The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bekka & Billy OR Buckingham/Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=29470)

PsychCat 10-24-2006 09:41 PM

Bekka & Billy OR Buckingham/Nicks

In regards to the two albums.... FLEETWOOD MAC work aside!!

Do you prefer Bekka & Billy's album they released after the "Time" phase
OR
do you prefer Buckingham/Nicks' album they released before the white album?

I would also love to hear considerations to the songwriting and overall talents.
Granted... they are about 25 yrs apart.... but work with me. :wavey:

BlackWidow 10-24-2006 09:44 PM

Oh Come ON!!!!!!!!
BUCKINGHAM/NICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irishgrl 10-24-2006 09:59 PM

talk about a no-brainer....:shrug:

oh yeah, I voted BN.

BlackWidow 10-24-2006 10:00 PM

oh hell YES!!!!

CelticGypsy 10-24-2006 10:26 PM

BuckinghamNicks

Love several of those songs:xoxo:

DrummerDeanna 10-24-2006 11:34 PM

Well by default I voted for BN...the default being I've never even heard (nor did I even know they had) a Bekka/Billy album :o

SteveMacD 10-25-2006 08:56 AM

I'll say "Buckingham Nicks," though, to be fair, I'd take "Bekka & Billy" over "Say You Will."

chiliD 10-25-2006 10:06 AM

I'm SO sick of Buckingham Nicks...individually & collectively...gimme Bekka & Billy.

JazmenFlowers 10-26-2006 10:21 AM

is this a serious question? :shrug:

:laugh:

in all seriousness, I like Billy and Bekka...ehhh, sometimes. Billy is too bland for me and a little boring. Bekka screeches and acts like she has terrets (um, hello. Bekka? yeah, hon. you're a backup singer for Faith Hill, not a resort entertainer). so, I guess I'm forced to go with good ole B/N.

ok, before anyone goes ape****, I do think Bekka's a talented singer and songwriter. she just annoys, that's all.

Miss Vicky 10-26-2006 09:22 PM

I love both albums, but I have to give my vote to Bekka and Billy if for no other reason than the fact that I listen to it far more frequently than Buckingham Nicks.

There's a lot to be said for both records, especially in regards to songwriting as they include some of the best lyrics any of them has written. In that respect, Bekka shines on "Through the Walls" and "Better Days," Billy shines on "Heart to Call Home," Lindsey shines on "Without A Leg to Stand On" and Stevie shines on "Frozen Love."

BlackWidow 10-26-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers (Post 589223)
is this a serious question? :shrug:

:laugh:

in all seriousness, I like Billy and Bekka...ehhh, sometimes. Billy is too bland for me and a little boring. Bekka screeches and acts like she has terrets (um, hello. Bekka? yeah, hon. you're a backup singer for Faith Hill, not a resort entertainer). so, I guess I'm forced to go with good ole B/N.

ok, before anyone goes ape****, I do think Bekka's a talented singer and songwriter. she just annoys, that's all.

Billy Burnette...ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Bekka is a cocktail waitress off Route 66 in Conshohocken...:D

HomerMcvie 10-27-2006 02:04 AM

^^^You, are completely rude.

PsychCat 10-27-2006 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWidow (Post 589716)
Billy Burnette...ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Bekka is a cocktail waitress off Route 66 in Conshohocken...:D

What? I don't believe we needed to get into attacking their character.
That's WHY I asked to reply to this from a constructive, artistic point of view.... ie, the actual albums.... NOT the artists themselves.

I have been a long time fan of both Lindsey's and Stevie's. I love alot of their stuff and alot of it not so much. I've met both of them various times and Lindsey has always been very cordial and very cool while Stevie can be really nice or in "her highness" mode.
With that, I'm also a big fan of Bekka's and Billy's. Granted, Stevie and Lindsey have about a 20 yr jump on the other two. I've also met Billy and he is a really nice guy, very unassuming. I have also gotten to know Bekka and she is an amazing lady. I personally could not ask for a better friend and am blessed.

So with all that, this question wasn't about the artist's personally.... it was about the two albums and what they contain.
I appreciate those of you that did answer that way... .that's what I was curious about as a fellow FLEETWOOD MAC fan. Thanks!! :wavey:

SteveMacD 10-27-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychCat (Post 589761)
What? I don't believe we needed to get into attacking their character.
That's WHY I asked to reply to this from a constructive, artistic point of view.... ie, the actual albums.... NOT the artists themselves.

That particular poster is not capable of participating in a constructive discussion, which is why he's on several people's "ignore" list. Anything that remotely suggests there's more to Fleetwood Mac than either Buckingham or Nicks somehow makes him feel insecure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychCat (Post 589761)
With that, I'm also a big fan of Bekka's and Billy's. Granted, Stevie and Lindsey have about a 20 yr jump on the other two.

Actually, Billy's first album came out a year BEFORE Buckingham Nicks, and Billy had recorded a few singles as a kid back in the late '50s/early '60s.

Musicman408 10-28-2006 11:05 PM

Absolutely without a doubt, Buckingham Nicks....

Much Love,
Ethan

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman408 (Post 591040)
Absolutely without a doubt, Buckingham Nicks....

Much Love,
Ethan

Have you even heard "Bekka and Billy"?

foxyluva 10-29-2006 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591053)
Have you even heard "Bekka and Billy"?

I don't think most people who have voted have, but now I have atleast heard two tracks, I can safely say Im sure I prefer BuckinghamNicks.

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxyluva (Post 591099)
I don't think most people who have voted have...

That's what I'm thinking, too.

Especially since it's been out of print for a few years now.

Dreamz19 10-29-2006 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychCat (Post 588146)
In regards to the two albums.... FLEETWOOD MAC work aside!!

Do you prefer Bekka & Billy's album they released after the "Time" phase
OR
do you prefer Buckingham/Nicks' album they released before the white album?

I would also love to hear considerations to the songwriting and overall talents.
Granted... they are about 25 yrs apart.... but work with me. :wavey:

Buckingham/Nicks. In all honestly I haven't heard Bekka and Billy's CD. But I thought they were good on Time.

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591117)
Buckingham/Nicks. In all honestly I haven't heard Bekka and Billy's CD. But I thought they were good on Time.

Grrr. How can you vote between two albums if you've only heard one of them?????????????????????

Dreamz19 10-29-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591179)
Grrr. How can you vote between two albums if you've only heard one of them?????????????????????

DrummerDeanna did the same...why not ask her as well?

But if you have to know what I think I was going by what I heard on Time. They weren't bad at all and I feel they're talented but I still perfer Lindsey and Stevie. Buckingham/Nicks was great and one of my favorite albums. I highly doubt I would have changed my mind if I heard Bekka and Billy. But I will go check out their CD so I can give a VALID vote ;)

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591207)
DrummerDeanna did the same...why not ask her as well?

Actually, the question wasn't directed at you specifically, but to anybody who has voted without having heard both albums. So don't take it personally. It just seems incredibly unfair to judge it without ever even hearing it.

Dreamz19 10-29-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591210)
Actually, the question wasn't directed at you specifically, but to anybody who has voted without having heard both albums. So don't take it personally. It just seems incredibly unfair to judge it without ever even hearing it.

Well I am glad you were more specific. Because I honestly thought you were singling me out. Considering how newbies are treated on this board at times I assumed that was the reason why you did not respond to anyone else. So my apologies for that. Anyway, you are right I probably shouldn't have voted since I did not hear their album. However, I did just listen to two tracks "Patient Heart" and "Soul Searching" and I thought they were good. I do like Country but I am not a huge fan of it. So far it sounds good for its genre.

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591215)
Considering how newbies are treated on this board at times I assumed that was the reason why you did not respond to anyone else. So my apologies for that.

Well, despite any impressions to the contrary, I try to judge people based on their actions rather than by their status or post counts.

Quote:

Anyway, you are right I probably shouldn't have voted since I did not hear their album. However, I did just listen to two tracks "Patient Heart" and "Soul Searching" and I thought they were good. I do like Country but I am not a huge fan of it. So far it sounds good for its genre.
Those songs are pretty good but they're definitely not the best. I just uploaded some full length Bekka and Billy MP3s for someone else if you'd like the link. The songs are "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" and they're my favorites from the album.

Incidentally, I'm not a country fan at all. I generally can't stand the genre, but I LOVE this album.

Dreamz19 10-29-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591217)
Well, despite any impressions to the contrary, I try to judge people based on their actions rather than by their status or post counts.

Those songs are pretty good but they're definitely not the best. I just uploaded some full length Bekka and Billy MP3s for someone else if you'd like the link. The songs are "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" and they're my favorites from the album.

Incidentally, I'm not a country fan at all. I generally can't stand the genre, but I LOVE this album.

Well I am glad you are that way, it should always be like that.

It is funny that you just said "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" are your favorites because I just listened to those and liked them alot. I liked them more than the first two I listened to.

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591220)
It is funny that you just said "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" are your favorites because I just listened to those and liked them alot. I liked them more than the first two I listened to.

Have you listened to "Better Days" yet? That's another great one.

Dreamz19 10-29-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591221)
Have you listened to "Better Days" yet? That's another great one.

I had to stop since I had to go to work. I will continue listening to it though.

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591352)
I had to stop since I had to go to work. I will continue listening to it though.

Please do, and I hope you like what you hear.

With any luck, maybe a pic of Billy and Bekka will make its way into your siggy. They were a couple once, too, you know.

PsychCat 10-29-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591179)

I agree, Miss V... perhaps I was taking it for granted that anyone who offered up a comment would have heard both. Again, that's why I asked for opinions on the actual albums as opposed to the people themselves.
I suppose I should have put a 3rd choice for those that had not heard both!

Personally.... I'm not sure I could decide, being that they are from such different eras. Love them both for what they are and what they represent as far as their timing.
I would love to have heard B&B produced by someone who wasn't so recognizable (Garth Fundis, ie. Trisha Yearwood) and allowed to give more of the soulful sound they are capable of. "B&B" was perhaps molded more towards a distinct target market as opposed to B/N.
No doubt (IMHO) a TRUE Bekka & Billy cd would be amazing.... something that captured their true gifts and chemistry. :wavey:

Miss Vicky 10-29-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychCat (Post 591394)
No doubt (IMHO) a TRUE Bekka & Billy cd would be amazing.... something that captured their true gifts and chemistry. :wavey:

I wasn't aware that Billy and Bekka were capable of anything less than amazing. :shrug:

;)

Actually.. nix that. The stuff with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo is less than stellar. I finally got my copy of "I'm Not Me" and Billy's tunes are much better in their solo form than on that record. "Shakin' the Cage" is almost unlistenable.

JazmenFlowers 10-29-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591352)

you should really listen to "Better Days" when you can. it's a GREAT song.

PsychCat 10-30-2006 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591396)
Shakin' the Cage" is almost unlistenable.

No kidding.... LOVE Bekka's work but the rest of it is just not my style.
If they wanted to make a Billy Thorpe album, then why drag Bekka and Mick thru it? ;)
You would think after all these years that Mick would know what it takes to make a listenable album... or at least what one sounds like. :shrug:

And as far as "Better Days".... EXCELLENT SONG with amazing testimonies behind it. :wavey:

Dreamz19 10-30-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591358)
Please do, and I hope you like what you hear.

With any luck, maybe a pic of Billy and Bekka will make its way into your siggy. They were a couple once, too, you know.

Oh really? That is pretty interesting. I never knew this. I have been ignorant in thinking Chris/John and Stevie/Lindsey were the only couples of FM. Well, I was planning on getting rid of the couples pics soon but I wouldn't mind putting Bekka and Billy up for now. They deserve respect too as being a FM couple. I started reading their bios on fmlegacy and it said they once met as children back in the 70's just to end up being in a band years later.

Dreamz19 10-30-2006 11:57 AM

Vicky, I want to take you up on that offer for the link of Bekka and Billy. I was able to find some of their songs full length but the rest of them are 30 second clips.

Miss Vicky 10-31-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 591531)
Vicky, I want to take you up on that offer for the link of Bekka and Billy. I was able to find some of their songs full length but the rest of them are 30 second clips.

No prob. Right now I've only got "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" posted, but I'm probably going to add "Better Days" as well. I also need to redo a couple of files for Bekka's solo album, so I'll try to get those made and posted in a day or so. For now, check your PMs.

Dreamz19 10-31-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 591827)
No prob. Right now I've only got "Through the Walls" and "Heart to Call Home" posted, but I'm probably going to add "Better Days" as well. I also need to redo a couple of files for Bekka's solo album, so I'll try to get those made and posted in a day or so. For now, check your PMs.

Thank you for the link. I will check it out when I get home. :)

Dreamz19 10-31-2006 11:36 AM

It really isn't easy finding a decent pic of Bekka and Billy together. They're either really tiny or not clear enough.

Dreamz19 11-01-2006 05:35 AM

Vicky,

After this I'll stop bugging you :o but thank you for sending me the MP3's and the info on Bekka and Billy. I have a newfound respect for them, esp Bekka. Not to slam Billy, but Bekka stands out more to me. Wow that woman can sing. I love Stevie and Chris, but Bekka sings just as good as they do IMO. Her voice is so rich and soulful. Yet she doesn't get a lot of respect for being a female vocalist in FM. On one hand I can understand the casual listeners that mostly know the Rumours line-up and not much else, but some people just hear the "Time" line-up and dog the CD (without listening) because Lindsey and Stevie weren't in the group. In the end, I do think it was best they left the band. I personally think they were better on their own. I am glad they eventually realized that.

I listened to the songs and I really enjoyed them. I have always liked Faith Hill (and still do) but Bekka vocals blew her out of the water on "One" and "What's In It For Me." I just prefer the production on Faith versions a little more but overall her vocals fit the songs better than Faith's. On "Bekka and Billy" I liked "Better Days," "Heart to Call Home," and "Patient Heart." I am not a huge country fan, but they sing the type of country I normally would listen to.

Even after listening to B&B tracks I am still not sure my vote is valid. I have had an entire year to develop my admiration for "Buckingham Nicks." I didn't start off loving every single song like I do now. So it would be easy for me to still vote for them even though I also like B&B. Alrighty, I am done my ranting. Anyway, whenever you get the chance send some more MP3's my way.

Miss Vicky 11-01-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamz19 (Post 592304)
After this I'll stop bugging you :o but thank you for sending me the MP3's and the info on Bekka and Billy. I have a newfound respect for them, esp Bekka.

Don't worry, you're not bugging me. I LOVE talking about my favorite artists and Billy and Bekka and pretty high on my list. I'm also thrilled whenever I can turn someone on to their music.

Quote:

Not to slam Billy, but Bekka stands out more to me. Wow that woman can sing. I love Stevie and Chris, but Bekka sings just as good as they do IMO. Her voice is so rich and soulful. Yet she doesn't get a lot of respect for being a female vocalist in FM.
I've always preferred male singing voices, so that's part of the reason why I like Billy more than Bekka. He's also a very gifted songwriter which is a big plus in my book. But Bekka is incredible. Another album I suggest looking into - if you like the blues at all - is Jonny Lang's Wander This World. Bekka did backing vocals on several tracks (she also did them for the title track of Lang's debut album Lie to Me) and she sounds amazing.

HomerMcvie 11-01-2006 01:15 PM

I've always thought it was a CRIME that the Time band didn't get more of a chance, as Bekka, IMO, is an extremely talented singer(blows you know who, outta the water!).
Vicky- are these mp3s from the Bekka and Billy album? If so, could I BEG you for them?