The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Not to be morbid but… (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44084)

greendaze5 06-19-2010 12:20 PM

Not to be morbid but…

I recently finished watching the excellent HBO series ‘Six Feet Under’ on DVD. For those who don’t know it’s a quirky show about a family who runs a funeral home in Los Angeles.

Anyways, watching the show made me wonder - what songs(s) would I want at my funeral or memorial if I had one?

Off the top of my head: Stevie’s ‘Touched By An Angel’ or ‘Sleeping Angel’ :angel: comes to mind, and Green Day’s ‘Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)’. :wavey:

What would y’all pick?

MissLadyLoki 06-19-2010 12:25 PM

Hmmm...i know it's morbid, but first off, I'd want my funeral to be a celebration of my life, not a mourning of my death. As for songs, I'd probably have In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin, Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks (I read somewhere the white-winged dove bit is to symbolize death), and I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.

GypsySorcerer 06-19-2010 02:02 PM

Storms - Fleetwood Mac
Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Forever Young - Bob Dylan

Nico 06-19-2010 03:34 PM

In My Life by the Beatles.

Silver Springs 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

Haha. I was just trolling past threads and came across this. I thought I was the only one who had already decided what she wanted for her funeral. I don't want a miserable funeral. I want a fun day. As such I straight out ban black. Anybody wearing black should be issued with a Hawaiian shirt at the door :p Anyhoo, songs :-

* R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People (Sing along version like on Man On The Moon)
* Fleetwood Mac - That's Enough For Me (:p)
* The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

Maybe :-

* Loudon Wainwright III - Heaven

I toyed with the idea of having my favourite song of all time (They Shoot Horses, Don't They by Racing Cars) but that's too depressing lol.

ButterCookie 09-16-2010 04:06 PM

Oh Well part 1 :laugh:

HomerMcvie 09-16-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 910724)
Oh Well part 1 :laugh:

That works for me as well!:blob2:

sara1998 09-16-2010 06:01 PM

Lie in our graves and two step by Dave Matthews.

You should go listen to those RIGHT NOW David!

sara1998 09-16-2010 06:06 PM

And tripping billies!!!

HomerMcvie 09-16-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1998 (Post 910746)
Lie in our graves and two step by Dave Matthews.

You should go listen to those RIGHT NOW David!

You know how much I love Dave Matthews! :mad::mad::mad:

daniellaaarisen 09-16-2010 06:46 PM

"Videotape" - Radiohead
"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
"Beautiful Child" - Fleetwood Mac

I have a list of these on my other computer.... I'll update this later hahaha. Yes, I've thought about this before.... totally morbid!

sara1998 09-16-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 910749)
You know how much I love Dave Matthews! :mad::mad::mad:

:xoxo:

ten!

Zombie 09-17-2010 12:46 AM

No question, no contest - "Lay Me Low" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The "malanderer, badlander and thief" bit in my sig is from this song, actually. The first time I heard it years ago, I knew it would be the perfect funeral song for me, because it's got the perfect mix of f*ck-all-that-noise-I'm-outta-here and narcissistic omg-you-guys-wasn't-I-freakin-awesome.

I'm not sold on the idea that people need to have an actual funeral for me, because they're expensive and it's not like I'm going to know any better, but I can see folks getting together for a drink, listening to this, and laughing - if you know me even slightly, then you'll laugh when you hear it, too.

Plus, it's just a genius song in general. Nick Cave is my co-pilot.

PS - If people do insist on having a funeral for me, then I must insist that this clip of Gaahl from Gorgoroth in the excellent documentary, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey be played, because it's one of the best 24 seconds that ever happened anywhere:

That will never not be hilarious, even when I'm dead.

HomerMcvie 09-17-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1998 (Post 910762)
:xoxo:

ten!

If I had a big tour bus, I'd dump my Dave Matthews filled septic tank, in some really inappropriate public place. Oh wait, maybe I am Dave Matthews(you know this story, right?)! :lol:

tilthefirefades 09-17-2010 01:11 PM

For sure no black allowed. It would have to be a celebration. But I would want a moment of silence so everyone could suffer through "Fireflies" since they all complain about my obsession. But after that, to get the party started

estranged4life 09-19-2010 10:26 AM

The following two will...

be my choices since I already had them played when my wife Debbie died in October 2008:

"Rain" - Yoko Kanno (From episode 5 of Cowboy Bebop "The Ballad of Fallen Angels" - The BEST anime episode in history IMHO)

Jane Siberry - "It Can't Rain All The Time" (From the motion picture "The Crow"...And I am crying as I watch and listen to it at this moment)

jaycee 09-19-2010 10:43 AM

Well, I remember I once commented that I wouldn't be worthy of having John Lennon's "Imagine" played, but I think I'll ultimately change my mind about that. Cat Steven's "Father And Son" could make the mix. Maybe ELO's "Wild West Hero" would sneak in there... Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" would probably be too long, as would The Moody Blues' "Nights In White Satin"... their song "Watching And Waiting" comes in around four minutes though...
Originally I planned to have all these happy/humorous songs! :laugh: However, my favourite songs are mostly rather emotional, if not depressing, so it wouldn't really be representative of me to have happy/humorous songs...

sara1998 09-19-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 910803)
If I had a big tour bus, I'd dump my Dave Matthews filled septic tank, in some really inappropriate public place. Oh wait, maybe I am Dave Matthews(you know this story, right?)! :lol:

I know his bus driver did that. Why might you be Dave?

tilthefirefades 09-19-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estranged4life (Post 911175)
be my choices since I already had them played when my wife Debbie died in October 2008:

"Rain" - Yoko Kanno (From episode 5 of Cowboy Bebop "The Ballad of Fallen Angels" - The BEST anime episode in history IMHO)

:nod: It is an amazing anime, and that is a great episode. My favorite though is Waltz for Venus, it brings me to tears each time.

louielouie2000 09-20-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 910751)
"Beautiful Child" - Fleetwood Mac

That's always been the one I've said I want played for me before they put me into the ground/spread my ashes/whatever. My Father was killed when I was 15, and after his funeral all his buddies hung around the casket at the grave site drinking beer and playing his favorite music. That left a big impression on me, and I've always wanted much the same when I go. Put on some Stevie, let the champagne flow, and talk some sh!t! :laugh:

estranged4life 10-09-2010 12:47 AM

The whole series...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 911275)
:nod: It is an amazing anime, and that is a great episode. My favorite though is Waltz for Venus, it brings me to tears each time.

is amazing, the best anime ever in my opinion - even the movie was great. I can relate to all the characters, minus Ein of course, but if I had to say the one I am most like, it would be Vicious.