The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So… what are your TOP 6 favorite songs so far from 24 Karat Gold... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54328)

Jondalar 10-02-2014 05:30 PM

So… what are your TOP 6 favorite songs so far from 24 Karat Gold...

Note: This probably isn't that fair to the songs like The Dealer or Lady that came out first because they are not in the forefront of your minds while you are encoding the new material.
And tastes change. What are my favorite songs today probably won't be in a month. THIS IS REALLY HARD! The whole album is awesome. Mabel even grew on me. :)

So far these are my TOP 6...

1. If You Were My Love
2. Hard Advice
3. 24 Karat Gold
4. The Dealer
5. Belle Fleur
6. Blue Water

sorcerer999 10-02-2014 05:43 PM

You're right. Tastes change. Favorites change. Songs you once hated can grow into top favorites after decades (which is what happened to a lot of songs on RAL and TOSOTM for me, personally). What started as favorite songs off of IYD a mere three years ago have now become blah to me. So yeah, it's still kind of too early to make a true assessment of this album, as a couple of songs I initially disliked are really growing on me now...

...but as of right now (and in no particular order) the six songs I can honestly say that I keep coming back to over and over again on this new album are...

"If You Were My Love"
"24 Karat Gold"
"Belle Fleur"
"All The Beautiful Worlds"
"Watch Chain"
"Hard Advice"

Jondalar 10-02-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1146247)
You're right. Tastes change. Favorites change. Songs you once hated can grow into top favorites after decades (which is what happened to a lot of songs on RAL and TOSOTM for me, personally). What started as favorite songs off of IYD a mere three years ago have now become blah to me. So yeah, it's still kind of too early to make a true assessment of this album, as a couple of songs I initially disliked are really growing on me now...

...but as of right now (and in no particular order) the six songs I can honestly say that I keep coming back to over and over again on this new album are...

"If You Were My Love"
"24 Karat Gold"
"Belle Fleur"
"All The Beautiful Worlds"
"Watch Chain"
"Hard Advice"

Thanks. I should not of numbered mine either. Not really fair to do that. Beautiful Worlds keeps sounding better and better to me. I knew the song so well it was hard to get into. Love it. and Watch Chain.

Machu 10-02-2014 05:45 PM

I am still holding out on Watch Chain and Twisted until I get the deluxe CD (and my lists are ever-changing) but so far...

1. 24 Karat Gold
2. Belle Fleur
3. All The Beautiful Worlds
4. Blue Water
5. Mabel Normand
6. Starshine

markolas 10-02-2014 05:46 PM

Starshine
The Dealer
Mabel Normand
24 Karat Gold
All the Beautiful Worlds
If You Were My Love

Artemis 10-02-2014 05:48 PM

All The Beautiful Worlds
Watch Chain
24 Karat Gold
Hard Advice
Blue Water
Mabel Normand

Jondalar 10-02-2014 05:49 PM

Thanks. Mabel is getting some love...

Frankenstein 10-02-2014 05:53 PM

1. Mabel Normand
2. All The Beautiful Worlds
3. If You Were My Love
4. 24 Karat Gold
5. Lady

goldenground 10-02-2014 05:55 PM

1. Mabel Normand -- I absolutely love the free verse on here, although the lyrics are still a bit of a mess, it works. The music is moving and the sense of urgency in Stevie's delivery makes this a memorable track. Who would have thought the epic weirdness that was RAL would translate so well now? because it totally does here. I even like that there's no real chorus, it gives that verse "You just change sides" (the closest thing to a chorus) a much bigger impact and then lets the stream of consciousness carry you. It's a lot different than anything Stevie's done in the last ten years, and was a pretty gutsy move on her part to include it. She pulled it off brilliantly.

2. 24 Karat Gold -- What can I say? classic Stevie Nicks here. The song is atmospheric and witchy. I also really like the base throughout the song. A+.

3. All The Beautiful Worlds -- I love how true this stayed to the demo, the girls rocked on this one. And when did Stevie find her voice?? I felt like I was in a time warp. It really gets heavy near the end. So happy with it.

4. Belle Fleur -- I LOVE the intro and how funky it gets. I didn't expect this from hearing the demo and was pleasantly surprised as I didn't really care for the song before.

5. Hard Advice -- I read the lyrics first and prepared myself for the worst. I wasn't impressed to say the least, and was expecting a rehash of "That Made Me Stronger" *cringe*. However, I was so happy when I finally heard it. It flows so beautifully and has a fragility that's incredibly touching.

6. Twisted -- Although I was initially disappointed that this made it onto the record, I love how it turned out. It's very true to the Enchanted demo, and the calm wistfulness translates well into the song. It's beautiful.

Andyleo 10-02-2014 06:04 PM

Mabel Normand
24 Karat Gold
Belle Fleur
All The Beautiful Worlds
Starshine
Blue Water

In that order, favourite down. I can't stop playing Mabel at the moment. What a stellar vocal driven by that relentless surging beat. Wow.:thumbsup:
I'm blown away by 3/4 of the album. Watch Chain is starting to grow on me now I've heard it half a dozen times... could soon become a top 6 for me

:D

Nickingham 10-02-2014 06:13 PM

24 Karat Gold
Mabel Normand
All The Beautiful Worlds
I Don't Care
Belle Fleur
If You Were My Love

KarmaContestant 10-02-2014 06:19 PM

24 Karat Gold
Mabel Normand
Watch Chain
Blue Water
Twisted
Hard Advice

WatchChain 10-02-2014 07:15 PM

1) Twisted
2) Watch Chain
3) Hard Advice
4) 24 Karat Gold
5) Blue Water
6) Cathouse Blues

welcomechris 10-02-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1146281)
1) Twisted
2) Watch Chain
3) Hard Advice
4) 24 Karat Gold
5) Blue Water
6) Cathouse Blues

Watch Chain is #2 and not number 1? Maybe your username should be "Twisted" instead of "WatchChain"

:lol::]:xoxo:

tabruns 10-02-2014 08:18 PM

Wow, pretty early and this could change but:

1. 24 Karat Gold <--I really think this is a classic up there with Dreams, Sara, Gypsy
2. Mabel Normand
3. Starshine
4. The Dealer
5. Lady
6. Belle Fleur

I would have said "If You Were My Love" but I just really like the Mirage demo a lot more.

vivfox 10-02-2014 08:36 PM

All The Beautiful Worlds
Mable Normand
Watch Chain
Hard Advice
24 Karat Gold
I Don't Care

WatchChain 10-02-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1146285)
Watch Chain is #2 and not number 1? Maybe your username should be "Twisted" instead of "WatchChain"

:lol::]:xoxo:

Honeychild, I AM TWISTED !!! Plus, I'm a freakin off the chain, Watch Chain!! Moreover, when I get a few drinks in me, I turn into Mabel Normand.....that b**ch ain't got nothing on me!! :wavey::blob2:

PS. Just don't call me Jane!!!

StevieNicksfann 10-02-2014 09:08 PM

1) The Dealer
2) Twisted
3) 24 Karat Gold
4) All The Beautiful Worlds
5) Lady
6) Belle Fleur

BlueLight 10-02-2014 09:11 PM

In no particular order:

24 Karat Gold (ok, I lied - this is my fav - obsessed with this song, and can't stop listening);
Mabel Normand (amazing vocals, again, can't stop listening);
All the Beautiful Worlds (huge surprise, as I never loved the demo);
Twisted (Stevie sounds 30 years younger on this song);
Lady (tears!); and
If You Were My Love (not the Mirage-style song I was hoping for, but stellar vocals, and LOVE that ending).

rockalilcutie25 10-02-2014 09:27 PM

1. Mabel Normand
2. Hard Advice
3. Carousel
4. I Don't Care
5. Twisted
6. 24 Karat Gold

I love this whole record actually, top 6 was tough! I think this is Stevie's best album ever....just my opinion.

fairydust75 10-02-2014 09:42 PM

1. All the Beautiful Worlds
2. If You Were My Love
3. 24K Gold
4. Belle Fleur
5. Starshine
6. Blue Water

:xoxo:

PenguinHead 10-02-2014 09:47 PM

Mabel Normand
24 Karat Gold
All The Beautiful Worlds
I Don't Care
Hard Advice
The Dealer

tabruns 10-02-2014 09:53 PM

The ballads are starting to grow on me. I'm starting to like "If You Were My Love" as a tragic love song without the jaunty Mirage take. The flute in "She Loves Him Still" turns it into a lovely gaelic ballad. Originally "All the Beautiful Worlds" seemed better than the previous too, but I'm not sure anymore.

sorcerer999 10-02-2014 09:58 PM

I love that 24 Karat Gold (the song) is on EVERYONE's list...as well it should be!!! It is destined to go down as one of the best songs she's ever recorded and I predict will be included on every greatest hits/boxed set/compilation from here on out. :nod:

tabruns 10-02-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1146356)
I love that 24 Karat Gold (the song) is on EVERYONE's list...as well it should be!!! It is destined to go down as one of the best songs she's ever recorded and I predict will be included on every greatest hits/boxed set/compilation from here on out. :nod:

I agree. As I've said, it blows my mind that it never made a Mac album.

Aussie W/Heart 10-02-2014 10:28 PM

Love the whole album, so this is hard.

#1 24 Karat Gold
#2 All The Beautiful Worlds
#3 Belle Fleur
#4 Mable Normand
#6 If You Were My Love
Oh then there's Lady and I Don't Care :thumbsup:

jwd 10-02-2014 10:38 PM

1. Mabel Normand
2. I Don't Care
3. All The Beautiful Worlds
4. 24K Gold
5. Blue Water
6. Hard Advice

Bubbling under, Belle Fleur.

Top 4 are solid picks for me.

nicole21290 10-02-2014 10:58 PM

24 Karat Gold
Belle Fleur
Hard Advice
I Don't Care
Twisted
Lady

Might be able to swap the last three with any of the below, or a combination thereof. I need more than one listen first, really...

All The Beautiful Worlds
If You Were My Love
Mabel Normand
Blue Water

gssmith 10-02-2014 11:10 PM

1) Belle Fluer (my favorite!! Good lyrics, great music love the intro. Hope she does this live. I bet she will. Such a hippie song)
2) Mabel Normnd (big surprise didn't expect to like it, let alone love it)
3) All the beautiful worlds (great vocals! I did expect this to be one of the best though)
4) 24 Karat (gold dust woman/sisters of the moon vibe) my friend said it also sounds like dreams that bass!
5) She lives him still (beautiful, sad, only Stevie. Great, great lyrics!
6) blue water (I didn't care for the demo so another surprise. I do like the mans voice)

All these song are great! I thought I'd like I Dont Care more. But it needs more lyrics. I usually like her rockers, but I listen to the slower songs more, songs like: If you were my love, Carousel, Blue water, she loves him still.

Best album ever!! I got a record player just for this. Now I'm listing to Tusk on vinyl. Vinyl really doesn't sound as good as cd/headphones like people have said. But it's interesting anyway. Cool experience.

GypsyVisions 10-03-2014 12:39 AM

I'm taking all of the tracks into account.

It's really hard to choose, because I love the whole album...but:

24 Karat Gold
Mabel Normand
Lady
Twisted
All The Beautiful Worlds
Hard Advice

:)

HoursAndHours 10-03-2014 07:56 AM

Belle Fleur
Watch Chain
All The Beautiful Worlds
Blue Water
Mabel Normand
24 Karat Gold

DauphineMarie 10-03-2014 08:35 AM

Mabel Normand
If You Were My Love
All the Beautiful Worlds
Cathouse Blues
Watch Chain
Belle Fleur

TheWILDheart 10-03-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gssmith (Post 1146393)
1) I got a record player just for this. Now I'm listing to Tusk on vinyl. Vinyl really doesn't sound as good as cd/headphones like people have said. But it's interesting anyway. Cool experience.

The sound quality when you first play an original pressing vinyl is far superior to CD quality. If your copy of Tusk was an original 79 pressing that had never been played, the sound would blow you away.

The problem with vinyl, of course, is that it wears out quickly and is easilly damaged.

Unfortunately, with these modern vinyl's, the sound quality is pretty much the same as the CD as the same mastering process is used for both. And as it's vinyl, it wears out quicker.

KarmaContestant 10-03-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWILDheart (Post 1146462)
The sound quality when you first play an original pressing vinyl is far superior to CD quality. If your copy of Tusk was an original 79 pressing that had never been played, the sound would blow you away.

The problem with vinyl, of course, is that it wears out quickly and is easilly damaged.

Unfortunately, with these modern vinyl's, the sound quality is pretty much the same as the CD as the same mastering process is used for both. And as it's vinyl, it wears out quicker.

Also, needle quality. I have hundreds of albums on both CD and viyl, and almost always prefer the vinyl sound (except for dance music). CDs are just louder, not better, though they can be cleaner if you have a poor quality turntable/needle or a dirty record. Even needles need to be cleaned with a carbon fiber brush. I clean the needle after every record.

And mastering techniques - a record should never be made from a CD master, and vice versa, but many labels and bands, hoping to jump on the vinyl bandwagon, do just that and the records they produce sound like crap.

blinker12 10-03-2014 11:27 AM

24 Karat Gold
If You Were My Love
Mabel Normand
The Dealer
Hard Advice
Belle Fleur

I really love the whole two first sides. I'd almost list All the Beautiful for that vocal alone.

louielouie2000 10-03-2014 12:23 PM

These are (mostly) in order of preference:

24k Gold
Belle Fleur
If You Were My Love
Mabel Normand
Blue Water
Starshine

Keith 10-04-2014 06:50 AM

ok...

this album is driving me crazy in such a good way. The more I listen, the more I love it!

My six...

Vinyl 1, side 2 (perfection)

24 Karat Gold
Belle Fleur
All the Beautiful Worlds
Lady

and..

Mabel Normand
If You Were My Love

I'm also starting to really like "Blue Water" as I am putting the demo behind me - well, just a little. Also, really love "Hard Advice" and "She Loves Him Still".. beautiful music, Stevie. I'm looking forward to Songs from the Vault, part 2. :nod:

Yep. I bought the doll.

On Ice 10-04-2014 07:59 AM

This stellar album only proves what many of us have known for decades... that many of her best songs stayed in the vault. The good thing is that 24 K only scratches the surface! Really hard to pick a top 6, I really don't see any clunkers on this as some have said.

So, for someone who doesn't really like Rock a Little, I gotta say Mabel Normand is my top pick! This is just wonderful and really has the Stevie vibe that's taken a rest all these years. As for the rest:

All the Beautiful Worlds I would re-title All the Beautiful Vocals, it's just amazingly sung.
24 Karot: I agree, the classic that should have followed all the top names we know and love.
Belle Fleur: best into bar Edge of Seventeen on any solo song she's done, what an amazing build-up.
Watch Chain: Another stellar Mac classic that could've been.
I Don't Care: Love it! The less-lyrics is more works for me on this and I don't care that's it's 6 minutes long, I just care that she cared enough to take this risk and do an epic rocker. Well done Stevie! :p

Richard B 10-04-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWILDheart (Post 1146462)

Vinyl's great, but it's not better than CDs - Vox

dontlookdown 10-04-2014 09:29 AM

I haven't heard the whole thing yet but I'm loving Mabel, Starshine and Watch Chain.
Starshine reminds me of Lou Reed's Vicious.
I keep singing "Starshine, you hit me with a flower".
Mabel reminds me of Bob Dylan.
I was surprised with the guitar on Watch Chain, having had the demo in my head from a bootleg I've had on vinyl since 1979. Love the heavy Warren Zevonish sound.
Loving the title track even though it recalls so much from Dreams.

Liking Hard Advice the least so far. The sound makes me think of mainstream faux "country" music and
that takes me to a bad Republican place in my mind. Feels over-wrought and unfinished.
But - I will say this: the musicianship and production on every track is stellar.
I expect great reviews and a better seller than In Your Dreams.
These Dave Stewart albums are worthy of a place right next to Bella Donna.