)

Why Did You Do It? See how they sound today! This funky hit of Stretch is not typical for Stretch, they play(ed) a kind of Blues Rock. But Why Did You Do It? launched a bit their career in the 70s. And the song was written by guitarist Kirby (Graham Gregory) and accused Mick Fleetwood, for what he did in the early 70s. I guess the third person was Cliff Davis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why Did You Do It

Chorus:
Man it's him me and you.

My friends they listen to the things I say
They listen and they hear more everyday
But I know they never understand it
Because it was no accident you planned it.

Chorus:
Man it's him me and you.

(spoken: one, two)
(instrumental)

Man it's him me and you.

I always suspected the "third" person in the song was not Clifford but God. He's basically saying there is only one person who knows the truth and then to bring a third person in would completely contradict the previous line.

So in my eyes it should be:

Man it's Him, me and you.

(with the obvious capitalisation for the religious)

Jimi Mac 03-02-2014 06:58 AM

I do know it's hard to find much information on the subject on the internet, and I've not yet found any vids or audio of the fake Mac on YouTube...

They really ain't half bad...

They still do a smattering of Fleetwood Mac tunes in their set...

I still wonder if any of 'em were in-the-know, or if they were completely victims of the management endeavor that was a hoax of the band when all was said and done...

I certainly don't hold any animus toward them for the debacle, Fleetwood Mac had enough bizarre history that this part of it fits right in...

SteveMacD 03-03-2014 01:27 AM

Elmer Gantry/Dave Terry played had ties to the Strawbs (which originally featured the amazing Sandy Denny) and the Alan Parsons Group (Eye of the Sky). Those guys weren't slouches, and I suspect they got into a situation that quickly escalated out of their control. I actually believe they thought Mick and Christine were coming back at some point.

I hate to give Cliff an ounce of credit, but at least he didn't put any of the ex-Mac in that band, as he easily could have. Imagine if he had gotten Danny, Walker, Weston, and Brunning on board for that tour. That could have quickly become an issue for Mick, John, Christine, and Welch. That it was a band of musicians that had nothing to do with Fleetwood Mac really helped the real Fleetwood Mac's cause.

chriskisn 03-03-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1121779)
Imagine if he had gotten Danny, Walker, Weston, and Brunning on board

Damn you Clifford, why didn't you think of this? :lol:

wetcamelfood 03-03-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1121787)
Damn you Clifford, why didn't you think of this? :lol:

LOL! Well, Brunning probably wouldn't have done it due to his teaching career, Walker and Weston might've (if Dave got sober & if Weston knew how much the affair was going to affect his career) but of course real roll of the dice on Danny at that point as we don't even know why Hungry Fighter split up after one gig (which could've been a deal breaker depending if there were issues between Danny & DW, if not for drinking or mental health issues). Having said this, Hungry Fighter hadn't even been formed yet at that point so who knows. Anyway, this does make for fun what if games. :)

John

SteveMacD 03-04-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1121844)
& if Weston knew how much the affair was going to affect his career

Well, he did THIS with Murray "One Night In Bangkok" Head.

WGAF, you ask?

Well, basically The Who , minus Pete, but with Jimmy McCulloch (McCartney & Wings) did...

SteveMacD 03-04-2014 03:01 AM

If I could ever go to my grave saying that I influenced The Who, then mission accomplished!

dansven 03-04-2014 05:36 AM

Does anybody know more about Hungry Fighter?
What was the line-up apart from Kirwan and Weston? Andy Silvester???
Is there any info regarding setlist for that one gig?
Any photos? Gig posters? Or live recording circulating?

wetcamelfood 03-04-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1121865)
Well, he did THIS with Murray "One Night In Bangkok" Head.

Oh yeah I love what he did with Murray and I suppose that ended up being the closest to other success he ended up getting, I just can't shake Weston's quote in Rock Family Trees when he confessed that his affair with Jenny was "the most expensive affair I've ever had of my life, cost me a career that did".

John

wetcamelfood 03-04-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansven (Post 1121868)
Does anybody know more about Hungry Fighter?
What was the line-up apart from Kirwan and Weston? Andy Silvester???
Is there any info regarding setlist for that one gig?
Any photos? Gig posters? Or live recording circulating?

Yeah, Silvester on bass, Paul Raymond on keys & Mac Poole (friend of DW's from Birmingham) on drums. There seems to be some write ups on line claiming Dave Bidwell was the drummer but Poole is who DW spoke of when asked about Hungry Fighter on his Penguin Q&A here. Doesn't appear Weston was part of this. The one gig was at the University of Surrey at Guilford. Highly doubt a boot of this show exists but who knows. Couldn't find anything on the set list but it'd sure make sense if they played some assemblance of Look Around You.

John

chriskisn 03-04-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1121884)
Yeah, Silvester on bass, Paul Raymond on keys & Mac Poole (friend of DW's from Birmingham) on drums. There seems to be some write ups on line claiming Dave Bidwell was the drummer but Poole is who DW spoke of when asked about Hungry Fighter on his Penguin Q&A here. Doesn't appear Weston was part of this. The one gig was at the University of Surrey at Guilford. Highly doubt a boot of this show exists but who knows. Couldn't find anything on the set list but it'd sure make sense if they played some assemblance of Look Around You.

John

Did that gig ever actually happen? I know the universities are different but that perhaps is only Dave's confused memory?

http://dmme.net/interviews/dwalker.html

Interviewer: - There was some accident before the HUNGRY FIGHTER’s only gig. What happened?

Dave Walker: "The road crew who were helping HUNGRY FIGHTER were working the night before our gig at London University with another band. On the way home from that gig, they were involved in a serious road accident in which our roadie, John Knowles, was badly injured, and the equipment we were to use was, by and large, destroyed. We did not play, as the headline band would not loan us any of their gear."

dansven 03-05-2014 07:21 AM

Thanks wetcamelfood and chriskisn. :)
At least that's some info about this obscure band.
I have a vague memory of reading someplace that they rehearsed Danny's "Odds And Ends" (maybe it was Andy Silvester who said it).
No one can really tell, but I think they could have been interesting..... :)

wetcamelfood 03-05-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1121899)
Did that gig ever actually happen? I know the universities are different but that perhaps is only Dave's confused memory?

http://dmme.net/interviews/dwalker.html

Interviewer: - There was some accident before the HUNGRY FIGHTER’s only gig. What happened?

Dave Walker: "The road crew who were helping HUNGRY FIGHTER were working the night before our gig at London University with another band. On the way home from that gig, they were involved in a serious road accident in which our roadie, John Knowles, was badly injured, and the equipment we were to use was, by and large, destroyed. We did not play, as the headline band would not loan us any of their gear."

Wow, you know, this is what I hate about interviews. You can't go by current ones because they are plugging their product and just say how great the new album is etc. then older ones, they conflict each other. Oh well, guess this one will always be an enigma. :)

John

Wouter Vuijk 03-05-2014 08:56 PM

What kind of music did Hungry Fighter play. I had never heard of this band so every mention really astonishes me.
:wavey:

SteveMacD 03-06-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 1121936)
What kind of music did Hungry Fighter play. I had never heard of this band so every mention really astonishes me.
:wavey:

Going out on a limb, but blues rock boogie. I mean, there was Danny, Walker, and a couple of guys from Chicken Shack.

dansven 03-06-2014 03:20 AM

There's a song called "Look Around You" on Danny's solo album "Midnight In San Juan" (a couple of years after Hungry Fighter). This song was written by Dave Walker. It could have orginated from the Hungry Fighter project... :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN6M5hWU_5U

chriskisn 03-06-2014 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1121923)
Wow, you know, this is what I hate about interviews. You can't go by current ones because they are plugging their product and just say how great the new album is etc. then older ones, they conflict each other. Oh well, guess this one will always be an enigma. :)

John

Especially as we know that during that period Dave was so drunk most of the time he probably didn't recall much at all.

It is like that interview when he was asked why that Dave Walker solo album from the late 70's never ended up being released, and he said "Drugs" or something similar.

You know, slight off topic (hell very off topic we've drifted from Stretch to Hungry Fighter) but when sometimes when I hear The Doors I think that the sound that Dave should have been doing, he had the voice, and he could have done it better. If things had worked out with FM, or if he had stayed with Savoy Brown perhaps he would have been a household name now rather than just gigging in Montana bars.

wetcamelfood 03-06-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1121954)
Especially as we know that during that period Dave was so drunk most of the time he probably didn't recall much at all.

It is like that interview when he was asked why that Dave Walker solo album from the late 70's never ended up being released, and he said "Drugs" or something similar.

You know, slight off topic (hell very off topic we've drifted from Stretch to Hungry Fighter) but when sometimes when I hear The Doors I think that the sound that Dave should have been doing, he had the voice, and he could have done it better. If things had worked out with FM, or if he had stayed with Savoy Brown perhaps he would have been a household name now rather than just gigging in Montana bars.

Yeah, certainly LA Woman and their more blues type stuff. I guess Riders On The Storm has the Donovan's Brain psych-rock kind of thing going on too which may have appealed to Dave. I'll never understand why The Doors didn't just have Full Circle and Other Voices be instrumental albums. I guess they thought of the band in a much different way though (if Howard Werth was going to be Morrison's replacement, instead of DW I mean).

John

SteveMacD 03-06-2014 08:49 PM

He could have done a great cover of BTO's "Let It Roll"

FuzzyPlum 10-25-2014 04:13 PM

Is there any chance that Mick could have been in on the fake FM episode after all? I'd always taken his version of events as gospel. However, I'm increasingly starting to feel that perhaps not everything he says should be taken at face value- bit of a schemer, old Mick. Any thoughts?

dansven 10-25-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1151154)
Is there any chance that Mick could have been in on the fake FM episode after all? I'd always taken his version of events as gospel. However, I'm increasingly starting to feel that perhaps not everything he says should be taken at face value- bit of a schemer, old Mick. Any thoughts?

Haha, interesting thought! ;)
But if that was the case, why wouldn't poor Clifford Davis (who has turned out to be Mr.Bad Manager) have said anything about it...?

FuzzyPlum 10-25-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansven (Post 1151158)
Haha, interesting thought! ;)
But if that was the case, why wouldn't poor Clifford Davis (who has turned out to be Mr.Bad Manager) have said anything about it...?

Well, I don't know much about the long, drawn out legal case but perhaps his silence was part of the settlement.
The ex-Stretch members still seem to believe Mick was due to join up with them at some point on that tour.