The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone here who still really likes Stevie Nicks? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58393)

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 01:02 PM

Anyone here who still really likes Stevie Nicks?

I was shocked and angry when FM threw out Lindsey Buckingham. I'm not on board with the 2 new guys. I also think that the live shows kinda suck, some of the songs miss energy and spirit. But still - when I see photos or fanvids, she is still the Stevie Nicks I followed since 1979, and I still love her, it is like it is.

I also have the following points to make:

- Stevie has not made her dislike of Lindsey a secret in the last years, it was clear that she wouldn't want to work with him, plus - she has always been the one who had to deal with the most aggression from Lindsey. I'm actually more angry with every other member of the band what happened. Stevie was at least kinda honest about the band-problems.

- She is a great entertainer, her voice may be toast, but her ability to shine on-stage is still there.

- We don't know what happened, it'S possible that stevie has lost all contact to reality, but it is also quite possible, that Lindsey did something noone wants to talk about and that it was a whole-band-decision after all. I can't see why the benefit of the doubt works in Lindseys favour only.

- IF Stevie flexed her muscle, set an ultimatum and got what she wanted, she now DEALS WITH IT. She IS center of attention and carries the show, carries FM now and she does it well, much better than I anticipated. She works hard for her band now, I missed that during OWTS. For me, it is much more fun to see a happy Stevie who actually cares about being onstage with FM for a change.

- FM is a band fronted by two women and that is only fair, given the success of Christines and Stevies contributions.

- The raging misogyny here and elsewhere makes me really root for Stevie. The whole "How dare she, she is just a woman", "goat" and far worse, things people should really be ashamed of is so telling and says much more about the contributing "fans" than about Stevies abilites.

So, since the "who dislikes Stevie" thread is such a success, maybe some people would like to contribute here, creating a positive place for a change.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 01:06 PM

Why didn't you just post this in the other thread?

The thread intended for this topic.:shrug:

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 01:12 PM

Nope. The other thread is for the opposite topic.
Are you a moderator now? Just asking...

aleuzzi 12-06-2018 01:23 PM

Her celebrity is a hard pill to swallow these days. I am impressed by her drive to keep alive in the public eye. And she still belts and she still tells funny stories. She is, in a word, entertaining.

But her refusal to record new music with the band, her flimsy reasons for not recording new music with the band, her use of her celebrity as a weapon, and her inability to forgive and forget past traumas (whatever they might be) are both disappointing and sad. I feel more pity for her than anger. If she does get the RRHOF induction, it still won't be enough for her. Something is broken inside. Or, in her own words, "something in [her] heart died last night..."

jbrownsjr 12-06-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1245106)
Her celebrity is a hard pill to swallow these days. I am impressed by her drive to keep alive in the public eye. And she still belts and she still tells funny stories. She is, in a word, entertaining.

But her refusal to record new music with the band, her flimsy reasons for not recording new music with the band, her use of her celebrity as a weapon, and her inability to forgive and forget past traumas (whatever they might be) are both disappointing and sad. I feel more pity for her than anger. If she does get the RRHOF induction, it still won't be enough for her. Something is broken inside. Or, in her own words, "something in [her] heart died last night..."

Just more conceit from an already broken heart.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245105)
Nope. The other thread is for the opposite topic.
Are you a moderator now? Just asking...

I'm usually on a computer, but on my phone right now. Saw it as the same. Sorry.

Are you a moderator now?

jbrownsjr 12-06-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1245109)
I'm usually on a computer, but on my phone right now. Saw it as the same. Sorry.

Are you a moderator now?

You rang???????

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1245110)
You rang???????

It's the new hip question to ask.

cbBen 12-06-2018 02:48 PM

I still like her music.

As for personally, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and presume the best. As I said elsewhere, my main issue is with the band for carrying on without Lindsey.

sodascouts 12-06-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245100)
The raging misogyny here and elsewhere makes me really root for Stevie. The whole "How dare she, she is just a woman"

Where was this said?!

You present it as a common theme, repeated often by those who criticize her; I can't remember it being said - in any form - even once. I haven't even seen it "elsewhere" (assuming you mean fan groups on social media) and while I'm sure there are some who say this because misogynists exist, it is hardly "raging" whenever this is discussed.

Believe me, I wouldn't have stood for such talk.

All your other points are fair, but this one is a misrepresentation.

Buster 12-06-2018 03:29 PM

I really like Stevie Nicks.

Her music has been an integral part of my life from childhood to well over middle age.

Her songs pierce my heart more than anyone.

She has been generous charities (could be more though) and supports the troops.

She’s timeless and one of the greatest living singer-songwriters.

I respect her decisions, including not to record with FM.

I don’t like how she and the band handled Lindsey’s firing.

I would never see FM but I would see her solo again in a heartbeat.

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1245115)

Where have you been since February? Not here for sure.

sodascouts 12-06-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245119)
Where have you been since February? Not here for sure.

Link me to one post that says "how dare she, she's just a woman", or something akin to that.

Since it apparently happens so often, it shouldn't take you to long to find it.

jmn3 12-06-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1245120)
Link me to one post that says "how dare she, she's just a woman", or something akin to that.

Since it apparently happens so often, it shouldn't take you to long to find it.

Seriously I’ve not seen this either. I dislike Stevie and her recent actions for a variety of reasons. Not one of them has to do with her gender. Quite honestly, if Lindsey had done the same exact thing to her, I would be just as appalled at him.

aleuzzi 12-06-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1245108)
Just more conceit from an already broken heart.

"There is my fame--and it can be guarded..."

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 05:06 PM

I really don't know where you were in the last 10 months, Sodascouts. I had 10minutes for this search and the server is reeeaaaalllllyyyy slow.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/search...earchid=702334

In particular this one, but this is just the first that I found. No offence button-lip:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...7&postcount=48

and LOL! This one is from jmn3, sure that has nothing to do with her being a woman.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...9&postcount=27
Quote:

The Destiny Rules documentary did the woman no favors in my view - but once the Say You Will tour was long over and she went on to bash Lindsey for the album and tour, I really lost any respect I had for her. As she keeps getting older, she honestly just comes across to me as a bigger and bigger narciscistic jerk.
She has become a bitter old woman who like most narcissists, finds a way to make every single event in some way about them.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...0&postcount=12
Quote:

DISGUSTING that Tambourine B/witch is now running the show. WTF
The list goes on and on. You can use the search function yourself for further proof. I tried "b!tch", "Goat", "disgusting Stevie", you can search "misogynist" or "sexism" to see when people got called out for their behavior earlier.

David 12-06-2018 05:08 PM

I've always liked Madame Nicks. She's a clumsy wordsmith but a superb rock singer whose style is all hers. I always loved the effect she created on the stage, but middle age (hers, not mine) compromised that effect for me. I think Steve Real absolutely ruined her singing voice. He ought to be caned. The damage he did to her voice is irreparable.

Firing LB was an act of cowardice and stupidity—he was the last hope they had of ever again creating something enduring. But even he has deteriorated from the glories of his youth. But everyone in the band, not just Stevie, is responsible for that move.

It's amazing how much good will as a singer-songwriter-performer Stevie has built up in me—so much so that even though she can't sing anymore, can't perform dazzlingly anymore, and apparently can't write a decent tune anymore, I still "frame" her in my mind as The Great Stevie. That'll never wane, even if it means that she forces me to live in the past.

Buster 12-06-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245129)
I really don't know where you were in the last 10 months, Sodascouts. I had 10minutes for this search and the server is reeeaaaalllllyyyy slow.

In particular this one, but this is just the first that I found. No offence button-lip:

and LOL! This one is from jmn3, sure that has nothing to do with her being a woman.

The list goes on and on. You can use the search function yourself for further proof. I tried "b!tch", "Goat", "disgusting Stevie", you can search "misogynist" or "sexism" to see when people got called out for their behavior earlier.

You didn’t need to do this research but kind of shocking what a quick search reveals. Misogyny is all over this discussion board - anyone with a brain knows it. A shame that a positive thread like this is already headed down a nasty road but people like Homer can’t help themselves. For some reason they have made this all their life. It’s an obsession that makes it impossible for others to have an enjoyable conversation.

cbBen 12-06-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1245130)
I think Steve Real absolutely ruined her singing voice.

I had to look up who this is, and found the following interview with this quote: "‘Cheaper Than Free’ may be the best song [Dave Stewart or I] ever writes."
https://americansongwriter.com/2011/...tevie-nicks/4/

I appreciate the desire to promote one's recent work, but holy smokes what a lack of perspective.

For what it's worth, I think she sings brilliantly on The Dance. That may be the end of the road for her as a truly great vocalist. Her singing on the 1998 tour is also pretty strong. By 2003, she's demonstrated a considerable decline that has only continued.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 1245132)
You didn’t need to do this research but kind of shocking what a quick search reveals. Misogyny is all over this discussion board - anyone with a brain knows it. A shame that a positive thread like this is already headed down a nasty road but people like Homer can’t help themselves. For some reason they have made this all their life. It’s an obsession that makes it impossible for others to have an enjoyable conversation.

I am NOT A MISOGYNIST, and this falls under personal attack.

Moderators?????

mitzo 12-06-2018 05:54 PM

I basically just come here to see what might be new with FM and Stevie, and try to stay out of the "discussions." Things are continually hijacked and the shocking barrage of insults and innuendo directed at Stevie and Mick and other posters coming from many here should have been stopped at some point. Continually calling people whores, goats, hags, and even twats is basically wrong, in my book but not the moderators.

As for "liking" Stevie I don't know what that means, really. As a person? As a singer? As a performer? I don't know. I love a lot of her music, I am continually frustrated by her lack of recording and her penchant for faux "rock".

Feather Blade 12-06-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1245115)
Where was this said?!

You present it as a common theme, repeated often by those who criticize her; I can't remember it being said - in any form - even once. I haven't even seen it "elsewhere" (assuming you mean fan groups on social media) and while I'm sure there are some who say this because misogynists exist, it is hardly "raging" whenever this is discussed.

I believe the "If she had just had children she probably wouldn't be such a bitter hag" comments a couple of people made fall into this bucket. As if anyone would have made this statement about any of the men in the band if they had chosen to forgo parenthood.

cbBen 12-06-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1245138)
Things are continually hijacked and the shocking barrage of insults and innuendo directed at Stevie and Mick and other posters coming from many here should have been stopped at some point.

With all due respect to this perfectly understandable point of view, I strongly disagree, and urge moderators not to intervene.

I always try to put across my point of view respectfully but disagreement, combativeness, and–short of cursing–even crass language from others are just fine with me.

I generally don't like to see conversation stopped or censored, and certainly not because people are trashing rock stars who will never even read the comment at issue.

secondhandchain 12-06-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1245136)
I am NOT A MISOGYNIST, and this falls under personal attack.

Moderators?????

Buster is OBSESSED with accusing people of misogyny. Buster, just because we don't like Goat Breath as she let the last chance for a final FM album go, and then fired Lindsey Buckingham, doesn't mean we don't respect women. We don't respect goat breath or Mick money grubbing Fleetwood.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1245143)
Buster is OBSESSED with accusing people of misogyny. Buster, just because we don't like Goat Breath as she let the last chance for a final FM album go, and then fired Lindsey Buckingham, doesn't mean we don't respect women. We don't respect goat breath or Mick money grubbing Fleetwood.

Yet he's? continually allowed to keep calling us that, over and over.

DownOnRodeo 12-06-2018 08:48 PM

Since we're discussing it---

I for one would like to see the end of all this goat bashing.

What have goats and their breath ever done to you, secondhandchain and David "Homer" McVie?

Call her by the name she deserves--"Stevie." (shudders)

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1245146)
I for one would like to see the end of all this goat bashing.

What have goats and their breath ever done to you, secondhandchain and David "Homer" McVie?

Call her by the name she deserves--"Stevie." (shudders)

Exactly. Old Goat Breath.

You do understand that we're allowed to talk about the band, even make fun of them if we like? But name calling Ledge members is forbidden. You understand the difference, right? RULES ARE RULES.

If you don't like $tevie being called Old Goat Breath... well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to apologize to you or Old Goat Breath, because I'm within the rules of this board. Have a good evening, Joe.

DownOnRodeo 12-06-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1245147)
Exactly. Old Goat Breath.

You do understand that we're allowed to talk about the band, even make fun of them if we like? But name calling Ledge members is forbidden. You understand the difference, right? RULES ARE RULES.

If you don't like $tevie being called Old Goat Breath... well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to apologize to you or Old Goat Breath, because I'm within the rules of this board. Have a good evening, Joe.

You've missed my point. Re-read my post.

#goats_are_innocent

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1245148)
You've missed my point. Re-read my post.

#goats_are_innocent

But that's the farm animal $he most resembles. Sorry.

#factsisfacts

On Ice 12-06-2018 09:43 PM

I answered in the other thread about my excitement for her as an artist had left the building. I do still really love the Stevie of yesteryear from joining the band through to about the Wild Heart and then (mostly in hindsight) high points such as the early 90's killer vocals, late 90's Dance and Enchanted and parts of In Your Dreams and 24 K. Since then though- total meh. Her recent vocals and refusal to record have taken her off the pedestal I so proudly kept her on all these years. I agree with what many have said the refusal to record boils down to the insecurity around her lost gifts in the lyric and melody dept. although as far back as Tusk I remember a ridiculous statement she made that if the album didn't sell she'd be disappointed in all of us, including those who shelled out what was then a lot of money. Truth be told, she needs to call it a day when this tour ends.

sodascouts 12-06-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Those are angry at Stevie, but they aren't in the vein of "how dare she, she's just a woman" that you stated was prominent earlier. None of them are outraged that a woman is in charge. They are outraged that STEVIE is in charge.

The "goat" thing is tiresome and juvenile, but my impression was that it was a mockery of her voice, and not related to gender.

I despise the term "b!tch" but not because I think it's misogynist (unless you think all gender-specific insults are). That said, I would absolutely love it if it never got used again.

As for the ones you bolded as the most obviously misogynist:

Quote:

The Destiny Rules documentary did the woman no favors in my view - but once the Say You Will tour was long over and she went on to bash Lindsey for the album and tour, I really lost any respect I had for her. As she keeps getting older, she honestly just comes across to me as a bigger and bigger narciscistic jerk.
"Did the man no favors" is a very common expression. Are you upset that he changed it to "woman" because Stevie is female? I actually think that's appropriate. It would sound odd to leave it as "man."

Quote:

She has become a bitter old woman who like most narcissists, finds a way to make every single event in some way about them.
So he should have said "bitter old person"? People don't talk that way. We typically use gender specific nouns when we know the gender of the person we're discussing.

These examples of so-called misogynist language are petty feeble, frankly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatherBlade
I believe the "If she had just had children she probably wouldn't be such a bitter hag" comments a couple of people made fall into this bucket. As if anyone would have made this statement about any of the men in the band if they had chosen to forgo parenthood.

Now this one I will grant you. I remember objecting to it at the time as well. Ugh. So, I stand corrected on that score.

sasja 12-06-2018 10:10 PM

A jerk is a jerk.

Why couldn't a female be as much of a jerk as a man might be? That's equality in my book.
If anything, we are all being good feminists and giving Stevie her just rights to Jerk-dom, female or no.

sasja 12-06-2018 10:24 PM

Oh right, that again, I made that comment once I recall, she should have had that baby. I still stand by it. In the sense that becoming a parent, for ANYONE, in my opinion and experience, is a development unsurpassed.
But of a man I could never say: "he should have had that baby", due to the fact of non-existent male pregnancy. Thus far anyway.

Remember how she said she was going to adopt a little girl? Even that; she should have done it. Rather than just carrying around those yippy dog accessories.

So here's me, maintaining my opinion that, had she been forced to put another person before her spoilt princess self in her life by way of becoming a parent--- I honestly feel she would have aged much more palatable.

But I also believe that of men. However, here we were discussing Stevie Nicks. Who happens to be a woman. Sue me. I could not very well call her a dog. Or a man. :]

Goat, perhaps, yeah I know.;)

Anywho, MOO.

Carry on! :thumbsup:

jmn3 12-06-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

The two you called out of mine are absolutely ridiculous and in no way are misogynistic comments. But you do you. She is a woman. Describing her using the gender is not misogyny. If I had negative commentary BECAUSE she is a woman - THAT would be different. I find Stevie’s actions and behavior to be terrible and the basis for my comments. It has nothing to do with her gender. Get a life and stop trying to find offense where it clearly wasn’t.

DownOnRodeo 12-06-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1245149)
But that's the farm animal $he most resembles. Sorry.

#factsisfacts

Bahhhhhh humbug.

Nicks Fan 12-06-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1245151)
I answered in the other thread about my excitement for her as an artist had left the building. I do still really love the Stevie of yesteryear from joining the band through to about the Wild Heart and then (mostly in hindsight) high points such as the early 90's killer vocals, late 90's Dance and Enchanted and parts of In Your Dreams and 24 K. Since then though- total meh. Her recent vocals and refusal to record have taken her off the pedestal I so proudly kept her on all these years. I agree with what many have said the refusal to record boils down to the insecurity around her lost gifts in the lyric and melody dept. although as far back as Tusk I remember a ridiculous statement she made that if the album didn't sell she'd be disappointed in all of us, including those who shelled out what was then a lot of money. Truth be told, she needs to call it a day when this tour ends.

This is exactly how I feel. I was a big fan, but I wasn't so in love with her that I excused past and present behavior. The same goes for any artist I like. I can really like a singer or Actor but not appreciate when they do things that I feel are wrong. With SN there are some fans who truly view her as some god like figure and they have an excuse for any negative thing you bring up including the events of this year. And that is where some of us differ. I can still like her music but not the person she has become or accept what happened this year and be ok with it.

HomerMcvie 12-07-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasja (Post 1245155)
Oh right, that again, I made that comment once I recall, she should have had that baby. I still stand by it. In the sense that becoming a parent, for ANYONE, in my opinion and experience, is a development unsurpassed.
But of a man I could never say: "he should have had that baby", due to the fact of non-existent male pregnancy. Thus far anyway.

Remember how she said she was going to adopt a little girl? Even that; she should have done it. Rather than just carrying around those yippy dog accessories.

So here's me, maintaining my opinion that, had she been forced to put another person before her spoilt princess self in her life by way of becoming a parent--- I honestly feel she would have aged much more palatable.

But I also believe that of men. However, here we were discussing Stevie Nicks. Who happens to be a woman. Sue me. I could not very well call her a dog. Or a man. :]

Goat, perhaps, yeah I know.;)

Anywho, MOO.

Carry on! :thumbsup:

I remember this well, and agree completely. It's NOT about her aborting her baby, it's about her learning to be a giving, unselfish person. Having a child will certainly do that. Or so I'm told. I mean, I hope to never find out personally. But I've heard stories about children. (Shudder) :laugh:

HomerMcvie 12-07-2018 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1245159)
Bahhhhhh humbug.

Merry Nicksmas...err....Goatmas,Joe.

The Chain 12-07-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1245158)
The two you called out of mine are absolutely ridiculous and in no way are misogynistic comments. But you do you. She is a woman. Describing her using the gender is not misogyny. If I had negative commentary BECAUSE she is a woman - THAT would be different. I find Stevie’s actions and behavior to be terrible and the basis for my comments. It has nothing to do with her gender. Get a life and stop trying to find offense where it clearly wasn’t.

amen.. its impossible that you might just find this woman atrocious because of her own terrible actions/attitudes..you MUST be a sexist if you criticize Stevie, for anything, ever!:rolleyes: the lack of self awareness and common sense from some of the posters here really disturbs me:sorry:

mitzo 12-07-2018 07:26 AM

Maybe what some here do not see is that those of us who appear to be defending Stevie (and maybe Mick) are not so much adoring and defending our goddess, but rather are indifferent to Lindsey's firing and pushing back against the anti-Stevie hysteria around that.