The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tusk Tour: 1979-1980 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=34308)

vivfox 10-19-2007 02:01 PM

Tusk Tour: 1979-1980

I'm gonna spend the next year taking you through the Tusk album and Tour. Hopefully you will join me in the memories. I'm only gonna discuss it day by day, according to the current calendar. For example I saw them in Nov.1979 but won't discuss that till the actual date happens, get it?

October 12,1979 Tusk the album was released to radio
October 15,1979 Tusk the album was released in the USA to the public
October 15,1979 I skipped school and went to Belmont Records(store no longer exists) as soon as the store opened in Spfld.,Ma. and bought Tusk(the album)
October 15,1979 P.M.-After enjoying the 45 single TUSK for three weeks and not enjoying the B-side NEVER MAKE ME CRY I couldn't wait to hear what else the band had to offer. I put the album on the turntable and played it over and over and over again. The first song I played tho was Sister's Of The Moon, cause the year before I had read in a concert review that "the only new song the band played was a tune called SOTM" and loved the title so much I couldn't wait to hear it. The concert reviewer also said that was the only song of Stevie's she didn't seem bored with singing that day.
On the Tusk album I loved every song by Stevie, every song by Chris except Never Make Me Cry, and most of Lindsey's songs had me dropping my jaw thinking WTF?
From the very first listen I loved The Ledge,Save Me A Place, That's All For Everyone, Walk A Thine Line,That's Enough For Me and of course Tusk but all the other Lindsey tracks took a long time for me to get into.

In an article in Rolling Stone Magazine that came out around this time the reporter was interviewing the members at a tour rehearsal and I remember Christine saying something like not having enough time to do all the things she needs to get done in the three weeks they have before the tour starts.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...haron/e92d.jpg

I'm also gonna post the individual Tusk Concerts I have for you when the date comes up. This way we get to relive the tour together. Hopefully you'll post your shows too on the proper date. Let's not get ahead of ourselves tho and post ahead of time. The Tour starts on October 26, 1979 in Pocatello, Idaho.

Chrislit18 10-19-2007 02:17 PM

OFF TOPIC:

You're from MA?
thats so cool!!!
I live there too lol!

I would have hated to live in Springfield though, blech. I get creped out in all cities. :lol:

BACK ON:

I would have died to be able to get the record the day it came out, stuff like that is so special. :)

vivfox 10-19-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrislit18 (Post 727180)
OFF TOPIC:

You're from MA?
thats so cool!!!
I live there too lol!

I would have hated to live in Springfield though

I enjoy living in Springfield.

Betsy 10-25-2007 05:52 PM

Thanks Vivfox for the awesome photos. I remember that CAH (Storms book) said that Frederick's of Hollywood was nearby or something.

Got any photos of CAH? I have never seen what she looks like, except for the B/W ones in her book, which ain't so good.

chiliD 10-25-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy (Post 728440)
Thanks Vivfox for the awesome photos. I remember that CAH (Storms book) said that Frederick's of Hollywood was nearby or something..

Their star is right out in front of Frederick's...as in, when you walk in or out of the door, you walk right over their star.

Chrislit18 10-25-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 727229)
How many minutes drive to you live from Spfld.?

Like 45 mins to an hour maybe.
depends on traffic really.

I LOVE those photos you put up vivfox! AMAZING<3

vivfox 10-26-2007 12:21 AM

First night of The TUSK TOUR:
October 26,1979
Pocatello, Idaho
Venue: Mini Dome

Anyone of you know someone who was there? Tell us their memories.

vivfox 10-26-2007 11:06 PM

2nd night of the TUSK TOUR
October 27,1979
Ogden, Utah
Venue: Dee Events Center

kathy1 10-27-2007 08:56 AM

that's good vivfox because i have never seen the tour i was way too little and i haven't heard of fleetwood mac then until the mirage album came out.

vivfox 10-27-2007 11:25 PM

3rd night of the TUSK TOUR
October 28, 1979
Salt Lake City, Utah
Venue: The Salt Palace

kathy1 10-28-2007 09:45 AM

vivfox how long have you been a fan of fleewood mac? i have been since the 80's.

vivfox 10-28-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathy1 (Post 728958)
vivfox how long have you been a fan of fleewood mac? i have been since the 80's.

Since 1975's the White Album I was listening to them on the radio but in the summer of 1978 I announced "officially" to my friends and family that Fleetwood Mac was my favorite group and Stevie Nicks my favorite singer.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...on/48zpehc.gif

Mywyldhrt 10-29-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 728800)
2nd night of the TUSK TOUR
October 27,1979
Ogden, Utah
Venue: Dee Events Center
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/thuZoo10.jpg

Hey Mark!!! This is great-i knew it would be-We never discussed this, But I skipped school that day as well-this is gettin' scarey!!!

Mywyldhrt 10-29-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 729000)
Since 1975's the White Album I was listening to them on the radio but in the summer of 1978 I announced "officially" to my friends and family that Fleetwood Mac was my favorite group and Stevie Nicks my favorite singer.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...on/48zpehc.gif

Need I say more???????????:shrug:

vivfox 10-30-2007 11:47 PM

4th night of The TUSK TOUR
Roctober 31, 1979
Denver, Colorado
Venue: McNichol's Sports Arena

I wonder if they dressed up in costumes for this show?

Betsy 10-31-2007 02:47 PM

Woo Hoo! No way! Denver was the 31st of October 1979?

Thanks for telling me...I'm gonna find some way to celebrate. How does powdered sugar in a Heinken (sp) bottle cap sound?? (heh, heh, heh)

Did they play Omaha?

vivfox 10-31-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy (Post 729385)
Woo Hoo! No way! Denver was the 31st of October 1979?

Thanks for telling me...I'm gonna find some way to celebrate. How does powdered sugar in a Heinken (sp) bottle cap sound?? (heh, heh, heh)
Did they play Omaha?

Great idea with the Heineken and they played in Omaha on August 21,1980.

vivfox 10-31-2007 11:15 PM

5th night of The Tusk Tour
November 1,1979
2nd night in Denver, Colorado--You lucky Denverites!!!
Venue: McNichol's Sports Arena

vivfox 11-02-2007 01:09 AM

6th night of The TUSK TOUR
November 2,1979
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Venue: Tingley Coliseum

THIS WAS TONIGHT'S CONCERT

Say You Love Me

The Chain

Dreams

Stevie goes into the tent to change clothes and sit out the next song.

Not That Funny

Stevie returns to the stage in her fairytale ware

Rhiannon

Stevie goes into the tent to remove her Rhiannon Scarves and casually returns to the stage during the middle of the next song.

Over & Over

Stevie goes into the tent to change clothes and sit out the next song. Lindsey says something like,"to the guy in the front row with the yellow shirt on-you wanted to hear something old? Well we got it for you."

Oh Well

Stevie returns to the stage all decked out in red.

Sara

Stevie goes into the tent to change clothes and sit out the next two songs.

What Makes You Think You're The One

Oh Daddy

Another microphone stand is set up onstage to the left of Stevie's Mic and Christine stands in front of it to sing and play acoustic guitar on the next track. Stevie returns to the stage.

Save Me A Place

Christine returns to her keyboards. Lindsey pulls out his acoustic guitar.

Landslide

Stevie goes into the tent to change clothes. Christine returns to her stand up mic area with an accordian in her hands and the tape with the Tusky background music is played. Mick starts pounding on his drums, marching band style.Stevie returns to the stage with a cowbell and drumstick in her hands.

Tusk

Angel

You Make Loving Fun

Stevie goes into the tent to change clothes and sit out the next song. It feels like an eternity till she returns 'cause she's offstage for approx. 10 minutes

I'm So Afraid

Christine returns to her standup mic with maraca's in her hands.

World Turning

Go Your Own Way

Unfortunately, like a lot of bootlegs, someone forgot to record the encores. So no Sister's Of The Moon or Songbird tonight kitties. Unless one of YOU can add it from your collection 'cause I don't have it and I want to hear SOTM!!!!

njova 11-02-2007 09:15 AM

For some reason every link I click on it keeps saying requested file not found, link outdated.

vivfox 11-02-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njova (Post 729580)
For some reason every link I click on it keeps saying requested file not found, link outdated.

To download from speedyshare:

Left click on any link
Once inside then
Right click your mouse on the song link and a box opens up
Left click on SAVE TARGET AS
Then left click SAVE to whatever music folder you download music into

Please let us know if this works for you.

Betsy 11-02-2007 10:55 AM

This is fun, re-living the Tusk Tour...in 1979 I was ...

"Twenty-six, single and a school teacher. And that's just about the bottom of the barrell."

Etta Place in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Sarah 11-02-2007 11:12 AM

So uh, did Lindsey do anything during this show or... was it one of those Stevie Nicks with special guests Fleetwood Mac situations?

njova 11-02-2007 11:51 AM

Thanks for the tip it works now.

Chrislit18 11-03-2007 09:17 PM

Oh I LOVE Stevies shoes, and her dress.
I want the dress, so bad.

Too cute for summer!

njova 11-03-2007 09:35 PM

I've always liked that picture of lindsey pretending to shoot stevie with an arrow.

vivfox 11-03-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njova (Post 729812)
I've always liked that picture of lindsey pretending to shoot stevie with an arrow.

What picture? What are you talking about?

Angel69 11-04-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 729553)
6th night of The TUSK TOUR
November 2,1979
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Venue: Tingley Coliseum

Thanks for that. Great Show! They were so tight on the Tusk Tour.

njova 11-04-2007 10:36 AM

I'm talking about the picture on the second page the one where they were making the tusk video I think you posted it, I think mick is in front and christine is in the back.

vivfox 11-05-2007 01:52 AM

7th Night of The Tusk Tour
November 5,1979
St. Louis, Missouri
Venue: Checker Dome

Betsy 11-05-2007 11:42 AM

^^^
Nice photo...I have never seen Stevie in red. Thnx!

(My younger brother was the FM fan back in the high school days and he owned all their records.)

vivfox 11-06-2007 12:56 AM

8th Night of The Tusk Tour
November 6,1979
St. Louis, Missouri
Venue: Checker Dome
2nd of two nights

Landslide(At the end of this Stevie Says,"Alright. If I had a candle I would light it!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From BILLBOARD MAGAZINE
TOP BOXOFFICE
Headliners: Fleetwood Mac
Opening Act: Danny Douma
Produced by: Contemporary Productions
Produced by: Family Dog Productions
Checker Dome-St. Louis-Nov.5&6,1979
Two Shows-Two Sellouts
Total Ticket Sales: 25,200 (12,600 per show)
Ticket Price Scale: $10.50-$12.50
Gross Receipts: $303,353.00

Tee Dee 11-06-2007 02:38 PM

^^^
Thanks for the music and the interesting facts.

Those gross receipt numbers boggle my mind....with a ticket price of $10 even.

vivfox 11-07-2007 01:07 AM

November 7,1979
Cincinnati, Ohio
Venue: Riverfront Coliseum

stevierocks87 11-07-2007 03:29 AM

Can I just say that the tusk tour setlist TOTALLY kicks ass.

vivfox 11-10-2007 12:10 PM

10th night of The Tusk Tour
November 10,1979
New Haven, Connecticut
Venue: Veterans Memorial Coliseum

I was at this show. This was my first time seeing Fleetwood Mac and Stevie live. I was 17 years old, almost 18. There is an audio bootleg of this show available, but I don't have it. My memories of this show: Buying the ticket for this concert I had to skip a few classes in high school. Then I went to school with my ticket. I showed off the ticket to some of the "cool" kids and one of em asked if he could hold it. Then he didn't want to give it back, but obviously, he did.
I attended the show with two good friends and we had ****ty floor seats almost near the back. We had to stand on our seats most of the show to see anything at all. In those days there were no giant screens to watch in case you couldn't see the performers. My biggest memory of this night was straining to see, standing on my tippy toes. I sat down during most of Lindsey's songs cause that was the only time I could rest. During Rhiannon Stevie tried to hit the high notes but couldn't. Even then I was comparing her live vocals to those on the two bootlegs I had at the time which were 8-25-77 Live in Las Vegas and 1975's Albatross, But Not Around My Neck Please albums.
During Sara someone threw a giant red balloon up towards the stage and Stevie caught it. She held onto it for a while and then tossed it back into the crowd. Angel was a highlite for me and so was Sister's Of The Moon but honestly I can't remember anything about her performance of Sister's.
After the show we hoped we could meet the band and so we hung out for about an hour and then when we realized that wasn't going to happen we went to look for the car. In our excitement upon arrival none of us thought to look to see what section we were parked in in the parking garage so it took us another hour of walking around just to find the car. It was also a little drizzly that night so we were a bit wet also.

From Billboard Magazine
November 10,1979
Venue: Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Headliners: Fleetwood Mac
Opening Act: Danny Douma
Produced by: Cross Country Concerts
Ticket price scale: $10.00-$14.50
Total ticket sales: 9,635
Sellout
Gross Receipts: $135,647.00

David 11-10-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 730741)
During Sara someone threw a giant red balloon up towards the stage and Stevie caught it. She held onto it for a while and then tossed it back into the crowd.

Are those photos of Stevie with the big balloon from this show, then?

vivfox 11-10-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 730745)
Are those photos of Stevie with the big balloon from this show, then?

They could be but you never know for sure, She could have caught balloons at other shows too.

vivfox 11-11-2007 12:11 AM

The 11th show of The Tusk Tour
November 11,1979
Uniondale, New York
Venue: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum

This photo was taken somewhere on the Tusk Tour.

joe 11-11-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 730805)
They could be but you never know for sure, She could have caught balloons at other shows too. Here's a picture of Stevie holding a balloon and singing Sara, somewhere on the Tusk Tour.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...an10083wo5.jpg

i remember seeing the whole set of photos from this particular show online several years ago. there's a bunch of the balloon pics. weren't these on neal's site? i just checked but didn't see them.